47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 201.
#6401 8 years ago

Good presentation (espically the sound portion!)

More info from Jack was good too - It does seem like it is rough to get all the parts in, and in the quality they need to be. I can see why it is taking longer than we expect. It also appears that they still need more time to do the code. But it appears that they are still improving the game so it is looking, to my eyes anyway, to be worth the wait.

#6402 8 years ago

JJ had problems even with the Backglass - Adhesion of the graphics to the glass.

Making a pinball machine is hard work. There are a lot of unexpected issues like the above.

#6403 8 years ago

wow - a lot of information to digest.

Gandalf is doing the game specific call outs - but they are awaiting studio approval on the voice actor....I think he said two or three weeks before they get the recordings done.

Two Steps From Hell are doing some music tracks in the game (very cool). David Thiel's stuff sounded incredible as well - I think TH will easily have the most sound (and maybe the best sound) of any pin to date.

1500-1600 sold so far.

No ship dates yet, but he did mention WOZs are on a 40 day back order. (is he planning to hire more staff to build TH?).

He talked about Pindemption quite a bit - basically a timed game with objectives that rewards tickets. This will be added to TH and WOZ. He mentioned having to buy the ticket dispensor and a new "dongle" to make it work if you want this functionality.

There will be dedicated GI in TH in addition to RGB.

TH has 17 more drivers than WOZ on the I/O board. (More stuff!!)

The videos of the LCD screens show a much more polished GUI than WOZ. It was really slick.

Overall - I'm very excited about everything I saw, but reading between the lines I think it will be Q4 before the build starts (I hope I'm wrong and they pull off Q3).

And PS - a new code update for WOZ coming in a few weeks.

#6404 8 years ago

Best I could do...
Watch "The Hobbit at North West Pinball and Arcade Show" on YouTube

#6405 8 years ago

It felt super polished and very fun.

#6406 8 years ago

The game didn't like me today, but I played about 8 times and watched bunches of others play. It's looking really good, and a number of the shots felt satisfying. I can't comment on the sound because the space was so loud. The ball got trapped a few times, but they mentioned in the seminar that they're working through those issues.

Flippers felt good, and making the ramps was no problem at all. The light show was impressive, and the LCD was, of course gorgeous.

#6407 8 years ago

Great presentation by JJP, well done guys. I could use less cheap Pinside shots, but okay, some of it was earned. The game is better now for our input though.

#6408 8 years ago

Story of David was really good. That is how you do it! Very well done.

Overall a good presentation. Looking forward to kick some ass on my Hobbit Soon, I hope!

#6409 8 years ago

Very excited that David was added to JJP. Iron man I always thought had the most epic sounds and music in a pin and i cant imagine how great TH will be with the resources he now has available.

I love the work JP is doing with the LCD animations.

Sounds like Keith is kicking ass with the code. For example there will be FOUR different skill shots of varying risk/reward you can choose!

Disappointed in yet more delays. Question I would have asked is why is there a backlog on WOZ? Seems like there is more than a part shortage and vendor relationships are strained.

Looking forward to getting my game..

#6410 8 years ago

One thing I love about pinball are the passionate dorky dudes like David Thiel and Butch Peel. They love what they do and are 100% genuine. Not a "sales" bone in their body, yet as a consumer, the passion sells itself and I'd feel pretty damn good having those guys on the team.

And then you add in Keith of course. Even though I backed out of TH after Expo, I wouldn't hesitate one second to jump back with this crew at the helm.

It's clear that JJP wants to "get it right" and is not willing to just shove something out the door for the sake of meeting a deadline. They have taken the delay hits to make the pin a whole lot better, especially better looking! It still shouldn't have taken two years to figure out the horrible initial art work. Maybe Jack should have paid a little more attention to comments on Pinside.

As for Jack, I give him credit for being more honest about the delays and standing up to the "Chicago pinball mafia"! That was classic.

Pretty clear Jack loves to hear himself talk He should do himself a favor and hand the mike to the Chile dude and other people that have played the pinball machine, instead of taking Pinside jabs, where so many of your customers reside. You are making pinball machines, come on, embrace the criticism, like you said, "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and better".

I'll throw in another compliment, JJP service is phenomenal, from day one, answering questions, getting parts out, you name it, can't have a better service team with Lloyd, Alex and crew.

As a Woz guy that suffered through all the Pinside back and forth, delays and Jack drama, at the end of the day, when you get your pinball machine, the wait will have been worth it.

#6411 8 years ago

I don't think he was ripping pinside as much as the few antagonists that reside here.

He was complimentary to the site in general mentioning the Pinball locator and acknowledging the constructive criticism. It was advertising for the site. He didn't mention RGP once.

When's the last time you heard Gary get into criticisms at this level? I found it refreshing to hear him speak with more candor on the delays rather than blaming others or disregarding the question entirely.

#6412 8 years ago

I do like the 'eye' lights in the Smaug toy. However, I wish they could have some sort of metal? shielding around the light so the light doesn't shine through the top of toy. I think it takes away from the effect if it shines through the top of the head.

If possible it would be great if the lights could be focused outwardly (sort of like a headlight housing) so that the eyes have a bit of a beam to them. That would look amazing

hobbit-77-smaug-350x263 (1).jpghobbit-77-smaug-350x263 (1).jpg

More on the cartoons effect like this:

#6413 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I do like the 'eye' lights in the Smaug toy. However, I wish they could have some sort of metal? shielding around the light so the light doesn't shine through the top of toy. I think it takes away from the effect if it shines through the top of the head.
If possible it would be great if the lights could be focused outwardly (sort of like a headlight housing) so that the eyes have a bit of a beam to them. That would look amazing
hobbit-77-smaug-350x263 (1).jpg
More on the cartoons effect like this: » YouTube video

One word.. Lasers

#6414 8 years ago

Mmm lasers. ..
2015-06-07-13-00-04-253674262.jpeg2015-06-07-13-00-04-253674262.jpeg2015-06-07-13-00-10--426420395.jpeg2015-06-07-13-00-10--426420395.jpegimages.jpegimages.jpegimages-1.jpegimages-1.jpegimages-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg2015-06-07-13-01-26-1986485721.jpeg2015-06-07-13-01-26-1986485721.jpeg

#6415 8 years ago

One of the better seminars I have attended, really enjoyed both Dave and Butchs presentations, and the whole feel was very positive. Jack has to walk a very fine line between being truthful and not revealing something that could come back to bite him, Im sure he would like to say a lot more!

#6416 8 years ago

What are the feelings about the vendor/supplier issues based on the seminar presentation and Q/A's.
1. Are the quality of parts ok now and are vendors supplying in quantities to build games?
2. Are all parts coming in for a least complete parts sets to build entire games?

Seems most of the past 4 month delays have been blamed on "can't control" issues on those two questions - did Jack and team get specific on either question, or is it still generic answers?

#6417 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Best I could do...
Watch "The Hobbit at North West Pinball and Arcade Show" on YouTube
» YouTube video

I know this is going to sound wrong, but it FINALLY looks like someone figured out how to setup a JJP pin at a show. Every video I've ever seen of WOZ and TH at shows look like they were setup by someone on Prozac. This video looks like it was pitched correctly and had a little bit of pace to it. It is a mistake JJP was making over and over. Someone would say that the flippers were too weak and the response would be we could set them to destroy everything inside the box, but they would still be set too low. You can't overcome the impression of a first play. Even before you understand the rules the feeling of play is what lives on in your mind. Good to see this being set better.

#6418 8 years ago

I haven't really been following this that much but after watching JJP's presentation that was posted a couple days ago I felt I should check in here. Seeing that video really was cool as the game has come a long way since I last took notice of what they were doing. When I last saw it I completely wrote it off but with all the changes they've made it's starting to look like something I would really want to own some day. I can't wait to see the modders go wild on those aces as that's really the only thing that stands out as cheap to me now. Put some 3D printed models there and it would look killer.

Nice progression JJP and it think you are really being smart by waiting to show us the 3rd game until it's further along the way.

#6419 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

What are the feelings about the vendor/supplier issues based on the seminar presentation and Q/A's.
1. Are the quality of parts ok now and are vendors supplying in quantities to build games?
2. Are all parts coming in for a least complete parts sets to build entire games?
Seems most of the past 4 month delays have been blamed on "can't control" issues on those two questions - did Jack and team get specific on either question, or is it still generic answers?

Generic answers and he never indicated when he thought Hobbit would be on the production line. At one point he guessed at what a question was from someone online, saying "he wants to know when he's going to get his Hobbit" (or words to that effect) but that was not the question asked, and therefore it was never answered.

#6420 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm tired of the wait but the presentation at the NW show really drove home that what JJP is doing is SO far and above any pinball ever created including WoZ, it's understandable why it's taking so long. Yes the price is high but JJP is adding MUCH more value for the money than any others asking the same price. Not going to mention any of the examples but you only have to compare TH and anything else out there and any reasonable person has to say that what Jack is building is a Cadillac among a lot of Kias.

#6421 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Generic answers and he never indicated when he thought Hobbit would be on the production line. At one point he guessed at what a question was from someone online, saying "he wants to know when he's going to get his Hobbit" (or words to that effect) but that was not the question asked, and therefore it was never answered.

Let's just hope yours is one at the front of the line when they finally go into production!

#6422 8 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Let's just hope yours is one at the front of the line when they finally go into production!

Thanks, but as you probably know, I don't preorder pins, so there's no chance of that happening, is there?

#6423 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks, but as you probably know, I don't preorder pins, so there's no chance of that happening, is there?

Had no clue.

#6424 8 years ago

Obviously.

#6425 8 years ago

Just watched the twitch podcast from the NW gaming show.

Is it just me or was Jack acting like a bit of a high school jerk to that south American guy? I don't care if you come from Jersey, you can still be respectful and polite, or is that an oxymoron?

#6426 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Based on WoZ standard line jumping, why wouldn't you think if you place fresh order "near the start of production" you won't be getting your game near the front of the line?

#6427 8 years ago

You have something like 90 plus posts in this thread complaining about TH missing it's delivery deadline so I just figured you were likely in on one early. My bad bud.

#6428 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Based on WoZ standard line jumping, why wouldn't you think if you place fresh order "near the start of production" you won't be getting your game near the front of the line?

Good point!

#6429 8 years ago

Random question....when did Thiel leave Stern, or are these guys working on a contract basis for each game? Just based on Thiel's work on Tron Legacy alone, it's a disgrace they would let him go anywhere... that was a smart snag by JJP. Sorry if this is old news to everyone else but I just put 1 and 1 together.

#6430 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Random question....when did Thiel leave Stern, or are these guys working on a contract basis for each game? Just based on Thiel's work on Tron Legacy alone, it's a disgrace they would let him go anywhere... that was a smart snag by JJP. Sorry if this is old news to everyone else but I just put 1 and 1 together.

Thiel did Star Trek and Mustang. That seems to have been his last two. Have no idea if he's just out of rotation like designers do sometimes.

#6431 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Thiel did Star Trek and Mustang. That seems to have been his last two. Have no idea if he's just out of rotation like designers do sometimes.

StarTrek has great sound work, can't believe Mustang's though.

#6432 8 years ago

I heard, but cannot verify, that when Thiel took Hobbit that Stern shut their door to him.

#6433 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

David Thiel left Stern in August or September of 2014. I spoke with him at EXPO in October.... what an amazing talent. Tron was a masterpiece of music/sound editing and XMEN has some incredible music that he synthesized/mixed. Of course he's done the sound for many great games in his career.

#6434 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I heard, but cannot verify, that when Thiel took Hobbit that Stern shut their door to him.

That would be a shame and a dumb move by Stern if true. The guy (like CG) is fantastically talented and made/makes incredible sound/music packages. Tron is one of the best sound/music packages ever made.

#6435 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That would be a shame and a dumb move by Stern if true. The guy (like CG) is fantastically talented and made/makes incredible sound/music packages. Tron is one of the best sound/music packages ever made.

Depends what the conditions of his contract where. He may have been an employee who left. He may have had an exclusive contract gig with Stern, that would terminate if he worked for a competitor.

I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he left for JJP. Nothing sinister here.

#6436 8 years ago

Depends what the conditions of his contract where. He may have been an employee who left. He may have had an exclusive contract gig with Stern, that would terminate if he worked for a competitor.
I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he left for JJP. Nothing sinister here.

Didnt imply anything sinister happened.

Just saying that if Stern "shut the door" on Thiel working for them in the future because he's working for JJP now, then that's sad because he is a major talent.

#6437 8 years ago

Sounds in Tron are very satisfying, but mostly driven by the band supporting it and an upgraded speaker system helps as well. On Startrek, the sounds are OK-ish. What else to expect in the year 2013? Sounds and callout quality that is now the standard is basically still the same as in the 90's.
But thats just my opinion...and ears

So..to stay on topic.. I really hope Hobbit will show some major improvements in this aspect as well! Smooth sounds that are going along with the ball(flow) with a nice entertaining and pleasant to the ears backgound music of some sort.

#6438 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

but mostly driven by the band supporting it

All I'm going to say is do your research. Lots of the music in that game is NOT Daft Punk, but an amazing copycat effort on the part of Thiel.

WOZ has some REALLY annoying sounds. Aside from the general complaint of the music, the one that stands out the most to me is the super loud high pitched "DING!" that happens occasionally, and I'm really not a fan of the tilt warning, because it's not obvious enough as to what it is, IMO. Thiel used a really bad one on Star Trek though....that transporter sound is just ear piercing.. = \

Sorry, didn't mean to derail, I'm done with that.

#6439 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Didnt imply anything sinister happened.
Just saying that if Stern "shut the door" on Thiel working for them in the future because he's working for JJP now, then that's sad because he is a major talent.

And I was saying he may have left on his on volition.

#6440 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

I really hope Hobbit will show some major improvements in this aspect as well!

Frankly, the most amazing thing about the Hobbit is the sound. I was BLOWN AWAY by it. Just amazing.

#6441 8 years ago

And I was saying he may have left on his on volition.

Yes, i agree. That is more likely than not actually.

#6442 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, i agree. That is more likely than not actually.

Most likely cause, like the rest of us when we change jobs; money.

#6443 8 years ago

Most likely cause, like the rest of us when we change jobs; money.

Quickest way to get raises...keep getting new jobs.

#6444 8 years ago

I d

Quoted from Frax:All I'm going to say is do your research. Lots of the music in that game is NOT Daft Punk, but an amazing copycat effort on the part of Thiel.

I dont have to do research on my Tron for that matter, it is the whole scheme which makes it pleasant. The movie-soundtrack background music never bores me. I just hope that Hobbit has something similar, not just the pling plong that is going in woz. I expect and also wish for more.

#6445 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Frankly, the most amazing thing about the Hobbit is the sound. I was BLOWN AWAY by it. Just amazing.

Good to hear My last two experiances were at Expo and DPO.. I wasn't impressed that time.. all I recall was the same ''pling and plong'' as in woz.

#6446 8 years ago

Once you hear Smaug speak you will be amazed.

#6447 8 years ago

But again now we are in 2015, for JJP it should be one of its relatively easy targets, to blow us away with sound and call-outs.
If the ''tilt warning'' in Startrek is the benchmark... hah!

#6448 8 years ago

You know you guys could actually watch the seminar video and listen to Thiel himself talk a bit about wanting to take a break and how he came to do work for JJP, right?

#6449 8 years ago

To clarify: I have never been an employee of a pinball company (except when I did video game audio for Gottlieb). Since 2006 each pin audio package was a new contract. After Mustang was done I decided to take a break from my existing client. I've known Pat Lawlor since 1984 when we worked together at Action Graphics. I sent Pat an email when he announced his return congratulating him. Pat replied and asked if I was available and I was. When I talked with JJP they asked if I would help with The Hobbit audio package as well. I am thrilled to work on the JJP hardware system. More CPU, 1000 times more memory and good speakers takes away so many audio limitations and gives me the tools to provide great audio for the player. I am psyched about the headphone jack as well. Back to Middle Earth....

#6450 8 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify: I have never been an employee of a pinball company (except when I did video game audio for Gottlieb). Since 2006 each pin audio package was a new contract. After Mustang was done I decided to take a break from my existing client. I've known Pat Lawlor since 1984 when we worked together at Action Graphics. I sent Pat an email when he announced his return congratulating him. Pat replied and asked if I was available and I was. When I talked with JJP they asked if I would help with The Hobbit audio package as well. I am thrilled to work on the JJP hardware system. More CPU, 1000 times more memory and good speakers takes away so many audio limitations and gives me the tools to provide great audio for the player. I am psyched about the headphone jack as well. Back to Middle Earth....

Great to hear from the horse's mouth.

I'm a big fan of your work, and am very much looking forward to hearing more of what you've done on Hobbit, and Lawlor's game when it comes out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/129 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.