Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 201.
#8251 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Remind me again what LE stands for?

Limited doesnt mean rare...hell, there are 10s of thousands of limited toyotas every year. Just means it's capped at a number. Can be 100000 and still be an LE.

#8252 4 years ago

dub

#8253 4 years ago

I don't think Jacks sales numbers are ridiculous at all. His facebook page is nearing 30,000 and if he sells a game to 10% of them. It would come out to 3,000. Totally doable.

#8254 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the pre-order pinball model start with JJP?

It started with IPB in 2004

#8256 4 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

huh? Ever heard of the stock market? Ever heard of a company going public? Ever heard of a private company getting partners so he can grow and not take 100% of the risk on him or herself?
unreal...

2 investment groups in a 20 month period....

Don't forget, the pre-order model was suppose to fund all of this.

I want Jack to succeed, because 2 healthy pinball companies benefits all of us. Don't get mad at me for stating facts. Economics and finance aren't based in feeling, they are based on cold hard truths.

#8257 4 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

They didn't put a limit on SEs (like they did WOZRR). The only limit on SEs was that they had to be purchased on or before 12/31/2014.

I'm sure if you were to call JJP on Tuesday and request an SE, they would gladly add it to the run.

It made sense to make the cutoff 12/31/14, if it were about to go into production. 10 months later? They'd be crazy not to accept the order.

#8258 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm sure if you were to call JJP on Tuesday and request an SE, they would gladly add it to the run.
It made sense to make the cutoff 12/31/14, if it were about to go into production. 10 months later? They'd be crazy not to accept the order.

Jack can't control his suppliers so his word is useless in these instances. But when it comes to something he has total control over like the cutoff date, I expect and demand it to be upheld!

#8259 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Jack can't control his suppliers so his word is useless in these instances. But when it comes to something he has total control over like the cutoff date, I expect and demand it to be upheld!

I can address this a bit. Distributors had deadline like everyone else. PinballSTAR purchased and paid for Smaugs before 12/31/14 so we had that model to sell. We bought a nice supply, with some still left. But we had to do exactly what customers had to - decide, order, and pay. Everything is legit, not everything is a conspiracy. If a distributor like us has them available to sell its because we put our money up to do so. No different than why we keep buying all models of WOZs to have in stock. I did it so my customers and potential customers have options. A smaller distributor who didn't pony up on Smaugs before 12/31 won't. PinballSTAR still has some Smaug Gold SE's to sell. Contact us for best pricing on all models of Hobbit - Standard, LE, or Smaug.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Sales@PinballSTAR.com
570-357-0042

#8260 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Limited doesnt mean rare...hell, there are 10s of thousands of limited toyotas every year. Just means it's capped at a number. Can be 100000 and still be an LE.

Unfortunately that's not true anymore. Limited Edition, in many cases, isn't even capped by a number. It is simply defined by the manufacturer that once they are done manufacturing it, they won't make any more.

You see this a lot in limited edition video games, etc, where there is no actual "number" as manufacturers try to take advantage of the "Limited Edition" wordplay.

#8261 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Contact us for best pricing on all models of Hobbit - Standard, LE, or Smaug.

So new JJP games can be bought below MSRP?

#8262 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Everything is legit, not everything is a conspiracy.
570-357-0042

EVERYTHING is legit

Well, I'm glad that's settled. Act fast or you might miss out on a Smaug SE / LE / whatever... SEND MONEY NOW TO GUARANTEE A SPOT. THESE WON'T LAST FOREVER AT THESE PRICES.

BUY BUY BUY.

#8263 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

SEND MONEY NOW TO GUARANTEE A SPOT. THESE WON'T LAST FOREVER AT THESE PRICES.

What are the prices?

Who typically has the best pricing on JJP? I think I already know who doesn't.

#8264 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What are the prices?

Oh dear. I was being sarcastic

But if you want to send $50,000 (USD) my way, i can almost guarantee you a game at some time between now and when the universe ends (with a bunch of caveats and legal disclaimers to cover my butt).

#8265 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

So new JJP games can be bought below MSRP?

NO.They were purchased at MSRP at that time. So, customers who want to buy later after seeing and playing it can benefit from a distributor who took the risk of ponying cash up front and then passes it on to you!

Quoted from Mike_J:

What are the prices?

PinballStar and all other distributors have a strict number to work with. Joe has GREAT prices for those that chose to wait. His risk and forsight is your reward!

#8266 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

NO.They were purchased at MSRP at that time. So, customers who want to buy later after seeing and playing it can benefit from a distributor who took the risk of ponying cash up front and then passes it on to you!

PinballStar and all other distributors have a strict number to work with. Joe has GREAT prices for those that chose to wait. His risk and forsight is your reward!

I'm looking forward to seeing how you all get service and repair parts after jjp goes down. At that point, I'm expecting the prices to plummet on your oversized doorstops. Until then, I congratulate those of you who have the foresight and fortitude to stick out the delays and outright lies to get these highly coveted pieces.

#8267 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'm looking forward to seeing how you all get service and repair parts after jjp goes down. At that point, I'm expecting the prices to plummet on your oversized doorstops. Until then, I congratulate those of you who have the foresight and fortitude to stick out the delays and outright lies to get these highly coveted pieces.

Sorry that your life sucks enough to have had to post this to make yourself feel better

#8268 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

While I don't expect JJP to go under, It would be nice to know why these pins are not shipping. With Kevin and Jpop they always had some excuse for the delay until the other shoe dropped.

#8269 4 years ago

I have machines from Gottlieb, Bally, Williams and Zacharia (and Data East before that), all companies that have ceased building pins, and I usually have little or no trouble getting parts, even for pins from fifty years ago or more. Though I doubt seriously that JJP is in any danger of going under (they're still making and selling pins right now, despite the wait for Hobbit), I'm not terribly concerned about my ability to get parts down the road. Where there's a market, there's usually someone willing to fill it. The growth of the pinball parts scene in the past five years or so has been a tremendous boon for those of us who repair and maintain our own pins. I am only slightly more concerned about MMR, given its uniqueness, but even there I don't expect serious problems. Maybe for the person owns it fifty years from now, but let's hope there is still a market for these things that far down the road. We are really fortunate that so many people have seen this as a business opportunity and have latched onto it.

#8270 4 years ago

Try to find parts from Jack's last failed venture - Parker Bohn shuffle alley.

#8271 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Try to find parts from Jack's last failed venture - Parker Bohn.

Poor Sad Sack...

tumblr_nmoerstJVG1qex5j1o4_400.gif

#8272 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Duly noted.

#8273 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Oh dear. I was being sarcastic
But if you want to send $50,000 (USD) my way, i can almost guarantee you a game at some time between now and when the universe ends (with a bunch of caveats and legal disclaimers to cover my butt).

Can I get by without having to sign an NDA?

#8274 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Try to find parts from Jack's last failed venture - Parker Bohn shuffle alley.

Still supported by Jack G. Service Company, DBA Pinballsales.com.

#8275 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Can I get by without having to sign an NDA?

No. You have to sign a NDA to see the NDA you get to sign to get the deposit on the possible game that I may or may not hold for you if/when it gets produced (or not).

#8276 4 years ago

I hope JJP really pushes TH into production soon. If not a lot of people who ordered the hobbit may bail if GOT is available first. I would never bail on a JJP game for a Stern game but there are some that might. Hell, i may bail on TH if Pat's game is shown this year and I like what i see. Come on JJP, GIVE US SOME NEWS WE CAN USE!!! We don't want to hear "waiting for parts anymore"

#8277 4 years ago

How can you tell this is a JJP thread? Some serious douchebaggery has once again crept into the conversation.

#8278 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

How can you tell this is a JJP thread? Some serious douchebaggery has once again crept into the conversation.

Thanks for the prime example. BeezleBoob for Mod!

#8279 4 years ago

Being someone that tried watching GOT and didn't care for it, I won't be changing my mind. TH all the way for me.

#8280 4 years ago

When was the last legitimate Hobbit update?

#8281 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Being someone that tried watching GOT and didn't care for it, I won't be changing my mind. TH all the way for me.

I liked the walking dead but never could get into game of thrones. I agree, not the right theme for me.

#8282 4 years ago

Joe, any idea what's the final count on SEs to be produced?

#8283 4 years ago

Jack was very closed mouth right before WOZ was shipped - which I was highly critical of. I think it's just the way he does things. There are announcements of whitewood, first flip, and so on then nothing. Just when you're about to give up Jen give you the call. It stinks but TH should be an epic machine and should be worth the wait.

#8284 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

TH should be an epic machine and should be worth the wait.

How many years have we read this?

#8285 4 years ago

What Stern do well, is catch people in the 'got to have that now' feeling. Show everything and announce pricing, LE's, same day. People jump in despite incomplete code, not playing it etc. They are in the 'buzz' phase.

Whereas the Hobbit is in the 'buyer's fatigue' stage as nothing has really happened this year except delays.

Maybe Pat's game will be more shock and awe, order now as shipping in next 3 months.

We shall see.

#8286 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I hope JJP really pushes TH into production soon. If not a lot of people who ordered the hobbit may bail if GOT is available first. I would never bail on a JJP game for a Stern game but there are some that might. Hell, i may bail on TH if Pat's game is shown this year and I like what i see. Come on JJP, GIVE US SOME NEWS WE CAN USE!!! We don't want to hear "waiting for parts anymore"

The only info JJP gave about Pat's game was that it wasn't going to be a widebody, no license needed, and no promises that it would be shown at expo. Knowing this, I doubt that it will be shown before the Hobbit starts shipping.

#8287 4 years ago

Has anyone been keeping track of the modes we have seen to date? I haven't seen the troll fireside battle in action, but the videos showing it proceed as you get hits was impressive. I am not sure what you have to hit though and assume that it is still in the software.

Not so impressive was a mode I saw on a video that requested you alternate sides on hitting targets. Also bash the orc repeatedly on the orc interogation seemed pretty simplistic. I know pins need a blend of mode dificulty level, but I haven't seen any modes on any posted videos yet that grabbed my attention.

What have you all seen? It would be nice to have a feel for the level that these modes are embedded into the story. I think that is what gets me on the early release of videos. It is "get three locks and fight Smaug" over and over again. It makes the pin look less interesting than it probably is.

#8288 4 years ago
Quoted from hillbilly:

The only info JJP gave about Pat's game was that it wasn't going to be a widebody, no license needed, and no promises that it would be shown at expo. Knowing this, I doubt that it will be shown before the Hobbit starts shipping.

he has said more. He has boasted about how complete it is, and made inferences that it would launch very quickly.. and not suffer the same kind of long delays between reveal and shipment the other games have. But this is all about the staging Jack has done... hes not saying specifics because he doesn't want to get burned again.. but he can't help but promote just how great 'the next thing is..'

At replay he made it sound that that Pat's reveal *could* happen at expo... but inferred if Hobbit were late it might not be the right time to do so. Since Hobbit is sliding more and more past Sept and Oct... I'd wager they won't launch Pat's game at Expo.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pat is trying to deliver a turn-key game to JJP.. instead of delivering a DESIGN that then must be filled out, engineered, programmed, etc. The way Jack talks... I think its going to be more of that kind of relationship and that would support why he is so confident when he talks about the game's current state and how quickly it will happen after hobbit.

#8289 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

he has said more. He has boasted about how complete it is, and made inferences that it would launch very quickly.. and not suffer the same kind of long delays between reveal and shipment the other games have. But this is all about the staging Jack has done... hes not saying specifics because he doesn't want to get burned again.. but he can't help but promote just how great 'the next thing is..'
At replay he made it sound that that Pat's reveal *could* happen at expo... but inferred if Hobbit were late it might not be the right time to do so. Since Hobbit is sliding more and more past Sept and Oct... I'd wager they won't launch Pat's game at Expo.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pat is trying to deliver a turn-key game to JJP.. instead of delivering a DESIGN that then must be filled out, engineered, programmed, etc. The way Jack talks... I think its going to be more of that kind of relationship and that would support why he is so confident when he talks about the game's current state and how quickly it will happen after hobbit.

No doubt that their excited about Pat's game but not likely going to be introduced at expo. JJP already has another license game for #4 and is already talking about #5. He did state that he would like to get to the point of producing two games per year. First things first, he needs to get the parts for TH and start production.

#8290 4 years ago

Big setback for JJP if Pat's game is NOT revealed at Expo.

The theme and style differences between TH and PLJJP are going to be enough that few are going to drop TH to go in on Pat's game instead, so there's really no reason to hold off the reveal. If JJP can show a game that's pretty much ready to go right after Hobbit, that's going to quiet the naysayers.

The reveal was supposed to be late summer, then Expo. Pushing it out further doesn't do anything but give people a reason to push the "sky is falling at JJP" agenda.

#8291 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The theme and style differences between TH and PLJJP are going to be enough that few are going to drop TH to go in on Pat's game instead, so there's really no reason to hold off the reveal. If JJP can show a game that's pretty much ready to go right after Hobbit, that's going to quiet the naysayers.
The reveal was supposed to be late summer, then Expo. Pushing it out further doesn't do anything but give people a reason to push the "sky is falling at JJP" agenda.

^One of the dumbests posts I've seen. Of course it would hurt Hobbit! Why release anything about JJP3 until Hobbit is well under way and shipping in substantial numbers? Nothing will be revealed at expo, just like Stern won't say what's after GoT.

#8292 4 years ago

Surprised JJP hasn't trickled out a few tidbits in regard to code, callouts, and ruleset as of late. If coding is as far along as they say what could it hurt?

#8293 4 years ago

Not trying to troll just a question but when WOZ released as the code complete? I thought it shipped missing modes and with early people talking about incomplete/broken code or am I remembering wrong?

#8294 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Disagree, I think a lot of people would have jumped from the hobbit to a pat lawlor game.

#8295 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Surprised JJP hasn't trickled out a few tidbits in regard to code, callouts, and ruleset as of late. If coding is as far along as they say what could it hurt?

Same here. JJP needs to put out a big Hobbit news email in response to Stern's GOT news and to keep preorder customers interested in The Hobbit. I'm talking an updated flyer that actually shows the entire playfield and list features (like the WOZ one), a well shot video featuring gameplay and some of the custom call outs that have been recorded, pictures of more parts coming in, and screenshots of the rule screens.

I'm a supporter of JJP but their marketing / updates is not on the same level as it was with WOZ. JJP needs to keep people excited about The Hobbit!

#8296 4 years ago

Why wouldn't Jack shoot a nice overhead video of the TH with an explanation of rules so far and a detailed explanation of shots etc. I remember being ready to get out of the Predator then that asshole did a vid that explained the game and it really sealed the deal for me, granted thats a terrible example but my point is made, I got out of TH but man I would still love to see a properly made turtorial of gameplay, could keep some people in who are ready to jump ship and maybe even bring a few new buyers aboard. Just a thought.

#8297 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Agree

JJP spokesperson "Hello Expo 2015 crowd, sorry to announce we have no info on the next game release, we are still trying to figure out how to make Hobbit, so bear with us."

#8298 4 years ago

I dunno.
"Here's where we are with Hobbit, isn't this progress really cool."
Might be better than
"Here's what we have been working on instead of the game you paid for two years ago."

#8299 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

^One of the dumbests posts I've seen. Of course it would hurt Hobbit! Why release anything about JJP3 until Hobbit is well under way and shipping in substantial numbers? Nothing will be revealed at expo, just like Stern won't say what's after GoT.

It appears you have seen far fewer posts than I have ...

Comparing Stern to JJP in this case is what's dumb. No one is questioning Stern's survival. There is absolutely no concern that Stern won't have games after GoT. Stern's model works and works well.

If revealing details on Pat's game hurts Hobbit sales, all that says that Hobbit buyers are super fickle. One of the key pillars of my argument is that I really don't think there is much overlap between the potential buyers of TH and those of PLJJP. If the majority of the market is thinking TH OR PLJJP, then it doesn't make sense.

But I think it's far more important for JJP to demonstrate that the WOZ and Hobbit delays are behind them and will be the exception, not the rule.

#8300 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

^ Nothing will be revealed at expo, just like Stern won't say what's after GoT.

Stern actually releases / produces games so you can see and purchase the sum of their efforts.
They do not need to say whats next becasue its in the pipeline and happens on a regular basis.

JJP, not so much.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 21.00
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside