Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 201.
#8151 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Do you really think Jackson f'ked this thing up? .

yes.

Quoted from Asael:

Would one movie made more money than the three? I don't think so. And it's still a business.

Im making a distinction between creating a great movie and what will squeeze the most dollars from the box office....

Or are suggesting box office volume = quality?

#8152 4 years ago

So given the state of JJP factory with seemingly little Hobbit activity, guessing lawlor's game is easily 2017, prob 2018. Unless they get multiple lines up, buy you'd think they would do that for Hobbit but people didnt see any signs of that it seems.

#8153 4 years ago

Avatar is more of a Ferngully: The Last Rainforest ripoff, just not enough people have seen or remember that movie to notice.

LOTR films could barely fit the books into 3 hour movies, so the movies moved quickly and had efficient storytelling.

The Hobbit films took material that would have barely made a 3 hour movie and bloated it into nearly 9 hours, thus the movies feel long.

I have nothing against long movies. Only movies that are long for no reason.

#8154 4 years ago

I just don't think that cutting it in some kind of short version would make it a masterpiece. Perhaps it would be better movie blockbuster, but it would still be just a summer blockbuster that has to make money. And yes I think 3 Movies are even making more money.
To make it epic, Jackson did imo the right thing, with adding more stuff that connects the Hobbit more with the LotR trilogy. Stuff that can not be found in the small book. Not only could he so make more money. Only so he could give it more depth. He connected Smaug with Sauron, so he could make the quest more important. Otherwise it would just be a quest to get some gold back and revenge.
The important part of the plot is that the factions came over greed and the hate against each other. Every faction had to fight their own demons after that they could work together just like the united nations. That would be lost without the Sauron threat. And that's why the battle of the 5 armies is more important for the plot than killing the dragon.

But the hobbit movies are lagging quality in some parts. Just like part 3 of the LotR trilogy had problems. There are many unfinished edges and silly action scenes without sense. The extended cut does a good job to repair the few flaws in LotR 3. And for me after this version it was a masterpiece. Now I see many flaws in part 3 of the hobbit and I am hoping the extended version could repair it just like LotR3 ext. did, so it will be a good movie. And perhaps then we all can see why it was so important to add all those extra stuff to bring it more in line with the epic LotR trilogy.

#8155 4 years ago

On facebook I read, and I hope it's allowed to post here, direct from
Jersey Jack finally some good real news!!!!!!!!!!:
"Ah yes, For new orders placed now, early 2016 estimated delivery. We will be building as quickly as possible to fulfill all old and news orders! Lots of Hobbits will be coming off the line this year though"

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyJackPinball?fref=nf

#8156 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

"Ah yes, For new orders placed now, early 2016 estimated delivery. We will be building as quickly as possible to fulfill all old and news orders! Lots of Hobbits will be coming off the line this year though"

No way I believe the order now and get it early next year!

#8157 4 years ago

Sounds like new orders are going to the front of the line.

#8158 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

Sounds like new orders are going to the front of the line.

Isn't that the exact opposite of what Jen said? My understanding is that had to fill current orders first, and new orders would be early next year. Which I think is very optimistic ... but we'll see.

EDIT: Ah, now that I read it I think you are saying JJP won't ship until early next year - so new orders would be first LOL...Sometimes I let the good jokes slip past me.

#8159 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Avatar is more of a Ferngully: The Last Rainforest ripoff, just not enough people have seen or remember that movie to notice.

I never even heard of it.

But Dances/Avatar both seem to be the exact same movie except for the naked blue chicks.

#8160 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But Dances/Avatar both seem to be the exact same movie except for the naked blue chicks.

The naked blue chicks have won.

#8161 4 years ago

Can the OP change the title of the thread to "No Hobbit Updates for a long long time".

If Stern released GOT with LCD, show clips and Richie design, I think I would bail. This is BS.

I will never pre-order again.

#8162 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are both right, Avatar is a straight mash-up of Fern Gully and Dances with Wolves

#8163 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

If everyone has learned two things from JJP it's:

1) Don't trust Jack's delivery date promises.
2) New money gets machines over pre-orders.

If it's truly that close you're better off not pre-ordering and just waiting for real machines. If it's not that close you're better off waiting anyway. The only smart move is to wait until you can immediately take delivery.

#8164 4 years ago

Double past past.

#8165 4 years ago

I used to be an Avatar hater until I got a big 3d TV. I never saw it on the theater, but now, in 3D I really appreciate it. It is the number one 3d movie for a reason. I haven't had a chance to play the pin yet though.

#8166 4 years ago

I was at the Jersey Jack facility this past weekend during the open house and had a look over everything first hand while having lots of questions answered. I was already certain Jack was the real deal, I've been following his work for quite awhile and even more so since the Hobbit prototype first started making rounds. However, after this past weekend, I am even more confident that production on the Hobbit is right around the corner and I would be willing to wager that a delivery will happen before the end of the year. Lawlor's game will be announced prior to March 2016 with Hobbit well underway.

Anyone still doubting still should at least take into consideration the fact that there is only one production line right now at the factory. Wizard of Oz backorders have finally been produced, and there are finally a few extras on hand that can be purchased right now and delivered to your door instantly. Now that there's a few WOZ in stock, what's next? Get a bit of a cushion there so they have plenty to fill the estimated WOZ demand for the next year or so and then they can think about retooling all of the workstations... It's not just switching parts out. Wire diagrams. Installation charts, color coding, part numbers, parts in stock, the flow charts, install diagrams, getting everyone up to speed, doing a test one or two, hammering out the bugs in the production line and finally getting a few out the door.

Also remember that they just got that significant investment in capital. Although the current facility is making use of what appears to be about 80% of their space, I do think they could easily fit a second line in there without changing locations. I still think the Hobbit will be built on the WOZ line though, because changing that over may be quicker than building a new line.. Then again, the overall time saved in just building a brand new line specifically for the Hobbit instead of switching from WOZ to Hobbit and back to WOZ or over to Lawlor's might be worth the investment and time it takes to just build that line first.

TDLR: All food for thought. The Hobbit is coming. Jack isn't going anywhere. I'd be willing to wager but I won't because I'm sure I'm right.

#8167 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I was at the Jersey Jack facility this past weekend during the open house and had a look over everything first hand while having lots of questions answered. I was already certain Jack was the real deal, I've been following his work for quite awhile and even more so since the Hobbit prototype first started making rounds. However, after this past weekend, I am even more confident that production on the Hobbit is right around the corner and I would be willing to wager that a delivery will happen before the end of the year. Lawlor's game will be announced prior to March 2016 with Hobbit well underway.
Anyone still doubting still should at least take into consideration the fact that there is only one production line right now at the factory. Wizard of Oz backorders have finally been produced, and there are finally a few extras on hand that can be purchased right now and delivered to your door instantly. Now that there's a few WOZ in stock, what's next? Get a bit of a cushion there so they have plenty to fill the estimated WOZ demand for the next year or so and then they can think about retooling all of the workstations... It's not just switching parts out. Wire diagrams. Installation charts, color coding, part numbers, parts in stock, the flow charts, install diagrams, getting everyone up to speed, doing a test one or two, hammering out the bugs in the production line and finally getting a few out the door.
Also remember that they just got that significant investment in capital. Although the current facility is making use of what appears to be about 80% of their space, I do think they could easily fit a second line in there without changing locations. I still think the Hobbit will be built on the WOZ line though, because changing that over may be quicker than building a new line.. Then again, the overall time saved in just building a brand new line specifically for the Hobbit instead of switching from WOZ to Hobbit and back to WOZ or over to Lawlor's might be worth the investment and time it takes to just build that line first.
TDLR: All food for thought. The Hobbit is coming. Jack isn't going anywhere. I'd be willing to wager but I won't because I'm sure I'm right.

Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown.jpg

#8168 4 years ago

I do believe Hobbit is coming don't get me wrong it is the speed with which it will be coming I am questioning. Things are always "a few months away" but history shows otherwise. I suspect some will be tricking out late in the year but it is going to take them a while to get the production line up to speed, deal with inevitable issues, and work though the backlog. I have a WOZ and may well buy another JJP machine but I will only by something that is actually available now not 'a few months away'

#8169 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Actually its a Pocahontas ripoff. Pretty bad too. John Smith=John Sully. Pocahontas=Neytini who happens to be a chiefs daughter. Instead of looking for gold they are looking for Unobtanium.

#8170 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

However, after this past weekend, I am even more confident that production on the Hobbit is right around the corner and I would be willing to wager that a delivery will happen before the end of the year.

Based on what? Words that mean nothing anymore. And a delivery=one game? Jippie that will help those who are waiting more than 2 years.

If, and only if it is true that 1500 TH are ordered (I find that hard to believe) it will take well into 2016 and probably 2017 to deliver all games. Let's face it, problems will surface during production and maybe on delivered games. You have to take into account that solving those problems takes extra time.

#8171 4 years ago

I went to the factory and I feel very confident these games will roll off the assembly line before "The Hobbit" gets remade in the next 20 years or whatever…

#8172 4 years ago
Quoted from Tharizdun:

I went to the factory and I feel very confident these games will roll off the assembly line before "The Hobbit" gets remade in the next 20 years or whatever…

Aren't we getting a Hobbit reboot right after Spiderman next year?

#8173 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

And if it was a 100% cgi cartoon, you may have even liked it better. But for many of us, special effects are icing on dessert and not really that important in a well written and acted movie.

I don't care much for CGI cartoons. I like the sci-fi films such as Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Time Machine, Harryhausen, etc. My favorite film is It's A Wonderful Life...with Citizen Kane close behind. Not a big fan of Harry Potter and that magic stuff where the rules are all over the place. A wizard can create a "force bubble" and explode rocks, but has trouble fighting a regular man. Hell, just make his heart stop!

#8174 4 years ago

While print costs were crazy and digital has helped with that, the big thing that hasn't changed in regards to long movies is actual presentation. If you can show 2-3 more screenings per day for a movie by having a shorter running time, from a distributor point of view, this is a lot more lucrative as the audience doesn't pay any more for a long movie than it does a short one.
So ultimately, while Peter is extremely powerful, ultimately the studio needs to agree to length is it could directly impact their return on investment.

Quoted from benheck:

And not just the print cost. Going much past 2 hours meant a third can had to be shipped to hold more than the standard 6 reels (2 hours)

#8175 4 years ago

Just listened to a talk by Joe Balcer from the recent UK pinball party. Not great audio quality, but he does talk a little bit about the Hobbit towards the end and in the questions. It explains quite a bit about the original design: why he included the upper 2 flippers, what Smaug was originally going to be like, etc.

The talk is available on the Pinball News website:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/ukpinballparty2015/index.html

#8176 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't care much for CGI cartoons. I like the sci-fi films such as Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Time Machine, Harryhausen, etc. My favorite film is It's A Wonderful Life...with Citizen Kane close behind. Not a big fan of Harry Potter and that magic stuff where the rules are all over the place. A wizard can create a "force bubble" and explode rocks, but has trouble fighting a regular man. Hell, just make his heart stop!

I used to think the exact same thing about Harry Potter, and I mean the exact same thing.

I had HEATED debates with my wife about how stupid it was. "You can just make up whatever you want, on the fly! Why does anyone think it's so great?"

But, she forced me to sit through all of them, and this was about 2 weeks before the last movie came out. We watched 1 a day. By the fourth movie, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to see the last one, and I didn't want it to end.

Those movies and that universe are so detailed and so in depth. You have to grind through the first three though. After that they get so good.

#8177 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Just listened to a talk by Joe Balcer from the recent UK pinball party. Not great audio quality, but he does talk a little bit about the Hobbit towards the end and in the questions. It explains quite a bit about the original design: why he included the upper 2 flippers, what Smaug was originally going to be like, etc.

Thanks for sharing! That was an interesting clip to listen to. It was difficult to hear in parts and I was just skipping through quickly so I didn't catch the original Smaug design part. I'll have to listen to it again when I have more time.

Joe is a great pinball designer. I'm still surprised that he left JJP before The Hobbit was even finished / finalized. He did an incredible job with WOZ.

Did anything ever come out about why he left JJP? The only rumor I heard is that JJP couldn't justify two pinball designers (with Pat coming onboard) at the time but I'm not sure how much, if any, of that is true.

#8178 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Please post why there was 2 upper flippers and what Smaug was originally supposed to be...don't have the time to listen.

#8179 4 years ago

I just want the hobbit in my house by 12/25/15.

#8180 4 years ago
Quoted from baldric:

While print costs were crazy and digital has helped with that, the big thing that hasn't changed in regards to long movies is actual presentation. If you can show 2-3 more screenings per day for a movie by having a shorter running time, from a distributor point of view, this is a lot more lucrative as the audience doesn't pay any more for a long movie than it does a short one.
So ultimately, while Peter is extremely powerful, ultimately the studio needs to agree to length is it could directly impact their return on investment.

Right, it's like short ball times!

However it only seems like they play the "short movie more showtimes" card when they've got a sure-fire bomb like Jonah Hex or Uma Thurman Avengers, then it gets chopped down to 90 minutes.

In the old days (when movies only ran noon-9:30) that would only gain you one 1 more showing per day. Now they have morning shows, 11 PM shows, midnight releases and more screens than ever (combined with shorter runs per movie) So that helps offset length a lot.

I think we're also seeing many directors with more clout than restraint (Michael Bay, Peter Jackson, Gore Verbinski) who can turn in a 150-160 minute edit and not have it edited down to something reasonable by the studio.

#8181 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Please post why there was 2 upper flippers and what Smaug was originally supposed to be...don't have the time to listen.

Paraphrasing my interpretation:

Upper flippers were going to be used for increased or special scoring but they couldn't reliably determine if those flippers were used for the shot. Only the right one remains for the Smaug kill shot. Talked about a set of upper flipper buttons. Alternatively sensors near the flippers to determine if they were used - none seemed like good/working ideas.

Smaug was intended to be under the PF. The ball would come around the old 360 loop ramp and be held in place for Smaug to emerge and open his mouth for the ball to roll in, then he would hide again. Talked about Smaugs head being similar in scale to the Godzilla head but with moving parts (jaw). The idea ended up not receiving the support it needed for something that large in scope so it never fully materialized. He indicates that mostly they ran out of time on it both internally and with the licensor.

#8182 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Joe is a great pinball designer. I'm still surprised that he left JJP before The Hobbit was even finished / finalized. He did an incredible job with WOZ.

Everything I heard indicated it wasn't a friendly parting of the ways, so I doubt it was just a casual walking away from the project.

#8183 4 years ago

I was there for Joe's speech. What a lovely bloke he is, a true pinball gent.

I think Smaug was supposed to be a real dominating toy, but it sounded like the concept was just too ambitious. You can see how crowded TH is at the moment so it would be hard to find space for a mech that actually comes through the pf and then eats balls. Great idea, just didn't work out. As far as why he left JJP he would not comment, instead he opted to keep his integrity intact. The trolls and cynicists in this thread could learn a thing or two from him.

#8184 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

The trolls and cynicists in this thread could learn a thing or two from him.

Truer words never before typed.

#8185 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I just want the hobbit in my house by 12/25/15.

As promised

#8186 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Sorry I just got back to this thread. As Purpledrilmonkey mentioned earlier, originally the idea was that the game would award different point values when the upper flippers were used to attack creatures, etc. He said they planned to also have different animations or unlock different features when those flippers were used. The upper flippers were supposed to represent different weapons, swords perhaps. My impression was that these were to contrast with the axes on the slingshots. He was also thinking of cutting off power to the lower flippers at times to force a shot with the upper flippers. He mentioned that he was trying to do something different, looking for a unique way to use upper flippers rather than have them for a specific ramp shot. It was more difficult than he expected to design a system to detect when these flippers were being used, however, and later on, after he left, the left upper flipper was removed. So only the windlance/Smaug shot remains from the upper right flipper.

Purpledrilmonkey explained the deal with Smaug above.

#8187 4 years ago

It almost makes it harder knowing what TH could have been.

#8188 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I was there for Joe's speech. What a lovely bloke he is, a true pinball gent.
I think Smaug was supposed to be a real dominating toy, but it sounded like the concept was just too ambitious. You can see how crowded TH is at the moment so it would be hard to find space for a mech that actually comes through the pf and then eats balls. Great idea, just didn't work out. As far as why he left JJP he would not comment, instead he opted to keep his integrity intact. The trolls and cynicists in this thread could learn a thing or two from him.

Interesting. Hmmm. So did Peter Jackson really say to JJP that Smaug couldn't be hit by a pinball? That has always sounded crazy to me because *SPOILERS Smaug gets smashed in the head with pots filled with gun powder, has hot liquid gold poured all over him and has a giant iron arrow shot through his heart. After all of that no way in he'll could a pinball hit him right? lol

I believe I also heard that Jack said the original Smaug toy that got rejected by Jackson was already done but to be honest the Smaug toy shown at Expo last year looked very unfinished. I guess it's possible that the Smaug toy shown at Expo was a quick mockup due to Jackson's rejection of the more interactive version.

#8189 4 years ago
Quoted from mslow:

It almost makes it harder knowing what TH could have been.

I disagree. In the development stages of anything direction can change for a number of reasons. Looking back it's easy to say that this could have been an a very different machine, etc. the fact is some ideas had to get dropped for a number of reasons whether they be tech related, licence related, etc. I would at least wait and judge the machine on it's merits instead of on concepts or ideas.

#8190 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

He indicates that mostly they ran out of time on it both internally and with the licensor.

So it sounds to me like JJP ran out of development time, not "License holder rejected idea of Smaug eating pinballs". Another stretching of the truth from JJP to deflect blame.

Shame because that could have been really cool toy.

#8191 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting. Hmmm. So did Peter Jackson really say to JJP that Smaug couldn't be hit by a pinball? That has always sounded crazy to me because *SPOILERS Smaug gets smashed in the head with pots filled with gun powder, has hot liquid gold poured all over him and has a giant iron arrorw shot through his heart. After all of that no way in he'll could a pinball hit him right? lol
I believe I also heard that Jack said the original Smaug toy that got rejected by Jackson was already done but to be honest the Smaug toy shown at Expo last year looked very unfinished. I guess it's possible that the Smaug toy shown at Expo was a quick mockup due to Jackson's rejection of the more interactive version.
Has Joe Balcer said anything about Smaug being more interactive in the original design?

He never really commented about anything being cut due to licensing. It sounded like more down to the fact that a huge Smaug could be made to emerge through the pf to take balls of that 360 ramp, just couldn't happen and you can see why.

I had the chance to chat with him in private the next day and asked him what his inspiration was for the drop target arrays. He said he always tried to introduce something unique in his game designs. The ability to be individually dropped/reset is that unique element in TH, i'm really keen to see how this will be implemented.

#8192 4 years ago

Neat stuff. And hearing about possible half-truths is hardly a shock at this stage.

#8193 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So it sounds to me like JJP ran out of development time, not "License holder rejected idea of Smaug eating pinballs". Another stretching of the truth from JJP to deflect blame.
Shame because that could have been really cool toy.

Well look at the picture of the underside of the hobbit pin. Where in the hell would you put a fully articulated smaug? There's no room as it is.

#8194 4 years ago

#8195 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

If it's truly that close you're better off not pre-ordering and just waiting for real machines. If it's not that close you're better off waiting anyway. The only smart move is to wait until you can immediately take delivery.

Whoa whoa whoa.....let's not get carried away here with logic and crap. Do you know where you are posting???? Sheesh .

Sorry for you guys who pre-ordered and are having to wait almost a presidential term's time to get your game. And this game isn't even at production yet.

If you'd like to see the pre-pay/pre-order model the way it is supposed to work, Heighway Pinball seems to be doing it right. Last I checked, they actually are shipping games.

Which was in development first: Hobbit or Full Throttle? If the answer is Hobbit (I genuinely don't know), wow.....

#8196 4 years ago

Full Throttle has been in development for a longer time than The Hobbit but they have only been taking pre-order money for a year.
There are plenty of things to be critical of with H pinball also. Stuff that would get a lot more attention if it were happening in New Jersey instead, but no one is having any agenda against H pinball yet and it is their first game so most of those who have pre-ordered are prepared for a few delays, including me.

Therefor, you do not see so many complaints here on pinside. Let's just say that delivery dates keep slipping and slipping and months into production they have only delivered ca 10 games, so not exactly a flying start. But this will probably change soon, I hope.(it's their first game so they are allowed to have a few hiccups)

The thing that is so great about Heighway though, is the communication. The ceo of the company will answer any question you have right away and give you a detailed explanation for any questions you might have. Other companies will say the following only: It's still on schedule, have faith or we do not talk about when it will be finished (now can you guess which company each statement is from? )

The real test of ability will not be seen before Alien, though. Full Throttle has a pretty small run(so far) compared to that game. So I feel that comparison with other companies like JJP will have to wait until we see how they handle that game.

About the Hobbit, I agree that the waiting sucks, but personally I have heard late fall for more than 6 months now, so I am not that surprised that we hear late October now.

I was hoping for September (and in my house before Christmas) but if it really starts full production by late October I am ok with that now. At least we know that they have enough money to give us these games for certain.(for all I know they might have done it without the cash injection but things would probably have taken even longer)

Getting the game is the most important thing for me.

#8197 4 years ago

I just don't know, yes they got a cash injection, however that can only go so far. I have read a where a few people have backed out of the preorders. That is asked for a refund, not just selling their spots to someone else. You have to wonder how much that hurts a company that appeared to be already circling the toilet before the cash injection. Seems like a lot of people are very excited for GOT to come out. If that game gets an LCD and being that it is more relevant right now than the Hobbit and it's theme is similar to the Hobbit, I see a potential landslide of people asking for refunds or selling their spots to others. I hope I am completely wrong about all of this, or things continue to progress forward. I am assuming (since there was no real proof at the open house) that things are now moving forward with the Hobbit.

#8198 4 years ago

I was at the open house as well. I didn't see one thing either that would make me think the Hobbit is ready to ramp up production.

I did hear "Maybe we'll add a second line." Not to be a downer, but this late in the game, maybe is the wrong word to be using. Either a plan is in place to produce the Hobbit or a plan is not in place to produce the Hobbit.

This reminds me so much of John DeLorean (minus the drugs & extravagant lifestyle).

For full disclosure: I like the Hobbit machine a lot and do plan on buying it, not for another year or 2, waiting for all the kinks to get worked out.

#8199 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I just don't know, yes they got a cash injection, however that can only go so far. I have read a where a few people have backed out of the preorders. That is asked for a refund, not just selling their spots to someone else. You have to wonder how much that hurts a company that appeared to be already circling the toilet before the cash injection. Seems like a lot of people are very excited for GOT to come out. If that game gets an LCD and being that it is more relevant right now than the Hobbit and it's theme is similar to the Hobbit, I see a potential landslide of people asking for refunds or selling their spots to others. I hope I am completely wrong about all of this, or things continue to progress forward. I am assuming (since there was no real proof at the open house) that things are now moving forward with the Hobbit.

I am sorry but this speculation about JJP going under is frankly unwarranted. Has anyone seen their financials? They are private. To the best of my knowledge their financials are not public. So everything here is speculation. Yes they got a cash infusion. Do you think they would have received the cash if they had a losing business model? Pinball production is capital intensive. It might just be that Jack wanted to mitigate family risk to grow. I am not saying they are problem free, but we simply don't know the facts folks.

I still think they make the best pinball machine. Period. That to me is something to build around. It is not vaporware. It might be taking longer than it should, but that does not mean they are going under. There are way too many other variables. Variables that we simply do not have visibility to.

#8200 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was at the open house as well. I didn't see one thing either that would make me think the Hobbit is ready to ramp up production.
I did hear "Maybe we'll add a second line." Not to be a downer, but this late in the game, maybe is the wrong word to be using. Either a plan is in place to produce the Hobbit or a plan is not in place to produce the Hobbit.
This reminds me so much of John DeLorean (minus the drugs & extravagant lifestyle).
For full disclosure: I like the Hobbit machine a lot and do plan on buying it, not for another year or 2, waiting for all the kinks to get worked out.

Adding a second line is demand dependent. I wouldn't commit one way or another until I understood exactly what the demand is for TH AND what remaining demand there is for WoZ. Until the machine is ready from a parts and design perspective, I would keep my options open as well. So "maybe" could also mean "it depends". This depends on the numbers. While they may have the majority of that information, they simply don't have to make the call yet. To me that is smart business. This probably is their "plan". Plans have multiple paths based on facts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Sale Pending!
Springboro, OH
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside