Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 201.
#601 5 years ago

I love JJP, and am really looking forward to the Hobbit. I merely think the light show in Star Trek LE/Premium is superior to WOZ. Certainly wasn't going down the JJP/Stern battle road. It's great for Pinball to have both companies. I hope to have a Hobbit next to my Star Trek.

These are good times to be a pinhead.

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Given the electrical problems lets go with Jaguar.

HA! That's exactly right. Like they always say about Jaguar. You need to own 2 so you can drive one while the other is in the shop. Nice reference!

Lets not hope for a giant head in the game like in Godzilla. Thing takes up way to much real estate on the playfield. that would be awful.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#604 5 years ago

that's cuz coke sucks. Dr.Pepper is the way to go if you insist on drinking soda.

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

image-486.jpg

#606 5 years ago

I love pinball.
I love Jersey Jack as a pinball company for a number of reasons.
I love Stern as a pinball company for a number of reasons.

The passion I have for both of these companies is NOT mutually exclusive. I think the majority of people feel this way, perhaps I am in the minority though, but I hope that people are open minded enough to see that both companies bring positives to our hobby, and the loss of any of these or other boutique companies would be a loss to our great Hobby.

#607 5 years ago

Great points. I feel the exact same way and enjoy many of the games that Stern and JJP are putting out.

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

When I look at that picture, after filtering it a bit, I could see Smaugs head in the upper left corner, with his body in the upper right covering the pops, and tail running down the right side of the machine.

Seems like a lot of space taken up, but who the hell knows...

I agree that's a lot of space taken up but it's an imaginative view of how Smaug could look.

Thanks for sharing

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

I love pinball.
The passion I have for both of these companies is NOT mutually exclusive. I think the majority of people feel this way, perhaps I am in the minority though, but I hope that people are open minded enough to see that both companies bring positives to our hobby, and the loss of any of these or other boutique companies would be a loss to our great Hobby.

I agree, I like all the folks making pins. Keep it up!

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

Some of you Nancy's couldn't enjoy a blowjob and cold Coke if your life depended on it. You really don't realize how good you have it right now. There are knitting circles of 80 y/old grannies with sandy vaginas, and support groups for hemmorhoidal irritable bowel syndrome sufferers who whine far less than some of you.
It's egregious really.

I don't drink my coke sir

It does make me poop though

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

I love pinball.

I love zaccaria for number of reasons.

I find it ironic, I got a thumbs down for a dr.pepper reference from someone named peppers.

#612 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I love zaccaria for number of reasons.
I find it ironic, I got a thumbs down for a dr.pepper reference from someone named peppers.

Not surprising.

Shasta is the drink of ALL true pinball wizards.

Thought everyone knew that....

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Well that must be why Stern put out ten games in there first three years and JJP is still on game one.

Yup. They just kept the assembly lines and design process rolling. I'd be curious to know how long it took for Data East (the real startup) to get their first games out the door, after they decided to set up shop. Although it's well-known that they were unafraid to "borrow" technology from other pinball companies. JJP is still improving things with the Hobbit and learning the ropes. And really pushing the envelope.

#614 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yup. They just kept the assembly lines and design process rolling. I'd be curious to know how long it took for Data East (the real startup) to get their first games out the door, after they decided to set up shop. Although it's well-known that they were unafraid to "borrow" technology from other pinball companies. JJP is still improving things with the Hobbit and learning the ropes. And really pushing the envelope.

Data East wasn't as 'pure' a startup as all that, though. As I understand it, Old Stern bought Chicago Coin's assets at bankruptcy, and when Old Stern folded after the video crash in the 80s Gary Stern founded Pinstar to keep his hand in. Dates appear to be that DE Pinball was founded in '86 and released their first game, Laser War, in May '87.

I don't know how many physical and human assets came to DE from earlier pinball companies: conflicting reports exist, but most indicate that DE bought Old Stern's factory and assets at bankruptcy, which certainly gives them a leg up, along with Joe Kamikow and Gary Stern's preexisting knowledge base.

#615 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Given the trouble getting games out the door, lets go with Atari Jaguar.

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

Data East wasn't as 'pure' a startup as all that, though. As I understand it, Old Stern bought Chicago Coin's assets at bankruptcy, and when Old Stern folded after the video crash in the 80s Gary Stern founded Pinstar to keep his hand in. Dates appear to be that DE Pinball was founded in '86 and released their first game, Laser War, in May '87.
I don't know how many physical and human assets came to DE from earlier pinball companies: conflicting reports exist, but most indicate that DE bought Old Stern's factory and assets at bankruptcy, which certainly gives them a leg up, along with Joe Kamikow and Gary Stern's preexisting knowledge base.

That's what I've heard too, but others on here have angrily denied that there is any connection between old Stern and Data East.

Would make sense to me that Data East would have got SOMETHING from bankruptcy of old Stern.

This whole timeline is ripe for a book or documentary.

#617 5 years ago

but where are all the ET carts?

LOL j/k

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from JSmith:

but where are all the ET carts?
LOL j/k

There is a documentary being filmed about that. Apparently they have permission to dig up the landfill and look for evidence. Can't wait to see that!!!

#619 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

There is a documentary being filmed about that. Apparently they have permission to dig up the landfill and look for evidence. Can't wait to see that!!!

What's kind of sad is... I kind of enjoyed that game at the time...

Collect the reeses pieces... made me think of candy... which made me happy

et.png

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/07/seeking-et-atari-2600-landfill-xbox

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

It was hardly the worst game for the 2600......I just think expectations were too high....and the pits too sensitive....apparently homebrew hackers have adjusted the pit's sensitivity by one pixel, and the game is much less frustrating.

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/07/seeking-et-atari-2600-landfill-xbox

et.png 486 KB

You mean this?

ET2600-JD.png
#622 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Given the trouble getting games out the door, lets go with Atari Jaguar.

Let the JJP jabs continue!

#623 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Let the JJP jabs continue!

Have no fear Captain JJP Defender is here!

#624 5 years ago

On the last Spooky podcast the interview with Matt, he said there will be at least 13 interactive things on the Hobbit pin. Even though the idea of Smaug being huge sounds awesome I think it just would not leave enough room for all the other toys to comfortably fit on the Playfield.

#626 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You mean this?

ET2600-JD.png 793 B

There's actually a set of fixes to the E.T. 2600 video game that fixes most of its biggest problems:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2032869/how-hacking-fixed-the-worst-video-game-of-all-time.html

#627 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Have No Fear Captain JJP Defender is here!

Haha! Yup, your right...I'm here to defend JJP from the trolls! It's a pretty easy job thankfully, really short hours.

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

just skipped 200 posts hoping for news

Jack is speaking at the Michigan Pinball Expo today so maybe we will hear something new regarding The Hobbit. If he starts taking questions I'm going to try and ask if JJP plans on hiring one of the actors from the films for custom voice work.

#630 5 years ago

Ask him about the topper too! Smaug for the win !!!

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Have No Fear Captain JJP Defender is here!

I dunno, it might be an impostor. There wasn't a paragraph about the 100's of toys and how gorgeous it is and how he blows a yellow brick load every time he thinks about it.

#632 5 years ago

I had a really nice time playing nimblepin's WOZ last night, the 3.0 code is great, very cool game. I still don't think I want one, but it's definitely fun and different, and I would like to play it some more.

One complaint though, I found the 'heat wave' effect of the color changing inserts somewhat off putting, not sure why they made it do that. I hope Hobbit doesn't have the same issue. Star Trek certainly doesn't, so it's not a technical limitation of using those lights in inserts or anything. I'm guessing they did it on purpose?

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had a really nice time playing nimblepin's WOZ last night, the 3.0 code is great, very cool game. I still don't think I want one, but it's definitely fun and different, and I would like to play it some more.
One complaint though, I found the 'heat wave' effect of the color changing inserts somewhat off putting, not sure why they made it do that. I hope Hobbit doesn't have the same issue. Star Trek certainly doesn't, so it's not a technical limitation of using those lights in inserts or anything. I'm guessing they did it on purpose?

Can you try to explain the effect? Heat wave isn't registering.

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is it sort of a heat shimmer look that you see? I have noticed that with the invisiglass if the angle is right.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Can you try to explain the effect? Heat wave isn't registering.

So when the lights are doing their full on fruitloop rainbow mode, just dancing through the whole spectrum over and over, they kind of "shimmer", it's like you're looking through high heat, they kind of wiggle up and down. The whole playfield almost seems to be undulating, it's a weird optical illusion.

I wondered if it was the invisiglass, if it is it's not just from one little angle, you can see it easily moving around and from normal playing angles. And it only happens when they do the full RGB spectrum changes, you can't see it during any other lighting modes.

I saw it the other night on Robert Winter's LE too, so it's definitely not just one machine (and the other people in the room see it too, not just me). They were both LEs with invisiglass though.

Anyways, I didn't really care for the effect, it was kinda of unpleasant. Not a big deal, just sort of off putting, and I'd prefer to not have it. Star Trek does nothing of the sort, but I've never seen it with invisiglass to be fair.

#636 5 years ago

I have Invisiglass on my STLE and it definitely doesn't do what you are referring to.

#637 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have Invisiglass on my STLE and it definitely doesn't do what you are referring to.

Yeah, I kind of didn't think it was the glass, you'd think if it was capable of that kind of distortion you'd see all kind of other stuff acting weird. I think it's just how JJP did the RGB LEDs, maybe the SMDs are staggered a little or something so they shift as the colors change. I dunno if it's on purpose or a side effect of something else. Either way I hope it's not on Hobbit.

Also, to be clear, it's not a big deal, you mostly only notice it during attract mode. But when the witch flips all the lights on it is kind of annoying.

#638 5 years ago

Just checked and it is not the invisiglass, I had always assumed it was. It happens in attract mode when the lights do their rainbow shifting thing. I suspect less colour shifting on Hobbit given the theme but I can see why they did it on WOZ.

#639 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyways, I didn't really care for the effect, it was kinda of unpleasant. Not a big deal, just sort of off putting, and I'd prefer to not have it. Star Trek does nothing of the sort, but I've never seen it with invisiglass to be fair.

Sometimes i wonder wtf you guys are complaining about! Seriously…..throw down a six pack, loosen up and it will all look the same

Tell the MIA Nimble we said hello!

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Just checked and it is not the invisiglass, I had always assumed it was. It happens in attract mode when the lights do their rainbow shifting thing. I suspect less colour shifting on Hobbit given the theme but I can see why they did it on WOZ.

Like I said, not a huge deal, it wouldn't stop me from buying a WOZ if I wanted one. I just don't really care for the effect. Thanks for checking though.

And yes, I doubt Hobbit is gonna have crazy rainbow cycle effects, not exactly in keeping with the theme. Star Trek shifts through the spectrum, but more slowly from one color to the next, not the same frantic rainbow look.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously…..throw down a six pack, loosen up and it will all look the same

Actually I suspect if I stared at it too long while drunk it would make me a little woozy.

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Like I said, not a huge deal, it wouldn't stop me from buying a WOZ if I wanted one. I just don't really care for the effect. Thanks for checking though.
And yes, I doubt Hobbit it gonna have crazy rainbow cycle effects, not exactly in keeping with the theme. Star Trek shifts through the spectrum, but more slowly from one color to the next, not the same frantic rainbow look.

Nope not a big deal! When I got it I noticed it straight away and always assumed it was the invisiglass but I had sort of forgotten about it. Saw the posts and got curious though helps that I am sitting next to it!

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sometimes i wonder wtf you guys are complaining about! Seriously…..throw down a six pack, loosen up and it will all look the same
Tell the MIA Nimble we said hello!

Tex your the one who needs to loosen up that's as close to a Hobbit update as I have seen in some time.

#644 5 years ago

great question !!
keep us posted

I asked Jack today at MPE if JJP is thinking of hiring someone from the films to do voice work for The Hobbit. It sounds like a no He mentioned that Martin Freeman wanted $100k for 10 minutes of voice work and that custom voice work from film actors has gone up significantly since the days of games like LOTR. There's still hope I guess that they get someone else from the films that would be a bit cheaper. Jack did say that they have Two Steps From Hell to do the music for the game which alone I can imagine is not cheap consideromg that major film studios have hired them to do music for big budget films.

As far as what else Jack spoke about at MPE it was some of the same things from TPF. Jack and Butch showed the same Hobbit clip they showed at TPF. Jack did say that they will likely be showing playfield artwork for TH soon. From what I heard it sounds like playfield art cannot be released until the second movie is out on Blu Ray / DVD since the playfield uses assets from the first and second films. Jack did say that the cabinet and playfield use assets from the 1st and 2nd films while the third movie will be incorporated on screen as otherwise the game wouldn't ship on time.

It was nice hearing Jack talk about his passion for JJP and pinball in general. You can really tell that Jack loves what he does, wants to make customers happy and wants to run a company that makes fun pinball games. Jack also mentioned that some operator magazine (not "Replay" that Jack writes for) ranked WOZ as #1 in earnings for April. One funny comment that Jack did make was in regards to some of the constant WOZ bashing by a select few on Pinside...he said something very close to (in a joking tone) "that they don't know sh*t about building a pinball company", haha. That got a good laugh out of the crowd. Overall Jack and Butch gave a really nice presentation and it was great to have JJP at MPE again.

#645 5 years ago

I thought the 2nd DVD was out already.

#646 5 years ago

If they do put in a full half playfield smaug toy that is interactive throughout its entire body, tail, feet wings etc and all of it is a bash toy there goes the rest of the 13 drivers. In my opinion it would be awesome.

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

I thought the 2nd DVD was out already.

It's out this Tuesday, April 8th.

#649 5 years ago

Hi,
thanks for taking the time to post the news
have fun there.
bb

You're welcome! I also recall Jack mentioning something about the player controlling divertors on top of the playfield and underneath the game. My guess is that players will be able to control the main ramp divertor. I do wonder if controlling an under the playfield divertor means that guesses about an underground playfield with camera that can then be played on the LCD is going to happen. That idea does fit with the theme as an underground playfield could represent Smaugs layer inside the Lonely Mountain and you battle with him below and above the playfield (he could be an interactive toy that rises / lowers from one playfield to the next) just like how the characters in the films battle with him inside the Lonely Mountain and then outside later on in the films.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

Some of you Nancy's couldn't enjoy a blowjob and cold Coke if your life depended on it. You really don't realize how good you have it right now. There are knitting circles of 80 y/old grannies with sandy vaginas, and support groups for hemmorhoidal irritable bowel syndrome sufferers who whine far less than some of you.
It's egregious really.

Too many mental images I can no longer get out of my head

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pensacola, FL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside