Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 201.
#8601 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Exciting times for JJP ahead, they sound more confident about releasing TH in Fall, so what's that, end of November at the latest?

Not to be a wet blanket but "fall" technically ends December 22 this year (the winter solstice). Of course we all hope they have games on the line before then.

#8602 4 years ago

Sweat update, hope Jack continues to deliver interesting updates all the way up to when games are shipping. Keep the buzz going - I am looking forward to my SE, glad I hung in there.

Maybe it's just me but as the video teaser ends it's pretty cool how that video forms the backglass of the game in the JJP ad. Well done JP.

Oh and Gandalf sounds pretty damn good.

#8603 4 years ago

The game is looking fantastic! The only disconnect in the look for me is the silver ramps. I think brass would look so much better. I wonder how hard it would be to change the finish later.

#8604 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The game is looking fantastic! The only disconnect in the look for me is the silver ramps. I think brass would look so much better. I wonder how hard it would be to change the finish later.

I recall Alex posting a while back that powder coated ramps is not a good idea due to the amount of contact they receive from pinballs. As for actual brass that may look awesome but the entire ramp assembly looks pretty big and I'm sure the whole thing in brass wouldn't be cheap.

#8605 4 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

One person says it and now it's a lot?

People said it in different ways!!!

#8606 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

the independent drop targets and the interactive dragon.

whats the dragon do.

#8607 4 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

whats the dragon do.

Mouth moves, head turns.

#8608 4 years ago

You changed your Hobbit order for GoT....
obama_change.jpg

#8609 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Mouth moves, head turns.

Talks, taunts the player.

#8610 4 years ago

Anyone notice that it appears there are two black brackets that hold the apron in place on the outside of the apron instead of the hardware being under the apron?

Capture.png

#8611 4 years ago

Ugh, yeah after the whole GOTLE and now seeing updated pf of TH..starting to regret canceling mine too.. was in way early Nov 2012 and just got sick of waiting in May..
and was $1200 less than MSRP, including shipping at the time... bummer!

#8612 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I recall Alex posting a while back that powder coated ramps is not a good idea due to the amount of contact they receive from pinballs. As for actual brass that may look awesome but the entire ramp assembly looks pretty big and I'm sure the whole thing in brass wouldn't be cheap.

Powder coating ramps is a TERRIBLE idea. Habittrails are ok as they have a pre-determined path they take so ball tracks aren't an issue. In a ramp you don't want a groove to be created. The powder isn't thick but repeated pathing from the ball can certainly create a valley and that isn't something you want on a ramp.

#8613 4 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Ugh, yeah after the whole GOTLE and now seeing updated pf of TH..starting to regret canceling mine too.. was in way early Nov 2012 and just got sick of waiting in May..
and was $1200 less than MSRP, including shipping at the time... bummer!

Kind of surprised this is still around now:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hobbit-smaug-gold-spot-for-sale-8000

something to consider if you wanted back in... (I have no relation to buyer/seller - just remember seeing it a few months back)

#8614 4 years ago

The "victory" that JJP gets to declare is:

1) The appearance of TH blows away GOT

2) Given what's included in TH, notwithstanding how it plays versus GOT, most people recognize the major value proposition that JJP has over a full featured Stern pin right now.

Because of 1) and 2) above, I would consider "owning" TH if it was great fun, despite canceling my pre order. And I won't consider "owning" a GOTLE because of 1) and 2).

Doesn't mean GOT won't be great to play. I'll be happy to play the $7900 LE on location or at a friends house! I won't "own" it, like many others.

#8615 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

2) Given what's included in TH, notwithstanding how it plays versus GOT, most people recognize the major value proposition that JJP has over a full featured Stern pin right now.
Because of 1) and 2) above, I would consider "owning" TH if it was great fun, despite canceling my pre order. And I won't consider "owning" a GOTLE because of 1) and 2).
Doesn't mean GOT won't be great to play. I'll be happy to play the $7900 LE on location or at a friends house! I won't "own" it, like many others.

I waited to buy a TWDLE and STLE for a year after their respective releases - their code is finally complete, more character callouts were added (albeit not by Stern on TWD), and both were cheaper than at release time.

I can see doing the same on GOT LE/Prem if alternate translite art is available and the game plays really well.

#8616 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, considering all of the sticker artwork that is on the sides of the ramps (that you'd have to replace) having those dipped would be a fairly pricey thing.

I'm still considering doing it though, if we can get the replacement stickers!

#8617 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

heat tint the stainless

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140

#8618 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Also, I think Matt said way back that he has some mod ideas (like WOZ 75th) - so more eye candy can be pilled on if you like.

I hope he can mod some proper background scenery for the pops.

I still say keep that dwarf in the second barrel and move that LCD to the apron.... (yeah, yeah... not going to happen...)

#8619 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone notice that it appears there are two black brackets that hold the apron in place on the outside of the apron instead of the hardware being under the apron?

Capture.png
Capture.png

I believe those are just some sort of light shields...extra lights are always good!

#8620 4 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Kind of surprised this is still around now:

It's not. That was my spot. Played the machine a bunch at NWPAS, and it wasn't for me. It's gorgeous, though.

#8621 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I find myself (oddly) agreeing with this 100%.

I wouldnt preorder EITHER machine as-is.... But anxiously await playing them both before making a purchasing decision.

But i dont think a GOTLE is even a remote possibilty- not eniugh bag for the buck.... I find the stern LEs generally to be poor values. Stern premiums seem to (usually) be the best cost/value combination.

#8622 4 years ago

GoT is ok but TH is awesome. To compare these two makes it easy to look into the heart of each company.

Gary manufactures pinball machines to make money.

Jack manufactures pinball machines to make pinball enthusiasts happy.

#8623 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I hope he can mod some proper background scenery for the pops.
I still say keep that dwarf in the second barrel and move that LCD to the apron.... (yeah, yeah... not going to happen...)

It may happen on a few games.

#8624 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Not sure I get you..... Are you trying to be a troll or just can't help it?

I don't understand?

#8625 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Powder coating ramps is a TERRIBLE idea. Habittrails are ok as they have a pre-determined path they take so ball tracks aren't an issue. In a ramp you don't want a groove to be created. The powder isn't thick but repeated pathing from the ball can certainly create a valley and that isn't something you want on a ramp.

I wonder what material Gottlieb used for the ramps on Stargate?

stargateramps.jpg

#8626 4 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I don't understand?

Do you have TH on order???

#8627 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

People said it in different ways!!!

Maybe so, but people say these things every time a new game from Stern comes out. I don't know why people have to pick a side. I enjoy Sterns and my WOZ. Both have negatives and positives.

#8628 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Do you have TH on order???

LOL, nice try.

#8629 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I wonder what material Gottlieb used for the ramps on Stargate?

Not exactly sure but I was able to clean the gold off my Stargate ramps.

#8630 4 years ago

Thought for the 3rd flipper. What if the drop targets only counted when they were hit from the upper flipper? So if you hit them from the lower flippers they pop right back up and give you a very small score. But if you feed the upper flipper from the left orbit the drops stay down. Thoughts?

edit: might be tough to calculate timing difference between upper flipper as opposed to left orbit to bottom flipper.

#8631 4 years ago

I like having an extra flipper to make shots, even if they can also be made by the lower flippers, as it gives different shot angles.

I think lowering the W drop target to reveal the hole when making the left orbit (for a brief period of time) is a good idea. I don't think differentiating between the upper or lower flipper would be that important as I would expect hitting it with the lower flipper on the fly would be very difficult.

#8632 4 years ago
Quoted from mattster:

GoT is ok but TH is awesome. To compare these two makes it easy to look into the heart of each company.
Gary manufactures pinball machines to make money.
Jack manufactures pinball machines to make pinball enthusiasts happy.

We don't know what GoT is yet because nobody has played it.

TH may be awesome, but it's no WOZ.

#8633 4 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

So if you hit them from the lower flippers they pop right back up and give you a very small score. But if you feed the upper flipper from the left orbit the drops stay down. Thoughts?

Joe Balcer talked about this at the Heighway party. Check out Pinballnews for the audio.
www.pinballnews.com/
http://heighwaypinball.com/news/

#8634 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Joe Balcer talked about this at the Heighway party. Check out Pinballnews for the audio.
http://www.pinballnews.com/
http://heighwaypinball.com/news/

I'm at work, it's Friday, and I drank too much last night. Can you post a more specific link so I don't have to dig for it?

#8635 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I believe those are just some sort of light shields...extra lights are always good!

Exactly what these are...there are light strips that shine through slots in the front of the apron. This bracket shields them from the players view.

#8636 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

WOZ is great, but I don't know if TH is better or not until played. WOZ looks fantastic, and plays pretty well too, but TH has made great changes to get it - at least very close - to the bar JJP set with WOZ. Your first JJP pin was WOZ, mine will be the Hobbit. Which is better may just boil down to theme and play style preferences. They both set a very high bar on the theme integration, LCD, and overall PF beauty.

#8637 4 years ago

I think the rules on TH are going to far surpass the rules on WOZ

#8638 4 years ago

Full disclosure: my wife liked WOZ, and the kids and I voted Hobbit. SO...we ordered the hobbit. (Ill get the WOZ next, if JJP #3 or Star Wars don't beat it)

EDIT: If JJP does Star Wars that is.

#8639 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Exactly what these are...there are light strips that shine through slots in the front of the apron. This bracket shields them from the players view.

I wonder if I could replace the WOZ apron with one of these

#8640 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

We don't know what GoT is yet because nobody has played it.

Woz is an amazing game and is so loaded with stuff. Hobbit is more open with less stuff on the surface, but I'm hoping it will also be amazing in it's own ways.

To me, pinball is basically a "shooting gallery" type of game. Fun shots that when hit give a satisfying result in the form of points, sound, lighting effects and game progression.

I'm thinking JJP did not go through all the effort to put 11 individually controlled drop targets in the game (with stand-up targets behind them) just to use them as they've been used in the past. Cactus Canyon only has 4 individual drop targets (not in banks) and they really add to the gameplay.

Even though the playfield layout looks a little ho-hum, the potential is there with the Hobbit to create a playing experience unlike anything we've seen in the past.

For example, I can envision a mode where one drop target cycles around the playfield or another where an opening between the drop targets cycles instead. You can create a similar effect with insert lights but there is just something special about mechanical movement to me.

That potential combined with the degree of polish JJP put into WOZ, the LCD assets, sound, lighting and animated talking Smaug are what have me anticipating one heck of a shooting gallery.

It's all up to the imagination of the programmers and the time they are given to work on it.

#8641 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

WOZ is great, but I don't know if TH is better or not until played. WOZ looks fantastic, and plays pretty well too, but TH has made great changes to get it - at least very close - to the bar JJP set with WOZ. Your first JJP pin was WOZ, mine will be the Hobbit. Which is better may just boil down to theme and play style preferences. They both set a very high bar on the theme integration, LCD, and overall PF beauty.

Very fair. WOZ was the machine that got me into this hobby. One quick, really badly played game, and I knew I had to own it. Hobbit is probably a dream theme for you, and that helps, of course. But I've been underwhelmed every time I've played Hobbit. People say code will make it better, and I really hope it will because it's a ridiculously beautiful machine.

And I really hope JJP gets the Star Wars license...even if it takes him 10 years to build it. They do make amazing machines, and I'm looking forward to Pat's machine.

#8642 4 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I'm at work, it's Friday, and I drank too much last night. Can you post a more specific link so I don't have to dig for it?

Short version: Balcer wanted to make upper flippers required for some shots. They discovered it was just too hard to tell when the upper flipper made the shots and abandoned the idea.

#8643 4 years ago

I'm at work too and I can't go to pinballnews b/c it's blocked.

#8644 4 years ago

I think both TH and WoZ look amazing, but I was not a fan of the gameplay on WoZ at all. Just let me kind of "meh". Didn't help that I didn't like the theme. Also really disliked the Hobbit films (could only get through the first one), so not something I can see myself buying anytime soon unless the gameplay is "BEST EVAH".

#8645 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I think both TH and WoZ look amazing, but I was not a fan of the gameplay on WoZ at all. Just let me kind of "meh". Didn't help that I didn't like the theme. Also really disliked the Hobbit films (could only get through the first one), so not something I can see myself buying anytime soon unless the gameplay is "BEST EVAH".

I'm not a fan of Hobbit either. In fact never been a fan of the Harry Potter, Munchkin, Trolls, dragons, etc. but as I looked for a back up for my WOZ (which is a bit unreliable) I really couldn't justify a non-LCD pin like Star Trek, AC/DC, or KISS. Though I had a really nice time on AC/DC and especially Star Trek they seem outdated compared to WOZ and in the end I ordered a Hobbit. I wish Stern would get on board with a video display, especially if they can do it for $5995 because while they can produce a really FUN game everything seems a bit like yesterdays news with the 1980's dot matrix.

#8646 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm not a fan of Hobbit either. In fact never been a fan of the Harry Potter, Munchkin, Trolls, dragons, etc. but as I looked for a back up for my WOZ (which is a bit unreliable) I really couldn't justify a non-LCD pin like Star Trek, AC/DC, or KISS. Though I had a really nice time on AC/DC and especially Star Trek they seem outdated compared to WOZ and in the end I ordered a Hobbit. I wish Stern would get on board with a video display, especially if they can do it for $5995 because while they can produce a really FUN game everything seems a bit like yesterdays news with the 1980's dot matrix.

I guess everyone has different things that are crucial when it comes to purchasing. Display tech is fairly low down on my list. Theme and gameplay are my two primary concerns when looking at what to get next.

Saying that, I wish Stern would get to an LCD too. Red dots do not do it. Although, other than my Star Trek all my other Sterns now have colorized DoTs through ColorDMD and they look pretty sharp.

As for the Hobbit, I hope they have made better use of the large LCD than on WoZ. Maybe things improved on later code generations since I last played WoZ, but it was underwhelming.

#8647 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I guess everyone has different things that are crucial when it comes to purchasing. Display tech is fairly low down on my list. Theme and gameplay are my two primary concerns when looking at what to get next.
Saying that, I wish Stern would get to an LCD too. Red dots do not do it. Although, other than my Star Trek all my other Sterns now have colorized DoTs through ColorDMD and they look pretty sharp.
As for the Hobbit, I hope they have made better use of the large LCD than on WoZ. Maybe things improved on later code generations since I last played WoZ, but it was underwhelming.

I really can't argue with that. If you can just picture AC/DC or Star Trek with video display they would be awesome instead of very good.
WOZ is the first to incorporate the LCD screen but I expect we'll be talking about how primitive WOZ is someday. Hobbit should incorporate LCD much better and JJP#3 even better. LCD is the future as much as numeric displays replaced scoring reels.

#8648 4 years ago

I really think JJP changed pinball with WOZ. I want to buy one because it's so cool. I don't mind the theme. But since that was JJP first machine. I'm scared of all the problems with it and their early productions runs.

TH doesn't quite look as fun as WOZ. But JJP really does set the bar for awesomeness of pins.

I just prefer the theme of GOT.

The hobbit theme. I just can't get the image of these really "nerdy" guys playing with their cards and dice crap at Boston pizza on a Friday night drinking non stop pop while taking up a table which me and my teammates could have used after a game.

With that rant. If JJP did get a Star Wars theme. I would probably be on a pre order hahaga

#8649 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

The hobbit theme. I just can't get the imagine of these really "nerdy" guys playing with their cards and dice crap at Boston pizza

#8650 4 years ago

There isn't a game in existence or even in the pipeline that is as technologically advanced as a JJP pin. WOZ raised the bar. The Hobbit is more of a wide open play field, however, the prototype I played completely captivated and immersed me and I have no doubt that the final release will be as awesome as WOZ, even though it's going to be quite a drastically different layout and game play style. Variety is nice, and I'm glad JJP is pushing the envelope and turning out some amazing things in the process.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Fe, NM
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside