47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 201.
#551 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Display animations update:
» YouTube video

display setup and looks are much better than WOZ. I like where it's heading. Might have to get one when you guys start dumping your games for the next new game you havn't played.

#552 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

yeah, and Stern is not innovating at all; in fact they are putting less and less on the pf, and maintaining the practice of releasing games with basic/incomplete code, if ST is any indication. They are just taking advantage of the noob 'collectors' who pay ridiculous premiums for cheap accessorizing. And they are on a production schedule to crank out the next licensed game on time, not trying to move pinball forward. All well and good, but I'll still give an innovative new pinball platform/company/system some slack for their first effort. And it looks like the Hobbit is even revamping a lot of stuff learned from the WOZ design/production.

That is... if you can ever even GET your purchase. 3 years is a long time to wait for anything.

#553 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

display setup and looks are much better than WOZ. I like where it's heading.

I agree but that's like saying a Ferrari looks much better than a Porsche. It may be true but the Porsche is still 100X better than all the other Ford Taurus's trying to compete with it.

#554 9 years ago

Great job on the animations so far, I like the idea of the gollum riddle incorporated as well. So far I feel that pre ordering this game was the second best pinball decision I have made.

The best decision was getting into the hobby in the first place.

#555 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm...I think you mean arkenstone. I'll leave the grabbing of the Oakenshield for you.

Edited, haha that'll teach me for "grabbing" the first hobbit google that came up while trying to remember what that bloody gem was called, thought it was something sheild and sounded plausible.

#556 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Looks like more info on this one... can anyone clean it up or extrapolate? I see some Smaugage

Just not enough detail to work with, on top of which the jpeg compression isn't helping. I laid it over the blueprint, it's blurry, but it does give you a sense of how things are shifting a bit as they work with the whitewood.

hobbit.pnghobbit.png

#557 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

display setup and looks are much better than WOZ. I like where it's heading. Might have to get one when you guys start dumping your games for the next new game you havn't played.

No chance I am gonna do that

#558 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

...and have paid in full for.

#559 9 years ago

When I look at that picture, after filtering it a bit, I could see Smaugs head in the upper left corner, with his body in the upper right covering the pops, and tail running down the right side of the machine.

Seems like a lot of space taken up, but who the hell knows...

smaug.jpgsmaug.jpg

#560 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just not enough detail to work with, on top of which the jpeg compression isn't helping. I laid it over the blueprint, it's blurry, but it does give you a sense of how things are shifting a bit as they work with the whitewood.

hobbit.png 425 KB

Enhance...

#561 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

yeah, and Stern is not innovating at all; in fact they are putting less and less on the pf, and maintaining the practice of releasing games with basic/incomplete code, if ST is any indication. They are just taking advantage of the noob 'collectors' who pay ridiculous premiums for cheap accessorizing. And they are on a production schedule to crank out the next licensed game on time, not trying to move pinball forward. All well and good, but I'll still give an innovative new pinball platform/company/system some slack for their first effort. And it looks like the Hobbit is even revamping a lot of stuff learned from the WOZ design/production.

Lots of innovation on Star Trek, and it's code was much more complete at launch than some recent Stern's.

#562 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Hey, you'll get no argument from me when referencing STLE like this, lol. I saw it as a huge disappointment but some folks seem to love it.

Some? Most.....

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

When I look at that picture, after filtering it a bit, I could see Smaugs head in the upper left corner, with his body in the upper right covering the pops, and tail running down the right side of the machine.

smaug.jpg 55 KB

Jack said at TPF that the Smaug mech would be on top of a mountain. I think Smaug and the mountain are all contained in the upper left corner.

#564 9 years ago

Jack said he wouldn't ship WoZ without unfinished code, too...

#565 9 years ago

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Jack said at TPF that WOZ had 17 unused drivers on it's board. The Hobbit, which will use the same board, will be using up all of them!

#566 9 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Looking good. I am wondering if there will be some "Shadow" like ramp action since there will be extra buttons (if I understood Jack's seminar speech right?) and those ramps looks like they could have diverter options on them?
Would be fun if that is the case.

The return of dual action flipper button ala RFM/SWEp1
Lots of player controlled stuff going on in this game

#567 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Lets not forget Stern was a startup when others were crapping out and dying off.If Stern did not keep things going JJP would never gotten off the ground.

#568 9 years ago

The honeymoon is fading.. I'm agreeing more and more with the "seems like work" post. Rule changes are needed to keep ST(LE) interesting. Right now you have missions (one at a time), Klingon MB and the Vengeance modes (only one of which is worth playing). Starting to feel linear and repetitive, especially with the same quotes in the same spots for the same shots over and over. Bring on Urban and an expansion of simultaneous features we can have running!

#569 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Lots of player controlled stuff going on in this game

yep! that that is exciting loved this on the shadow.

#570 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Lets not forget Stern was a startup when others were crapping out and dying off.If Stern did not keep things going JJP would never gotten off the ground.

Not a startup, just a continuation from Sega. Data East/Sega/Stern...same company, different owners, all ran by Gary Stern.

#571 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The honeymoon is fading.. I'm agreeing more and more with the "seems like work" post. Rule changes are needed to keep ST(LE) interesting. Right now you have missions (one at a time), Klingon MB and the Vengeance modes (only one of which is worth playing). Starting to feel linear and repetitive, especially with the same quotes in the same spots for the same shots over and over. Bring on Urban and an expansion of simultaneous features we can have running!

Yes, but we know this update is coming. Stern has not been keeping us in the dark on this one. Ritchie has been vocal on here as well as in person that the next update is more than just Urban's call outs.

It's not like the game has been abandoned, and the honeymoon is fading.....

#572 9 years ago

Oh I know they haven't abandoned it, but at the moment we're playing it less and less... it needs a second honeymoon

#573 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Oh I know they haven't abandoned it, but at the moment we're playing it less and less... it needs a second honeymoon

I'm still in complete infatuation! By the time I buy it, the next release will be out!

#574 9 years ago

Jack said he wouldn't ship WoZ without unfinished code, too...

Hey at least the code is now done and has a deep ruleset unlike many other modern games. WOZ also sounds like the most complex pin Keith ever worked on which makes having complete code for WOZ even more impressive.

#575 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hey at least the code is now done and has a deep ruleset unlike many other modern games. WOZ also sounds like the most complex pin Keith ever worked on which makes having complete code for WOZ even more impressive.

Preaching to the choir, my man. I love the game.

#576 9 years ago

Preaching to the choir, my man. I love the game.

Haha, same here. I'm just glad the code did get finished for the game. I remember emailing Jack a year ago about if WOZ would have a deep ruleset and he simply replied with "One word...Keith!".

#577 9 years ago

Can you JJP fans just enjoy your games without constantly taking shots at Stern and people who buy them? You're really getting irritating. You really have no high ground here, your code took forever to get finished, and people who ordered the game 3 years ago still don't have it. So climb down off your high horses and stop being so smug. Your attitude is half the reason these ridiculous us vs them arguments always derail threads.

Keefer is great, he also coded a bunch of games from the company you can't seem to mention without grimacing, that kept pinball alive so Jack could even start his company. Let it go already.

#578 9 years ago

I've read a fair bit recently about social order amongst baboons. It is remarkably transferable to our pinball community!

#579 9 years ago

I think the giant Smaug is the real deal. It makes so much sense.

#580 9 years ago

Is this the Hobbit update topic???

tumblr_n1mqa1y5AL1qkhtkto1_500.giftumblr_n1mqa1y5AL1qkhtkto1_500.gif

#581 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I think the giant Smaug is the real deal. It makes so much sense.

But his body would be covering up too much....like the pops.

Plus Jack said the toy is Smaug on a mountain.

#582 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you JJP fans just enjoy your games without constantly taking shots at Stern.

+1000 and it goes both ways. Why is it that people feel the need to take sides in everything? Enjoy the variety!

#583 9 years ago

smaug.jpg 55 KB

Having Smaug laying all over the board is a killer idea!

**Props where props are due!**

#584 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yep, it's where we've been ever since the Williams shut down and that's not gonna change. Thank goodness for JJP and others.

Disagree with this. As recently as 5-6 years ago, Stern was putting out games with more variety, custom toys/mechs, etc. Stuf like WPT with 16 drop targets plus flow, mini-pf with jail bars, etc. SM with nice combo of villain mechs (Doc Ock, Sandman). Tons of toys and new layout on games like TSPP and FG. Nice use of diverters plus magnet ring, balrog toy, etc. on LOTR. Things seem more rehashed/cookie-cutter at Stern more recently.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Lots of innovation on Star Trek, and it's code was much more complete at launch than some recent Stern's.

We're gonna have to disagree on this. Innovation on ST? 3 flippers--old news. 3 ramps--*yawn* seen it before. a single drop target with a magnet and kicker. That's the only interactive thing on the entire pf to shoot at. The Vengeance? LOL. Remove Sparky, add spaceship, and you have that same effect we saw on AFM about 18 years ago. Display? The cheezy cartoony DMD graphics are no better than what we saw on the first DMD games over 20 years ago. And if you claim that pretty colored blinking lights are "innnovative," well, refer back to my comment regarding Stern taking advantage of noobs. As for code, those "18" modes (LOL) are just 6 modes done over and over, and the 6 modes are pretty interchangeable, not distinctive at all. A real woodchopping fest, those modes are.

Quoted from ek77:

Nope. As pointed out above, Stern is the same company as Sega and Data East beforethat, same hardware platforms, same factory and assembly lines, all st up on well-established design and production cycles. Check your pinball history.

OTOH (back on topic!), JJP was a true startup from scratch, no factory, no hardware or software/control platform, no suppliers/vendors in place, just a buncha guys with some key industry experience. My biggest dilemma right now is whether to get a MMR which I really like) or cancel that and get a Hobbit instead. Similar price point, but I don't have room for both. Hobbit is looking darned good these days....

#585 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

My biggest dilemma right now is whether to get a MMR which I really like) or cancel that and get a Hobbit instead. Similar price point, but I don't have room for both. Hobbit is looking darned good these days....

No problem, get the MMr when it comes out. Enjoy the NIB MM experience, then sell it (or something else) to get the Hobbit if it looks really good.

#586 9 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Having Smaug laying all over the board is a killer idea!
**Props where props are due!**

Who's making the 4 legs / 2 wings mod so we can have a real dragon too and not a large wyvern?

#587 9 years ago

Steven P, I am a huge supporter and fan of JJP. I believe Hobbit will be a huge success and I covet it more than any other pinball. But you are wrong about Star Trek LE. The modes need some improving, but there is something incredible about this game. Once the new code hits, it's top 5 forever. The flow, lighting, sounds and excitement are unparalleled. It is the best of everything Stern has been doing for the past 10 years.

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

We're gonna have to disagree on this. Innovation on ST? 3 flippers--old news. 3 ramps--*yawn* seen it before. a single drop target with a magnet and kicker. That's the only interactive thing on the entire pf to shoot at. The Vengeance? LOL. Remove Sparky, add spaceship, and you have that same effect we saw on AFM about 18 years ago. Display? The cheezy cartoony DMD graphics are no better than what we saw on the first DMD games over 20 years ago. And if you claim that pretty colored blinking lights are "innnovative," well, refer back to my comment regarding Stern taking advantage of noobs. As for code, those "18" modes (LOL) are just 6 modes done over and over, and the 6 modes are pretty interchangeable, not distinctive at all. A real woodchopping fest, those modes are.

AFM UFO doesn't crash or send the ball flying back at high speed. It's a joke compared to battling the Vengeance. The 60+ tri-color LED's are amazing and well coded so far. The overall light show is vastly superior to the dimness that is WOZ Not for noobs only. The laser starfield is also a first, and really enhances the light show. Each of the 18 modes has their own animated story, and the playfield actions to progress that story can and will be improved with code.

#589 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Nope. As pointed out above, Stern is the same company as Sega and Data East beforethat, same hardware platforms, same factory and assembly lines, all st up on well-established design and production cycles. Check your pinball history.

OTOH (back on topic!), JJP was a true startup from scratch, no factory, no hardware or software/control platform, no suppliers/vendors in place, just a buncha guys with some key industry experience. My biggest dilemma right now is whether to get a MMR which I really like) or cancel that and get a Hobbit instead. Similar price point, but I don't have room for both. Hobbit is looking darned good these days....

Well that must be why Stern put out ten games in there first three years and JJP is still on game one.

#590 9 years ago

For the record IMHO it's equally pointless to try and belittle WOZ while talking about your Stern, be it Star Trek or otherwise. It's all pinball, stop choosing sides like you're a bunch of kids arguing about PS4 v Xbox. Lots of us would love to own both. Because we like pinball, not brands and companies.

#591 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For the record IMHO it's equally pointless to try and belittle WOZ while talking about your Stern, be it Star Trek or otherwise. It's all pinball, stop choosing sides like you're a bunch of kids arguing about PS4 v Xbox. Lots of us would love to own both. Because we like pinball, not brands and companies.

PS4 is the clear choice.

#592 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

PS4 is the clear choice.

Muppets???

haha

#593 9 years ago

atari > intellivision

#594 9 years ago

I wouldn't be calling JJP a Ferrari. Far from it. It's more like GM fighting with Ford at this point. Or one might be a lexus, but neither are anywhere close to Ferrari status.

#595 9 years ago

smaug.jpg 55 KB

Wow that would be insane. Sort of like the Scared Stiff Dragon. I would love that.

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Wow that would be insane. Sort of like the Scared Stiff Dragon. I would love that.

Sorry but a character that big covering a third of the pf is a pipe dream. At most it will be a toy that will swallow balls or a toy with a tail that will act as a diverter.

#597 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Is this the Hobbit update topic???

Should be, but typical BS on and on, and since it is, I'll take SM over ST every day and 10 times on Sunday. ST isn't even close to being Stern's best and its boring. Just my opinion.

As for the Hobbit, the thread topic, loving the video clip updates and the layout "looks" unique and different, which is what I like, looking forward to this theme. Hopefully in home this time next year, sitting next to a new TWD.

#599 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Muppets???
haha

Outer Limits?

Ken

#600 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I wouldn't be calling JJP a Ferrari. Far from it. It's more like GM fighting with Ford at this point. Or one might be a lexus, but neither are anywhere close to Ferrari status.

Given the electrical problems lets go with Jaguar.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.