Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 201.
#6301 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The protector is total overkill for home use.

Tell that to the guys with HUO WoZs with chipped playfields.

#6302 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I know this has been debated before but I have two quick questions for those in on the hobbit:
1) Do you think cliffy's will be available for install when delivered (are they 'standard' size?)
2) PF protector or not? I want to skip because I think it could lose that PF shine sooner - but I don't want to risk too much damage to the PF. Are you guys going with the PF protector?
Also, I think I am going to skip the Radcals because it is going in my home - and I usually baby my things - so I don't think it will be needed. I guess I can always put them on latter.

I don't think cliffys will be available right away. I helped him with WOZ, as did a couple of other people. Cliffy needs a playfield, and pictures of the parts around the holes, and how the parts are attached. I would think that info will happen within the first month and a half of production, and then he has to manufacture a set and then trial install them. I was part of that trial install on WOZ along with another pinhead. It takes a couple of weeks for that. These will probably not be standard.

As for the playfield protector, I personally think it's overkill.

#6303 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Tell that to the guys with HUO WoZs with chipped playfields.

I had a chipped playfield. I put some Mylar on and cliffys and it's been fine since. I would prefer a few bits of strategically placed Mylar instead of a whole playfield protector. My 2 cents.
Note, I had an early playfield which was prone to chipping. The new vendor playfield JJP are using now, have had no reports of chipping. Another reason it's overkill.

#6304 4 years ago

I'm going with the whole PF protector. If it gets to looking bad, I'll remove it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.. Too much money to risk even a single chip and I'll bet it prevents a lot of dimpling. Hell the whole game is overkill, why not go for it?

#6305 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I'm going with the whole PF protector. If it gets to looking bad, I'll remove it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.. Too much money to risk even a single chip and I'll bet it prevents a lot of dimpling. Hell the whole game is overkill, why not go for it?

I am thinking that way too, but my concerns are:

1. Several pop ups and roll over targets - so how would the PF protector effect those components
2. Cloudiness of the PF over sustained use.

If it is easy to remove I would likely get it, and if I didn't like it I would just remove it. But I think it is probably a major pain to take it off (or put it on)

#6306 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure I live close to you. I'd love to buy you a drink sometime and hear why you're so negative all the time. There's gotta be a reason.

He probably gets tired of people like me that are excited about the hobbit, or like the JJP games. So I don't mind too much if he comes into the JJP threads and talks about how bad JJP is or how much the games suck. His opinion, ignore is an option if you feel someone is just trolling. He has good comments from time to time in other threads; but he definitely seems to have a strong hatred for all things JJP as far as I can tell. Oh well...

#6307 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I would prefer a few bits of strategically placed Mylar instead of a whole playfield protector. My 2 cents.

Thats the ticket.

#6308 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

OOOOHHHHHH........glass.

Time to beam up captain

#6309 4 years ago

I started off thinking about the pf protector... but I have one on my LOTR - it causes horrible reflections (even with invsiglass), gets crap behind it and worst of all it does affect ball phyics I don't care what anyone says.

My pf is going commando on my Hobbit!

#6310 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

His opinion, ignore is an option if you feel someone is just trolling.

I never ignore anybody. Every opinion is important to me, even if it's put out there just to piss people off. And the one guy you ignore may be the very one that has an answer to an important question you ask down the road.

#6311 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I started off thinking about the pf protector... but I have one on my LOTR - it causes horrible reflections (even with invsiglass), gets crap behind it and worst of all it does affect ball phyics I don't care what anyone says.
My pf is going commando on my Hobbit!

Agree, seeing TH at Ohio the protector looked horrible. There were spots that it was lifted from the pf and there were spots it was right up against it. It looked horrible and caused reflections. My biggest concern is over time dust getting in between the pf and the protector. I think back to the days when manufacturers started to put the protectors around pop bumpers.

These pf protectors are new so there is no way to tell, at this time, if they will do any damage or if they will actually protect!

#6312 4 years ago

I've got several protectors on different machines, I would recommend them for games you've done touchups on, that have sunken inserts, or other defects, but I don't really see the need for them on a new clear coated machine, just seems like over kill to me.

#6313 4 years ago

Not only is it not necessary in a Home environment (aside from dealing with fluke issues in production), it affects play and feel.. defeats the purpose IMHO.

Then again..

2702113_orig.png
2074579351_48fb18a115_z-e1322516413205.jpg

#6314 4 years ago

It's funny that some people say the feel of the ball is the same with or without the protector, I'm not in that camp... Maybe some people are just more sensitive to having a pf protector than others.

Pinball machines (like couches!!) have a lifespan. Anything that limits enjoyment in order to prolong that lifespan is redundant imo.

note: in an operator environment it's about protecting your investment against hooligans, different story....

#6315 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am thinking that way too, but my concerns are:

1. Several pop ups and roll over targets - so how would the PF protector effect those components
2. Cloudiness of the PF over sustained use.

If it is easy to remove I would likely get it, and if I didn't like it I would just remove it. But I think it is probably a major pain to take it off (or put it on)

If you don't intend to use it again, it is especially easy to remove...just use scissors.

#6316 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Jack used the "No one'sy two'sy" line on me during a phone conversation while accepting my $2500 WOZ deposit. At that time WOZ production was stated as being "just a few months out". Back then "boards were done" too.
Years passed before a single WOZ left the line however.

I hear your point. It's valid.

#6317 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

What's wrong with building a few a week? (Starting a few months ago)
Especially of a brand new title?
What's the worst thing that can happen ? A dozen machines get play tested for a month or 2 before production ramps up?
If that's the reason they didn't start building a few months ago then I'd called bullshit.... But that wouldn't be new

The only thing I see that could go wrong with 1 or 2 a week is people might be even more upset? IDK. I think the plan is that once production begins they come flying out and lots are delivered fast.

#6318 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Anything that limits enjoyment in order to prolong that lifespan is redundant imo.

And now that we've established your position on condoms ...

#6319 4 years ago

I take the approach my Dad used when it came to car seat covers. After he (and I) scrapped his first car (late sixties impala) - he towed it to the scrap yard and the scrap yard owner removed the seat covers and the seats were mint (maybe a little soft) while the rest of the car was rusted, scratched and tired looking. He saw that the seats looked way nicer than the covers and asked why he covered this beautiful seat with these covers. He decided then and there that you should only cover these things after they are worn (to cover the ugly wear). 40+ years and nor more seat-covers. I think he was right.

IMHO opinion the glare caused by the protector and the hazzy worn look in areas is terrible. I feel the same with cliffy's - use them after the wear starts because they do have a small impact on gameplay and once you put them on it really does not matter if the wear is there or not (nobody can see it).

My 2 cents. I love my games and especially the mint ones but I love my car too and I still drive it (but I wax it and wash it knowing that if I take care of it - it will last longer). Wax and clean your pins from time to time and they will last forever in HUO settings. I have 11 pins and I don't put 3000 games a year total on them combined. Just wax and clean every now and again people.

I know, I also think some of these games are works of art but they must be played. That is why most children like/prefer interactive museums (like science) and not art gallerys. They might like the art but come on you can't touch it.

Chillax people and try not to overthink this but go with whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Keep on Flippin (and not flippin-out).

#6320 4 years ago

I look at it the same way on things I plan to use up. For instance, my wife likes to keep the protective film over the shiny plastic parts on new appliances. They get wrinkled, hazy and ugly over the life of the appliance. We ended up replacing the item with new looking plastic parts. My thought is the reason she wants to keep it on is so it will look nice but it has the opposite effect throughout the life of the item. But, for a pinball machine, I don't fool myself into thinking I will keep it forever, too many machines, too little space to keep them. I want to keep the pin looking as new as possible to keep the value up. When a single scratch or divot on an otherwise pristine machine can impact the value -$1000-2000 or more, I will happily use a protective film to assure it will stay as new. Also, the amount of gameplay I put on a machine is relatively minimal and chances are the film will look just as good as or better than a "commando" pf for my use.

#6321 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

If it's the one that was on the game in Ohio, you'd be better off without it. Dirt will easily get under it and grind into the playfield through all the switch holes, etc. It's not glued to the playfield.

Also it makes the playfield look bad - kind of cloudy on the one I played. Reminded me of an Italian grandmother's furniture covers.

Cliffy's I could see being generally helpful.

#6322 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This is the quietest period I can remember from JJP. Very odd.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I find the lack of updates completely unprofessional at this point..

Jack's not quiet, he's just not talking on Pinside. Why bother? It only brings negative posts regardless of the "news".

#6323 4 years ago

He does from time to time, but I agree - why bother. Just use the Google group and let your products do the talking. If you aren't really interested in the hobbit or woz why bother coming into these JJP threads?

#6324 4 years ago

Long time lurker here, first time poster. I caught the pinball bug a couple of years ago when my brother got a pin, and following that, we put down a deposit on TH. I loved the theme and heard that generally people liked their WOZ. And at the time, I thought it would be unlikely that we would ever own more than one pin, so I felt like we could splurge on this one pin. Though we are not fully paid in, we do have a fair amount of money put into the payments. Well, that was a little over two years ago that we put in our first payment, and since then, I've learned more about other pins (attended the pinball expo in Chicago and the VFW in Brighton, MI -- very fun). Increasingly, I'm wondering if we should pull out and just spend the money on a pin we could play now. It seems like there are some indications that production could happen soon, but there is no official word. And this post made me really wonder if I won't see this pin until next year:

Quoted from lowepg:

Yup.
Building TH = zero *immediate* cash flow, in fact, it creates negative $$$ flow since he needs to buy parts
Building WoZ= cash flow.

"Contractual obligations" be damned, TH will hit the assembly line "purely coincidentally" once the WoZ backlog subsides....

What are peoples' thoughts? Stay the course? Bag it and look for a pin to play now?

#6325 4 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

Long time lurker here, first time poster. I caught the pinball bug a couple of years ago when my brother got a pin, and following that, we put down a deposit on TH. I loved the theme and heard that generally people liked their WOZ. And at the time, I thought it would be unlikely that we would ever own more than one pin, so I felt like we could splurge on this one pin. Though we are not fully paid in, we do have a fair amount of money put into the payments. Well, that was a little over two years ago that we put in our first payment, and since then, I've learned more about other pins (attended the pinball expo in Chicago and the VFW in Brighton, MI -- very fun). Increasingly, I'm wondering if we should pull out and just spend the money on a pin we could play now. It seems like there are some indications that production could happen soon, but there is no official word. And this post made me really wonder if I won't see this pin until next year:

What are peoples' thoughts? Stay the course? Bag it and look for a pin to play now?

It's your(and your brother's) money. Don't let the guys on here spend it for you. You are going to get answers all over the place.

#6326 4 years ago

I played it at TPF. If you pull out now, I think you will regret it later.

#6327 4 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

Though we are not fully paid in, we do have a fair amount of money put into the payments. Well, that was a little over two years ago that we put in our first payment, and since then, I've learned more about other pins (attended the pinball expo in Chicago and the VFW in Brighton, MI -- very fun). Increasingly, I'm wondering if we should pull out and just spend the money on a pin we could play now.

Wow. Has it really been two years already that some people put down payments on The Hobbit?

I really hope that these get on the line at JJP soon.

Quoted from txstargazer3:

I played it at TPF. If you pull out now, I think you will regret it later.

How much later?

#6328 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow. Has it really been two years already that some people put down payments on The Hobbit?
I really hope that these get on the line at JJP soon.

It has been, but believe it or not, and I'm not trying to be a douche, the up and downs are kind of enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I will be glad to get it, but sometimes the anticipation is more fun than the reality of getting it home. This is true of lots of things for me, not just pinball.

#6329 4 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

It has been, but believe it or not, and I'm not trying to be a douche, the up and downs are kind of enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I will be glad to get it, but sometimes the anticipation is more fun than the reality of getting it home. This is true of lots of things for me, not just pinball.

I understand exactly what you are saying. That wouldn't work for me, but I get it. When you have your Hobbit sitting in your home, you can look at it and have memories of how it developed and changed over that two year period, the ups and downs, the Pinside drama, the waiting, the initial disappointment of the Smaug "reveal" with subsequent improvements based on feedback, etc.

#6330 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I understand exactly what you are saying. That wouldn't work for me, but I get it. When you have your Hobbit sitting in your home, you can look at it and have memories of how it developed and changed over that two year period, the ups and downs, the Pinside drama, the waiting, the initial disappointment of the Smaug "reveal" with subsequent improvements based on feedback, etc.

Exactly.

#6331 4 years ago

What is this google group you speak of? I pre ordered through pinballstar.

#6332 4 years ago
Quoted from JaredSP:

What is this google group you speak of? I pre ordered through pinballstar.

Email Jen with your order info and she will give you access to the JJP group.

#6333 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That will be better memories than the nightmare of those who may eventually manage to have a Magic Girl sitting in their house.

#6334 4 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

The only thing I see that could go wrong with 1 or 2 a week is people might be even more upset? IDK. I think the plan is that once production begins they come flying out and lots are delivered fast.

Jack said that to you too didnt he?

He told me people would throw a fit & get pissed if he shipped WOZ just a few at a time. I'm paraphrasing here BTW

Lmfao apx 2 years later still no WOZ shipped... When he finally did ship games there was only a handful on an almost empty truck & it felt like a lot of time passed before more left. That's about as onsey twosey as it gets.

I'm not targeting or attacking you via this reply I promise. I'm just sharing my experience that sure sounds very similar to yours.

My gut says Jack had good intentions & passion when this all started. Hope it all gets back on track

#6335 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Jack said that to you too didnt he?

Whoa - slow down. Jack never said that. I said I was guessing... I said IDK - that stands for I Don't Know... right

Don't drag me into your rants please.

#6336 4 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Whoa - slow down. Jack never said that. I said I was guessing... I said IDK - that stands for I Don't Know... right
Don't drag me into your rants please.

Too late.

Welcome to thunder dome lol

#6337 4 years ago

Well, it's been 6 days since I pulled up this thread. Nothing new. I figured I'll simply find out when Hobbit is shipping when doughslingers calls me and tells me I need to pay my balance.

Here's to enjoying summer.

#6338 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Well, it's been 6 days since I pulled up this thread. Nothing new. I figured I'll simply find out when Hobbit is shipping when doughslingers calls me and tells me I need to pay my balance.
Here's to enjoying summer.

I know what your saying, but we did get this from Jack this week posted on the Pinball Sales Facebook page .

"Some 500+ Hobbit glass arriving for inspection."

409166.jpg
#6339 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure I live close to you. I'd love to buy you a drink sometime and hear why you're so negative all the time. There's gotta be a reason.

If you're ever in Indy, drinks are on me. I'm not negative, just not wearing rose colored glasses about JJP. Some people still are. I find it a fascinating look at human psychology.

There was a time when I was super hyped up about this pin.

#6340 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

He probably gets tired of people like me that are excited about the hobbit, or like the JJP games. So I don't mind too much if he comes into the JJP threads and talks about how bad JJP is or how much the games suck. His opinion, ignore is an option if you feel someone is just trolling. He has good comments from time to time in other threads; but he definitely seems to have a strong hatred for all things JJP as far as I can tell. Oh well...

Drinks are on me for you too, Goronic.

#6341 4 years ago

Drinks are on me for you too, Goronic.

Wooohoooooo!

. I'm not negative, just not wearing rose colored glasses about JJP.

I hear you - but I guess I am happy for any pinball manufacture that wants to create pinball machines. I only ask that when they take money they actually deliver! As for JJP and The Hobbit - I was certain after the expo reveal it would be pushed back several months - the reaction, me included, wasn't good.

#6342 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Wooohoooooo!

I hear you - but I guess I am happy for any pinball manufacture that wants to create pinball machines. I only ask that they when they take money they actually deliver!

I agree 100%

#6343 4 years ago

By the way, the Star Trek you own is freaking awesome. Played it a few time locally - that is solid pin for sure. But I am also a Star Trek fan - so that helps.

#6344 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

By the way, the Star Trek you own is freaking awesome. Played it a few time locally - that is solid pin for sure. But I am also a Star Trek fan - so that helps.

Somebody cue the music. I'm sensing the start of a wonderful bromance here.

If you're ever in Indy, drinks are on me.

Damn. I thought you were the other Kirk who lives about a half hour from me. Too many Captain Kirk avatars. It gets confusing. If I were you Trekkie guys, I'd try to distinguish myself by using Uhura or some other loser from the show that nobody else would ever touch.

Or just use a picture of a dog with a cigar. That always works.

#6345 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

And I'm a Hobbit fan, which I why I was so interested in this at one time.

Oh well, I'm sure it's still better than WOZ.

#6346 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Somebody cue the music. I'm sensing the start of a wonderful bromance here.

Damn. I thought you were the other Kirk who lives about a half hour from me. Too many Captain Kirk avatars. It gets confusing. If I were you Trekkie guys, I'd try to distinguish myself by using Uhura or some other loser from the show that nobody else would ever touch.
Or just use a picture of a dog with a cigar. That always works.

There is only ONE Captain Kirk, and I'm him!

i-m-captain-kirk-o.gif
#6347 4 years ago

If I get a Stern it will likely be Metallica or TRON (Star Trek is close, but not quite close enough for me to pull the trigger on getting it).

I am actually very interested in JJP's 3rd pin. For some reason I just like JJP machines better than Sterns. I know - I'm nuts. Whatever...

#6348 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If I get a Stern it will likely be Metallica or TRON (Star Trek is close, but not quite close enough for me to pull the trigger on getting it).
I am actually very interested in JJP's 3rd pin. For some reason I just like JJP machines better than Sterns. I know - I'm nuts. Whatever...

If there were Tron Premiums.....I'd get one. LE is batshit expensive.....

#6349 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Email Jen with your order info and she will give you access to the JJP group.

Who is jen and where do i get her email address?

#6350 4 years ago
Quoted from JaredSP:

Who is jen and where do i get her email address?

I'll pm you.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
7,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Camano Island, WA
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside