Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 201.
#7051 4 years ago

List grows by the day.

#7052 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Believe me, the fascination does not last.
I think this is the weakest of the 3.

We just grabbed it from RedBox, probably never watch it again. LOTR on the other hand, Ive watched all 3 of those multiple times. Probably the best Trilogy of all times. My apologies to StarWars and Doug Manley.

#7053 4 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

List grows by the day.

I wonder how much fun it is when the only posts someone can see is their own...

#7054 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I wonder how much fun it is when the only posts someone can see is their own...

Let us know

#7055 4 years ago

Ok, I'm a "known JJP supporter", which means take this as gospel or with a grain of salt, depending where you fall on the JJP curve. I like The Hobbit. Yes, there are a couple pre-production game issues at the show. But overall, this game is going to be a winner. I was able to figure out parts, but it constantly felt like there was more going on than I understood. Right from the skill shot to the drain. Watching other people's reactions playing was interesting. As they started modes they were clearly displayed on the LCD, but not understanding the modes, which is expected playing a new game.

The shots: It shoots longer than you think (distance), until the spider hurryup that feels like it's on top of you close to the flipper. It took me a bit to start hitting the orbits, but I finally got them going.

Lighting: Jack seems to have learned from the first game, because there is a lot more lighting here. I also had not realized how many inserts there were until looking at it for a bit.

Mechs: The stuff that comes out of the playfield make great shots in the hurryups. Between the wargs, orcs and spider, they seem well implemented, and VERY well lit when they pop up. The ramps work well, with one exception of I saw a ball fly down the ramp and out (pre-production). And if you don't understand the windlance, I think it dumped and drained once.

Play: it's an interesting shooter. It kept drawing me in to play it, and I was getting angry at drains, which happens to me when a machine draws me in well.

Sound... OMG I wished we were in my house with everything else quiet, because it sounds awesome! The buildup in the sound seems really well done.

LCD: WAY more info than I expected. I think it will take me a bit to digest it all. However the choice of scenes for ball locks, Multiball, and the game over sequence are great. Combined with the sound, I like the integration a lot.

Smaug. He talks I think his eyes should look a little higher so he looks the player in the eye, but the talking works well. He also has some lights inside him that light as he talks.

Overall, I was waiting for JJP#3 (Hi Pat!). Playing this will make that decision harder. I didn't like the hobbit movies, but although the game is based on that, the game itself is fun, even as it sits in a pre-production state. And when you come down to it, fun is all that matters to me. I guess that means don't be shocked if I switch up and buy a TH as well.

Jack is speaking later, so I'll update from the seminar room later today.

#7056 4 years ago

What time is Jacks talk? How many hours from now?

#7057 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

What time is Jacks talk? How many hours from now?

I believe it starts in 15 minutes.

#7058 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I believe it starts in 15 minutes.

Yup. I just grabbed a seat.

#7059 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yup. I just grabbed a seat.

Film it and post it!

#7060 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Film it and post it!

Jared is streaming it.

#7061 4 years ago

Or was. Stream just died.

#7062 4 years ago

Yeah, stream is dead. Was hard to hear anyway. Heard Jared typing more than I heard the people speaking.

#7063 4 years ago

ITS DEAD

#7064 4 years ago

Is there a link?

#7065 4 years ago

It's ALIVE!! Butch currently going over prototype PF's and art changes.

http://ustre.am/1pF90 Link to coverage.

#7066 4 years ago

Dead again

Doesn't matter too much - JJP hasn't updated their presentation in a while

EDIT: Wasn't down long...back up now

#7067 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Dead again
Doesn't matter too much - JJP hasn't updated their presentation in a while

I noticed that too.

#7068 4 years ago

Yeah. Will wait for others to post the news.

#7069 4 years ago

Butch is talking, and from an outsiders perspective, fascinating little details of the evolution of a game.

The layers of the way they paint them, and the details when you are working on getting things approved by the license holder.

#7070 4 years ago

Meh, so far seems like the same stuff we heard at NW Pinball. Hopefully JJP will drop some updates on production before they end.

#7071 4 years ago

Yes, mostly same PPT they used at NW so far...

Seen it many times, but still amazing how much BETTER the latest PF design is.... startlingly better.

#7072 4 years ago

The Hobbit Manual IN COLOR

#7073 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

The Hobbit Manual IN COLOR

Fantastic

#7074 4 years ago

Note: the crying/whining in the audience is NOT me....

Sounds like:
folks will see assembly work happening by open house
shipping by Sept 21

#7075 4 years ago

Late August to September for production. DAMN. I guess i won't get mine til 2016. HOLY SHIT....

#7076 4 years ago

beaten to it

#7077 4 years ago

Good story about bringing Pat back into pinball...

No offense to the guys holding their breath for hobbit news, but definitely me favorite part of the show...

Good Lawlor stuff.... not much there for TH faithful though looking for updates though, was there?

#7078 4 years ago

My main concern was when will i get the Hobbit. The answer is I WILL NOT GET IT THIS YEAR..

#7079 4 years ago

Month or two Lawlor will be into his next game...game 2

#7080 4 years ago

Wow- building ANOTHER 700-800 WoZ game. Pretty Impressive.

Boy was I wrong about that theme....

Maybe it was my imagination, but I felt like there was more NEWS about WoZ and JJP #3 than there was about TH!

#7081 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Boy was I wrong about that theme

I am starting to think WOZ will sell more pins than the hobbit. If #3 is as good as JJP is thinking it could sabotage many hobbit orders if announced this year.

#7082 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am starting to think WOZ will sell more pins than the hobbit. If #3 is as good as JJP is thinking it could sabotage many hobbit orders if announced this year.

I think GOT is a bigger risk to TH IF it gets announced before they start pumping them off the factory line...

#7083 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Wow- building ANOTHER 700-800 WoZ game. Pretty Impressive.
Boy was I wrong about that theme....
Maybe it was my imagination, but I felt like there was more NEWS about WoZ and JJP #3 than there was about TH!

I believe Jack was talking about building another 700-800 WOZ games through the expiration of the license in 2017. Still impressive but not that surprising to me.

Also, even though there wasn't a whole lot of TH news, the question and answer session was pretty interesting. I got what I wanted regarding TH....September ship date. I should be in early production.

#7084 4 years ago

700 to 800 woz at 8000 average a piece = JJP in my opinion aint going nowhere, approx 6 million in sales.

Good news IMO.

#7085 4 years ago

Did anyone by chance record some game play footage at Pinstastic today?
Does anyone know if Jack's presentation was recorded? Thanks!!

#7086 4 years ago

20150709_200306.jpg

#7087 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think GOT is a bigger risk to TH IF it gets announced before they start pumping them off the factory line...

It certainty could be. As much as I love GOT I just don't feel right now that it will have the same level of detail as The Hobbit does in terms of audio / video assets and rules. I hope I'm wrong. Some other points.

1. The team working on TH. Keith Johnson, Ted Estes, David Thiel and JP. These guys are going to bring everything alive on the Hobbit playfield in a big way.
2. 34 custom tracks recorded by Two Steps From Hell.
3. 2 voice actors doing custom call outs and maybe a third
4. Theme integration in TH is amazing. Game uses video and audio assets from all 3 films.
5. Mission based ruleset with 34 modes. Is that a record? lol
6. Keith Johnson and Ted Estes are on the code.
7. 27" LCD plus smaller LCD on the playfield.
8. Code support will be great. Just look at WOZ's code support
9. User interaction. The "ring" button controls multiple items on the game including the user controlled kickback, ramp divertor and the subway

How GOT could be a big risk to The Hobbit in my opinion

1. Mission based ruleset that pulls from events across all seasons.
2. Stern's first game with an LCD display in the backbox
3. Uses voice audio from the show. Stern cannot afford to pull a Walking Dead with GOT (if they do make it) and not include the original voice actors in the game.
4. Stern hires one of the GOT cast members to do custom call-outs (Peter Dinklage did do voice work for the video game Destiny so he might me up for a GOT pinball machine)
5. Some cool interactive toys. Example: a motorized magnet that picks up the ball and brings it to a mini playfield representing "The Wall". Steve Ritchie makes some crazy fast and awesome games. However, I think a GOT pin would benefit from less flow (still plays at a good pace) and some cool interactive toys.

#7088 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVon:

Did anyone by chance record some game play footage at Pinstastic today?
Does anyone know if Jack's presentation was recorded? Thanks!!

I should have recorded something, but I was just watching it trying to figure out the modes. And right now it's in the after party and the crowd around it is a bit too big to record stuff.

The more I played it, the more I liked it. I know Jack talked about it in his seminar, but they didn't just make another WOZ. They build something different. I've got a good feeling about this game.

#7089 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It certainty could be. As much as I love GOT I just don't feel right now that it will have the same level of detail as The Hobbit does in terms of audio / video assets and rules. I hope I'm wrong. Some other points.
1. The team working on TH. Keith Johnson, Ted Estes, David Thiel and JP. These guys are going to bring everything alive on the Hobbit playfield in a big way.
2. 34 custom tracks recorded by Two Steps From Hell.
3. 2 voice actors doing custom call outs and maybe a third
4. Theme integration in TH is amazing. Game uses video and audio assets from all 3 films.
5. Mission based ruleset with 34 modes. Is that a record? lol
6. Keith Johnson and Ted Estes are on the code.
7. 27" LCD plus smaller LCD on the playfield.
8. Code support will be great. Just look at WOZ's code support
9. User interaction. The "ring" button controls multiple items on the game including the user controlled kickback, ramp divertor and the subway
1. Mission based ruleset that pulls from events across all seasons.
2. Stern's first game with an LCD display in the backbox
3. Uses voice audio from the show. Stern cannot afford to pull a Walking Dead with GOT (if they do make it) and not include the original voice actors in the game.
4. Stern hires one of the GOT cast members to do custom call-outs (Peter Dinklage did do voice work for the video game Destiny so he might me up for a GOT pinball machine)
5. Some cool interactive toys. Example: a motorized magnet that picks up the ball and brings it to a mini playfield representing "The Wall". Steve Ritchie makes some crazy fast and awesome games. However, I think a GOT pin would benefit from less flow (still plays at a good pace) and some cool interactive toys.

Will GOT have a backbox LCD? Or is that conjecture?

#7090 4 years ago

GOT will be no match for the hobbit unless it's made by JJP.

#7091 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Will GOT have a backbox LCD? Or is that conjecture?

I was just wondering if it will be Stern's first game with a backbox LCD. I remember hearing that Stern recently hired a couple animation guys? Sounds like they are preparing to put an LCD in the backbox.

#7092 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It certainty could be. As much as I love GOT I just don't feel right now that it will have the same level of detail as The Hobbit does in terms of audio / video assets and rules..

Agree nearly 100%

I think a Stern GOT will be a huge success (unfortunately) even if they "mail it in" and don't do anything too evolutionary. The fanbase is too big and the timing is great to capitalize on that title.

However, to carve into the JJP clientele, I agree that 2 things will likely have to happen:
1. Stern will need to step-up (and out of the 90's) with better sound and LCD.
2. TH will hit more speed bumps on delivery.

I don't think Stern *CAN* equal what JJP has done on TH in terms of sound and video. It's pretty damn impressive. However, I don't think they would need to MATCH JJP, but theres rather a "close enough" effort that would sway folks.

Frankly, I want BOTH to be massive successes...
1. I want a great GOT pin, and
2. I want JJP so damn flush with cash, they can pump out Lawlor's game quickly and without prepay shenanigans.

#7093 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Late August to September for production. DAMN. I guess i won't get mine til 2016. HOLY SHIT....

Quoted from hillbilly:

I believe Jack was talking about building another 700-800 WOZ games through the expiration of the license in 2017.

So they are going to stop running WoZ and run some Hobbits, then switch back to WoZ again?

Some of you have been to their facility, can they run 2 titles on their production line at the same time?

#7094 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

So they are going to stop running WoZ and run some Hobbits, then switch back to WoZ again?
Some of you have been to their facility, can they run 2 titles on their production line at the same time?

Yes.

#7095 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

By Stern pumping out ~50 machines a day. Impatient buyers can pick them up cash & carry, not wait a year for Hobbits to trickle out and fulfill all pre-orders. Hell, by the time Hobbits are generally available, Stern will have released 2-3 more titles.

JJP NEEDS to get their manufacturing issues figured out.

#7096 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I'm not buying that there's a market for 700-800 more high priced woz machines (meaning higher than the pre-order price.)

#7097 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I'm not buying that there's a market for 700-800 more high priced woz machines (meaning higher than the pre-order price.)

I don't know......could be true but it just sounds like Hobbits are really low priority and are going to be made very slowly.

#7098 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was just wondering if it will be Stern's first game with a backbox LCD. I remember hearing that Stern recently hired a couple animation guys? Sounds like they are preparing to put an LCD in the backbox.

We don't know for sure. But from what I've heard, yes.

#7099 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

They currently are not set up to do both in my opinion. I believe that JJP will need to increase production. Being in manufacturing for over 25 years, I would say this means adding shifts of production to meet demand. I don't believe they can support production of 800 WOZ games, 1600 TH pre-orders, and JJP 3rd game without doing so. Additionally, it is evident that JJP is out of the pre-order business with the launch of their 3rd pin. To me this means they either have enough capital or equity to manufacture games without using the pre-order cashflow. A good sign for JJP and all who believe the competition will be great for all us pinheads.

#7100 4 years ago

Who thinks a Hobbit 2015 delivery will happen?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 88.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside