Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 148 of 201.
#7351 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Certainly there are voice actors out there that could sound pretty close to original. It would not surprise me if Jack used friends or relatives to do those voices to save money.

It's a licensed product...you don't get to hire your friends and family to do voices for licensed products. Like them or not, those are the voice actors WB chose and/or approved of. Doesn't mean they made the right choice. Listen to the terrible voices on X-Men or the miscast voices on Avengers....both approved by Marvel.

#7352 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Hopefully pats game will just be released and we won't need these ridiculous update threads spanning over years.
But I guess hobbit buyers need something to grasp onto cause all they have is this thread.

It seems you have even less.

#7353 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a licensed product...you don't get to hire your friends and family to do voices for licensed products. Like them or not, those are the voice actors WB chose and/or approved of. Doesn't mean they made the right choice. Listen to the terrible voices on X-Men or the miscast voices on Avengers....both approved by Marvel.

True. Those were pretty bad. Worse than woz

#7354 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

It seems you have even less.

Less risk maybe. And I've got 8k ready to spend IF it ever comes out and lives up to the hype.

#7355 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I wouldn't give up on it yet, sometimes repeated play on a machine that initially didn't like will change your mind, pinball to me is one of those rare exceptions to the "you can't undo a first impression" rule. I didn't care at all for CFTBL or The Shadow when they came out, now a couple of my favorite games.

That is true, but..... I am viewing from a different position as you.

You have 97 pins.

I have trouble to feed myself atm. A NIB is a dream to me, but one day i will buy 1. And if i do, every aspect of the game has to be perfect to my liking.

Everything is perfect but one shot is a bit lame? Wont buy it... Cant take the risc. And honoustly, for 6k euro or more, i think that aint unfair. I never had a car costing that much money, lol.

But if you can buy multiple pins, i understand you will buy a pin faster even it has little stuff you dont like. Just like videogames.

I am not in that position. First i wanted to say, i am sadly not in that position. But i live in peace in have a house and enough food to survive.

I think i am doing not all to bad . But even i have dreams....

#7356 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Less risk maybe. And I've got 8k ready to spend IF it ever comes out and lives up to the hype.

See - I don't mind the pre-order like some other people. I couldn't afford a NIB all at once and I'm not a good saver so I'd never get all the cash together. I've been happily making small payments for a while and it works well for me. I consider it like layaway.

I'd never have had the cash for my STLE if I didn't get such an amazing deal on the trade-in of my STTNG. I guess everyone is different and that's what makes the world go round

Sure the delays are frustrating but I think it's worth the wait.

#7357 4 years ago

I don't consider a deposit to be objectionable. I put $1k down when ordering my STLE, for example. I do not equate that with paying an entire $8k in advance.

#7358 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Says the guy who can't play it.

wifey plays it. i play wd le, met le, tron le....... nahh i suck at all the pins really.

really want a hobbit though so i can put next to my woz and play next to my wifey.

#7360 4 years ago

sorry, jet lag after coming back from cax took the redeye home . shoulda got some sleep!!
hobbit looks great i can hardly wait.

#7361 4 years ago

I think it will be a bad business decision if Jack shows Pat's prototype this year. That may w/draw Hobbit owners that have not gotten their pins yet. I know production is suppose to start on the Hobbit in September but we all know only a hand full will be out by December 2015. Just saying if i like what i see in Pat's game and i do not have the Hobbit, I'M OUT OF THE HOBBIT.

#7362 4 years ago

I have owned all of Pats games, and plan on buying his next release. That has nothing to do with my THSE purchase.

#7363 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think it will be a bad business decision if Jack shows Pat's prototype this year. That may w/draw Hobbit owners that have not gotten their pins yet. I know production is suppose to start on the Hobbit in September but we all know only a hand full will be out by December 2015. Just saying if i like what i see in Pat's game and i do not have the Hobbit, I'M OUT OF THE HOBBIT.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I definitely get your point, but while he may diminish TH sales and "poach" sales from himself he also adds options and adds to the market to allow JJP to "poach" from other Pinball Companies as well. Not necessarily bad business, maybe just bad for his TH market (if at all). It would be a win-win for consumers though. More options is better imho.

#7364 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm afraid you're right... and thats why Im frustrated by the TH delays... more because i feel it is REALLY delaying JJP #3 even more!

So I dont think jack will set himself up to allow #3 to cannibalize #2 sales. At least not until he's shipped HUNDREDS of them and they're creating their own wild buzz in the marketplace.

I think a bigger threat to TH is a Stern GoT machine (assuming TH is slow to ship and Stern kicks up the innovation with GoT- ie LCD, great sound, etc).

#7365 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm afraid you're right... and thats why Im frustrated by the TH delays... more because i feel it is REALLY delaying JJP #3 even more!

It may also be helping to provide ample time to get JJP#3 on the assembly line as it's being announced.

#7366 4 years ago

With Dalbok on this. Several JJP machines on the go the threat is to Stern.

#7367 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think a bigger threat to TH is a Stern GoT machine (assuming TH is slow to ship and Stern kicks up the innovation with GoT- ie LCD, great sound, etc).

And there's only so much money in owners pockets to drop these NIB, highly priced machines. Sure we'll probably have tons of options to purchase this fall/winter (TH, GoT, Kiss, SMVE, Alien, etc), but most people don't have that kind of money to drop, let alone on just one. Most of us will have to choose.

Just one of the reasons I bailed on TH. The delays are doing them no favors, and announcing Lawlor's pin before 2016 would be a poor decision. You might get a name reveal at Expo, but I'm guess not much more than that.

#7368 4 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

With Dalbok on this. Several JJP machines on the go the threat is to Stern.

Can someone please translate this for me?

#7369 4 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Several JJP machines on the go the threat is to Stern.

Not while JJP has no sub $5K option, which are the majority of NIB sales*

*numbers pulled out of my butt, but I'm pretty confident about it.

#7370 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

What language would you like it translated to?

#7371 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Not while JJP has no sub $5K option, which are the majority of NIB sales*
*numbers pulled out of my butt, but I'm pretty confident about it.

Agreed. Stern owns the entry level. I think that Heighway is going to put a lot of pressure on Stern's Prem/LE side of things with their Standard pricing and the features, but nobody in the game can touch Stern's Pro price point right now, for better or for worse.

Of course that often means a "stripped down" experience, which is just going to become more so feeling as multiple companies are shipping games with RGB lighting, LCD screens, etc.

Maybe Game of Thrones will be the Stern response, so far the Spike games are the same old same old as far as the usual cutdown with taking out drop targets, old school DMDs, limited RGB options, etc.

#7372 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

It's better for JJP to have a "portfolio" of games for customers to choose from - that's the only way they become real competition to Stern. Right now a customer's choice for NIB pinball is WOZ, Metallica, Mustang, Star Trek, Walking Dead, Kiss, WWE, and Whoa Nellie. 7 choices from Stern, 1 from JJP. All it takes is someone not digging the theme or the price, and they go buy a Stern.

#7373 4 years ago

Rarehero that's right. A large number of people didn't like the WOZ theme and plenty didn't like the gameplay. It has sold pretty well. As soon as people really like a JJP game it will sell in the thousands. I'm in the UK and I think Heighway are well placed to compete with Stern. But not with JJP. Price matters but if you are getting a "Rolls Royce " people will spend.

#7374 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Of course that often means a "stripped down" experience, which is just going to become more so feeling as multiple companies are shipping games with RGB lighting, LCD screens, etc.

Agreed. The one part that isn't stripped down as much is the actual *playing* a fun pinball machine. Met Pro, Tron Pro and Kiss Pro are all a ton of fun, do well on location, are great for tournaments, and are actually somewhat affordable for operators. Stern is doing something right with the Pro option.

#7375 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed. Stern owns the entry level. I think that Heighway is going to put a lot of pressure on Stern's Prem/LE side of things with their Standard pricing and the features

How so?

I mean Heighway seems like they will indeed offer *alternatives* to Stern's Premium and LE pins, so if that's what you mean by pressure I agree as it will take some money away from Stern.

But I do not see anything particularly noteworthy about Heighway's pricing or features that would put "pressure" on Stern's Prem/LE model and pricing that would force them to do anything differently (that they aren't already planning on). Alien LE is more than $8k, and unlike Stern, I am assuming that is pretty much the price you will pay instead of getting it substantially less than the MSRP like you can on Stern pins. So how is having a higher price for an LE going to put pressure on Stern?

We've seen lots of video of Full Throttle now as well. The non LE version is priced just a bit less than a Premium Stern would be (with shipping included). I think Full Throttle is pretty cool, but I don't look at it and say "holy cow, you are getting so much more for your money here than you'd ever get with a Stern Premium, Stern is really going to have pressure to change things."

#7376 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I do not see anything particularly noteworthy about Heighway's pricing or features that would put "pressure" on Stern's Prem/LE model..... Alien LE is more than $8k

Quoted from Aurich:

I think that Heighway is going to put a lot of pressure on Stern's Prem/LE side of things with their Standard pricing and the features

RobT you are comparing Heighway LE to Stern LE and I agree there is no real compelling pressure there. I THINK Aurich is comparing Heighway Standard vs Stern LE and indicating this comparison will pressure Stern.

The insinuation is that Heighway's standard models will be 'equivalent' to Stern's Prem/LEs and will be dollar for dollar a better value.

#7377 4 years ago

Rob I just responded in another thread to you about this, so don't want to repeat myself too much, but the short version is Heighway Standard is priced like Stern Premium. But with Heighway you're getting full RGB lighting, high rez LCD screen, widebody if you care about that. Etc. More features.

We'll see what Stern does with Game of Thrones and LCD screen etc. Sure it's coming. But right now for the same money you can get standard LEDs and the old school dot DMD, or complete color changing lighting and full color high rez animations.

To me that's pressure on Stern's model. JJP Standards are priced like Heighway LEs, I agree that high end part isn't going to hurt Stern as much. And no one is competing with their Pros. But Heighway is at least playing in the Stern pricing sandbox now.

Personally I think this is what we all wanted to see. Real competition. Pressure to do more, be better. We all win, whichever game you buy.

#7378 4 years ago

And.....reel it back in on topic folks....Hobbit info. Or don't post.

#7379 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Rob I just responded in another thread to you about this, so don't want to repeat myself too much, but the short version is Heighway Standard is priced like Stern Premium. But with Heighway you're getting full RGB lighting, high rez LCD screen, widebody if you care about that. Etc. More features.

Last I checked, I have full RGB lighting on my Stern Premium TWD?

Widebody is not a selling point to me or most people as far as I know. I know I wouldn't go into buying either FTH or Alien with the mindset that "it's so cool this is going to be a widebody pin."

I definitely like the LCD screen that Heighway has in the PF, but it's hardly a game changer or something that would compel me to buy a Heighway pin over a Stern Premium. As usual, it will still come down to theme and game play. But is the LCD screen on the PF an advantage that Heighway has? Sure! It just isn't a particularly big one to me.

And what about the areas where Stern Premiums have an advantage over Heighway? Sorry, but the backbox on the Heighway pins looks pretty darn goofy on Full Throttle. It looks cheap. Stern has a clear advantage there. I am really hoping that something is done so that the backbox on Alien will look better.

Quoted from NJGecko:

Wow, that did go off topic. Apologies. Aurich, lets take it to the other thread.

#7380 4 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Confirmed Hobbit Shipping date:

Not to be snarky, but the current Hobbit info is "people have hundreds of thousands down but don't have any real idea when/if games will be shipped".

Talking about that for page after page seems a lot more depressing than Heighway JJP banter.

If I get a thread eject over this, then sad day for me, but them's the facts as far as I know. If you take the view to "just post positive stuff that is on topic" then may as well just lock this thread until we get a firm shipping date.

Just one pinsider's opinion, I could be wrong

#7381 4 years ago

Threads are allowed to go dormant until there's relevant info.

#7382 4 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Rarehero that's right. A large number of people didn't like the WOZ theme and plenty didn't like the gameplay. It has sold pretty well. As soon as people really like a JJP game it will sell in the thousands. I'm in the UK and I think Heighway are well placed to compete with Stern. But not with JJP. Price matters but if you are getting a "Rolls Royce " people will spend.

I can't remember ever posting about a pre-released pin. That said, I am also not a JJP fanboi. I loved the WOZ theme, thought it was innovative and beautiful and even though I really wanted to love it - the gameplay was just not fun for me. I am a huge Steve Ritchie fan and love fast gameplay with good flow.

During Pintastic this year I had the opportunity to play several games on The Hobbitt. I can assure you that The Hobbit is as fun to play as it is beautiful - REALLY fun to play. My prediction is that The Hobbit will be a MASSIVE hit for JJP and those who get out of their pre-orders will regret it. Flame away - but in this case the old adage "anything worth having is worth waiting for" is true.

Didn't Pat make creepy Rudy? Not sure how that would be competition for the style and gameplay of The Hobbitt.

#7383 4 years ago

I agree about the Hobbit being a hit. It's going to be a must have. Immersive movie based missions unlike any pin before it.

#7384 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I agree about the Hobbit being a hit. It's going to be a must have. Immersive movie based missions unlike any pin before it.

If you weren't in the pre-order group, how long will it take before you can just buy one? ...and at that point - it's what, $9k+? I don't know if anyone's that passionate about the movies to drop that kind of dough on the pin. Might be too little, too late, too much. I think Tolkien nuts would rather save a few bucks and pick up a LOTR.

#7385 4 years ago

Came out the other day on NPR (don't know if it's been mentioned). Ian Mckellen's view on his voice in games and what he gets for it. On 33:00: http://www.npr.org/2015/07/20/424641957/at-76-actor-ian-mckellen-embodies-an-older-sherlock-in-mr-holmes

#7386 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you weren't in the pre-order group, how long will it take before you can just buy one? ...and at that point - it's what, $9k+? I don't know if anyone's that passionate about the movies to drop that kind of dough on the pin. Might be too little, too late, too much. I think Tolkien nuts would rather save a few bucks and pick up a LOTR.

You may be right - and for me personally - I cannot justify spending $8k-$9k on a pinball machine. If I won the lotto - okay - but until then (or until it is a business for me) I'm priced out of this market.

I have played both LOTR and The Hobbit and can honestly say it truly is the difference between driving a Chevy or driving a Rolls.

#7387 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I have played both LOTR and The Hobbit and can honestly say it truly is the difference between driving a Chevy or driving a Rolls.

Yeah...but in this case, I really like the Chevy. Does that make me a bad person?

#7388 4 years ago

Which is the Chevy?

#7389 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Which is the Chevy?

Must be LOTR since that's the one I'd rather be driving.

#7390 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Must be LOTR since that's the one I'd rather be driving.

Pinterest...what say you?

#7392 4 years ago

Note to Shapeshifter: Stop writing with invisible ink.

#7393 4 years ago

If they increase the price on The Hobbit it will make my decision between it and Game of Thrones that much easier.

#7394 4 years ago

I'm getting both. Which one will stay remains to be seen, but three dragons can usually take down one.

#7395 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

#7396 4 years ago

Good comeback shapeshifter!

#7397 4 years ago

New pics from JJP's Facebook page.

10410501_1021518881200041_710493046861180748_n.jpg
10670078_1021518811200048_2206810113148196708_n.jpg
11701147_1021518851200044_304134947764982643_n.jpg
11800278_1021518834533379_366160041087123851_n.jpg

#7398 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I own a tricked out LOTR. It's a great game, but not without faults. Clunky right ramp, path of the dead is lame, music is really lofi and synthetic. The Hobbit will be a whole new world and not just for Tolkien fans. in a pinball it's not important how great the movie was. It's just important that the theme pulls you into the world and makes you want to complete modes and see more. The Hobbit world is really cool and so are the characters. The movies have enough action and that's all you need. Tron is a good example. Movie was OK but it's a great theme for a pin.

#7399 4 years ago

148 pages of bullshit, and finally an update!

#7400 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

FYI: Shapeshifter just sent me 4 PMs written in invisible ink. Classic.

And I just wanted to quote myself because it seems to piss off EK77.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Trade
Sale Pending!
Springboro, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 148 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside