Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 201.
#8101 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Nobody knows with any degree of certainty.

Even if JJP were to post specific shipping information in this thread, nobody would know when the game will ship with any degree of certainty.

#8102 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is there a Hobbit update somewhere buried in this mess!?

Nope. Hence the mess, people are just shooting the shit, there is literally nothing new to discuss.

I think if people liked the movies better there would at least be discussion about cool scenes and dialogue that might make the game. Problem is the movies were sadly mediocre given what they could have been. I tuned in the other day, was on HBO and I just started watching it from the beginning (seen all three in the theater). I literally got bored half way through the barrel scene and changed the channel. Just so long and drawn out.

#8104 4 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

What was somewhat disappointing for me looking through the pics of the open house was that there was no indication of a second production line being assembled (for concurrent WOZ/TH production). JJP can't say "we are just waiting on parts" as an excuse for not building out the second production line.
So either:
A) there will never be two production lines and they are going to build a surplus of 200 or so WOZ machines before changing the line over to TH.
B) a second line will be built at some point for TH...but I am highly doubtful they can spin up an entire production line in time to "start production in Oct"
My only hope is that those stacked cabinets were hiding the second line...but I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to show that off at the open house?
Either way it doesn't give me much hope that production will start in Oct. Bummer.

I agree if there was already a second manufacturing line they would have more then happy to show it off at the open house. Jack would love any reason right now to show off anything that will take some of the heat off of him at this moment. Whether it be a new part came in, or they got closer to production ect. Since it appears all that was talked about and shown at the open house was WOZ, I think it's safe to say the Hobbit will not be any closer to production in October as it is now as long as there is no second manufacturing line, and WOZ's keep getting sold and shipped in front of people that pre ordered.

#8105 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just for clarification, when people are hoping Stern puts an LCD into the game, do you mean an LCD the size of JJP's or an LCD roughly the same size as a DMD?

Any of the above is what people want.

#8106 4 years ago

double post, Pinside is acting strange again.

#8107 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I think it's safe to say the Hobbit will not be any closer to production in October as it is now as long as there is no second manufacturing line, and WOZ's keep getting sold and shipped in front of people that pre ordered.

No one is waiting on WOZ preorders anymore.

#8108 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nope. Hence the mess, people are just shooting the shit, there is literally nothing new to discuss.
I think if people liked the movies better there would at least be discussion about cool scenes and dialogue that might make the game. Problem is the movies were sadly mediocre given what they could have been. I tuned in the other day, was on HBO and I just started watching it from the beginning (seen all three in the theater). I literally got bored half way through the barrel scene and changed the channel. Just so long and drawn out.

You mean you do not believe that a fat dwarf can turn into a barrel wielding half ninja half circular saw?

#8109 4 years ago

I might be minimizing the effort, but creating an assembly line for a pinball machine is not like other lines. So if and when he is ready to go, I don't see it taking him months to get it rolling. Some portion of the machine is the same and the things are just parts at given stations. It is not like there is custom machinery and robotics to put into place. He needs a process, parts, and people.

I still think these things will be cranking before years end. I really don't think he wants to go into expo with only WoZ's on his radar. The only other thing that could really be holding him back is some key component that just isn't right or late.

I do like how the machine is shaping up. Those that are waiting should have a very fun machine for some time to come.....regardless of how the movies were. Somehow there started a correlation between how good the movies were to how good the pinball machines were going to be. Really?

TH will be here soon enough and there will be another batch of pinheads with some cools things to say about it. I still am excited about #3.....but TH has to get rolling!

#8110 4 years ago

The movies have nothing to do with how good this pinball machine will be. The Shadow stunk, but it's an awesome machine. The Hobbit is a great theme regardless of how good or bad the movies are. The scenes are there to make great modes. All by memory of seeing these things once in the theaters:
From the first movie-
1) gather the dwarves and galdalf, sign the contract - "I'm going on an adventure!"
2) Troll scene with Gandalf's sunlight rescue as "winning" the mode.
3) Radagast saves the hedgehog looking animal in the forest
4) Escape the Orcs / Radagast rides rabbits / enter Elf sanctuary to meet Elrond to win.
5) Escape the goblins/kill the goblin king with the dwarves / Gandalf (starts with white splash of LEDs coinciding with Gandalf's entrance)
6) Gollum/Smeagal riddles in the dark
7) Escape the goblin caves as Bilbo
8) Save Thorin from Azog and escape burning trees on Eagles.

From the second movie-
1) Spider attack / Bilbo's rescue / Elves entrance
2) escape the elves / barrel scene
3) Save Kili from poisoned wound (maybe happened in 3rd movie...can't remember)
4) Find hidden entrance to mountain.
5) Gandalf battles Sauron (Cool usage of White/Dark light with the LEDs could be used here)
6) Meet Smaug and collect Arkenstone.
7) Legolas fights Bolg.
8) Sequence fighting Smaug and covering him with gold to win mode.

From the third movie-
1) Fight and kill Smaug as he destroys the town (sweeping fire LED effects)
2) Rescue Gandalf with Saruman, Elrond, and Lady Galadriel kicking ass.
3) Many big battles to play through
4) Legolas vs Bolg part two
5) Avenge Fili and Kili with Azog vs Thorin of course.

Funny, I remember the least about the most recent movie...it was one big battle a lot of the way I guess. LOL!

#8111 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The movies have nothing to do with how good this pinball machine will be. The Shadow stunk, but it's an awesome machine.

I sort of disagree. TS does not have constant video clips playing of a bad movie and with an alternate translate most people would hardly know it was based on the movies and not the comics. TH however will be playing movie clips and is covered with art based on the movie.

I didn't mind the movies, they were far from great but I've seen a lot worse. But people that really disliked the movies are going to have a hard time loving TH pinball machine.

#8112 4 years ago

I liked TH movies - were they as good as the LOTR trilogy? Hell no. TH and LOTR were on all weekend (TNT, USA or TBS - don't recall) - watched a few of them again. Still enjoyed them all.

TH, in my opinion, is a perfect theme for a pinball machine... regardless of the like/dislike for the movies.

As a comparison, I absolutely despise the Wizard of Oz movie - but damn if I don't love me some WOZ pinball!

#8113 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The movies have nothing to do with how good this pinball machine will be. The Shadow stunk, but it's an awesome machine.

You can't compare bad-movie 90s games to new ones. No one would ever spend $9k on Shadow. Most who have one spent less than $2k. In order to spend NIB money on a game the buyer generally has to have some connection with the theme.

#8114 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The Shadow stunk, but it's an awesome machine.

In The Shadow's defense, they at least had the sense to wrap things up after 108 minutes. Say what you will about Peter Jackson, but he evidently doesn't believe in leaving anything on the cutting room floor these days. If he shoots it, it's going in!

#8115 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I tuned in the other day, was on HBO and I just started watching it from the beginning (seen all three in the theater). I literally got bored half way through the barrel scene and changed the channel. Just so long and drawn out

The Hobbit was my favorite book of the 4, but honestly, I can't seem to get up the motivation to watch that last movie.

The LOTR movies OTOH were great.

#8116 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Just means that while we're waiting no one really wants to talk about the films.

#8117 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Hobbit was my favorite book of the 4, but honestly, I can't seem to get up the motivation to watch that last movie.

The LOTR books are pretty dry. Hobbit is accessible and fun. The LOTR movies brought the dry books to life. The Hobbit movies took a breezy book and turned it into an epic slog.

The last Hobbit movie is basically this:

1) Kill Smaug!
2) Brood a lot
3) Battles!
4) Angst break
5) Battles!
6) Some things are sad
7) Bilbo goes home

#8118 4 years ago

Let's wait what the extended version will bring, I heard it will be R-rated. I couldn't stand the LotR third part in the end in the cinema, the two hobbits at the end..schmalz! ...boring!.
But the extended version on blueray was way better and more like the book I love, so I hope it will be the same with The Hobbit Extended!

#8119 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Let's wait what the extended version will bring

Yes, because what was wrong with Hobbit films is they weren't long enough!

I'd rather see a version that trimmed all the fat and made a more compelling and fast moving story. The Rankin and Bass animated version was like 1/6th the length, and managed to hit all the important story notes.

#8120 4 years ago

Reminds me of a band that releases a hit first album. Everyone expects their second release to be at least as good if not better, but for whatever reason--e.g., the band's success leading either to overcommitment or indifference--the follow-up album is mediocre. Had the records been released in reverse order, everyone would have praised the group's development, but as it is, they're seen as a disappointment. Happens all the time.

#8121 4 years ago

People are tired of bashing JJP so let's just bash the movies whole we wait for some news...

#8122 4 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Hobbit films a little more than the Lord of the Rings films. Granted, I'm more into sci-fi, but that's how I feel.

#8123 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd rather see a version that trimmed all the fat and made a more compelling and fast moving story. The Rankin and Bass animated version was like 1/6th the length, and managed to hit all the important story notes.

To be fair...they added a TON to the movies that wasn't in the book. Azog, the whole necromancer/Sauron thing, Radagast, Orcs hunting them the entire time, Tauriel/Legolas, dwarf/Elf love story, fighting Smaug before he heads to Laketown, extended battles, extended Bard scenes with kids, how Smaug was killed...all not in the Hobbit book. It's not like they just made it longer, I mean at least they added story. I guess you're just saying trim all that? Some of those scenes were really cool and I'm glad they were there (all of Gandalf's stuff especially...in the book he just disappears for a while), but a lot could have been axed. Let's see what Keith cooks up for the modes/rules though. We'll probably all be glad there is so much there to use.

#8124 4 years ago

Am I the only one that really likes the movie The Shadow? What is not liked about this movie? Jonny Mnemonic I think is a OK dated movie and I see why people would hate that but The Shadow a bad movie? The Hobbit movies were a real let down for me. I think they are boring and that means that the pin has to really shine to make up for it. GOT theme wise is much more appealing for me thus the pin has to try less hard.

#8125 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Hobbit films a little more than the Lord of the Rings films. Granted, I'm more into sci-fi, but that's how I feel.

You may be alone there, but i also enjoyed The Hobbit movies a lot. They were fun. I thought the LOTR movies were better, but way more serious in tone though.

#8126 4 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Reminds me of a band that releases a hit first album. Everyone expects their second release to be at least as good if not better, but for whatever reason--e.g., the band's success leading either to overcommitment or indifference--the follow-up album is mediocre. Had the records been released in reverse order, everyone would have praised the group's development, but as it is, they're seen as a disappointment. Happens all the time.

are you comparing this to the hobbit pin or the movies?

#8127 4 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Am I the only one that really likes the movie The Shadow? What is not liked about this movie? Jonny Mnemonic I think is a OK dated movie and I see why people would hate that but The Shadow a bad movie?

I have very fond memories of watching The Shadow at the drive-in back in '94. And I bought the Blu-ray after I bought the pinball game, and enjoyed it again for nostalgic reasons (plus identifying all of the call-outs) and the camp factor. That said, it's hardly shocking that it failed to become the next Batman ...

#8128 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For me it's not important that a movie is as short as possible and therby hits all the important story notes.
It must have the right mix of pacing then it can go on as long as it wants. If they had done a mini TV show with the stuff it could also be good if the pacing of the parts would have been done in the right way. It's the same with a good game of pinball, multiball after multiball would be boring. Action after action after action, no matter how good can be boring and overloading in a movie. But with the right pacing it can go on and on. Some of my favourite movies are very long. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" "Dances with Wolves" "Heavens Gate" "Godfather" "Once Upon a Time in America" "Ben Hur" "Apocalypse Now Redux" "The Green Mile" And a few movies are only good in the directors cut, like "Kingdom of Heaven". Perhaps the Extended Hobbit Movie will have the right mix too.
But I don't want to drift to far away from JJPs Hobbit. The main reason why I am still in this game is, that Keith is doing the code and he understands to make rules that have the right mix of pacing to never get boring and still progress with new goals in every corner of the gameplay.

#8130 4 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

are you comparing this to the hobbit pin or the movies?

The movies. I thought the Hobbit films were not as good at the LOTR trilogy. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I am perfectly happy if someone else preferred them. I didn't hate them, but I thought Peter Jackson was self-indulgent, stretching the story into three films. My point in part is that it is hard to follow up a smashing success. Not many people do it well, although some manage.

#8131 4 years ago

Hobbit 1 = lame
Hobbit 2 = decent
Hobbit 3 = pointless filler

I blame digital projection. There's no cost penalty anymore for distributing long-ass films, so self-indulgent directors don't cut anything.

The last Transformers movie was almost as long as Dances with Wolves. WTF?

#8132 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I blame digital projection. There's no cost penalty anymore for distributing long-ass films, so self-indulgent directors don't cut anything.

Good point, hadn't thought about that.

#8133 4 years ago

And not just the print cost. Going much past 2 hours meant a third can had to be shipped to hold more than the standard 6 reels (2 hours)

#8134 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, rather than an extended version, how about a Director's Cut... thats really a CUT- not a bloat-fest.

Take all 3 films and make ONE good one.

Though it'd never happen since that would be Jackson admitting his f'ked up this thing royally.

I expect a "fan cut" will come out eventually.

#8135 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That's just weird, Ted.

#8136 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I feel the same way, but believe either is the perfect cure for an insomniac.

#8137 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yes, rather than an extended version, how about a Director's Cut... thats really a CUT- not a bloat-fest.
Take all 3 films and make ONE good one.
Though it'd never happen since that would be Jackson admitting his f'ked up this thing royally.
I expect a "fan cut" will come out eventually.

Do you really think Jackson f'ked this thing up? Would one movie made more money than the three? I don't think so. And it's still a business.

#8138 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

And if it was a 100% cgi cartoon, you may have even liked it better. But for many of us, special effects are icing on dessert and not really that important in a well written and acted movie.

#8139 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hobbit 1 = lame
Hobbit 2 = decent
Hobbit 3 = pointless filler
The last Transformers movie was almost as long as Dances with Wolves. WTF?

Good points! I feel like Peter Jackson pulled a George Lucas with The Hobbit films and placed too much emphasis on special effects and trying to push new tech. Gone were the large number of real actors in costumes / makeup for battles as well as the movies being shot on actual film.

#8140 4 years ago

I still see it in an other way.
There are a lot of things they will put into the 30 extra minutes that the extended version will have.

Let's take just one scene! One Scene! After a few camera angles we see Azog shouting for the WAR BEASTS! But we never see these beasts in the movie. They are in the book, but they are not in this movie! So the whole scene, Azog standing there and shouting, is boring for us movie visitors. We can't make a connection with it.
If there will be a war beasts scene in the extended version direct after this shout, this whole thing stops beeing boring and starts to make suddenly sense. I can only speak for myself, I will give this a chance, perhaps I will like the movie better in the final cut, even if it's longer. But I am just a pub owner and no movie maker, perhaps I will be wrong.

#8141 4 years ago

The book word count for TH compared to LOTR:

The Hobbit 95k
Fellowship of the Ring 186k
The Two Towers 154k
The Return of the King 130k

I enjoyed all the Hobbit films but think Peter Jackson failed massively by stretching the plot into 3 films. A real shame that greed prevailed.

#8142 4 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

The book word count for TH compared to LOTR:
The Hobbit 95k
Fellowship of the Ring 186k
The Two Towers 154k
The Return of the King 130k
I enjoyed all the Hobbit films but think Peter Jackson failed massively by stretching the plot into 3 films. A real shame that greed prevailed.

Originally I disagreed with the statement above as I always thought "the more Middle Earth" the better. However, after seeing all 3 films I now agree. The book could have been made into one solid strong film like you said instead of three weak ones. The second Hobbit film is my favorite of the three but that is due to the incredible Smaug scenes which I think are on the same level as the best scenes in LOTR.

The main issue I saw with stretching The Hobbit into 3 films is many of the scenes feel streetched out to the point that they are bad and / or become boring.

#8143 4 years ago

This is an interesting tangent on this thread. Having a high res LCD puts the movie or theme in your face, unlike the 128x32 resolution of a DMD ever could. DMD makes a mediocre movie or theme that you might not be fond of a lot more tolerable. For instance, at least Alec Baldwin is not animated in HD in TS! Meanwhile I cringe little bit every time I see the video clips on The Hobbit prototypes because those movies are so undeserving of another second of my time. Conversely, LCD makes a great movie or theme that you really like all that much better. I can't wait to see what is done with Alien!

#8144 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You may be alone there, but i also enjoyed The Hobbit movies a lot.

I really liked the movies as well. I've watched them multiple times. I can't wait to see the footage on TH. I like what I like, whether anyone else does or not.

#8145 4 years ago

I would rather the money thats put into display and animation were reverted into the playfield, I would much rather an alpha numeric display and better PF toys etc. I never even look at the display hardly while playing so who cares, for me the least important part of a pinball machine. Give me a simple cabinet and simple display and concentrate all efforts into the gameplay itself. JMO

#8146 4 years ago

Let me add that I am sure there are more than enough compelling bits in the three films to make for a fine pinball machine. I wasn't meaning to imply that the overly-long films somehow meant that the pin wouldn't be good. Fortunately, JJP is able to cherry pick the best clips, just as I wish Peter Jackson had done.

#8147 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

And not just the print cost. Going much past 2 hours meant a third can had to be shipped to hold more than the standard 6 reels (2 hours)

If we were talking random joe director... Ok... But these guys have virtually whatever they want based on their rep... Increased distribution costs are just dollars expected to be made back from the blockbuster they were promised. The bloated marketing budgets these days should dwarf extra stock/distribution.

#8148 4 years ago

I may be in the minority but I found all the movies entertaining. You want to bash a bad pin based movie, try TS or JM. I watched JM again after buying the machine and wow, just wow.

#8149 4 years ago

Why come there has never been a Dances With The Wolves pinball?

#8150 4 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Why come there has never been a Dances With The Wolves pinball?

There was. Avatar.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside