Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 201.
#5251 4 years ago

I agree, I don't mind the longer wait for a better hobbit.

On another note, did any hobbit fans happen to take any video or pics of the machine at the midwest gaming classic (MGC?). Apparently it had some new hardware on it.

#5252 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree, I don't mind the longer wait for a better hobbit.
On another note, did any hobbit fans happen to take any video or pics of the machine at the midwest gaming classic (MGC?). Apparently it had some new hardware on it.

New hardware eh? Interesting.

#5253 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

New hardware eh? Interesting.

Nothing major - Smaug has light up eyes, the popups have light up eyes (not sure if they are the same or lightly improved). Stuff like that...eye candy (no pun intended)

#5254 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Uh, why not just label it The Ring? Pretty obvious it's a button.

I would have preferred

The One Ring or Ring of Power.

But Ring Button is better than nothing I guess

#5255 4 years ago

Good to know.

Did you happen to ask Jack what the stupid upper flipper was for?

Quoted from michiganpinball:

Played the game at MPE when it was being set up the night before the show. I also played the game at Chicago Expo. IMO the game is a lot more engaging than the one at expo was (which is to be expected) but I was glad to see it has happened.
The interaction with the pop up trolls is intense and added a lot to the game. The display affects seem much sharper and cooler than the WOZ also. It seemed to play much faster than I would have expected a wide body to play. Unlike WOZ when it was at the stage it also appeared to be very reliable. According to Gary there was not a single issue over the 4 days of constant play. I was at the show the entire time and never saw it opened up. Butch was there but instead of having to work on the game he was working on the Hobbit manual on his laptop.
At expo I had doubts but now I think it will be a good. I do have one pre-ordered and am not worried. The drop targets that go up and down and the trolls and other stuff is enough for Keith to work his magic on. Compared to a Stern LE you are really getting a lot for your $.
I talked to Jack a bit also and his passion is still there as strong as ever. He wants to make the games and has the means to do it and proven that he can build games. I think we all have seen lately how hard a thing that is.

#5256 4 years ago

Looks like more incremental improvement.

IMO:
pop-up trolls = better than I expected
LCD = better than I expected (and I had HIGH expectations)
PF = while improved, still under expectations
Smaug= same as above.

Right now, I'm afraid the game will LOOK/sound much better than it actually plays (mostly talking about the fantastic LCD here). Still looking forward to PLAYING one!

One thing TH DOES make me increasingly optimistic about:
JJP #3..... and 4.

#5257 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder what happened with using Two Steps From Hell music for Smaug multiball?

It's still there. I just checked.

The amount of music created by TSFH for Hobbit has been overwhelming. Every mode and multiball has its own cue. The game contains more than 45 minutes of original composition.

Additionally, there are five variations of the licensed tune "Old Friends". (One by TSFH and the remainder by David Thiel.)

#5258 4 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

It's still there. I just checked.
The amount of music created by TSFH for Hobbit has been overwhelming. Every mode and multiball has its own cue. The game contains more than 45 minutes of original composition.
Additionally, there are five variations of the licensed tune "Old Friends". (One by TSFH and the remainder by David Thiel.)

Wow, that's great to hear. Thanks for the update! I didn't know that Two Steps From Hell did original composition work for TH. I thought all of their music being used was existing material. Awesome news.

#5259 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

eye candy (no pun intended)

LOL

#5260 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Nothing major - Smaug has light up eyes, the popups have light up eyes (not sure if they are the same or lightly improved).

I knew JJP was planning to add LEDs to Smaug's eyes...but the pop-ups? That's something I didn't know, but pleasantly surprised if it's true!

#5261 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I knew JJP was planning to add LEDs to Smaug's eyes...but the pop-ups? That something I didn't know, but pleasantly surprised if it's true!

I wonder if JJP can create an attract mode that has Smaug talking as soon as people walk by? Maybe that decal between the speakers on the head of cabinet that we thought was a camera is really a motion detector? Haha. I think that would be a great feature.

#5262 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if JJP can create an attract mode that has Smaug talking as soon as people walk by? Maybe that decal between the speakers on the head of cabinet that we thought was a camera is really a motion detector? Haha. I think that would be a great feature.

That would be very cool. Might even be a reason to keep the attract mode turned on (which I usually don't)

#5263 4 years ago

The audio on hobbit will be the bad ass when its done...

#5264 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The audio on hobbit will be the bad ass when its done...

I hope so. The major missing piece is the callouts ... and that is absolutely critical. A Gandalf sound-alike would be fabulous.

Jersey Jack doing an Orc impression would not be so fabulous.

#5265 4 years ago

I'm going to have this game for years. Jack was committed to delivering a game of high quality. Thank you Jack! The extra wait is well worth it.

#5266 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'm going to have this game for years. Jack was committed to delivering a game of high quality. Thank you Jack! The extra wait is well worth it.

Was? Does that mean he's not anymore?

#5267 4 years ago

So nobody posted video of the lit popups?

#5268 4 years ago

Sorry Pimp77, that "was" is definitely an "is"!

#5269 4 years ago

For the people bagging on the devs for taking a long time, keep in mind that they not only have to write pinball software, they also have to design and implement all the video components as well.

I'd say that increases the difficulty by a factor of ten at least. Getting it in 18 months when WMS took a full year to do a much more simplistic DMD game seems pretty reasonable to me.

#5270 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So nobody posted video of the lit popups?

Jack never mentioned lit eyes for the pop ups when I spoke with him at PinballStars party. He did though, go extremely out of his way to mention that Smaugs eyes would be lit.

#5271 4 years ago

Poor modders, will be nothing left to do for them
Im really looking foreward to getting mine now.
I will gladly wait, if it means they improved the game before release.
I would really feel ripped off if i waited a long time, just to find out they didnt do anything the last months.
I think its coming together now. Little more code, and we are there

#5272 4 years ago
Quoted from Pantor80:

Poor modders, will be nothing left to do for them

Yeah, because nobody has complained about bag end...
or the area behind the barrels...
or the missing barrel on the front pop...
or the lame book LCD casing...
or...

I have TH on pre-order, and I like a lot of the improvements they've made, but let's not pretend everything has exceeded expectations.

#5273 4 years ago

This was a message from Ted Estes on the JJP forums some info on the rules.

The grid in the middle of the screen keeps track of the 31 "Book Modes", each of which is tied to a scene in one of the three movies. Each Book Mode is qualified with one or more of: ELF, MAN, DWARF, Bilbo, Gandalf, Radagast. The lit qualifiers are shown in the center top of the screen. Some modes will only be available after other modes are played. The grid shows the state of each Book Mode: unavailable (dark/greyed out), available (lighter), played (colour w/border). The "lit" Book Mode is highlighted on the grid, and also shown on the book display.

The Beast Hurry-Up rule is separate from Book Modes. Same with spotting Dwarves and Smaug Multiball.

We are auditioning for a Gandalf sound-alike now to do the pinball-specific call outs.

#5274 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Jack never mentioned lit eyes for the pop ups when I spoke with him at PinballStars party. He did though, go extremely out of his way to mention that Smaugs eyes would be lit.

But there was "Beast GI Lighting" amongst other things announced 4 months ago.
I think that mean that the pop ups will lit up in any way...

Quoted from KingPinGames:

Yet to come for production:
+ New playfield art
+ Bumper 10pt switch between top and right (through-the-bumper shot)
+ New Playfield art
+ Beast GI lighting
+ Smaug™ eyes lighting (single color)
+ Laser-cut ramp gate with added GI lighting
+ Smaller axes on slings

#5275 4 years ago

I didn't notice anything different from the machine at MGC from the video posted a few pages back at the Michigan show, but then I wasn't looking.

#5276 4 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

The grid in the middle of the screen keeps track of the 31 "Book Modes", each of which is tied to a scene in one of the three movies. Each Book Mode is qualified with one or more of: ELF, MAN, DWARF, Bilbo, Gandalf, Radagast. The lit qualifiers are shown in the center top of the screen. Some modes will only be available after other modes are played. The grid shows the state of each Book Mode: unavailable (dark/greyed out), available (lighter), played (colour w/border). The "lit" Book Mode is highlighted on the grid, and also shown on the book display.
The Beast Hurry-Up rule is separate from Book Modes. Same with spotting Dwarves and Smaug Multiball.
We are auditioning for a Gandalf sound-alike now to do the pinball-specific call outs.

This message solidified my purchase. I am not looking back now. Thank you Ted

#5277 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

playfield layout counts for about 40%

Agree. ^^^ +1

In 2015, your number may be spot on at 40%, and unfortunately, I think it's my biggest concern about where modern pinball is at right now.

I can't speak to EM's, but early solid state pinball (1979-1985) used to be *primarily* about playfield layout -- "the physics".

I think this is why I'm so drawn to that early SS era of pinball -- there is such a variety in playfield layouts and rule sets, without leaning on more modern elements (fan layouts/ramps/LEDs/deep programming/music) to sell the game.

-mof

#5278 4 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Nice rules explanation. But how cool is it they are auditioning to let someone do custom call outs. Gandalf style whop whop whop whop Gandalf style

#5279 4 years ago

I think the gameplay from the Ohio show with the steeper slope, looks great.
Specifically, the ball flow INTO the in-lanes looks FLAWLESS.
And... I can't wait to learn how those drop targets feel. It's all about feel, and sweep-ability for me with drops.
-mof

#5280 4 years ago

They need this guy ...

#5281 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

They need this guy ... » YouTube video

Wow. Unbelievable. Thanks for posting that.

#5282 4 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Wow! 31 modes excluding the hurry-ups and Smaug multiball! There should be PLENTY to do...as if there was any doubt.

#5283 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Wow! This guy is talented, he's also an artist:

Web page and contact details here (for JJP):

http://quintonkappel.com/vocal-talent/

#5284 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Somebody should shoot him the info for the tryout

#5285 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Holy crap. I wonder if he is expensive. He could be a goldmine for pinball manufacturers.

#5286 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Wow! For sure. Those are great impressions.

#5287 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wonder if he is expensive.

I don't think he'd be too expensive, he's a 24-year-old arts student.

#5288 4 years ago

Whoa! That guy is amazing!!

#5289 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

For the people bagging on the devs for taking a long time, keep in mind that they not only have to write pinball software, they also have to design and implement all the video components as well.
I'd say that increases the difficulty by a factor of ten at least. Getting it in 18 months when WMS took a full year to do a much more simplistic DMD game seems pretty reasonable to me.

Your missing that they are missing not made up deadlines... But their own estimates

#5290 4 years ago

I just spotted this Hobbit video on YouTube from the MGC show Thanks to whomever posted it. Few things I noticed...

1) Popups are lit with white light from under the playfield. Nice touch!
2) Smaug's eyes appear to light up briefly during the multiball mode
3) Ring button graphic on the main LCD screen. Options said to light Thorin or Attempt backstab.
4) There's a new jackpot animation. Can't wait to hear the Gandalf callout for it later on.
5) Windlance ready insert is lit
6) New colored yellow bats with red rubber

Just keeps improving I really think Keith is swinging for the fences on this one, trying to top what he did on LOTR. I cannot wait for the full implementation of all the modes. You're going to really feel like you're Playing as Bilbo on a great adventure. And if there's a hidden wizard mode like Valinor Multiball, that's the icing on the cake for me.

#5291 4 years ago

His Gollum is spot on.

His Gandalf is pretty close too.

Seems perfect for the Hobbit custom callouts

#5292 4 years ago
Quoted from micro:

His Gollum is spot on.
His Gandalf is pretty close too.
Seems perfect for the Hobbit custom callouts

"Let's take it from the top", "Give me a Gandalf Suuupper Jackpot callout and add a little crazy laugh to the end of it".

#5293 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just spotted this Hobbit video on YouTube from the MGC show Thanks to whomever posted it. Few things I noticed...
3) Ring button graphic on the main LCD screen. Options said to light Thorin or Attempt backstab.
4) There's a new jackpot animation. Can't wait to hear the Gandalf callout for it later on.
Just keeps improving I really think Keith is swinging for the fences on this one, trying to top what he did on LOTR. I cannot wait for the full implementation of all the modes. You're going to really feel like you're Playing as Bilbo on a great adventure. And if there's a hidden wizard mode like Valinor Multiball, that's the icing on the cake for me.
» YouTube video

That did NOT look like a slow or boring pin to me! Probably most exciting video I've seen to date. Definitely encouraged!

#5294 4 years ago

Why does it look like the lighting effects (especially in the GI) only work on the left side? (You can really see it when Smaug breathes fire at the start of multiball.) I wonder if there was a problem with the machine? Can't be the coding. Nice video, though!

#5295 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why does it look like the lighting effects (especially in the GI) only work on the left side? (You can really see it when Smaug breathes fire at the start of multiball.) I wonder if there was a problem with the machine? Can't be the coding. Nice video, though!

If you watch closely you can see that some of the lighting effects (orange) represent fire coming from the dragon's mouth. The eyes on the dragon head light and then the inserts light up in orange in the direction in which the head is facing. So, in the video this is mostly down the left side but at one point (0.38-0.39) the head is facing across the playfield towards the upper right and you can see the same lighting effect going in a different direction. Pretty clever really.

#5296 4 years ago

Nice catch solarvalue, that is a very cool effect!

#5297 4 years ago

Starting to shape up as a must-have pin. Still a ways to go on coding but the look, sound, animations and feel should attract a whole new crowd that might never have given pinball a chance before. And enough depth and fun to challenge the most ardent enthusiast. Is JJP still hoping to start production by end of May?

To me the speed issue will resolve itself with higher pitch and multiballs. That what I hope Keith is envisioning anyways. Choosing to start one of many multiballs as you journey towards Smaug, should present a pretty good challenge.

#5298 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Is JJP still hoping to start production by end of May?

At TPF I heard May. Not sure if that was for the start of the build or the start of deliveries.

#5299 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Just for the heck of it I have forwarded his website to Jen.

#5300 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

» YouTube video

Cool video. Can't wait to get mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside