Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 201.
#5701 4 years ago

Not really understand that anti china sentiment.

They stepped up massively. They have good and bad supliers, just like in the rest of the world.

#5702 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Good to hear minimal stuff coming from China. Big thumbs up.

Yeah... Because manufacturing in the U.S. Automatically = quality & long term success!

(Insert photo of Detriot looking like Beirut- without the glitz)

#5703 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Posted on the JJP Google group a few hours ago by JJP:
We learned a lot with this license.
Doing a movie series that has not been released is something we will not do again. Sure if there are 2 in the bag and one more - OK - but all three not done - too many IP assets that are not available to you to make something that is complete.

Didn't jack just allude to the fact that he's got the Star Wars Licence??? Isn't Star Wars the exact situation all over again, all three new movies not yet released and IP assets may not be available.

I don't get it

QSS

#5704 4 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Didn't jack just allude to the fact that he's got the Star Wars Licence??? Isn't Star Wars the exact situation all over again, all three new movies not yet released and IP assets may not be available.
I don't get it
QSS

Well, maybe the "unless there are 2 in the bag" is meant to suggest he won't do the SW pin until AFTER episode 8 is released waiting on episode 9. Frankly that's about how long it wold take them to get to JJP#4 or 5 anyways....

#5705 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yeah... Because manufacturing in the U.S. Automatically = quality & long term success!
(Insert photo of Detriot looking like Beirut- without the glitz)

I'm from Michigan and work in Detroit and can tell you that we make some of the best vehicles in the world. The big 3 have stepped it up big time over the past 5 years in terms of quality. Also, Detroit itself is coming back which has been great to see. I've noticed the city improving heavily over the past 5 years. Detroit still has a long way to go but the recovery now has momentum and positive changes are happening all the time.

#5706 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Well, maybe the "unless there are 2 in the bag" is meant to suggest he won't do the SW pin until AFTER episode 8 is released waiting on episode 9. Frankly that's about how long it wold take them to get to JJP#4 or 5 anyways....

OR maybe they have the licence to do the pin for just the next movie, and plan on releasing next year-ish? Who knows... the timing seems screwed up for that (i.e. if that is the plan it would make more sense for it to be JJP3...).

But it is fun to even be able to speculate on that. I think we all know what a Stern SWLE would look like at this point. It would probably not be bad, but likely not be something to get crazy excited about either at what will probably be a 10K price point by the end of the year...

#5707 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm from Michigan and work in Detroit and can tell you that we make some of the best vehicles in the world. The big 3 have stepped it up big time over the past 5 years in terms of quality. Also, Detroit itself is coming back which has been great to see. I've noticed the city improving heavily over the past 5 years. Detroit still has a long way to go but the recovery now has momentum and positive changes are happening all the time.

I made an unfair dig at Detroit about Quality. quality isn't the problem.

The greater problem is the public and private unions that have bankrupted the city. Add in the white flight issues and you have a disaster.

Demographics= destiny.

#5708 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think we all know what a Stern SWLE would look like at this point. It would probably not be bad, but likely not be something to get crazy excited about either at what will probably be a 10K price point by the end of the year...

One thing we know is that a Stern Star Wars pin would be a narrow body and probably given to a very experienced playfield/software design team. Half of me still wants JJP to get Star Wars and do it up with video, etc. The other half (growing steadily as I sit stewing waiting for my Hobbit) is starting to think I wouldn't mind Stern getting the licence, and getting a fast hard playing narrow body pin 1 year from now instead of 4 years from now.

10K forget that, I won't pay that to either company for any pin. Keep it between 7 and 8K or I'm out (and I imagine a lot of others would be too whatever they say on pinside).

#5709 4 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

One thing we know is that a Stern Star Wars pin would be a narrow body and probably given to a very experienced playfield/software design team. Half of me still wants JJP to get Star Wars and do it up with video, etc. The other half (growing steadily as I sit stewing waiting for my Hobbit) is starting to think I wouldn't mind Stern getting the licence, and getting a fast hard playing narrow body pin 1 year from now instead of 4 years from now.
10K forget that, I won't pay that to either company for any pin. Keep it between 7 and 8K or I'm out (and I imagine a lot of others would be too whatever they say on pinside).

Jack just said he wouldn't want to do another movie related film with assets he couldn't use until X date. So star wars might not work

#5710 4 years ago

Better that Stern does the first film, if JJP is doing well and making pins after the next 2 films years from now then JJP for the trilogy but the ultimate for me would JJP doing the classic Trilogy that most of us grew up on.

#5711 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Better that Stern does the first film, if JJP is doing well and making pins after the next 2 films years from now then JJP for the trilogy but the ultimate for me would JJP doing the classic Trilogy that most of us grew up on.

That could be a thing; who knows, a surprise JJP 4 Original Trilogy SW pin timed for release-ish near the start of the next trilogy. Would be relevant on location for years, much longer than The Hobbit IMO.

Now that I type that out, I would much rather be my company on this idea rather than Lawlor's unlicenced table, but its not my company to bet (IF I was in charge at JJP, instead of WoZ you would have got a marginally updated MM clone or licenced sequel... low risk but low impact in terms of dreams... ).

#5713 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Not really understand that anti china sentiment.
They stepped up massively. They have good and bad supliers, just like in the rest of the world.

They do have good suppliers, but they also have limited legal recourse as far as Americans are concerned.

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I don't get it
QSS

I'm sure if he has the license it would be for just the first movie, not the entire trilogy.

#5714 4 years ago

Anyone else notice TigerLaw spelled license correctly? That's totally uabseptakle.

#5715 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm sure if he has the license it would be for just the first movie, not the entire trilogy.

That would make a lot more sense.

QSS

#5716 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Wishful thinking and the words of a proven liar?

Quoted from SadSack:

but he has repeatedly been proven to be a liar and that is one description he will never shake.

Quoted from SadSack:

I have nothing against Jack

I think you're an a$$hole....but I have nothing against you...

#5717 4 years ago

I got a chance to see something pretty special a few weeks ago while on a family vacation in Britain. This is the original dust-jacket design for The Hobbit (book), illustrated by J.R.R. Tolkien himself back in 1937.

320.JPG

323.JPG

This piece was on display in the Bodleian Library’s 'Marks of Genius' exhibition at Oxford University, where Tolkien was a professor until his retirement in 1959.

Just a few feet away in the same exhibit were several other highly recognizable treasures, including the Magna Carta and the Gutenberg Bible!

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2015/04/tolkien-part-of-new-bodleian-marks-of-genius-exhibition/
http://genius.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/exhibits/browse/dust-jacket-design-for-the-hobbit/

During our trip, we also visited the house where Tolkien lived from 1930 to 1947 (20 Northmoor Road in Oxford). Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and most of The Lord of the Rings in the drawing room of this building, which has been given protected status by the British government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/4034751.stm

341.JPG

340.JPG

My son (3rd photo above) is a HUGE Tolkien fanboy, so this trip was very special for him. He scheduled the entire itinerary for those two days in Oxford, so we ended up hitting a bunch of items on his Tolkien bucket list.

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1053-fifteen-places-tolkien-fans-should-visit-before-they-die.php

#5718 4 years ago

That's really, really cool. Thanks for sharing.

"I got a chance to see something pretty special a few weeks ago while on a family vacation in Britain. This is the original dust-jacket design for The Hobbit (book), illustrated by J.R.R. Tolkien himself back in 1937"

#5719 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

There is a reason the smartest guys in the room are hated.

You botched the saying, I believe it's actually "there's a reason guys who refer to themselves as 'the smartest guys in the room' are hated." Which there is, and they are.

#5720 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I got a chance to see something pretty special a few weeks ago while on a family vacation in Britain.

VERY cool! Thanks!!

#5721 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think you're an a$$hole....but I have nothing against you...

Perhaps you should consider that someone's status WRT truth-telling can be independent of their likeability or respectability.

Look how people still like you after you cost them thousands by lying as Kevin's unknowing agent.

I admire your child-like nature of seeing things in black and white dichotomies.

#5722 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I made an unfair dig at Detroit about Quality. quality isn't the problem.
The greater problem is the public and private unions that have bankrupted the city. Add in the white flight issues and you have a disaster.
Demographics= destiny.

White flight? Socioecomonics, more like.

#5723 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Look how people still like you

Please just refer to my first comment which many people seem to agree with...
Get a life!

#5724 4 years ago

Hoping the production version of THE HOBBIT will be at allentown

#5725 4 years ago

Anyone know when these are going to start hitting the production line?

#5726 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Hoping the production version of THE HOBBIT will be at allentown

Yes, I want to play Hobbit and Pinball Circus...

#5727 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I want to play Hobbit and Pinball Circus...

Lucky you. In my case if I want to play Pinball circus, I guess I will have to buy it !

#5728 4 years ago

Where the hell is Jack? He could put a end to all these rumors if he would. I got out because I didn't like the design of the game and I thought the pf was just plain ugly but I would be worried if I still had money on this.

#5729 4 years ago

I'm not worried. Jack has proven he can put out a pin, fix any issues with that pin, and finalize code for it. He's also proven that he listens to potential customers and modifies the product to suit. Has this cost him some delays? Sure, but that is to be expected. I'm much more comfortable with TH compared to a lot of other pins out there. That includes Stern, which sometimes does not fix code on some of their machines for a long time, if ever. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but action speaks louder than
Words, and I've been happy with JJPs actions.
Stern is good too, and I have been happy with them with the exception of code updates. The others, I'm not sold on yet. I'm not a high risk person though.

#5730 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Where the hell is Jack?

In New Jersey. Getting ready for Allentown.

LTG : )

#5731 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

At the TPF Butch Peel said late May. I believe that Jack and the JJP team will ship a great game once again. My conversations with Jack and Butch at TPF increased my optimism that they are progressing according to their post-Expo plan and are very happy with the pin and state of the software they will ship.

#5732 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I would be worried if I still had money on this.

I do, and not worried.

#5733 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I got a chance to see something pretty special a few weeks ago while on a family vacation in Britain. This is the original dust-jacket design for The Hobbit (book), illustrated by J.R.R. Tolkien himself back in 1937.
320.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
323.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
This piece was on display in the Bodleian Library’s 'Marks of Genius' exhibition at Oxford University, where Tolkien was a professor until his retirement in 1959.
Just a few feet away in the same exhibit were several other highly recognizable treasures, including the Magna Carta and the Gutenberg Bible!
http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2015/04/tolkien-part-of-new-bodleian-marks-of-genius-exhibition/
http://genius.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/exhibits/browse/dust-jacket-design-for-the-hobbit/
During our trip, we also visited the house where Tolkien lived from 1930 to 1947 (20 Northmoor Road in Oxford). Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and most of The Lord of the Rings in the drawing room of this building, which has been given protected status by the British government.
341.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
340.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
My son (3rd photo above) is a HUGE Tolkien fanboy, so this trip was very special for him. He scheduled the entire itinerary for those two days in Oxford, so we ended up hitting a bunch of items on his Tolkien bucket list.
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1053-fifteen-places-tolkien-fans-should-visit-before-they-die.php

My dad has an edition with that dust jacket...maybe it's a first? I'll have to check.

#5734 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

My dad has an edition with that dust jacket...maybe it's a first? I'll have to check.

Oh, sweet! Post some pics if he does.

Check out this one on eBay, which was signed by Tolkien, and is listed for US $28,445.00!

ebay.com link » The Hobbit 1937 1st Ed 1st Printing With Dust Jacket Signed By J R R Tolkien

#5735 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If you can't get your hands on an original this is a great one to have on hand. (I own it, and it is really nice)

amazon.com link »

#5736 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I've lived in Oxford twice for a total of something like six and a half years. It's my favorite place on Earth. Our good friends lived in C. S. Lewis's old house (The Kilns), where Tolkien often visited. There is a woods immediately next door to the house where they sometimes walked. You go there now and it feels a bit like Middle Earth (or Narnia; take your pick). Numerous scenes from the Harry Potter movies were filmed in my college, and the dining hall in the films is a copy. What a great place.

#5737 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Oh, sweet! Post some pics if he does.
Check out this one on eBay, which was signed by Tolkien, and is listed for US $28,445.00!
ebay.com link » The Hobbit 1937 1st Ed 1st Printing With Dust Jacket Signed By J R R Tolkien

I definitely have to check now! I doubt it's a first...more likely a second.

#5738 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If you can't get your hands on an original this is a great one to have on hand. (I own it, and it is really nice)
amazon.com link »

Agreed, got this for Christmas last year and it's awesome, lots of great details/background in the annotations, which are integrated with the story text in a nice way. If nothing else it's worth a look for the various international edition illustrations (and Tolkien's dismal responses to all of them).

#5739 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

amazon.com link »

Nice. I may have to get that one. I have this one and like it a lot, it's made very well.

amazon.com link »

#5740 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

320.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
323.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
341.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
340.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Very cool. Have you checked out the Tolkien manuscript collection at Marquette University in Milwaukee? It is only a couple hours away from you.

http://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/tolkien.shtml

#5741 4 years ago

Could we get this thread back on topic please? I don't know WHY anybody would post travelogues about places they've been in a Hobbit update thread. Unheard of.

#5742 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Could we get this thread back on topic please? I don't know WHY anybody would post travelogues about places they've been in a Hobbit update thread. Unheard of.

Hey, they have to talk about something while they wait again and again and again for this game to be made.....

#5743 4 years ago

At least it's about the hobbit and not more of that mud slinging...

#5744 4 years ago

Taking 7 hours to drive and see the Hobbit tomorrow in Allentown...I hope it's a good show. Although at first glance, they don't seem to have all of the big vendors or big modders there...

#5745 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Taking 7 hours to drive and see the Hobbit tomorrow in Allentown...I hope it's a good show. Although at first glance, they don't seem to have all of the big vendors or big modders there...

Yeah...but I'll be there. That should be good enough for most folks.

#5746 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

You can ask Jack himself Friday or Saturday.

#5747 4 years ago

Curious to see what the differences are on the new pre-production machine from all the earlier prototypes. What will move, be added hardware, plastic and art wise.

#5748 4 years ago

I am hoping for a last minute Bag End toy - and possibly a better gold pile?

#5749 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am hoping for a last minute Bag End toy - and possibly a better gold pile?

So many jokes here.

Must...refrain...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside