47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 201.
#8701 8 years ago

Cutting corners and features is one thing.

Raising costs at the same time is another.

Plus it's devastating for foreign buyers with the currency exchange.

Wasn't Stern always going to consider alternative contract production with their increased facility size?

They sold more pins in the last 4 yrs than the previous 11 per Iceman5000. That trend can't continue

#8702 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That trend can't continue

#8703 8 years ago
Quoted from mattster:

GoT is ok but TH is awesome. To compare these two makes it easy to look into the heart of each company.
Gary manufactures pinball machines to make money.
Jack manufactures pinball machines to make pinball enthusiasts happy.

You keep telling yourself that, fanboi. Maybe the prices will fall in line once you and your brethren are done giving JJP exactly as much money as you can. Until then, I'm pretty sure the price reflects a desire for profit and the deliveries indicate a greater need for cash than the happiness of pinball enthusiasts.

#8704 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Was there a price cut that I missed? All I've seen are both Stern and JJP raising prices over the last 4 or so years.

And what product? TH is delayed big time. Stern sees that people still pay $$$ for a game, so why not raise the price if they can. "Its a business, not Unicef!"

#8705 8 years ago

JJP pins are better than HEPs, and a lot cheaper too.

#8706 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Bingo. If Stern continues down the path they are with cutting more corners and lowering feature sets they will realize quickly that more and more people will stop buying their games.

Dear God, how many more corners can they possibly cut?

It wouldn't bother me quite as much if the prices dropped a bit.

#8707 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

...says the guy who never got one.

#8708 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...says the guy who never got one.

Sorry but I had a HEP MM in my collection for many years.

#8709 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Bingo. If Stern continues down the path they are with cutting more corners and lowering feature sets they will realize quickly that more and more people will stop buying their games. Cost cutting + renting a bigger factory is the worst thing Stern could do.

JSUK: Route Operators love the fact that Stern is cutting corners and costs. They are lowering the prices of the machines they sell to operators. Simpler machines have fewer service calls. They are selling more of them to Operators than they did in the last several years.

JJP is also selling more to Operators.

#8710 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Sorry but I had a HEP MM in my collection for many years.

Sorry but a 2006 version isn't too relevant these days.

#8711 8 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

#8712 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I am sure if some WOZ owners sent them straight to Chris they would have less issues to deal with.. Hey Chris have you done a WOZ yet?

#8713 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

JSUK: Route Operators love the fact that Stern is cutting corners and costs. They are lowering the prices of the machines they sell to operators. Simpler machines have fewer service calls. They are selling more of them to Operators than they did in the last several years.
JJP is also selling more to Operators.

Well many of us are not operators. Why is Stern stripping down their recent premiums and LE's as well which are targeted to mainly collector's / home owners? That's going to bite them in the ass if it hasn't already. An Adams Family pinball callout says it best "Greeeeeed".

Anyway this thread should be about The Hobbit. The guy JJP got to do the Gandalf call outs sounds pretty much spot on. I believe Jack said that there's going to be at least one more voice actor, possibly two, hired for custom call outs. I'm guessing it has to be for Smaug.

#8714 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

there's going to be at least one more voice actor, possibly two, hired for custom call outs. I'm guessing it has to be for Smaug.

Probably - though that one may be tough. Perhaps Gollum?

#8715 8 years ago

Thanks to Blimpey I now have a swapbox for my Hobbit Translite.IMG_0573.JPGIMG_0573.JPG

#8716 8 years ago

Thanks. I'm sure you've learned some things over the years. So what should they be called...from that earlier era? Medium end? Buzzed, but not yet High end?

Good to know that the era may impact quality and therefore market value. That is if I ever decide to get really anal about my pins.

#8717 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Probably - though that one may be tough. Perhaps Gollum?

Yeah, I'm thinking Gollum too. I bet JJP ended up hiring Quinton Kappel for not only Gandalf but also Gollum. The Gandalf impressions in the video below sound extremely close to the ones in the clip JJP just put out.

Based on the few Gandalf call outs JJP included in the clip it sounds like they had Quinton (if that is who they hired) to do a bunch of pinball specific call outs which is only going to make the game even better. Personally I think that the The Hobbit is going to have the best sound, rule and animation design every created for a pinball machine.

As for Smaug yeah definitely a tougher one but check this guys impression out. He sounds fairly spot on. With Smaug being the main toy in The Hobbit you would think that JJP would want to have custom call outs for the toy to increase it's use. If a voice actor for Smaug lines was not hired JJP will be limited to the Smaug lines in the film which really are not many.

#8718 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks. I'm sure you've learned some things over the years. So what should they be called...from that earlier era? Medium end? Buzzed, but not yet High end?
Good to know that the era may impact quality and therefore market value. That is if I ever decide to get really anal about my pins.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-evolution-of-hephigh-end-pins

#8720 8 years ago

So your work wasn't that relevant in 2006 yet you still charged THOUSANDS for your work back then. Interesting.

#8721 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So your work wasn't that relevant in 2006 yet you still charged THOUSANDS for your work back then. Interesting.

No it was your attempt to compare a second hand 2006 restoration to a 2016 newly designed and built game that was irrelevant.

According to you everything is better than HEP even though you never spent a dime here.
I just wanted to make sure your comments were put in proper perspective.

#8722 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Why don't you send Chris one of your machines and see the incredible work he does on them? Then you can talk smack if you want. Watching him post progress photos as he works on your grail pin is better than sex. (And the sex is pret-ty good 'round these parts... ) If I could afford it, I'd do it again and again and again.

#8723 8 years ago

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed reading the history of your business. Thanks for what you have done and continue to do for our hobby.

#8724 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Right. He was supposed to either do it for free, or never improve on his techniques.

#8725 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why don't you send Chris one of your machines and see the incredible work he does on them? Then you can talk smack if you want. Watching him post progress photos as he works on your grail pin is better than sex. (And the sex is pret-ty good 'round these parts... ) If I could afford it, I'd do it again and again and again.

What is this thing called "sex"? Where can I buy some?

#8726 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Watching him post progress photos as he works on your grail pin is better than sex.

HEP does amazing work but unless his pin come back with a glory hole I'll need to disagree.

Centerflank put your checkbook away Chris is not adding this option in 2016!

#8727 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps, but would you rather have Lexy Lightspeed or the Hobbit? Heck maybe you like both (are you in on the P3 Pre Order also?)

I'm in on both, and I'm much more excited about Lexy. Hobbit at best is going to be an awesome pinball machine on the level we've all played before. Lexy at best will provide an experience unique to anything that has come before it. Not saying in the end Hobbit might not end up being more fun, but the ceiling potential of the two aren't close.

#8728 8 years ago

There's something a little bit awesome about the naked ego of HEP.

If you compare something to HEP- you are chastised.

Now we have escalated into getting berated for daring to compare HEP .......... to HEP!

Moving forward: please reference a date code when discussing HEP to avoid this faux pas

Pretty lofty stuff for guys who essentially just shop a pinball machine...granted a REALLY good shop job.... but still !

#8729 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Pretty lofty stuff for guys who essentially just shop a pinball machine

You and I have very different understandings of "shopping" a pinball machine.

#8730 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Watching him post progress photos as he works on your grail pin is better than sex.

You are doing something very wrong or need a partner.....

#8731 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

There's something a little bit awesome about the naked ego of HEP.
If you compare something to HEP- you are chastised.
Now we have escalated into getting berated for daring to compare HEP .......... to HEP!
Moving forward: please reference a date code when discussing HEP to avoid this faux pas
Pretty lofty stuff for guys who essentially just shop a pinball machine...granted a REALLY good shop job.... but still !

Sounds like you read or want to read a lot more into that sentence than what was said.

Where did I berate someone and where did someone compare a HEP to a HEP?

What actually happened was a non customer just tried to compare a 2006 second hand MM restoration to a brand new 2015 or 2016 JJP product.
I put it in the proper perspective because it was vague and irrelevant. What would at least be closer to relevance in my mind would be comparing a fresh and current product to a fresh and current product.
Is that so bad or unreasonable?
There are people that can't wait to spin things or create controversy.
There isn't any.

#8732 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

HEP does amazing work but unless his pin come back with a glory hole I'll need to disagree.
Centerflank put your checkbook away Chris is not adding this option in 2016!

I had Chris put a glory hole just below my start button. Gives a whole new meaning to "super ball."

Best. Indy. EVER.

#8733 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I had Chris put a glory hole just below my start button. Gives a whole new meaning to "super ball."

Guess who is lurking on the other side of that hole? Your pick...

alien___h_r__giger_bar_usa.jpgalien___h_r__giger_bar_usa.jpg

1387183002000-HTDOS-SMAUG-0071.jpg1387183002000-HTDOS-SMAUG-0071.jpg

#8734 8 years ago

More shiny Hobbit Toys getting finished up today at Back Alley Creations!

11863449_1053489998002929_2859513518808482678_n.jpg11863449_1053489998002929_2859513518808482678_n.jpg
12011332_1053490038002925_828595753755010570_n.jpg12011332_1053490038002925_828595753755010570_n.jpg

#8735 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You and I have very different understandings of "shopping" a pinball machine.

I increased the number of smiley's from 1 to 3 to underscore I was kidding....

#8736 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Vic came in with attitude, and Vic might be the nicest guy in the world, but you don't walk into a party at someone's house and spit on the floor...

Vic is a legend!
Look up Working Designs! Glad to see you here, Vic!

#8737 8 years ago

Nice to see that those mountains of gold are being made in large batches. And I like that Jack is sharing photos of the progress.

#8738 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

More shiny Hobbit Toys getting finished up today at Back Alley Creations!

Hmmm, is Matt a member of the "Chicago Pinball Mafia", holding out on parts just to stymie JJP production?!?

[Grabs pitchfork and Googles "Back Alley Creations"....]

Nope... "Schererville, Indiana". That's gotta be several thousand miles away from Chicago.

Carry on, then.

#8739 8 years ago
Quoted from mattster:

It apears to me that JJP has cut into his profit margin to give you and me a superior product. When was the last time Stern did that?

It's just a different business model. JJP can't afford to have a miss, so it's more profitable in the long run to do everything possible to make sure it has enduring sales. Stern can just move on to other titles and sell them.

They're both doing what's best for their profits...

#8740 8 years ago

It's nice to see some progress

#8741 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Guess who is lurking on the other side of that hole? Your pick...

alien___h_r__giger_bar_usa.jpg 1387183002000-HTDOS-SMAUG-0071.jpg

could be worse, could be rebel wilson or amy schumer

#8742 8 years ago
#8743 8 years ago

Though the wait is killing me for my Hobbit, I've just now decided that when it arrives, I'm immediately packing it up and shipping it to Chris to have it HEP'd.

I expect that when I unbox my HEP'd Hobbit, a chorus of Angels will sing my praises, the refugee crisis will be solved, climate change will reverse, and somebody on Pinside will call me an idiot.

#8744 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Though the wait is killing me for my Hobbit, I've just now decided that when it arrives, I'm immediately packing it up and shipping it to Chris to have it HEP'd.
I expect that when I unbox my HEP'd Hobbit, a chorus of Angels will sing my praises, the refugee crisis will be solved, climate change will reverse, and somebody on Pinside will call me an idiot.

We can call you an idiot first to cross one thing off the list if it helps?

#8745 8 years ago

Lol was beginning to think something was wrong with me. Thank you!

#8746 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This got me thinking about all the stuff thawing out in the Russian permafrost due to climate change. Wouldn't it be neat if scientists stumbled across a very early pinball machine recently de-frozen that a Neanderthal used? Not really a modern pin but really, really old one - one without flippers?

#8747 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

This got me thinking about all the stuff thawing out in the Russian permafrost due to climate change. Wouldn't it be neat if scientists stumbled across a very early pinball machine recently de-frozen that a Neanderthal used? Not really a modern pin but really, really old one - one without flippers?

I'll have what he's drinking.

#8748 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I'll have what he's drinking.

I think that might be the most insane post on pinside.

#8749 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I think that might be the most insane post on pinside.

Oh, stick around...

#8750 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

They already have that, It's called " The Flintstones "

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/175 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.