Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 201.
#5151 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Check out this one.
This Hobbit seems to be a hell of a lot faster in pitch.
I'm liking what I'm seeing... So far this one plays the best I have seen on you tube
» YouTube video

I played this at MPE for my first time this week. It seemed incredibly slow (and "floaty") but then again, so did WOZ at shows but when I play it now, it seems much faster. The main thing that bothered me was that there was no shot in the game that felt satisfying (you know, those shots you get that feeling of "yes, nailed it" over and over). The pop-up figures are a bit silly looking and it felt weird that I couldn't backhand the Spider (the left-side pop-ups.) Also, I'm not sure what to shoot for with that upper right flipper. However, the video graphics and sound were absolutely fantastic!! You simply cannot appreciate the video artwork while you're playing. But it's great to watch and learn the game if you're standing in line! Definitely eye candy.

Oh, also, I didn't notice what the outlane posts were set at but games seemed very long. I was behind 2 young kids who seemed to play for at least 10 minutes (a 2 player game.) And the game is set to 2 balls only! I also seemed to play for a very long time both times I played.

BTW, Jack showed up with a new code update at MPE this evening. Hopefully someone will post a new video for all.

#5152 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Check out this one.
This Hobbit seems to be a hell of a lot faster in pitch.
I'm liking what I'm seeing... So far this one plays the best I have seen on you tube
» YouTube video

That LCD is sick dank!

The icons, clips, progression... Fuck!

Cool.

#5153 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Looks great, lacks interesting and challenging shots.

Ok...well so does MM, AFM, MB, IJ, MET, and ACDC. They are all fans!

#5154 4 years ago

Not sure if expectations are too high or what .... but this will be a good pin.

#5155 4 years ago

This will be another one a kind like WOZ. But with a better theme. Can't wait!!

#5156 4 years ago

This pin is going to kick ass. I can't wait to play it May 1st in Allentown.

#5157 4 years ago

Just got home a bit ago from MPE. Got four or five games on The Hobbit.

This game would have kicked ass as a standard size. I soooo want to love it but I just don't.

The audio/visual portion of the game is great.

I'm 1/2 paid on a Smaug edition but I'm not sure I'll take it to the finish line (whenever that is).

Crap.

#5158 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

This pin is going to kick ass. I can't wait to play it May 1st in Allentown.

I can't wait to watch you play it in Allentown! I refuse to play it until it's in my house. Happy to watch, though...

#5159 4 years ago

beelzeboob....you have to play it in Allentown and let me know what you think.

#5160 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

beelzeboob....you have to play it in Allentown and let me know what you think.

Nope. I drove over an hour to see it up at Automated in Connecticut. My wife said, "Well...you came all this way. Are you gonna play it or what?" I told her the same thing.

Nope.

#5161 4 years ago

BTW...I got a light-up ring shooter to mod TH out when I get it. That's how excited I was about the initial design. But as the design began to get more and more sparse, my excitement waned. (And I REALLY liked the original playfield so much better...) When I ordered, it was supposed to be a direct print cab. That's gone. Now if I want something that looks like that, I have to shell out another $400. Not gonna happen.

I can see where this is going to end up for me. I'll be trading this machine for a modded ACDC premium. So, you know, if anybody has one out there...keep an eye out on my posts if you're interested in a Hobbit. But again...the jury's still out on this game.

#5162 4 years ago

I am on the fence still - after the first reveal I was like 'uh, I'm out!', but thought I would wait and see how the next few months go. If the current is the 'final' final I may cancel too. I just want to see JJP roll out a final machine and say - this is it - and then decide. I know there are some small things not seen so far - updated sling axes, diverter/wind lance, final Smaug interaction, etc. I would play it if you had a chance. Why just get it to turn it over right away?

The Hobbit theme may be clouding my judgment (I really like the theme a lot). Not sure if I should just get WOZ or wait for JJP #3...What I really would like is a TRON VE/Premium (but I don't want to start a TRON sh!tstorm in this thread). What to do, what to do....

#5163 4 years ago

Asked for a refund today, good luck to all that are in on the game.

#5164 4 years ago

Played it at MPE and it's just meth ! If a new Lord of the Rings w/ better art and more bling was set up next to it, it would win hands down . Stern could really put a hurt TH sales if they build a LotR ve. Sorry TH lovers I think your going to be disappointed !

#5165 4 years ago

The hobbit is on play at mgc

#5166 4 years ago

I have little doubt that the game will be great TO ME. But I'll be happy to admit it if I play it and think it's not. And it doesn't bother me if others are worried or flat out don't like it. I don't like TZ or Tron or Funhouse or MET, even though so many go on and on about how great they are.

I'm getting the LE version and putting it next to my heavily modded LOTR. Should look awesome together.

#5167 4 years ago

Heh, everyone raves about the slick video and sound. If I want to watch slick video and sound I'll watch the movie on my home theater. I thought this was a pinball machine.

The priorities for designing this thing should have been:
1. Game play/layout
2. Rules/Code
3. Cosmetics/visual effects

Not the other way around.

Hopefully I will be eating my words and it all comes together brilliantly.

#5168 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Heh, everyone raves about the slick video and sound. If I want to watch slick video and sound I'll watch the movie on my home theater. I thought this was a pinball machine.
The priorities for designing this thing should have been:
1. Game play/layout
2. Rules/Code
3. Cosmetics/visual effects
Not the other way around.
Hopefully I will be eating my words and it all comes together brilliantly.

1. Is done. We all know the story behind that
2. Work in progress. Do no expect complete code when game ships.
3. This is great as a business card at the moment.

I do agree that things could have been better. But this is what we have. Sound and music will be awesome. Code probably too. Gameplay will attract some and others will not like it. This goes for all pins. Matter of taste. I played the game and to say it is slow.......no not for a widebody.

#5169 4 years ago

I wonder what happened with using Two Steps From Hell music for Smaug multiball?

At Expo Smaug multiball was using a Two Steps From Hell track but now there appears to be no unique music playing during the mode.

Check out the video below at the .40 mark to hear the original track.

#5170 4 years ago

I know this may sound like I am echoing a number of you, but the purchase of Hobbit is really coming down to a couple of issues that I have not yet worked out in my head. I would really appreciate any insights from those of you that have played the game, and particularly those that saw the raw WOZ early on and watched it transform into (IMHO) a great pin.
1) The videos on the Hobbit feels more like a chance for Peter Jackson to rerun Hobbit outside the movie theater. I am not a fan of the Wizard of Oz movie, but the clips from the movie augment the game nicely without taking over the LCD. I don't get the same feeling from Hobbit. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, but am not actually going to see the last Hobbit movie as I thought the first two were meh, and I honestly figure I will see enough of the third Hobbit movie when I play pinball.
2) On the other hand, I am up against my self-imposed budget of $7500 on a pin. If Pat's game comes out higher (seems highly likely) then I am out on new JJP pin purchases. The Hobbit may be my last chance to get a JJP pin in a long while. I am currently in at $7500 for a Hobbit SE.
3) While the game does seem floaty, I do set my pins at 8 degrees, so that should speed things up. I am still unsure if that will be enough to make a difference.
4) I want to be immersed in the Hobbit story when I play. I love STTNG for that reason. WOZ is good at this, but not great. Hobbit should be great at this, but I am not seeing it in the current configuration. My tendency is to believe that Keefer will come through here, but it is not a certainty. The current modes seem pretty random.

I appreciate any thoughts and comments.

#5171 4 years ago

I should add that I liked what I saw in the battle of Bilbo and the dwarfs against the three trolls. When the video reacts to target hits, that is cool. That would immerse me in the battle and motivate me to hit targets within a certain time. That has been my favorite reveal from the pin so far, but I no longer see it on the videos of the live game.

I am also excited to see what Keefer does with the drop targets, which is yet to be revealed.

#5172 4 years ago

Keith and Ted just need more time to work on the code to bring the game fully alive. It will happen but who knows it may be by the end of the year to get a deep and complete ruletset for the game. I believe WOZ started shipping May 2013 and it took until December of 2013 for the game to really have a complete feel. It does seem like TH code is much further along then where WOZ was at it's point in development.

#5173 4 years ago

Question for people who are considering hobbit and don't have a LOTR. Why not just get LOTR? It's a proven winner, loads of mods, code is one of the best ever in pinball, and its $$$$$ cheaper. Plus LOTR has better shots. The ring shot is amazing.

#5174 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I know this may sound like I am echoing a number of you, but the purchase of Hobbit is really coming down to a couple of issues that I have not yet worked out in my head. I would really appreciate any insights from those of you that have played the game, and particularly those that saw the raw WOZ early on and watched it transform into (IMHO) a great pin.
1) The videos on the Hobbit feels more like a chance for Peter Jackson to rerun Hobbit outside the movie theater. I am not a fan of the Wizard of Oz movie, but the clips from the movie augment the game nicely without taking over the LCD. I don't get the same feeling from Hobbit. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, but am not actually going to see the last Hobbit movie as I thought the first two were meh, and I honestly figure I will see enough of the third Hobbit movie when I play pinball.
2) On the other hand, I am up against my self-imposed budget of $7500 on a pin. If Pat's game comes out higher (seems highly likely) then I am out on new JJP pin purchases. The Hobbit may be my last chance to get a JJP pin in a long while. I am currently in at $7500 for a Hobbit SE.
3) While the game does seem floaty, I do set my pins at 8 degrees, so that should speed things up. I am still unsure if that will be enough to make a difference.
4) I want to be immersed in the Hobbit story when I play. I love STTNG for that reason. WOZ is good at this, but not great. Hobbit should be great at this, but I am not seeing it in the current configuration. My tendency is to believe that Keefer will come through here, but it is not a certainty. The current modes seem pretty random.
I appreciate any thoughts and comments.

1. I like the animations very much. As the ruleset will progress and will become story based the animations will fit perfect I think.
You can in no way compare Th with LOTR. LOTR is in my opinion much better than TH. However, the material they can use can make the pin better than the movie if the 'pin story' is implemented well into the rules and integrates with sound and sound fx.
2. If have invested € 7500 euros in Th. I upgraded to Se that now is priced € 9500! In theory I have a € 2000 buffer if I decide to sell if Th does not meet my expectations. Maybe I will lose some money, But don't expect it to be that much
much.
3. I played the game and do not find it slow for a wide body. Compare the layout with STTNG and you will be surprised.
4. Current code is in no way story based, But I believe Keefer will deliver and the rules will turn out great.
I must admit that I am becoming a bit impatient and hope the game will ship soon. I the meantime I am keeping an eye on how TBL but especially Aliens are coming along.

#5175 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Question for people who are considering hobbit and don't have a LOTR. Why not just get LOTR? It's a proven winner, loads of mods, code is one of the best ever in pinball, and its $$$$$ cheaper. Plus LOTR has better shots. The ring shot is amazing.

1. Keith did the code for LOTR but is also doing it for The Hobbit.
2. 30 modes compared to maybe 15 total (including MB's and wizard modes) in LOTR
3. The large LCD, HD animations and high quality sounds
4. Action button, talking Smaug, kickback, 4 pop ups, lots of drop targets.
5. Still set in the LOTR universise
6. Compared to an HUO LOTR the Hobbit is $2k-$3k more.

I think the main issue a lot of people still have with The Hobbit is Smaug not interacting with the ball. It's a bummer but I think it can be overcomed by Keith and Ted creating an amazing ruleset for the game and making the interaction from Smaug unique.

#5176 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

2. 30 modes versus compared to maybe 15 total in LOTR

Plus it'll look really nice next to my LOTR.

#5177 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

2. 30 modes compared to maybe 15 total (including MB's and wizard modes) in LOTR

So it should be the better pin. We will see.

#5178 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I hope it is at least comparable in terms of the fun level. A great ruleset from Keith and Ted will do that.

#5179 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I have played LOTR at least a thousand times on location and really enjoy the game. However, the quality of the art and sound are just so awful that I would prefer something different in my home.

Many don't care about the look and sound of the machine, but both matter to me.

#5180 4 years ago

LOTR is a proven candidate for "one of the best pins ever made". Sure not everybody loves it, but most people who have played it at least respect it.

TH is not a shoe in for being a better ovall game. It COULD be, but honestly the odds are stacked against it.

It will be new and shiny, but 10 years on will it be regarded as the overall better pinball experience? I'll have to fuel up my Mr. Fusion to find out...

#5181 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

One thing you'd know if you knew me personally: I don't bullshit. I speak my mind, even if it makes me look like a loser. I tried to tell you I was fair and balanced about JJP. I loveloveLOVE WOZ, and I'm sure #3 will be a wonderful game. This one looks good, but it's depressing thinking about what the game could have been if Warner Brothers hadn't tied their hands. I still think Keith's code (and the windlance) can save it from mediocrity...and that's why I'm keeping my game. I still believe in what Jack's doing and I think they make amazing machines.

I can't wait to see Pat's game. I am a huge fan of his (RS, TZ, Family Guy). I love pins that have toys that mechanically interact. That's why I bailed on Hobbit. (It's beautiful and will have great rules I am sure). Hopefully, they turn Pat's creativity lose and create a mechanical masterpiece with awesome rules! They certainly won't have the Warner Brothers tied our hands excuse.

#5182 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I don't see it as which is better. I think they will compliment each other and go side by side well. I look forward to having a party and seeing which gets more play and attention from non-pinheads.

#5183 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I don't see it as which is better. I think they will compliment each other and go side by side well. I look forward to having a party and seeing which gets more play and attention from non-pinheads.

Answer will be The Hobbit, all day every day unless it is a total clunkfest dog. New and shiny will win. If you are an actual player and pinball enthusiast then it is definitely more up in the air.

I was going to say what might win in a casual battle between an EM and LoTR should be equally obvious... but I can see quite a few EM's winning that battle with easy to understand rules and not taking an hour between turns

#5184 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Answer will be The Hobbit, all day every day unless it is a total clunkfest dog. New and shiny will win. If you are an actual player and pinball enthusiast then it is definitely more up in the air.
I was going to say what might win in a casual battle between an EM and LoTR should be equally obvious... but I can see quite a few EM's winning that battle with easy to understand rules and not taking an hour between turns

New and shiny wins in your mind? No way. I actually prefer the game that is more fun and LOTR has more fun shots and more toys that make it a much more fun game. Without even taking into consideration the crazy price difference.

#5185 4 years ago

And then there is this......

10702099_909516042444878_7929110262114027095_n.jpg
#5186 4 years ago

So when you push that button does it give you a free gold ring ?

#5187 4 years ago

Can't wait to see what Keith does with that.

#5188 4 years ago

Just conjecture on my part, but I would guess it would make you invisible to Smaug, and maybe the pop ups? I really have no idea, but I can see where this would be an awesome feature to implement into game play.

#5189 4 years ago

I'm told a newer machine with much updated software will be at Allentown. Looking forward to seeing the updates versus Ohio.

#5190 4 years ago

The rules will make this game very special and who better than Keith and Ted to make that happen. The art and music package is already there. I have no concerns TH will be a unique and fun game to own.

#5191 4 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

10702099_909516042444878_7929110262114027095_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

'Watch display for usage'.

So the button will be multifunctional

#5192 4 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

10702099_909516042444878_7929110262114027095_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That looks precious!

#5193 4 years ago

Guys, please wait for final on this pin before bailing...it is still improving. Jack said the beasts now have lights, and lots of other enhancements. I will wait for the for the final version before I decide...I like were its going.

#5194 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

The rules will make this game very special and who better than Keith and Ted to make that happen. The art and music package is already there. I have no concerns TH will be a unique and fun game to own.

It is unique and the video graphics and sound are fantastic! Although I'm not sure about putting so much stock in having 20 or 30 modes. I'm not sure how I feel about a game of pinball lasting 30 or more minutes. It's not like there is a "save game" feature like in video games. I would have really liked to see more mechanical toys in this game and with such a wide open playfield the ball seemed to just float 3/4 of the way up the playfield many times and slooooowly roll back down.

I would be shocked if at this point the game isn't complete (minus more code.) I think a person can certainly make up their mind whether this game is for them or not at this point.

#5195 4 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So when you push that button does it give you a free gold ring ?

Maybe when you push the button the hurry-ups (troll, orc, spider and goblin pop-ups) either stay up or stay down, whichever is more helpful. You're invisible after all.

#5196 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I would have really liked to see more mechanical toys in this game and with such a wide open playfield the ball seemed to just float 3/4 of the way up the playfield many times and slooooowly roll back down.

I am going to give the hobbit a good pitch, and strengthen the bottom flippers - this is the reason I am getting the PF protector - the ball will have more zip on it. Also, with the 4 popups the ball will feel quicker due to so much redirection. The more I think about this game I want it to slow down a bit - I want to have the time to glance at the LCD. Also, I am not a great pinball player (rather new to it), and my family and friends have never, or rarely, played pinball so a slower mode based game with clear directions should be a great pin to have. When I am ready for the faster, flow based game I am going to get a nice Stern LE/Premium (ST, or TRON) or Guardians of the Galaxy???

#5197 4 years ago

I'm already standing in line at Allentown to play it. Love my LOTR. Even if it doesn't play that well I'm sure I'll still love the Hobbit.

#5198 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I would be shocked if at this point the game isn't complete (minus more code.) I think a person can certainly make up their mind whether this game is for them or not at this point.

I disagree. I think it would be very difficult for someone to make up their mind at this point.

How many time does it need to be shown that a game needs mostly complete code, proper set-up and actually playing the game before you can determine if a game is for you?

WOZ was at about software version 3.0 before people really started to appreciate it. Hobbit is about 0.4 right now.

In my opinion, playfield layout counts for about 40% of the playing experience. Rules, sounds and display effects count for the rest. AFM is a great example of this.

#5199 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I disagree. I think it would be very difficult for someone to make up their mind at this point.

Very difficult? Aside from adjusting the pitch of the game I'm not sure what more you're expecting. Have you seen the game in person? With the latest code update I'm pretty confident the code is much further along than you realize. It certainly seemed to me that most of the early level modes are in place now. Numerous videos, callouts, and sounds (that part of the game is amazing.) I'm no Wizard so I don't need wizard modes in place to know if a game is for me or not.

I'm not a tournament player by any means so I guess playfield layout/toys and the art package account for 70% for me. Heck, it seems a hundred people or more on here made up their mind that it was for them a couple years ago when they bought it, lol.

#5200 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Very difficult? Aside from adjusting the pitch of the game I'm not sure what more you're expecting. Have you seen the game in person? With the latest code update I'm pretty confident the code is much further along than you realize. It certainly seemed to me that most of the early level modes are in place now. Numerous videos, callouts, and sounds (that part of the game is amazing.) I'm no Wizard so I don't need wizard modes in place to know if a game is for me or not.
I'm not a tournament player by any means so I guess playfield layout/toys and the art package account for 70% for me.

The videos available right now make the game look dull.
Fortunately, there are some things that could very well fix this. Personal settings... Ie pitch and flipper strength for example.
Still, the video does not convey a fast, flowy style of play. More floaty and bricked shots.
Not unlike any other game being released, I'll reserve final judgement until I play it -but what's being shown online presently is not going to increase sales for JJP.
That's the problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside