Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 201.
#5951 4 years ago

Mod makers will have a lot of opportunities. I can't wait to see what the creative mod guys come up with. Just look at the drawings for the Bag End topper. That's really cool.

#5952 4 years ago

JJP machines should be the least modded ones out there.

#5953 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

JJP machines should be the least modded ones out there.

Always room for mods.....WOZ LE was loaded, and 75th gave even more.

#5954 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I see what you're saying but if it was that simple, JJP would have done it.

They seem to be having issues reversing course with the full turn concept. This was just going back to it in another way. The gold pile could be enhanced with gems and such and it would look very nice - and have a better game feel.

The issue with the old design is that the mountain side mold didn't sell it well - that coupled with the extremely high expectation of Smaug (and how interactive he would be with the actual ball). That disappointment I feel backlashed against any other design because it didn't measure up to the 'perceived' design they had in their minds before the expo reveal.

Right now Smaug just sits there looking hard left - could be better is all I am saying. But the pin is looking good all around - I just hate that a few details like this could have kept it form being a grand slam.

#5955 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Always room for mods.....WOZ LE was loaded, and 75th gave even more.

Sure, a few small mods can be nice. But unlike TH, WOZ wasn't screaming for a mod.

I thought JJP was the Cadillac of pinball machines. So unless you are a pimp, you shouldn't feel the need to mod your Cadillac.

#5956 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Sure, a few small mods can be nice. But unlike TH, WOZ wasn't screaming for a mod.
I thought JJP was the Cadillac of pinball machines. So unless you are a pimp, you shouldn't feel the need to mod your Cadillac.

Pin mods are not just for "fixing" design issues. They also help owners to personalize their machines - something a bit different from what comes off the assembly line.

#5957 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Pin mods are not just for "fixing" design issues. They also help owners to personalize their machines - something a bit different from what comes off the assembly line.

True, I see mods as 100% cosmetic.

#5958 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I've been wondering if that decision was ever explained anywhere. AFAIK, tilt warnings have always been per ball. Why make it per game (by default)?

Because, why give people the potential for 3+ extra balls when you could just as easily give them just 1? Helps bring down the gap between great players and casuals, and in theory reduces abuse.

#5959 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Because, why give people the potential for 3+ extra balls when you could just as easily give them just 1? Helps bring down the gap between great players and casuals, and in theory reduces abuse.

And it's a setting so you an make it per ball if you wanted...I will on mine.

#5960 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I understand that, each of my machines has something modded. Some don't really need it (like RS) and some do (like AC/DC).

#5961 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I understand that, each of my machines has something modded. Some don't really need it (like RS) and some do (like AC/DC).

Wrong...RS NEEDS a ColorDMD!

#5962 4 years ago

All the Smaug speech they are putting in the game will make Smaug a winner.

#5963 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

All the Smaug speech they are putting in the game will make Smaug a winner.

+1 can't wait for my delivery date!

#5964 4 years ago

Is this an update thread or delay thread?

Or are the delays the updates lol

Any legit new news from Allentown?

#5965 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Is this an update thread or delay thread?
Or are the delays the updates lol
Any legit new news from Allentown?

No new news. Same old news and some carry over from WOZ.

I will summarize.

JJP is going to go under.
Hobbit plays too slow.
Playfield is too bare.
They are way behind and will ship in 2017...maybe
Can't hit ramps because of weak flippers.
Upper right needs something.

Someone used a Dremel tool to modify the ramps.

and did you hear they found drywall screws in the playfield?

#5966 4 years ago

oh yeah...sorry

In case your not familiar with who Doug Piranha is.

#5967 4 years ago

I forgot about the drywall screw lmfao

Edit: Man, that was like a lifetime ago. That was 2011 right? They should ship one in the goodie bag for shits n giggles

#5968 4 years ago

Just curiosity, not criticism.

The idea that it closes the gap between good/casual players is very interesting. I'm a little surprised to see that as part of your thinking as a tournament player who has made his share of double danger saves, no doubt.

#5969 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

The idea that it closes the gap between good/casual players is very interesting. I'm a little surprised to see that as part of your thinking as a tournament player who has made his share of double danger saves, no doubt.

If I just did things that were beneficial to me, operators wouldn't make money and we wouldn't sell as many games. So from that perspective, it makes perfect sense. The rollovers for locks are another gigantic gap-closer in general. Those things typically reward flailers more than accurate shot makers; again, not an accident.

Besides, IMNSHO, having per-game tilt warnings is WAY more strategic than per-ball, because you really REALLY have to think about when it's most advantageous to use them. So, that is also way more interesting to me.

#5970 4 years ago

Besides, IMNSHO, having per-game tilt warnings is WAY more strategic than per-ball, because you really REALLY have to think about when it's most advantageous to use them.

Totally agree. But I might be in the minority - I suggested that to friends during a tourney and they thought I was mad.

#5971 4 years ago

I've not seen the game in person, so the videos posted are greatly appreciated. Can I ask, those who have played the game, does the LCD book mod pose a significant purpose? I'm trying to understand the depth it has with game play. Lots of discussion about the dragon but very little about book. Game does look stellar and really digging the lighting affects. Someone mentioned once about the idea of when the dragon breaths fire, that all of the leds on the play field change from red to yellow as if he is blowing the file on you (The player) think it would be a super amazing light show.

#5972 4 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I've not seen the game in person, so the videos posted are greatly appreciated. Can I ask, those who have played the game, does the LCD book mod pose a significant purpose? I'm trying to understand the depth it has with game play. Lots of discussion about the dragon but very little about book. Game does look stellar and really digging the lighting affects. Someone mentioned once about the idea of when the dragon breaths fire, that all of the leds on the play field change from red to yellow as if he is blowing the file on you (The player) think it would be a super amazing light show.

I did not see the book in person. But functions I have seen in videos:

- Timer (maybe TSPP style)
- Mode indicator (believe it changes when you shoot the left ramp)
- Animations (fire in Smaug multiball. Also heard of water being displayed when ball is in pop bumpers)

I think the display will integrate well when completely utilsed

#5973 4 years ago

I really like the lcd book showing the countdowns, it is a great place for that information.

Great job so far guys! Can't wait till I get mine, now if only Smaug had some Easter eggs.... Ok ok maybe after code version 3

#5974 4 years ago

If I just did things that were beneficial to me, operators wouldn't make money and we wouldn't sell as many games. So from that perspective, it makes perfect sense. The rollovers for locks are another gigantic gap-closer in general. Those things typically reward flailers more than accurate shot makers; again, not an accident.
Besides, IMNSHO, having per-game tilt warnings is WAY more strategic than per-ball, because you really REALLY have to think about when it's most advantageous to use them. So, that is also way more interesting to me.

Awesome that so much thought went into something so basic, thanks.

#5975 4 years ago

Not to nitpick, but since we are on the topic - the rollovers. I own WOZ and generally love the game. The one source of frustration to me is the rollovers changing the path of the ball, especially when they make the ball 'hop' just enough to prevent what would otherwise have been a successful ramp shot. My fear with TH is that the rollovers will do the same: make the ball 'hop' or otherwise change paths enough to foil what would have been a successful ramp shot.

#5976 4 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

My fear with TH is that the rollovers will do the same: make the ball 'hop' or otherwise change paths enough to foil what would have been a successful ramp shot.

I found that they were positioned in a way that they didn't impede ramp shots because the ball speed was high enough to compensate.

#5977 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I found that they were positioned in a way that they didn't impede ramp shots because the ball speed was high enough to compensate.

Yes. A ramp shot is not impeded at all. A slow moving ball does change directions over the roll-overs though...I've cursed the roll-overs a few times after a slow ball changes the trajectory to SDTM.

#5978 4 years ago

So after reading this thread the last few days ive decided this has to be my first pin. Im located in NJ but from what ive gathered if i order directly from JJP i wouldnt be receiving my pin for months after initial shipping starts. Is there a distributor on here that has an early one ordered thats for sale?

#5979 4 years ago
Quoted from JaredSP:

So after reading this thread the last few days ive decided this has to be my first pin. Im located in NJ but from what ive gathered if i order directly from JJP i wouldnt be receiving my pin for months after initial shipping starts. Is there a distributor on here that has an early one ordered thats for sale?

You might be happier in the long run if you order directly from JJP and end up getting one of the machines produced later. I got a later WOZ and can't stop singing its praises.

#5980 4 years ago

I should also express my deep gratitude to the early owners that helped fine tune WOZ. Because of your efforts I have an incredible machine.

#5981 4 years ago

I had an early run WOZ and I had quite a few problems, but the silver lining to having an early machine, is I got to learn how to troubleshoot a lot of the problems, and help some others with theirs. I even sent messages to JJP to help them understand problems, so they could fix it on production. I started life as an aircraft mechanic and am a ham radio Operator, so digging into problems is fairly natural. If you aren't scared of this kind of activity, then go for an early machine. If that is something you wouldn't care to do, maybe a later run would be better. I will say this, once I got the teething problems fixed, the machine has really stood up well. It's built like a tank.

#5982 4 years ago

Not sure if this video was posted before. It appears to be 3 weeks old, but I hadn't seen it before:

#5984 4 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Not sure if this video was posted before. It appears to be 3 weeks old, but I hadn't seen it before:
ยป YouTube video

Yeah. This is from the Michigan Expo - here you can compare, as much as video will let you, the Smaug SE gold trim with the lastest LE model trim. Still on the fence

#5985 4 years ago

Oh, come on and just say it...

#5986 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Oh, come on and just say it...

I was making a crack about that video having a "coming 2014" deal, but then I actually loaded it and decided my comment was dumb.

#5987 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was making a crack about that video having a "coming 2014" deal, but then I actually loaded it and decided my comment was dumb.

I guess JJP should change their company slogan from

JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF FUN! "sm"

to

Better late than never...

or

Good things come to those who wait...

Just kidding folks!

#5988 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But ooohhhh so right!

#5989 4 years ago

It did come in 2014, doesn't say delivered

#5990 4 years ago

I went from being underwhelmed at Expo to wanting one at MGC. This really looks like it's coming together. I can't wait to get some plays on the finished product.

#5991 4 years ago
Quoted from JaredSP:

Im located in NJ but

Call Jack and talk to him.

#5992 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You might be happier in the long run if you order directly from JJP and end up getting one of the machines produced later. I got a later WOZ and can't stop singing its praises.

This is great advise, I pushed my delivery way back and have had a flawless WOZECLE experience. Only problem is that is everyone delays delivery JJP will never start making Hobbits.

#5993 4 years ago

Hey KISS gets a backboard Decal! Why not Hobbit??

#5994 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

They also got an actual head toy that interacts with the ball "in multiple ways" And amazingly that same head isn't also covering the entire center of the playfield artwork. What odd choices they made on that silly KISS game.

#5995 4 years ago

I did not play it at Allentown due to the line. I was content with the prototype at Ohio. While I was there talking to Jack the game acted up and Jack popped the glass and had to get under the playfield. I helped by holding up the playfield while he reseated a connector. Man that playfield is loaded and friggin heavy. Jack looked at me and had me confirm that I had it stable. I dont blame him , had I dropped that thing there would have been one less pinball manufacturer in the world. The amount of hardware in that pin is impressive in its own right.

#5996 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

The amount of hardware in that pin is impressive in its own right.

I hope the PF board can handle it long term - I doubt there has every been a heavier playfield...

#5997 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I hope the PF board can handle it long term - I doubt there has every been a heavier playfield...

Yeah, I worry about warping. It would be a shame if a year after production starts people start complaining about a bowl in the centre of the playfield. Hope it's been considered.

#5998 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

agree Hobbits needs a factory backboard decal badly

#5999 4 years ago

I hope the backboard decal is one of the little surprises that he adds in once he gets production rolling (well that and maybe some other mod to that area)... kinda like what he did with the crystal ball in WOZ.

#6000 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Yeah, I worry about warping. It would be a shame if a year after production starts people start complaining about a bowl in the centre of the playfield. Hope it's been considered.

Plywood is designed to be stronger and resistant to warping, but how much depends on the type of plywood. Has anyone spoken with JJP about this issue and can put everyone at ease?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside