47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 201.
#651 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

said something very close to (in a joking tone) "that they don't know sh*t about building a pinball company", haha. That got a good laugh out of the crowd. Overall Jack and Butch gave a really nice presentation and it was great to have JJP at MPE again.

Hmmmm, based on historical data he isn't the most knowledgable in that area either (in a joking tone). Maybe he got laughs for the wrong reason lol.

I'm in for a Hobbit once/if tangible so I wish the dude well. Hopefully he makes some less expensive & simpler games too. Like STOOGES!

Sucks to hear about the voice work, glad you're updating us though (even if you are a relentless fanboy

#652 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Hopefully he makes some less expensive & simpler games too. Like STOOGES!

Stooges FTW!!!

article-1258313-08BBE17E000005DC-394_468x378.jpgarticle-1258313-08BBE17E000005DC-394_468x378.jpg

#653 10 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

So There are knitting circles of 80 y/old grannies with sandy vaginas, .

If you have ever made love to a female on a beach and did not have a good blanket or beach towel between her and the sand; all I can say is the post above brought back some painful memories.

#654 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I asked Jack today at MPE ...... One funny comment that Jack did make was in regards to some of the constant WOZ bashing by a select few on Pinside...he said something very close to (in a joking tone) "that they don't know sh*t about building a pinball company", haha. That got a good laugh out of the crowd. /blockquote>

He needs to learn to keep his word. His track record for buliding a pinball company that will deliver working, reliable, fully coded games is not good at all. How is the parts department running? Can anyone buy spare parts yet?

#655 10 years ago

Is that Rob Knapp lol

#656 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Is that Rob Knapp lol

I thought it was Madonna

#657 10 years ago

working, reliable, fully coded?

Working: Where's the issue here? Are you talking about WOZ games with the 5 volt LED board issues? Those are games are not down for the count, people can get replacement boards, games with 7 volt boards are out (far more vs 5 volt games) and thankfully a permanent fix is being developed for people with a light board issue. Many many owners with 7 volt games haven't had an issue, including my own game.

Reliable: How is WOZ the highest earner at many locations if it's not reliable? Does adjusting switches / coils make it unreliable? Every pin regardless of manufacture would be deemed unreliable then. I know of a WOZ near me that was one of the first shipped yet still out earns every other pin, including modern Sterns, right next to it...

Fully coded: Why even bring this up with 3.0 out? WOZ has a deeper ruleset than any modern Stern game. Over a dozen updates have been released in the past year. Keith and Ted coded on the most complex pinball platform yet and still managed to create a deep complete ruleset for the game. Also JJP didn't make owners wait 6+ months for a code update to complete the game.

Jack and JJP developed, built, shipped and have now supported one of the most complex pins the pinball industry has ever seen. Please tell me how he hasn't kept his word? Are we going to start talking about how the game was going to ship earlier, about how the game would never ship with incomplete code? It's not how you start but how you finish that matters and missed shipping dates and 1 year old complete code goals no longer matter with WOZECLE's shipping, the game out earning other pins on location, seeing 3 WOZ's with 5 people deep all Saturday afternoon waiting to play it at MPE, and 3.0 out which makes the game have one of the deepest rulesets in pinball.

#658 10 years ago

Zzzzzz

Sorry, I stopped listening.

Maybe we should talk about Hobbit again instead.

#659 10 years ago

I'll also add that Jack himself promised (at the MPE in 2012) a WoZ would be placed at a Jersey shore arcade by Memorial Day, that year. I delayed a trip to the area to see the pin. Alas, more words unkept.

Panzerfreak, I think I figured it out, JJP accidentally sent an Operator's pin to Abel for you which is why yours has worked flawlessly. Good for you!

#660 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Working:
a permanent fix is being developed....

Hmmmm, then I think you need to wait to crow about it working reliably until it moves from "being worked on" to "being delivered" lol...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reliable: Also JJP didn't make owners wait 6+ months for a code update to complete the game.

Good point..... but...
Stern could have delivered Metallica with complete code if they would have shipped it 3 years after payment as well

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack and JJP developed, built, shipped and have now supported one of the most complex pins the pinball industry has ever seen, and, and (breathlessly) and...

You're slipping. Please review the terms of your marketing agreement with JJP- you forgot to use the word "wide-body" in your post.... SHAME!

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

seeing 3 WOZ's with 5 people deep all Saturday afternoon waiting to play it at MPE....

Those were all people that paid for their machines 3 years ago- they were just happy to see one and play it a few times

I wont believe a word jack "says" about TH. For every grandiose claim he's made in the past, there's an equally inaccurate untruth that could be shown as an example.... Some will ignore those (the prepayers/patient-waiters mostly) but for many Seeing will be Believing.

Ex:
The videos were GREAT updates.
Him talking about how awesome playing the whitewood is- is not so great.

The only Hobbit update Im looknig forward to is:

'In Stock, ready for shipment"

#661 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So when the lights are doing their full on fruitloop rainbow mode, just dancing through the whole spectrum over and over, they kind of "shimmer", it's like you're looking through high heat, they kind of wiggle up and down. The whole playfield almost seems to be undulating, it's a weird optical illusion.
I wondered if it was the invisiglass, if it is it's not just from one little angle, you can see it easily moving around and from normal playing angles. And it only happens when they do the full RGB spectrum changes, you can't see it during any other lighting modes.
I saw it the other night on Robert Winter's LE too, so it's definitely not just one machine (and the other people in the room see it too, not just me). They were both LEs with invisiglass though.
Anyways, I didn't really care for the effect, it was kinda of unpleasant. Not a big deal, just sort of off putting, and I'd prefer to not have it. Star Trek does nothing of the sort, but I've never seen it with invisiglass to be fair.

It's an intentional visual effect. Very subtle, but it does have the effect of making the playfield look like you're describing.

#662 10 years ago

The 3600 sq. ft. Midwest Campus (sign says office) where The Hobbit development is taking place these days.

IMAG2462.jpgIMAG2462.jpg
IMAG2461.jpgIMAG2461.jpg

#663 10 years ago

Lowepg, that was funny

Are there really people out there that expect to get TH by the end of this year? Serious question..

The funny thing is, I was late to order WOZ, in the end I will have waited 2-3 years I believe (which is a crazy amount of time to wait). I have a feeling it's possible I will see TH orders filled and shipped before I see my WOZ. Which again is crazy considering TH was announced one month before I ordered WOZ. As stated by many over and over, never again for me...

Which sucks because preorder prices were at my spending limit, I wouldn't spend post launch prices. Not that I can't, I just won't. I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere at which JJP will lose buyers due to price. Though there is always the HUO market.

#664 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reliable: How is WOZ the highest earner at many locations if it's not reliable? Does adjusting switches / coils make it unreliable? Every pin regardless of manufacture would be deemed unreliable then. I know of a WOZ near me that was one of the first shipped yet still out earns every other pin, including modern Sterns, right next to it...

Sometimes I have to wonder if you really believe half the stuff you write about regarding WOZ.

I'm sure that you are a member at the WOZ forum, where there is plenty of talk regarding all the problems with WOZ, particularly with regard to the LED issues.

#665 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Working: Where's the issue here? Are you talking about WOZ games with the 5 volt LED board issues? Those are games are not down for the count, people can get replacement boards, games with 7 volt boards are out (far more vs 5 volt games) and thankfully a permanent fix is being developed for people with a light board issue. Many many owners with 7 volt games haven't had an issue, including my own game.
Fully coded: Why even bring this up with 3.0 out? WOZ has a deeper ruleset than any modern Stern game. Over a dozen updates have been released in the past year. Keith and Ted coded on the most complex pinball platform yet and still managed to create a deep complete ruleset for the game. Also JJP didn't make owners wait 6+ months for a code update to complete the game.
Jack and JJP developed, built, shipped and have now supported one of the most complex pins the pinball industry has ever seen. Please tell me how he hasn't kept his word? Are we going to start talking about how the game was going to ship earlier, about how the game would never ship with incomplete code? It's not how you start but how you finish that matters and missed shipping dates and 1 year old complete code goals no longer matter with WOZECLE's shipping, the game out earning other pins on location, seeing 3 WOZ's with 5 people deep all Saturday afternoon waiting to play it at MPE, and 3.0 out which makes the game have one of the deepest rulesets in pinball.

Do you have this on a macro or do you really re-type this 10 times a week?

#666 10 years ago

How many people are we talking about with this issue? 2%....5%....20% of games having issues? What is it?

#667 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From what I heard it sounds like playfield art cannot be released until the second movie is out on Blu Ray / DVD since the playfield uses assets from the first and second films. Jack did say that the cabinet and playfield use assets from the 1st and 2nd films while the third movie will be incorporated on screen as otherwise the game wouldn't ship on time

I do not understand this statement as I always thought that JJP has access to all assets of all three movies.

#668 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I do not understand this statement as I always thought that JJP has access to all assets of all three movies.

While Jack didn't confirm it my guess is that JJP does have assets to the 3rd movie yet as otherwise it would be incorporated into the side art and playfield artwork. Based off what Jack said yesterday it sounds like the machine would have to be delayed if assets from the third movie were to be used in playfield and cabinet artwork and that to release the game on on time the 3rd movie will be incorporated in the rules / on screen.

#669 10 years ago

duplicate post

#670 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'll also add that Jack himself promised (at the MPE in 2012) a WoZ would be placed at a Jersey shore arcade by Memorial Day, that year. I delayed a trip to the area to see the pin. Alas, more words unkept.
Panzerfreak, I think I figured it out, JJP accidentally sent an Operator's pin to Abel for you which is why yours has worked flawlessly. Good for you!

My game came directly from JJP. I do know other owners that received their game from Abel and haven't had any major issues. I did preorder my Hobbit from Abel.

#671 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Presumably you want to actually see the game you're going to buy before it ships right? Tough to do if the playfield and cabinet contains NDA'd assets.

#672 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Presumably you want to actually see the game you're going to buy before it ships right? Tough to do if the playfield and cabinet contains NDA'd assets.

People have been buying pins sight unseen for awhile. Why stop now?

#673 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

While Jack didn't confirm it my guess is that JJP does have assets to the 3rd movie yet as otherwise it would be incorporated into the side art and playfield artwork. Based off what Jack said yesterday it sounds like the machine would have to be delayed if assets from the third movie were to be used in playfield and cabinet artwork and that to release the game on on time the 3rd movie will be incorporated in the rules / on screen.

1238229_597587533639095_819701180_n.jpg1238229_597587533639095_819701180_n.jpg
#674 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I asked Jack today at MPE if JJP is thinking of hiring someone from the films to do voice work for The Hobbit. It sounds like a no He mentioned that Martin Freeman wanted $100k for 10 minutes of voice work and that custom voice work from film actors has gone up significantly since the days of games like LOTR. There's still hope I guess that they get someone else from the films that would be a bit cheaper. Jack did say that they have Two Steps From Hell to do the music for the game which alone I can imagine is not cheap consideromg that major film studios have hired them to do music for big budget films.

Wow, I really hope that's not true about the amount of money Martin Freeman wanted for voice work. My wife and I really love him in Sherlock and of course The Hobbit. That would be disappointing to know he demanded that much money.

#675 10 years ago

The LEGO Group has had inside peeks at the third Hobbit movie for some years and brought spoilers to market a while ago. It seems like a non-issue.

#676 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I asked Jack today at MPE if JJP is thinking of hiring someone from the films to do voice work for The Hobbit. It sounds like a no He mentioned that Martin Freeman wanted $100k for 10 minutes of voice work and that custom voice work from film actors has gone up significantly since the days of games like LOTR.

Dang 100k I am very glad Karl Urban apparently wasn't so greedy for his voice work in ST.

#677 10 years ago

most on the topic are...

#678 10 years ago

:Jack and JJP developed, built, shipped and have now supported one of the most complex pins the pinball industry has ever seen. Please tell me how he hasn't kept his word?:

Um....it's about a quarter past 90 days-ish.

You cannot be serious.

#679 10 years ago

100,000 is $100 each on 1000 machines. Not that expensive.

#680 10 years ago
Quoted from riverinapinball:

$66 each on the 1,500 LE's add in the standards and it is way less than $50 per game. That seems like a well invested $50 dollars per game to have custom speech.

#681 10 years ago

Next Tuesday is the release of the "Desolation of Smaug" DVD/Blu-Ray... Is there a nice update to be expected next by then?

#682 10 years ago

I'm not saying I want to pay more but if given the option I would easily pay an extra $66 dollars for my Hobbit to get custom call outs

#683 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So when the lights are doing their full on fruitloop rainbow mode, just dancing through the whole spectrum over and over, they kind of "shimmer", it's like you're looking through high heat, they kind of wiggle up and down. The whole playfield almost seems to be undulating, it's a weird optical illusion.
I wondered if it was the invisiglass, if it is it's not just from one little angle, you can see it easily moving around and from normal playing angles. And it only happens when they do the full RGB spectrum changes, you can't see it during any other lighting modes.
I saw it the other night on Robert Winter's LE too, so it's definitely not just one machine (and the other people in the room see it too, not just me). They were both LEs with invisiglass though.
Anyways, I didn't really care for the effect, it was kinda of unpleasant. Not a big deal, just sort of off putting, and I'd prefer to not have it. Star Trek does nothing of the sort, but I've never seen it with invisiglass to be fair.

I kinda like this effect, but it doesn't appear during regular gameplay except for "lights on" xtal ball mode. Pretty trippy.

My guess is that it is caused by the continuous color cycling during the attract and lights on modes. Each full-spectrum color-changing LED actually has 3 different colored LEDs, and the color is changed by altering the intensity of all 3 LEDs. So when changing colors, the offset of the 3 LEDs causes the apparent source of light to shift a bit between the 3 LEDs. Not sure if that's what causes it, but it was my original thought and I haven't come up with any other explanation.

#684 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Dang 100k I am very glad Karl Urban apparently wasn't so greedy for his voice work in ST.

What I want to know is: how much would Ian McKellen want? Personally, I'd much rather have callouts from Gandalf than from Bilbo anyways.

#685 10 years ago

No imitations PLEASE, if nothing, use out-take audio, no fakes!

#686 10 years ago

Arer there any physics majors here who can help with the whole light & invisiglass thing?

#687 10 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

What I want to know is: how much would Ian McKellen want? Personally, I'd much rather have callouts from Gandalf than from Bilbo anyways.

Good call!

#688 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My game came directly from JJP. I do know other owners that received their game from Abel and haven't had any major issues. I did preorder my Hobbit from Abel.

I stand corrected; JJP (I didn't know they sell direct, I thought as a minimum it would have to be sold to an individual through Jack Guarnieri Service Company dba:Pinballsales.com) accidentally sent an Operator's pin to you which is why it has worked flawlessly. Good for you!

#689 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

:Jack and JJP developed, built, shipped and have now supported one of the most complex pins the pinball industry has ever seen. Please tell me how he hasn't kept his word?:
Um....it's about a quarter past 90 days-ish.
You cannot be serious.

last payment $1000 july 15th as shipping begins

#690 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You're welcome! I also recall Jack mentioning something about the player controlling divertors on top of the playfield and underneath the game. My guess is that players will be able to control the main ramp divertor.

That's the first that I've heard of this

#691 10 years ago

Maybe they would rather see the $100 000 go into the BOM for the game. Perhaps they could get that guy that Clay did the TOPcast interview with if he is still around, I think his name was Fred Young. He did amazing impersonations. Apparently it was often difficult to tell the difference between his callouts and those from the real actor. He has been at Expo a few times.

#692 10 years ago

I would rather they use that money for something in the game, stick to audio and voice from the film. I'm an adult and do not need to hear reference to the fact that I'm playing pinball, nice shot or you lost you're ball, who cares. Metallica as an example, so great yet ruined by the cheesy band call out's during gameplay, Xmen I love the game but cannot take the brutal voice work, just use cool clips from the films and be done with it. Just my opinion.

#693 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I would rather they use that money for something in the game, stick to audio and voice from the film. I'm an adult and do not need to hear reference to the fact that I'm playing pinball, nice shot or you lost you're ball, who cares. Metallica as an example, so great yet ruined by the cheesy band call out's during gameplay, Xmen I love the game but cannot take the brutal voice work, just use cool clips from the films and be done with it. Just my opinion.

Often it's difficult to separate the voice and music and sfx tracks to get a clean take; sometimes voice actors speak over each others lines. And sometimes the way the line is said (the cadence of the speech) doesn't really match well with the action. It isn't always so easy.

#694 10 years ago

Karl Urban gave Stern 1.5 hours of material for Star Trek, and all it cost Gary was an LE!

#695 10 years ago

If 3000 TH's are made via a combination of LE's & Standards then it's just $33 per game

The LE is apx $8,500.00 to your door & over $9,000.00 if you live in NJ/IL. Not sure what the standard model will cost. It should have legit sound. That's part of STTNG's magic. Best F'n callouts ever!

#696 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do you have this on a macro or do you really re-type this 10 times a week?

Do you have a macro for posting something negative in every WOZ thread or down voting a positive WOZ / JJP comment?

#697 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm an adult and do not need to hear reference to the fact that I'm playing pinball, nice shot or you lost you're ball, who cares.

I care. This is what I'm hoping Karl Urban brings to Star Trek, frankly using just movie samples is weak if you ask me.

#698 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I care. This is what I'm hoping Karl Urban brings to Star Trek, frankly using just movie samples is weak if you ask me.

I hear ya. It's nice to have a blend of audio call outs using lines from the movie and custom call outs from the actual movie that the pin is based off of. I don't think STTNG or LOTR would be as highly regarded as they are today without the custom call outs from actors in the show / films.

#699 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya. It's nice to have a blend of audio call outs using lines from the movie and custom call outs from the actual movie that the pin is based off of. I don't think STTNG or LOTR would be as highly regarded as they are today without the custom call outs from actors in the show / films.

Addams Family, too.

#700 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, I do not want to see anything more. Seen enough for now

I always thought that JJP has access to all assets and can use them because TH is supposed to start shipping as the third movie comes out. I do understand that they cannot reveal anything from the third movie, but is makes no sense it has impact on the planned shipping date.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.