Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 201.
#8301 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I dunno.
"Here's where we are with Hobbit, isn't this progress really cool."
Might be better than
"Here's what we have been working on instead of the game you paid for two years ago."

I certainly don't advocate announcing details on Pat's game before an update on Hobbit. But if Hobbit is in production (or about to be) around Expo, no reason not to show Pat's game.

#8302 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Disagree, I think a lot of people would have jumped from the hobbit to a pat lawlor game.

So then you don't think JJP should release any details on Pat's game until 800 or 900 Hobbits have shipped?

#8303 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

So then you don't think JJP should release any details on Pat's game until 800 or 900 Hobbits have shipped?

Don't need 800 or 900 but it should at least start shipping or show off signs that it's close to shipping. At this point you have a lot of doom and gloom being talked about, if they announced another game and started asking for money for the third game when people in on the second still don't know when they will actually get the game it doesn't look good.

At least show off some more of the hobbit, or get it on test locations or get it to some early buyers and have some hype going for it before announced the next game imo.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

#8304 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I got out of TH but man I would still love to see a properly made turtorial of gameplay, could keep some people in who are ready to jump ship and maybe even bring a few new buyers aboard. Just a thought.

I got out too after Expo and it blows my mind why JJP wouldn't do a high quality series of videos that show gameplay and release them once a week until the game comes out.

I'd also do a podcast interviewing Keith, David, Ted etc., weekly, to keep interest up and promote more sales.

And try and figure out anything and everything else I could to keep this pin and theme relevant in the face of the GOT announcement.

I understand there must have been cash flow issues and vendor problems but man, this thing with TH has been BOTCHED beyond belief.

How many years in development was TH before Expo last year? How wrong did they get it? Wow. They have blown a full year by not seeing the huge mistakes leading up to Expo. Woz was going to be "the worst pin JJP ever makes".

The whole thing really is mind blowing. I feel bad for those guys, hopefully it has a happy ending and everybody that has a TH on order gets it asap.

#8305 4 years ago

It seems like Stern just announced KISS yesterday. And today we now have GOT. They don't seem to be too worried about cannibalizing their sales from title to title. What they are doing is cannibalizing current and future JJP sales.

JJP better get TH out today and announce Lawlor tomorrow.

#8306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And try and figure out anything and everything else I could to keep this pin and theme relevant in the face of the GOT announcement.

What's funny is when they do their show talk, and get Thiel and Butch up there to chat they have plenty to say. In totally public settings, so none of it is secret. And yet, if you don't watch some nerdy Twitch stream or you're not lucky enough to be at a seminar you'd never know.

All you see on Pinside is JJP employees being grumpy. All you see on Facebook is people standing next to overpriced RR WOZes. Their strategy mystifies me.

Keith posts here! He's a legend that even the worst haters have to respect. I don't get why he's not at least chatting up the code a little, keep the fires stoked. He had a lot to say in the beginning about how he was going to show everyone how a mode based game was done, and then silence.

#8307 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All you see on Pinside is JJP employees being grumpy.

Hey now, I'm pretty effin far from being grumpy.

LTG : )

#8308 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hey now, I'm pretty effin far from being grumpy.

This is true! But as you've pointed out, you're not technically an employee. If everyone from any company had your attitude we'd live in a land of eternal sunshine!

#8309 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But as you've pointed out, you're not technically an employee.

I'd consider myself an employee.

Jack hired me first. The rest came later.

#8310 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Agree
JJP spokesperson "Hello Expo 2015 crowd, sorry to announce we have no info on the next game release, we are still trying to figure out how to make Hobbit, so bear with us."

Or

"Hello fellow supporters. Regretfully the godamn parts suppliers are still to blame for the delays.... Damn chicago mafia...."

#8311 4 years ago

Sometimes there is something called the exception that proves the rule.

Lloyd is that exception.

You are a gem amongst pinball man. Any company that has you on their team is lucky.

#8312 4 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Stern actually releases / produces games so you can see and purchase the sum of their efforts.
They do not need to say whats next becasue its in the pipeline and happens on a regular basis.
JJP, not so much.

If JJP releases anything on Lawlor's games the sharks will pounce and pronounce Hobbit dead as they have with the announcement of GoT. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I wouldn't release a single tidbit on Lawlor's game until it's ready to ship (like Stern does). Pre-orders are dead, so why reveal anything until then?

#8313 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It seems like Stern just announced KISS yesterday. And today we now have GOT. They don't seem to be too worried about cannibalizing their sales from title to title. What they are doing is cannibalizing current and future JJP sales.
JJP better get TH out today and announce Lawlor tomorrow.

Yes, get Hobbit out THEN announce/show Lawlor's game.

#8314 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If JJP releases anything on Lawlor's games the sharks will pounce and pronounce Hobbit dead as they have with the announcement of GoT. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I wouldn't release a single tidbit on Lawlor's game until it's ready to ship (like Stern does). Pre-orders are dead, so why reveal anything until then?

Why not show Lawlor stuff? Show that JJP is looking towards the future and will be around for awhile.

Who in their right mind would dump their Hobbit order to get on a wait list for JJP3 that might be another 2-3 years down the road.

Edit----Just go the Jpop route and show some art sketches That had people mesmerized for quite awhile, get the taste buds salivating.

#8315 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's like saying Hobbit pronounces WOZ dead. They're still building/selling WOZ. It's important for a factory to have multiple titles on the line so the company has multiple products to sell. Does GoT make Kiss, TWD, ST, Mustang, etc dead? Nope. Stern will build all to meet demand from customers. More choices = more customers. You can't force someone to want Hobbit. They either do or don't. If they don't, maybe they'll want a WOZ or Lawlor-Mystery-Game instead.

#8316 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Why not show Lawlor stuff? Show that JJP is looking towards the future and will be around for awhile.
Who in their right mind would dump their Hobbit order to get on a wait list for JJP3 that might be another 2-3 years down the road.

Because it would be old news by the time it's released...kind of like Hobbit is.

Really, doesn't it feel like it's been out for a while already?

#8317 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's like saying Hobbit pronounces WOZ dead. They're still building/selling WOZ. It's important for a factory to have multiple titles on the line so the company has multiple products to sell. Does GoT make Kiss, TWD, ST, Mustang, etc dead? Nope. Stern will build all to meet demand from customers. More choices = more customers. You can't force someone to want Hobbit. They either do or don't. If they don't, maybe they'll want a WOZ or Lawlor-Mystery-Game instead.

I see your point, but GoT might just kill other Stern sales...depends how cool it is, and if JJP 3 was coming out in a few months I would agree with you. When do you think JJP 3 will be made? Maybe a year from now? Too soon to announce anything.

#8318 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Because it would be old news by the time it's released...kind of like Hobbit is.
Really, doesn't it feel like it's been out for a while already?

I don't know, if I were employed as a sales rep/spokesperson for JJP Id be trying to pump up as much enthusiasm for anything.

If JJP has nothing to show at Expo time, it would be a very dull showing for them......Would be sweet if they showed up with a truckload of Hobbits for some of the pre-order guys that are at Expo, now that would be fucking awesome!

#8319 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I see your point, but GoT might just kill other Stern sales...depends how cool it is, and if JJP 3 was coming out in a few months I would agree with you. When do you think JJP 3 will be made? Maybe a year from now? Too soon to announce anything.

I think you massively overestimate how one game "negatively affects" sales of another. IMO - there is generally zero correlation. Most companies make multiple products. That's how business works...is Charmin worried that one type of toilet paper is taking away sales from their 10 other types? More choice...more market share...it's all good.

#8320 4 years ago

Well, there are only limited persons that can afford and are willing to pay for a pinball machine. Otherwise we would have ten companies building game after game like in the 80's. Point is that the customer span of interrest is only limited. So when you present a product we linger and drool for a while and get the cash together, if then there is no product we get a setback and negativity kicks in. Until the point we think its vapourware and we just laugh about it. The only thing a company can do about that is timing and managing customer expectations. I think JJP can learn something here. You need to be in time and get product out, even in limited numbers, keep us drooling.....

#8321 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wouldn't mind a few more AC/DC's produced is Stern wants to.

#8322 4 years ago

GOT pics released! Rest easy JJP, The Hobbit looks far better and easily offers the better value.

#8323 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GOT pics released! Rest easy JJP, The Hobbit looks far better and easily offers the better value.

Maybe. In as much as there is still no Stern LCD, then yes. Also not widebody, but then again, miniplayfields increase playable real estate vs typical standard bodies.

One has to see gameplay first before judging too much.

But "rest easy"? No, never. Pretty cutthroat out there.

#8324 4 years ago

Interesting to see the influence (hesitate to use the word plagiarism) of TH on the pro with regards to the ramps. Knowing this has been blatantly copied cheapens it slightly, was hoping to see something more unique. Not blown away with either to be honest.

#8325 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Interesting to see the influence (hesitate to use the word plagiarism) of TH on the pro with regards to the ramps. Knowing this has been blatantly copied cheapens it slightly, was hoping to see something more unique. Not blown away with either to be honest.

"Plagiarism" unfortunately is to what one becomes vulnerable when their product becomes delayed after being displayed. One of Stern's strengths is rapid development and production times, which allows it to respond to other designs before production. That limits their innovation however. LCD alone involves many resources integrating video assets into insert illuminations and gameplay. Stern is not burdened by this.

So they engage in giving greater quantity of traditional tech rather than greater quality in newer tech, basically. With much faster production. Pick your poison...

#8326 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Interesting to see the influence (hesitate to use the word plagiarism) of TH on the pro with regards to the ramps. Knowing this has been blatantly copied cheapens it slightly,

lol, wut? How in any way is it similar, besides being ramps?

#8327 4 years ago

Got is nice, but no Hobbit killer.
Ik like the Medieval madness castle wall more, no plastic sticker.

#8328 4 years ago

You're right Rick, but my first reaction was "I've already seen this" which naturally negates an urge to be interested in ordering it. I think they missed a trick to come with something fresh and exciting. This smells of lack of ideas.

Once could even say the other models resemble WOZ but that is more than a stretch... if they had come with something more unique and progressive I may have been interested. Until then my money stays with Middle Earth.

#8329 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Don't forget TH's current feature: "Delayed Introduction".

I wonder if the breach of the "Contractual Obligation" has any financial ramifications?

#8330 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Never liked the theme but lets see how the gameplay is before totally writing it off. Remember TH playfield before the redesign, it wasn't nearly as impressive as it is now.

#8331 4 years ago

Well I'll say this, I criticized the Hobbit's art when it came out. And JP really came through with upgrading it. Hats of to JJP for listening, going back, and getting it right. I think it made a huge difference.

I can't see Stern listening to the horrible (and well deserved) feedback on the GoT art and saying "you're right" and taking the time to redo it. There's no point in even breaking down the art problems, it would be a waste of time.

Two medieval themes, with dragons, there's just no way they're not going to be compared here. And Stern isn't coming out as the winner when it comes to presentation so far.

#8332 4 years ago

I have to tell you - after Stern was rumored, and now confirmed, to have GoT I was a bit worried about keeping my Hobbit order. Well, I am not worried anymore! GoT looks awful as hell, I sure hope it plays well (for those that want it). And I am a GOT fan!

#8333 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have to tell you - after Stern was rumored, and now confirmed, to have GoT I was a bit worried about keeping my Hobbit order. Well, I am not worried anymore! GoT looks awful as hell, I sure hope it plays well (for those that want it). And I am a GOT fan!

I'm with u 100%. Stern lovers on another thread said TH was dead now. I'm LMAO right now.

#8334 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I'll say this, I criticized the Hobbit's art when it came out. And JP really came through with upgrading it. Hats of to JJP for listening, going back, and getting it right. I think it made a huge difference.
I can't see Stern listening to the horrible (and well deserved) feedback on the GoT art and saying "you're right" and taking the time to redo it. There's no point in even breaking down the art problems, it would be a waste of time.
Two medieval themes, with dragons, there's just no way they're not going to be compared here. And Stern isn't coming out as the winner when it comes to presentation so far.

Maybe they will listen and spend a little more time on the Premium art. But it's going to take a while to sell off 700 LEs!

I think the layout looks pretty cool - looking forward to playing it.

#8335 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I have little doubt that GOT owners will also experience the "Delayed Introduction" feature as they wait for code.

#8336 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

#8337 4 years ago

THSE is going to be great. I will likely put it beside my GOTLE. Dragon to Dragon.

#8338 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm with u 100%. Stern lovers on another thread said TH was dead now. I'm LMAO right now.

TH still might be dead. Where is it? Where are the updates?

#8339 4 years ago

I hope TH is dependable. I got a call from the rental office that "the pinball machine is out , again" Another 2 1/4 hours there and 2 1/4 back and that's if I don't need parts. I bought a new pin (WOZ) so I wouldn't have to be doing this but my BSD is much more dependable and it's 23 years old. I've been a big JJP supporter but this is getting old.

#8340 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Sharks ?
You mean open discussion on a public forum ???

It all comes back to credibility and people listening to what JJP is saying and watch what they are doing or not doing.
When the two do not match a persons credibility drops and people loose interest or belief in what they are saying.

Its pointless to make claims about future games ( any ) when people waited years for game #1 and waiting years for #2.
I would actually like to see them make the frigging game because the theme is more appealing to me than WOZ but the endless delay and silence is hurting them. Forget Stern, JJP is JJP's biggest problem right now.

Its all idle chit chat in the meantime.

#8341 4 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Sharks ?
You mean open discussion on a public forum ???
It all comes back to credibility and people listening to what JJP is saying and watch what they are doing or not doing.
When the two do not match a persons credibility drops and people loose interest or belief in what they are saying.
Its pointless to make claims about future games ( any ) when people waited years for game #1 and waiting years for #2.
I would actually like to see them make the frigging game because the theme is more appealing to me than WOZ but the endless delay and silence is hurting them. Forget Stern, JJP is JJP's biggest problem right now.
Its all idle chit chat in the meantime.

Yes, I meant sharks. Agree with everything else. JJP needs to s*** or get off the pot at this point. It's either going to happen now or never.

#8342 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I got a call from the rental office that "the pinball machine is out , again" Another 2 1/4 hours there and 2 1/4 back and that's if I don't need parts.

Putting a game on location that far away was... an interesting decision.

#8343 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I've been a big JJP supporter but this is getting old.

That's the reason WoZ left my location, and I only live 5 minutes away. But going there 3 to 4 times a week ... buh-bye.

#8344 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

....Would be sweet if they showed up with a truckload of Hobbits for some of the pre-order guys that are at Expo, now that would be fucking awesome!

It would be even more awesome if Stern showed up at expo with Daenerys Targaryen and had a dragon from the show blow her clothes off with fire (it's ok, she's fireproof, but her clothes are not). If we are going to dream, really dream awesome!

#8345 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It would be even more awesome if Stern showed up at expo with Daenerys Targaryen and had a dragon from the show blow her clothes off with fire (it's ok, she's fireproof, but her clothes are not). If we are going to dream, really dream awesome!

Stern would just cut corners and ruin it hiring a cruddy body over.

#8346 4 years ago

feel of the WOZ - it's like no other. I'm sure

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Putting a game on location that far away was... an interesting decision.

The game is at my beach house which is rented out 4 months of the year. I get the house back next week and WOZ is all mine again (yippee). I wanted the pin to be a draw for renters and I just plain wanted to introduce others to pins as they have always been a part of my life.
Playing WOZ exclusively for months then trying an older generation game nearby (Flippers, Grandy,NC.) you really get an appreciation of the brick shithouse feel of WOZ and TH should be the same. I'm glad we have this option - Jack really came through on the quality feel of his games.
I have a later game, no light board issues. I've had loosening screws and missing screws which wasn't too bad. A flipper coil wire got in the way of the plunger and shorted out the game which was a major problem and could have been avoided using an extra pull tie. Two lit winkies have been broken (not a JJP item). A bad USB. Chipping paint around the Winkie but I can handle that. A bad monitor driver board. And now a ball won't enter the trough according to the person on the phone.
All this has been made better by the excellent service staff which I rate 100%. They have been so nice to walk me through the repair phase.
I plan to keep the WOZ - it really is a special machine. But I might need a back up MB or MMR..Hey maybe that's not too bad after all.

#8347 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

The game is at my beach house which is rented out 4 months of the year. I get the house back next week and WOZ is all mine again (yippee). I wanted the pin to be a draw for renters and I just plain wanted to introduce others to pins as they have always been a part of my life.
Playing WOZ exclusively for months then trying an older generation game nearby (Flippers, Grandy,NC.) you really get an appreciation of the brick shithouse feel of WOZ and TH should be the same. I'm glad we have this option - Jack really came through on the quality feel of his games.
I have a later game, no light board issues. I've had loosening screws and missing screws which wasn't too bad. A flipper coil wire got in the way of the plunger and shorted out the game which was a major problem and could have been avoided using an extra pull tie. Two lit winkies have been broken (not a JJP item). A bad USB. Chipping paint around the Winkie but I can handle that. A bad monitor driver board. And now a ball won't enter the trough according to the person on the phone.
All this has been made better by the excellent service staff which I rate 100%. They have been so nice to walk me through the repair phase.
I plan to keep the WOZ - it really is a special machine. But I might need a back up MB or MMR..Hey maybe that's not too bad after all.

I think you may have accidentally added the word brick to your post; it is odd you praise a game for being so solid and awesomely built... then go on to list a slew of problems you have had. I can understand praising the support that have helped you solve the issues, but the build quality?

#8348 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

The game is at my beach house which is rented out 4 months of the year. I get the house back next week and WOZ is all mine again (yippee).

Is it safe to assume that the house you rent is in Corolla? If so, care to share the name of the house? I go down twice a year, and would love to stay at a house with a pin. Unfortunately twiddy doesn't have a filter for pinball machines. Headed down next week actually, and as always flippers is the highlight of the trip for me.

#8349 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd consider myself an employee.
Jack hired me first. The rest came later.

"In the beginning, there was Lloyd, and the people were happy"

#8350 4 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

Is it safe to assume that the house you rent is in Corolla? If so, care to share the name of the house? I go down twice a year, and would love to stay at a house with a pin. Unfortunately twiddy doesn't have a filter for pinball machines. Headed down next week actually, and as always flippers is the highlight of the trip for me.

I was thinking the same!

We book a week each Summer at the OBX.

We usually stay in Nags Head, but may adventure farther north next season...

I'd crack up if they listed "pinball machine" in the list of beaches features!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside