47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 201.
#701 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

No imitations PLEASE, if nothing, use out-take audio, no fakes!

Agreed. With 7+ hours of movie- you'd think there's be plenty to lift audio from.

It's too bad though that some of these guys are so greedy. I know very few people want to "work for free", but you'd think some of these actors are the right age/generation that they'd think it would be "cool" to be immortalized in a pinball machine....

Or at least, trade the work for a custom pinball machine (or 3) for their efforts.

#702 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Agreed. With 7+ hours of movie- you'd think there's be plenty to lift audio from.
It's too bad though that some of these guys are so greedy. I know very few people want to "work for free", but you'd think some of these actors are the right age/generation that they'd think it would be "cool" to be immortalized in a pinball machine....
Or at least, trade the work for a custom pinball machine (or 3) for their efforts.

You can do plenty with just lifting small bits.

#703 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

They've already been immortalized on the screen of a movie, I hardly think most people care about their voice coming out of some commercial arcade machine. I know it seems super cool to us, but it's just a game you stick quarters in that you hardly even see any more to most people. It's a gig, you show up for it, you get paid the going rate for a star of your caliber, that's just normal shit. It's not greed, it's what actors get paid now.

Remember, game voice work back in the STTNG days was a rare and weird thing. How many games, of any kind, had actors like that? Now a days it's super common, the games that utilize people have budgets the size of movies, and the rates have gone up. No one here is saying "hey, you bought your BBB for $4500, that's what you should sell it to me for", no reason to not give other people the same due.

#704 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Arer there any physics majors here who can help with the whole light & invisiglass thing?

Well, I have a PhD in materials science/engineering and took plenty of physics courses along the way; does that count? The shimmer effect has nothing to do with Invisiglass(tm). Simple test--slide off the glass partway and you still see the rippling effect with no glass over the pf. Pretty neat trippy effect.

I still think it's caused by the small separation of the individual sources in each rgb full-spectrum LED. It is only evient when doing the smoothly cycling rainbow effects.

#705 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

With 7+ hours of movie- you'd think there's be plenty to lift audio from.
It's too bad though that some of these guys are so greedy.

I think the guys charging 7K-10K for a NIB are just as greedy as the actor.

#706 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They've already been immortalized on the screen of a movie, I hardly think most people care about their voice coming out of some commercial arcade machine. I know it seems super cool to us, but it's just a game you stick quarters in that you hardly even see any more to most people. It's a gig, you show up for it, you get paid the going rate for a star of your caliber, that's just normal shit. It's not greed, it's what actors get paid now.
Remember, game voice work back in the STTNG days was a rare and weird thing. How many games, of any kind, had actors like that? Now a days it's super common, the games that utilize people have budgets the size of movies, and the rates have gone up. No one here is saying "hey, you bought your BBB for $4500, that's what you should sell it to me for", no reason to not give other people the same due.

Karl Urban thinks it's cool, and thank goodness for him! There's no way Stern would have paid $100,000 for voice work. Star Trek owners are lucky that Urban is invested in Bones and Pinball, and most likely worked for a free LE.

#707 10 years ago

Since 100 000 is for Morgan Freeman, I bet there is a lot of other actors from the film willing to do it for a lot less.

Come to think of it, it's a bit strange that even he would want that much. He's not that big a star. Could it be the movie company is behind this enormous price and it has nothing to do with the actors? It's a shame for sure. Pro actors can really add a lot to a game.

Why not contact John Rhys-Davies? He has already done two great pinball machines and Gimli is the son of one of the dwarfs in the movies. Stretching it a bit here, but personally I would be happy to have his voice in 3 of my games

#708 10 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Since 100 000 is for Morgan Freeman, I bet there is a lot of other actors from the film willing to do it for a lot less.
Come to think of it, it's a bit strange that even he would want that much. He's not that big a star. Could it be the movie company is behind this enormous price and it has nothing to do with the actors? It's a shame for sure. Pro actors can really add a lot to a game.
Why not contact John Rhys-Davies? He has already done two great pinball machines and Gimli is the son of one of the dwarfs in the movies. Stretching it a bit here, but personally I would be happy to have his voice in 3 of my games

I think you mean Martin Freeman. Morgan costs even more....God is expensive!

#709 10 years ago

Or get Ian Holm, who plays the older Bilbo.

#710 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you have a macro for posting something negative in every WOZ thread or down voting a positive WOZ / JJP comment?

I have no problem with WOZ or JJP. I also have no problem with rational fact based constructive criticism.

I do have a problem with long-winded redundancy.

#711 10 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Or get Ian Holm, who plays the older Bilbo.

John Holmes woulda been more interesting...

#712 10 years ago
Quoted from Noodlebox:

John Holmes woulda been more interesting...

Ram it in the scoop for Jackpot!

#713 10 years ago

Morgan would be fine too though

#714 10 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Morgan would be fine too though

Nothin to do with the theme- but Id love this callout on the "adult setting"

Hell... Id go for a whole Pulp Fiction pin...

48244516.jpg48244516.jpg

#715 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think STTNG or LOTR would be as highly regarded as they are today without the custom call outs from actors in the show / films.

I don't think there was much if any custom call outs for LOTR. I believe they were mostly pulled from the movie.
I could be wrong though.

#716 10 years ago

yes, you did bret...yes you did...you tried to F@@K em.

#717 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I still think it's caused by the small separation of the individual sources in each rgb full-spectrum LED. It is only evient when doing the smoothly cycling rainbow effects.

This is exactly what it is. You can see the different direction the light takes as the game does the purple/green bonus paint as well.

#718 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have no problem with WOZ or JJP. I also have no problem with rational fact based constructive criticism.

Aren't you the one who stalks some other dude and thumbs-downs everything he posts? Sounds like just as much a waste of time as parroting JJP propaganda...

#719 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I don't think there was much if any custom call outs for LOTR. I believe they were mostly pulled from the movie.
I could be wrong though.

You would be.

Elijah Wood (Frodo) as well as John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) provided a lot of custom callouts. It's one of the many huge draws with that game.

#720 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

seeing 3 WOZ's with 5 people deep all Saturday afternoon waiting to play it at MPE, and 3.0 out which makes the game have one of the deepest rulesets in pinball.

Really? I was at the TPF and the lines were no longer than all the other pins around. In fact there were a few times I walked by and there was either only one person or nobody playing the game. That's a big difference from last year at the TPF where there were a dozen or more always waiting to play the game. All I can guess is that most of the people who were waiting in line to play last year must finally have their game or played their friends game.

#721 10 years ago

What's the custom Frodo speech? All I know of is the dwarf's speech...

#722 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Elijah Wood (Frodo) as well as John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) provided a lot of custom callouts. It's one of the many huge draws with that game.

Ahh thanks for that. Were there any other custom call outs?

#723 10 years ago

So, if JJP has licensed the "material" - is it assumed they can use any existing outtakes for audio and/or video or does that ALL have to be approved per use?

#724 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Theres a simple solution to that...don't read it Sounds like you just can't stand to reading anything good about JJP / WOZ yet don't mind posting jabs (not talking criticism) repeatedly towards them.

or...just keep following this mindset about JJP and WOZ :p.

#725 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What's the custom Frodo speech? All I know of is the dwarf's speech...

Off the top of my head there's a countdown (maybe more than one) and all the ring callouts that stand out. I don't know the game that well but I think there's more. A watch of the game on youtube would probably let you hear some.

#726 10 years ago

Ahh thanks for that. Were there any other custom call outs?

From other actors? Not to my knowledge. There might be stand ins for other characters for custom work, but I think other call outs are simply pulled from the movie directly.

#727 10 years ago

Really? I was at the TPF and the lines were no longer than all the other pins around. In fact there were a few times I walked by and there was either only one person or nobody playing the game. That's a big difference from last year at the TPF where there were a dozen or more always waiting to play the game. All I can guess is that most of the people who were waiting in line to play last year must finally have their game or played their friends game.

I was at TPF Friday and Saturday. WOZ had the deepest lines I saw. I didn't get a chance to play it until Saturday evening, when I finally bit the bullet and waited in line.

#728 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Aren't you the one who stalks some other dude and thumbs-downs everything he posts? Sounds like just as much a waste of time as parroting JJP propaganda...

Takes 1 second to thumbs down someone vs. however long it takes to type multiple paragraphs. I don't stalk, but if I see a long-winded trollish post from certain redundant individuals, I will thumbs down as a time saver to responding. The feature's there to say "I disagree"....why call me a stalker for using it?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Theres a simple solution to that...don't read it Sounds like you just can't stand to reading anything good about JJP / WOZ yet don't mind posting jabs (not talking criticism) repeatedly towards them.
or...just keep following this mindset about JJP and WOZ :p.
» YouTube video

Context is your friend, and you KNOW I often write positive things about JJP/WoZ when there are positive things to discuss. I just think it's silly how any constructive criticism is instantly dismissed by you as "hate", followed by multiple paragraphs about how WOZ is the most complex game ever made with the most best toys ever. You don't have to take it so personally and sell it so hard every time.

#729 10 years ago

100k for 10 minuts is just embarrassing.

But, there is still hope Smaug will scream out loud MULTIBALL in the 3rd movie.

You never know, .

#730 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Takes 1 second to thumbs down someone vs. however long it takes to type multiple paragraphs. I don't stalk, but if I see a long-winded trollish post from certain redundant individuals, I will thumbs down as a time saver to responding. The feature's there to say "I disagree"....why call me a stalker for using it?

Context is your friend, and you KNOW I often write positive things about JJP/WoZ when there are positive things to discuss. I just think it's silly how any constructive criticism is instantly dismissed by you as "hate", followed by multiple paragraphs about how WOZ is the most complex game ever made with the most best toys ever. You don't have to take it so personally and sell it so hard every time.

Thats not true. I understand theres going to be criticism about the game, that's expected. There are things that have annoyed me about the game as well as some actions taken by JJP. I don't count jabs and name calling as constructive criticism. I dont want to argue anymore about this, as I'm sure you don't. I apologize if I took it too far in some replies. I enjoy WOZ obviously a lot and have a lot of pride in supporting a company like JJP because of what they did with WOZ and the positive effects making that game has had on pinball.

#731 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

You never know, .

Haha, that would be awesome. Hopefully JJP can at least get one actor from the films for some call outs.

#732 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

You never know, .

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.

--Luke

#733 10 years ago

I was at TPF Friday and Saturday. WOZ had the deepest lines I saw. I didn't get a chance to play it until Saturday evening, when I finally bit the bullet and waited in line.

LOL, well I was there the whole weekend. Never saw "the deepest lines" as you say. There were people playing them but not any more than the other games. Especially all the new games at the Marco booth, and nowhere near the lines we saw last year.

#734 10 years ago
Quoted from riverinapinball:

100,000 is $100 each on 1000 machines. Not that expensive.

Except when the whole license for the game is $25.

#735 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Off the top of my head there's a countdown (maybe more than one) and all the ring callouts that stand out. I don't know the game that well but I think there's more. A watch of the game on youtube would probably let you hear some.

Ahh that's right... they're not as memorable as Gimli's to me, but I can see them having to be custom, can't pull phrases like that from the movie

#736 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thats not true. I understand theres going to be criticism about the game, that's expected. There are things that have annoyed me about the game as well as some actions taken by JJP. I don't count jabs and name calling as constructive criticism. I dont want to argue anymore about this, as I'm sure you don't. I apologize if I took it too far in some replies. I enjoy WOZ obviously a lot and have a lot of pride in supporting a company like JJP because of what they did with WOZ and the positive effects making that game has had on pinball.

I love you too

#737 10 years ago

LOL, well I was there the whole weekend. Never saw "the deepest lines" as you say. There were people playing them but not any more than the other games. Especially all the new games at the Marco booth, and nowhere near the lines we saw last year.

Plenty more people playing WOZ than other games.

Check out JJP Facebook post from TPF. My brother and I are standing in line waiting to play it. Took forever to get through.

I'm not tooting WOZ's horn. I liked Star Trek LE a lot more. Just stating the facts.

#738 10 years ago

Plenty more people playing WOZ than other games.
Check out JJP Facebook post from TPF. My brother and I are standing in line waiting to play it. Took forever to get through.
I'm not tooting WOZ's horn. I liked Star Trek LE a lot more. Just stating the facts.

So true,the lines were always a minimum of three couples deep.
Next year The Hobbit @ the TPF in Frisco Texas!!!!!

#739 10 years ago

Josh Robert Thompson (voice of Geoff Peterson on Craig Ferguson) does a fantastic Morgan Freeman impression

(video/audio is NSFW)

#740 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love you too

Lol! Haha

#741 10 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

What I want to know is: how much would Ian McKellen want? Personally, I'd much rather have callouts from Gandalf than from Bilbo anyways.

Considering he didn't want anything to do with LOTR, I don't think we even bothered to ask him. Hugo Weaving also flat-out denied us on LOTR.

Quoted from pinstyle:

I have a feeling it's possible I will see TH orders filled and shipped before I see my WOZ.

No.

Quoted from ThatGuy:

Wow, I really hope that's not true about the amount of money Martin Freeman wanted for voice work. My wife and I really love him in Sherlock and of course The Hobbit. That would be disappointing to know he demanded that much money.

In all likelihood, Mr. Freeman probably doesn't even know about the offer; it was probably just his agent talking without even approaching him.

#742 10 years ago

Hmm..
I hope you are right Keith.

#743 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Considering he didn't want anything to do with LOTR, I don't think we even bothered to ask him. Hugo Weaving also flat-out denied us on LOTR.

I find this so strange on many levels but it sounds common enough for all the current manufacturers - why WOULDNT actors want to do some minor voice work for a silly pinball? Is it that much of a burden? Are they that busy, or are they that set against sharing their likeness?

#744 10 years ago

I definitely think Ian McKellen would do the best call outs.
image-589.jpgimage-589.jpg

#745 10 years ago

He didn't want anything to do with LOTR????? HE's been apart of the franchise for what, 10 years now?

So basically what your saying is that there weren't enough zeros on that paycheck, correct? They didn't give a rats ass about the project or the fact that it was pinball. It was only about cash......King cash.

QSS

#746 10 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

So basically what your saying is that there weren't enough zeros on that paycheck, correct? They didn't give a rats ass about the project or the fact that it was pinball. It was only about cash......King cash.
QSS

Yep, unlike some, he is NOT doing it "for the love of pinball".

#747 10 years ago

No.

In all likelihood, Mr. Freeman probably doesn't even know about the offer; it was probably just his agent talking without even approaching him.

Perhaps you were talking to Ian and Hugo's agents as well? Perhaps they didn't know anymore than Martin? Why would Martin be in the dark and not Ian/Hugo?

#748 10 years ago

That's exactly right, dumb ass agents that don't understand the concept that 100% of nothing is …..nothing.

These guys would have to be complete idiots for turning down voice work that might take what, an hour of their time, well I guess they and/or their agents are…..

#749 10 years ago

Call up Elijah Wood and see if he wants to do it, he's everyone's favorite hobbit anyway. Even if you use voice samples, won't this still incur costs for the actor's likeness? I say use art from the 1960s animated version and suck helium in and pretend to be a "hobbit".

#750 10 years ago

Sorry but that's not the way I saw it. In fact I was thinking about taking a picture because I couldn't believe there were no lines to the game. Here are some facts for you. Watch this video from Pinball News at the 9:10 mark.

There is one person playing the game and with his girlfriend watching. You see two people behind the player with their arms on each other but they may or may not be waiting to play. Not really much of a Deep line. In fact there are more people watching and waiting to play the TRON which is right next to the WOZ.

Like I said twice already and I don't know why we are debating this but the point is the lines were nowhere near what they were last year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.