Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 201.
#6501 4 years ago

The 'Bag End' Insert seems not to be level with the rest of the playfield.

Anybody know what the purpose of this is, or are we looking at an 'unfinished' area?

416709.jpg

#6502 4 years ago

I have been pondering back and forth in my mind for a long time now, after seeing the LE model in the recent show videos.

Finally decided to revert back to LE from SE. I just have this feeling that the silver look will suit the game better.

I used to think that the SE cabinet decals was enough for me to go down that route but I have kinda warmed up a bit to the LE decals, over time.

They are far from perfect but they do not bother me like they first did and they present more variation. Funny how having all the extra time makes you change perspective

I now think that the overall feel will just be to dark with not enough variation, and also a bit dragon overkill, perhaps?

#6503 4 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I have been pondering back and forth in my mind for a long time now, after seeing the LE model in the recent show videos.
Finally decided to revert back to LE from SE. I just have this feeling that the silver look will suit the game better.
I used to think that the SE cabinet decals was enough for me to go down that route but I have kinda warmed up a bit to the LE decals, over time.
They are far from perfect but they do not bother me like they first did and they present more variation. Funny how having all the extra time makes you change perspective
I now think that the overall feel will just be to dark with not enough variation, and also a bit dragon overkill, perhaps?

You took the words right out of my brain. I also switched from SE to LE, the overall tone and colours are perfect for the theme. I love the colours of the habitrails, can't wait to see them in person.

The only thing I might do if I have the spare cash is order a gold Smaug toy as I honestly preferred that.

#6504 4 years ago
Quoted from karl:

definately.... The Hobbit is more than just smaug. LE every day of the week for me...

#6505 4 years ago

Ahh...finally people are starting to come over to the dark side!!!

I had a lot of people tell me I'm crazy when I didn't change my order over to the SE. "You can NEVER have too much Smaug!" they said.

Um...yes you can. And that mustardy gold still makes me want to puke.

#6506 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ahh...finally people are starting to come over to the dark side!!!
I had a lot of people tell me I'm crazy when I didn't change my order over to the SE. "You can NEVER have too much Smaug!" they said.
Um...yes you can. And that mustardy gold still makes me want to puke.

beelzeboob I always saw the method in your madness, it must be those hypnotic canine eyes of yours...

#6507 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Hmm I never noticed the backboard decal. Is that new?
I like it!

Yes. It is new. I saw that but I thought it was some sort of reflection off the glass. Glad they did it.

Not sure why they put a fire decal in the pop bumper area though...

#6508 4 years ago

I'm an LE believer too. Chose LE over SE. Way too much Smaug for me. Looks great on the playfield however. Looking forward to having that beauty in my home.

#6509 4 years ago

When I jumped on the bandwagon a few months ago I had a choice. I selected the LE and never wavered. I liked the overall compatibility with the metal trim and seeing all the characters. The SE was mostly about one character from the movies. BUTT I respect anyone who likes the SE artwork. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

#6510 4 years ago

I am going to stay with the SE version - guess I will be the only one with it
Perhaps I will just have the alt color versions of the pins as I prefer the red Oz over the green.

I am spending so much on it - perhaps I can just tell the wife that the thing is made of real gold

#6511 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps I will just have the alt color versions of the pins as I prefer the red Oz over the green.
I am spending so much on it - perhaps I can just tell the wife that the thing is made of real gold

I probably prefer the LE overall with more scenes ... I just can't stand looking at nutsack king and remembering that stupid part of the first movie (IMHO) and my wife does not want to see the white orc. So ... the decision is made for me I guess.

#6512 4 years ago

Here's what I see when I look at the SE:

DragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonHobbitDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragon

(Can you spot the Hobbit???)

#6513 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I'm with u. I'm staying with the SE.

#6514 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

DragonHobbitDragon

There's Waldo!

#6515 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

DragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonHobbitDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragon

I personally wish it had more Dragon!!! SE all the way! My bet is that the gold looks way better in person - similar to the red on the 75th WOZ.

#6516 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope, I only see the most interesting character in the series.

However, I think both versions look pretty good.

#6517 4 years ago

SE for me as well

#6518 4 years ago

The great part is, there are choices. Those that like either one can get what they like.

#6519 4 years ago

Have both on order!!!!

(SE for me, LE for dear family friends who went above and beyond for my family during a time of crisis)

#6520 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know, for movies titled The Hobbit, there wasn't really a lot of Hobbit in them. Frodo and the other hobbits had more interesting parts in the Lord of the Rings movies, and that didn't even have Hobbit in the title.

#6521 4 years ago

DP

#6522 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

You know, for movies titled The Hobbit, there wasn't really a lot of Hobbit in them. Frodo and the other hobbits had more interesting parts in the Lord of the Rings movies, and that didn't even have Hobbit in the title.

Good point. But on the flip side, there wasn't a shitload of dragon, either. They probably should have called the movie The Dwarves.

#6523 4 years ago

I think they added new additional clear Plastics on the left and the right side.

Clear Plastics.JPG
#6524 4 years ago

Couple of things:

1. The story is being told from the hobbits point of view (and by him)
2. Tolkien created hobbits (and apparently was rather proud of that)
3. He didn't create dwarves or elves (but did change the spelling to use v instead of f for dwarfs)
4. The dragon was really big in the book (but didn't have a lot of page time for sure)
5. Doesn't matter

#6525 4 years ago

And the right barrel bumper is rotated.
Perhaps to better fit with the LCD above...?

Bumper.JPG
#6526 4 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I actually think having seen it at the show that the LE decals are darker than the SE decals, to the point I thought they made the game look dark. The SE have a great big fireball to make the overall color pallet of the decal brighter, versus the wood and stone motif of the LE, which ends up overall darker IMO.

#6527 4 years ago

I was in for the SE from the first opportunity I had to switch. I like the big outrageous dragon. I have never connected the words "restraint" and "pinball" in my mind.

#6528 4 years ago

SE for me as well!

#6529 4 years ago

What a transformation of this version than the one shown at Expo. Really brings in the whole color pallet and makes the game seem more of an adventure. Fwiw...going SE.

#6530 4 years ago

For me I would really like to be able to see the LE and SE side by side in person to make the final decision. But I don't think I will have that opportunity. If they do appear side by side, and I can't make it, someone take lots of pics and video

#6531 4 years ago

SE for me. I don't like looking at any nutsack other than my own.

#6532 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Do you use a hand-mirror for that?!?

#6533 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I don't even like looking at my own!

#6534 4 years ago

SE for me.

#6535 4 years ago

SE for me.
I also plan on getting a dedicated subwoofer for this pin (I don't have one for any other pin, but upgraded the ACDC in-cabinet sub), tuned to maximize the rumble of Smaug's voice.

Basically, like cowbell, the more Smaug, the better!

#6536 4 years ago

SE here also. I had a tough time sticking with it because I like that the LE has more characters on it, but oh well. Decisions, decisions!

#6537 4 years ago

I'm hoping to have a choice later, had to bail on my pre-order for financial changes since day 1 order 11/2012, I am WoZ RR #7. Jack's post google.group owners post from today sounds very positive, feedback heard, but improvements cost 6 months.
Per Jack....
"We did not do a good job with The Hobbit before Expo. We believed we could do better and Expo was the proof that we needed to go back and make the game better. Unfortunately that caused issues with design elements of the game and of course it caused delay and redesign. We underestimated the time we needed to make the changes.

We know what we did after Expo made the game a lot better. You told us that. That “little” series of changes over a few weeks caused at least six months delay - that is all types of drawings, not only art but mechanical design drawings, wiring, parts that had to change, retooling, redesign after testing, first article parts, approvals, on and on….time and money spent to make the game better. We are selling more Hobbits every week as more people get to see and play it now. As they ship we will sell many more."

#6538 4 years ago

Isn't it nice to have a "private " forum? Not sure why quotes have to be instantly posted over here as well......

#6539 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Isn't it nice to have a "private " forum? Not sure why quotes have to be instantly posted over here as well......

We now have the "Quote Police".

#6540 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

A "private" "INTERNET" forum? lol.... An Oxymoron if I ever heard one!

Yes, it IS too bad Jack cant keep the issues with the delay more secret and away from prying eyes.... that strategy has been SOOO beneficial with other startup pinball manufacturers lately...

#6541 4 years ago

Was hardly instantly, I had his words emailed to me this morning, that post is already old news.

It's silly. Jack playing the Pinside is the enemy card is so ridiculous and counterproductive.

#6542 4 years ago

Agreed. And Keith ... ........ if you are reading this, in regards to TH .....>

#1 Can you allow a kill video option? So If player hits either flipper twice during a video playback or attract mode, video would terminate, points would be awarded and everything immediately reverts back into game state. The key thing here being - no lag time to return to ball in play.

#2 - Being a nostalgic, I miss not having a buy-in button on any game since .... 1996? Consider this a request for the buy-in option functionality to be built into the existing start button. So if you are feeding it quarters, another is ball added. Also, keep track of buy-in scores.

This thread may now return to its regular scheduled programming.

#6544 4 years ago

I do have an LE vs SE question. The center left/right ramps contraption. It appears to be the same color as the coating on the LE model. Does the SE version use the same ramp color as the LE or will it be in a gold color like the SE powder coating?

Anyone from JJP that can chime in?, or from people that have seen the SE up close in person / or a good high def shot of the ramp on the SE and LE?

#6545 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

#1 Can you allow a kill video option? So If player hits either flipper twice during a video playback or attract mode, video would terminate, points would be awarded and everything immediately reverts back into game state. The key thing here being - no lag time to return to ball in play.

? We already do this, for everything. I can't think of an animation that's NOT abortable, except perhaps the Witch melting (and partially that's for technical reasons). You have to hit both flippers together, though, not one twice (that's generally how "blowoff" has worked for years).

In attract mode you can "move" the pages left and right. So ultimately I'm not really sure what the complaint is?

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

#2 - Being a nostalgic, I miss not having a buy-in button on any game since .... 1996? Consider this a request for the buy-in option functionality to be built into the existing start button.

Sorry, but this won't happen.

#6546 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Sorry, but this won't happen.

I wish I could turn off the damn buy-in high scores on my Shadow.

#6547 4 years ago

I like Ferrari's... red and yellow. I prefer the red ones.

I'm getting THSE

#6548 4 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I like Ferrari's... red and yellow. I prefer the red ones.
I'm getting THSE

But that's the yellow one!

#6549 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

And the right barrel bumper is rotated.
Perhaps to better fit with the LCD above...?

Bumper.JPG

Good catch! Hopefully it's so he can put a dwarf back inside the barrel (as it should be)

#6550 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Good catch! Hopefully it's so he can put a dwarf back inside the barrel (as it should be)

Agree - the feet hanging out was a very nice touch

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Flagstaff, AZ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside