Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 201.
#5351 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

From the schematic above, it looks like the same left outlane as Woz, which means moving the rail.

I see what your saying, however that schematic is old. The rail moving as shown in the original idea was caused by a rotating cam.

It looks like the rail is now stationary.

#5352 4 years ago

Huh... I much prefer the VUK return wireforms from the video as opposed to the current version. Mustn't have worked well or something? Sorry if I'm late to this realization...

VUK.PNG

#5353 4 years ago

At least we're talking about the game again...but we have circled back to talking about the third flipper for the umpteenth time. It's a bummer it doesn't have a dedicated shot, sure, but it will make shots that are blocked by pop-ups and the kickback to flipper shot and the combo shots that do things. Hey, is it perfect? No, but it is what it is. If you'd rather not have it don't flip it. Disable that coil, ya wieners!

#5354 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I totally agree. We've really seen nothing on how the drop targets will be coded & utilized for the different modes, other than this old test mode video.

» YouTube video

I just don't buy the argument that there's just nothing to shoot at on this pin. It's an absurd statement to me.

There are 3 banks of 11 individually controlled drop targets, with standup targets behind them. These can be controlled as an actual target, or can be programmed to popup & block your shot at the targets behind them. They can also block your shot to the VUKs. As seen in the test video, they can move extremely fast. One single drop can dart quickly across the playfield as an incredibly difficult target to hit for a skill shot. The variations are endless, and will provide COUNTLESS unique shots for the modes, depending on how they're programmed.

There are 2 spinner loops, 2 ramps, 2 VUKs and 1 captive ball....all which have both arrow & scroll inserts which can be lit for different mode shots. There potential there for multiple modes running & stacking. Similar to LOTR, you can start a mode, and then be required to hit multiple specific ramps, VUKs, etc to score jackpots & complete the mode, or make a shot to extend the mode timer.

Then there's the 4 popup targets, which can be used for timed hurry up shots, or popup randomly to block your shots to the ramps, drops, etc. There's huge potential there, especially when used in conjunction with the controlled drop targets. There's also the 4 lock rollovers, which can be programmed to light as specific targets, in addition to lighting the ball locks. There's also the mystery standup target, and also the shot into Bag End & the pops. Don't forget about the kickback either, and how it may be integrated with a shot to the upper right flipper for a Smaug killshot.

Plus Smaug should have a part in controlling the loop ramp diverter, the 2 magnets at the top of the loops, and the subway underneath to work against you to interfere with your shots, or randomly effect where the ball will appear.

And we just heard about the Ring Button, which will add even more depth to helping complete your shots and launching the windlance.

Sorry for running on......but to me, this pin has the potential to be the ultimate shooting man's pin, with an incredible depth of shot variations. By my count there are nearly 40 individual targets to shoot in this game. How is that nothing to shoot at? I guess if there was a simple big Smaug bash toy some would be happier. But that's not me. I'm a thinking man who loves a challenge. Give me a variety of targets. I find the thought of being under pressure to make all these different shots exciting! I love machines that put my meager skills to the test, provide incredible depth of play. It can kick my ass & keeps me coming back for more. And if there's a mythical hidden mode on the Hobbit like Valinor Multiball, then I'll never get rid of my machine until I reach it.

To me this much is clear......The Hobbit is going to be an incredibly unique & challenging experience. Keith has to be thrilled to get another chance to dive into Middle Earth, and create an experience that surpasses his outstanding work on LOTR. The first shipment can't come soon enough. Keep up the good work JJP!

From that video of the drop target test you can see the initial design of the vertical up kickers. They were positioned launching the ball forward instead of sideways...that would have made for a very quick ball return...wonder why that was canned...

#5355 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Huh... I much prefer the VUK return wireforms from the video as opposed to the current version. Mustn't have worked well or something? Sorry if I'm late to this realization...
VUK.PNG (Click image to enlarge)

I wish they would use those wireforms too - perhaps I can buy them and coat them to match. I really like those a lot better. They went with the others to show more PF art probably and re-use the same that are on WOZ to reduce costs?

#5356 4 years ago

Are there any videos or pics specifying what the Windlance is and what it does? I keep hearing it mentioned but cant figure it out.

#5357 4 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Are there any videos or pics specifying what the Windlance is and what it does? I keep hearing it mentioned but cant figure it out.

It's just the kickback. There is a post that pops up and holds the ball at the kickback.

#5358 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Why on Earth does everyone think 30 modes will be so awesome? 30 modes of the same handful of shots over and over again. There's only so much you can do with minimal things to shoot at. They need to completely scrap the whole upper right of the game. I know it will never happen but it should have when the game was on the drawing board and the first "the upper flipper is useless" remark went up waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning. That's been IGNORED since day one… why??? OR why not put something on the left for it to shoot at like a scoop, Troll, ramp anything?
Right now its a mess; useless flipper, some pop bumpers, a hole and an LCD book that is completely redundant (gobs of info already on giant LCD).
I know that making pinball is "HARD" but Jack had feedback from the start about these issues and IGNORED them. Adding more lights, video and sound makes a turd shinier but its still a turd.

Why is it that everybody with this picture as an avatar makes really douchey anti-JJP posts?

#5359 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

20 months ago.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
The upper flipper(s).
Useless then…
Useless now.

Like your posts.

And the upper flipper is used to kill Smaug. Sorry you didn't order one???

#5360 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Like your posts.

The good news is that they are still available for order. So you can get one...or go to the hobbit update thread and tell everyone you think it sucks really really bad over and over...

#5361 4 years ago

By the way, 30 modes isn't that great - there should be 50 or don't bother. And the pinball needs to be really fu#(* fast!

#5362 4 years ago

Hey knobgobbler, FYI I'm paid in full for an SE. Just disappointed how this thing is turning out.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why is it that everybody with this picture as an avatar makes really douchey anti-JJP posts?

#5363 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Like your posts.

If I didnt have one on order I wouldn't care.

#5364 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Hey knobgobbler, FYI I'm paid in full for an SE. Just disappointed how this thing is turning out.

Hey, man...it was only ONE knob, and I was in prison. What did you expect me to do?

PS - I'm not exactly doing cartwheels, but it certainly doesn't suck by any stretch of the imagination.

#5365 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, man...it was only ONE knob, and I was in prison. What did you expect me to do?

Ha ha! Nice.

#5366 4 years ago

I love how the popup monsters can be hit from the top and the side. So much about this game is impressing me.

#5367 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I love how the popup monsters can be hit from the top and the side. So much about this game is impressing me.

Popup Monster! That's what my wife calls me

#5368 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The upper flipper(s).
Useless then…
Useless now.

STFU (shut the flip up) already, we heard you.....

#5369 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

PACMAN said:Why on Earth does everyone think 30 modes will be so awesome?

Due to JJP having two of the best programmers in the industry working on the code for The Hobbit. Keith Johnson and Ted Estes.

You can indeed make a lot of various modes with just the same amount of possible shots (even though 30 may be a lot). Besides that, there's Jean-Pauls animations as well: more different modes means more different animations (and sounds too), so maybe some modes will look alike, you still get other call-outs and animations.

#5370 4 years ago

30 plus Hobbit modes will probably work because they have such strong thematic support for each one. The story and video support for each one should inspire a good mode and inspire fans to complete the mode. Also each mode has an original orchestral track from Two Steps From Hell and speech from the films. The key to successful modes is to use all the targets in a way that will allow players to feel progress as they go through the mode, using sound effects and speech/callouts. It has to be clear and guided by voice commands and the video. The reason that Stern Star Trek has shitty modes is there is a disconnect between the DMD animations and the shots. The screen says "land on the platform" and the Playfield lights up five shots which you have to shoot all or some or who the frack knows how many in some unknown period of time. If you succeed or fail it doesn't seem to matter and making the shots seems to not be relevant to completing the task. I think the Hobbit will not be like this. If they let you know what each successful shot accomplishes it will be a home run.

#5371 4 years ago

Any mode based game is going to get boring after time, I don't care what pin it is. I loved my STLE but after a year and achieving the final mode I was done with it, The Hobbit will be the same but I've said it before its a game and all games become boring eventually. The Hobbit looks great and 30 modes is a plus for sure rather than any kind of minus, however if your looking at it in terms of longevity then very few pins are keepers, unless you have unlimited space and money or ofcourse a magical theme that really captures you (even though I haven't played and unless it turns out terrible Aliens LE is most likely a keeper), TWDLE as well but thats more a theme thing than gameplay. The issue regarding sparse playfield is just plain garbage, MB which is loaded with stuff became tedious in a few short weeks for me but AFM lasted a year. Its taken me 5 years of buying and selling pins (60+) to realize my real passion lies in the 80's era, they seem to have more lastibility than any other for the sheer fact that they challenge you but marathon games and wizard modes are non-existent, great for a quick game and quick fun. JMO mind you and 2 coffee's has me babbling. Later

#5372 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Really? I'm surprised it's not "troll."

#5373 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Are sure she's calling you that or something else attached to you? Mmmmm

#5374 4 years ago

Of all the things I "worry about" too many modes ISNT one of them.

Perhaps that would get unweildy in a traditional game, but I think JJP's slick integration with the LCD makes all that FAR more manageable.

Also, with a somewhat simple PF, more modes = more variety, right? Whats the downside?

#5375 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic New England has teamed up with Project Pinball and Jersey Jack Pinball to bring you the first ever JJP Sweepstakes! You have a 1 and 200 chance to win a brand new Hobbit Standard or WOZ Standard. It's your choice! Greatest thing about this is we can put as many WOZ into New England children's hospital as we can.
Winners will be drawn live at Pintadtic New England on July 11th at 5pm! It took a lot of work but it was a labor of love for us. We would like to give a huge thank you to my good friend Jack Guarneiri!
Click here to enter http://www.pintasticnewengland.com/win-a-new-pinball-machine-.html

First sweepstakes is half sold out in 4 days! Let's bring some smiles to these kids!

#5376 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The upper flipper(s).
Useless then…
Useless now.

You forgot this

smaug.png
#5377 4 years ago

Perhaps PACMAN is bitter over losing his money on Predator, which he lists in his gameroom, and is taking it out on Hobbit.

#5378 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Perhaps PACMAN is bitter over losing his money on Predator, which he lists in his gameroom, and is taking it out on Hobbit.

Ya' THINK???

#5379 4 years ago

VIDEO MODE on The Hobbit?.?.?.
Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

#5380 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

It's difficult for me to imagine a video mode that would add much value to the game unless it took a ton of resources to make.

So, I say NO. Better to spend those resources on game code and audio.

#5381 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

Please no! If I want to play a video game I can break out the Playstation or XBox.

#5382 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

VIDEO MODE on The Hobbit

This would be cool and I would love to see some video modes make a come back. But the cost and production work to get something like this in would be high.

#5383 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

Heh, the whole game is already a video mode.

#5384 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Perhaps or maybe I just don't want to get burned again, even if it's by a bitchen dragon.

#5385 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

They weren't allowed to touch video assets in any way. What are the chances they could get a dynamic video mode approved?

#5386 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

They weren't allowed to touch video assets in any way

That's not true at all...have you seen the animations? The extra ball animation where Gandalf breaks the rock...that's modified movie video. They just had to get approval.

#5387 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's not true at all...have you seen the animations? The extra ball animation where Gandalf breaks the rock...that's modified movie video. They just had to get approval.

I believe that clip as well as others were denied unless that recently changed.

JP from JJP talks about the modified video clips being denied by Peter Jackson in the video below.

#5388 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Ted Estes just indicated that the guy from the video (I posted earlier) is on the audition list and is being considered for the voice talent for the callouts. Yeah!

I really hope they don't go with this guy. He does an ok Gollum. He really doesn't sound like Gandalf though. The real test is for him to say lines that AREN'T from the film. Does he still sound like Sir Ian McKellen??!! I dot think so.

There have to be 1,000,000 guys who'd jump at the chance, and do a spot on Gandalf.

Not trying to be super negative. I just don't think this kid is the one.

#5389 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I believe that clip as well as others were denied unless that recently changed.
JP from JJP talks about the modified video clips being denied by Peter Jackson in the video below.
» YouTube video

Nevermind, lol. I see in the video that while some video clips were rejected the extra ball one with the rock splitting was approved. JJP can add animations on to the end of the clip but not alter a scene.

#5390 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wow! 31 modes excluding the hurry-ups and Smaug multiball! There should be PLENTY to do...as if there was any doubt.

31 modes may sound fun but will be far to easy or never seen so that it does not matter how they are. AC/DC has 12 modes and inless you are a presoon who reachs wizard mode two of the games on AC/DC what good is haveing 30 modes. I would rather have 12/15 chalanging modes then easy modes or know I will never see half my game.

#5391 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

31 modes may sound fun but will be far to easy or never seen so that it does not matter how they are. AC/DC has 12 modes and inless you are a presoon who reachs wizard mode two of the games on AC/DC what good is haveing 30 modes. I would rather have 12/15 chalanging modes then easy modes or know I will never see half my game.

I doubt the modes in TH will all be easy. While ACDC has 12 modes none of them are story based or feature unique dots for each of the required shots. The modes in The Hobbit are going to tell the events of the films with video progressing on the LCD of those events. Also, I like the feeling that I always have something to reach for or unlock something I've never seen when turning on a game. When dropping $7.5-$9k on a game I think a vast majority of players want a deep ruleset that will keep them coming back again and again.

#5392 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Really, now you're complaining about too much to do? This is Keith Johnson we're talking about here, not whoever coded ST! I think he has earned a little respect and slack here. Let's play it before judging, ok?

#5393 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Ted Estes just indicated that the guy from the video (I posted earlier) is on the audition list and is being considered for the voice talent for the callouts. Yeah!

Uh, shouldn't this be already done? The game was supposed to be shipping in December but got held back due to minor playfield changes, but callouts have nothing to do with that...these should have been recorded months ago. Seems very bizarre to have callout recording auditions 5 months after the game was supposed to initially ship.

#5394 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

So are you saying it is going to be too easy or too hard but not just right? I am a bit confused. Can you explain Rob?

#5395 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Uh, shouldn't this be already done? The game was supposed to be shipping in December but got held back due to minor playfield changes, but callouts have nothing to do with that...these should have been recorded months ago. Seems very bizarre to have callout recording auditions 5 months after the game was supposed to initially ship.

I'm guessing it's one of the last things to do...after figuring out the code. You need to know what you want the actor to say and that comes late in the game. Should it have been done already? Yeah, ideally. But it's not really surprising.

#5396 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Agreed. This is not the sign of a project that's remotely on schedule. So it goes, not throwing stones, just saying that it's not really reassuring to hear that we're this far in the game and they're just now looking for voice actors.

#5397 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed. This is not the sign of a project that's remotely on schedule. So it goes, not throwing stones, just saying that it's not really reassuring to hear that we're this far in the game and they're just now looking for voice actors.

True, but it shouldn't take too long to record and use voice actors - they could even be planning to add those touches after the games ships as software updates.

#5398 4 years ago

I understand the point, but how long did we wait for the Karl Urban call outs? The pin was released a long time before the additional voice work was done. I'd be happy to have subsequent upgrades for The Hobbit.

#5399 4 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I understand the point, but how long did we wait for the Karl Urban call outs? The pin was released a long time before the additional voice work was done. I'd be happy to have subsequent upgrades for The Hobbit.

I believe it took Stern around 6 months to release the update with Karl Urban callouts...After WOZ was released Keith and Ted cranked out nearly a dozen code updates in 6 months.

#5400 4 years ago

I can understand why people are raising a bit of hell about it being late, but here is my take on it: If they had finished the pin and are just waiting for parts or like causes for the delay I would be disappointed too, but they seem to be adding improvements to the game, getting actors for call outs (which I will be very appreciative of), and things like that. So if they are continuing to add value to the hobbit then I will wait. Within reason of course. Not sure where it the breaking point for me is yet. I would be surprised if it takes to the end of summer and after that I would give it the ole WTF? ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 21.00
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Prairie, WI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside