Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 201.
#451 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Quite the opposite is my experience.

Yes your right... It's just from which point of view you're looking... If you KNOW upfront your getting something incredibly awesome but you have to wait for it vs. fake promises by not making dead-lines and postponed deliveries.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Yes your right... It's just from which point of view you're looking... If you KNOW upfront your getting something incredibly awesome but you have to wait for it vs. fake promises by not making dead-lines and postponed deliveries.

Exactly.

#453 5 years ago

Hobbit is far along I hear.

Cabinet and computer are the same as WOZ
Art is almost done
White wood is done
Toys are done, but waiting on Smaug
Software core code is there, but the rest is probably really early

I'm guessing that if Smaug gets finished and produced with no hiccups, they'll meet their date

This game is going to be insane!!!

#454 5 years ago

From the google groups a while back Jack stated that info and updates for TH would be a lot less during the process as a request from Joe and team. Maybe worried about what Jack would say/reveal?

So I'm thinking its going to be more "Stern like" with much of the info coming out towards the last quarter. Only problem with that mode of operating is the pre paids want info!

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Art is almost done
White wood is done
I'm guessing that if Smaug gets finished and produced with no hiccups, they'll meet their date

How reliable is your source

#456 5 years ago

Yesterday at TPF Jack said he has about 200 WOZ ECLEs left to ship. He refused to pass the buck on blaming specific vendors or suppliers and said the buck stops with him. I respect that.

He also said he had played The Hobbit whitewood in Chicago just before coming to the TPF and that he was very pleased with the progress, that it was a lot of fun and that it was a game full of strategic shots. He said it is very different from WOZ. Now that WOZ 3.0 is out, the programming team will have even more time for The Hobbit. I enjoyed seeing the teaser he showed, especially Gandalf's extra ball clip.

I don't think that we can expect a steady flow of press releases on TH; rather I think Jack and the studio will play this one closer to the vest. WOZ 3.0 shows Jack can build a great game. I believe he will build an even better one this time.

Jack reported that Lawlor's game is progressing at a great pace and that he was happily surprised at how far along it is already. He also said that Lawlor was as happy as he has ever seen him, clearly enjoying the design freedom Jack is giving him. Jack seemed unsure of whether or not it was a widebody. That was a bit confusing.

Butch did a real nice presentation on some of the technical aspects of using the menu and adjusting switches.
He said the manual is now over 320 pages. Jack quipped that we had a page for every pound the machine weighs.

There were no real bombshells, but it was great to have Jack there in person with Butch. I wish he had more than an hour to speak!

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Yesterday at TPF Jack said he has about 200 WOZ ECLEs left to ship. He refused to pass the buck on blaming specific vendors or suppliers and said the buck stops with him. I respect that.

He also said he had played The Hobbit whitewood in Chicago just before coming to the TPF and that he was very pleased with the progress, that it was a lot of fun and that it was a game full of strategic shots. He said it is very different from WOZ. Now that WOZ 3.0 is out, the programming team will have even more time for The Hobbit. I enjoyed seeing the teaser he showed, especially Gandalf's extra ball clip.

I don't think that we can expect a steady flow of press releases on TH; rather I think Jack and the studio will play this one closer to the vest. WOZ 3.0 shows Jack can build a great game. I believe he will build an even better one this time.

Jack reported that Lawlor's game is progressing at a great pace and that he was happily surprised at how far along it is already. He also said that Lawlor was as happy as he has ever seen him, clearly enjoying the design freedom Jack is giving him. Jack seemed unsure of whether or not it was a widebody. That was a bit confusing.

Butch did a real nice presentation on some of the technical aspects of using the menu and adjusting switches.
He said the manual is now over 320 pages. Jack quipped that we had a page for every pound the machine weighs.

There were no real bombshells, but it was great to have Jack there in person with Butch. I wish he had more than an hour to speak!

Great right up!

#458 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It just seems like nobody is managing this project to a timeline. We've been told a whitewood video is coming for months now ... and it's still not ready?

Rather than it not being ready, I think it is more that they don't want to show it. I'm sure the project is being managed very carefully and the fact that little has been revealed is, perhaps, evidence of that. Look at how the information has been released, they have shown as little as possible and milked it for all it is worth. The playfield reveal, for example, was strung out over several weeks with a small section being shown each time. That indicates to me that the project is being very carefully managed. It seems like Joe and the team have learnt from what happened with the early reveals during the WOZ project and they are getting smarter with their marketing.

Time and again, when information about a pinball machine has been released early, people (myself included) make all kinds of criticisms which are either unfounded, irrelevant, or were always going to be addressed. I think they have handled this project very intelligently and with maturity, which ultimately they need to do after the difficulties they have had with the WOZ.

I want to see more details as much as anyone but they need to avoid creating extra work for themselves and annoying the license holder. If they produce a good game it will sell and the people who have pre-ordered will be rewarded, regardless of whether they show anything now or not. Furthermore, if less is revealed now the game will have a bigger impact when it is launched later on.

What do they really stand to gain by showing the whitewood now? Are people likely to drop out because they haven't had an update? Maybe, but I think it is more likely that people will stay in as the excitement builds. In some ways, it could be argued that showing a whitewood is a little unprofessional, perhaps it is better to wait and show a more polished item.

Maybe it's time to sit back and let the designers design and the engineers engineer.

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I don't want to sound mean but we are roughly 16 months into development and only 8 months from when games are supposed to start shipping. We are not "seeing" things move quickly at all. We hear there is a white wood that is in some degree playable but I honestly thought JJP would be further along than that by now.

From what I am told they are on the 3rd white wood and things are going very well. Hobbit will not be the same as WOZ. Jack does not need to show people every little step to keep them on board with what he is doing now. The WOZ has spoken for the company. Besides a few issues that they are working through the game is amazing. I know what JJP is capable of.

Dont forget Sterns shows you nothing till the game is ready to ship. Jack wants to get to that point also but has to do it is baby steps. Each game I think JJP will show us less.

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I love how people don't complain about Stern not actually giving us updates.

lol...

Know why they don't?

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Art is almost done
White wood is done

That's nice to hear... but do hope you have a 'good' source!

Btw... hope Weta takes care of figurine making! They are awesome...

I don't say I'm very fond of Weta's Smaug statue, but if you put with some imagination the round ballwire together with roundness of the Smaug figurine you could get an idea of how Smaug could get implemented -> Ball going underneath its wings and wakes the dragon.... ?

weta_the_hobbit_azog_the_defiler_on_warg_statue_product_1.jpg
Figure Hobbit Unexpected Journey WETA Smaug 2012 Bronze a.jpg

#462 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

What do they really stand to gain by showing the whitewood now?

They stand to gain new customers and keep the ones they have. You do realize they still haven't sold out of all 1500 LE's (we have no idea if they're even close at this point.) That alone breaks Jack's prediction that Hobbit would sell out much faster than WOZ. You also realize there were 2 more pre-orders for sale on Pinside in the last day? I dropped my pre-order as well due to lack of confidence and a lack of transparency on JJP's behalf. If you don't want to show something ... then why can't you even CLEARLY state your progress?? Customers don't deserve at least that much? Because if I had been told from the beginning back in Dec 2012 that I would not be shown hardly anything on progress (much less on any sort of a regular basis) I never would have put my money down.

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The people that ordered late in the process from Pinballsales (JJP sales entity) got jumped by the customers that bought from distributors.
For example, TaylorVA ordered from a distributor in 3/2012 and received his game in the middle of last year. I ordered mine from Pinballsales in 2/2012 and still don't have a clue when it will arrive. There does not seem to be any sense of urgency to get the pre-ordered games finished. I see one or two trickling in, but not at any rate that will get them done in the next few months.
They have been working on the early June 2011 orders going on 4 months now. For example Ken in Texas ordered June 16, 2011 and was shipped on 12/2/13, and Cleland (a June 13 2011 order) was delivered 3/18/14.

Yep and while you continue to wait, games are sitting *in stock* locally at the distributor where I picked up mine a few months back. Lol.

#464 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep and while you continue to wait, games are sitting *in stock* locally at the distributor where I picked up mine a few months back. Lol.

Yeah. That really is crap on JJP's part. I'm sure all the JJP apologists will jump on this and say that "he had to sell some in the meantime to keep business running", but that is total b.s. He got all his funding and operating capital from customers, INTEREST and RISK free, through pre-orders. Those people should have been taken care of first and foremost. Its a slap in the face IMO.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Its a slap in the face IMO.

As was "Oh, and BTW, we're going to start offering another special edition game now too, the 75th Anvviersary Edition ...". Thanks for waiting 3 years!

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

As was "Oh, and BTW, we're going to start offering another special edition game now too, the 75th Anvviersary Edition ...".

Yup. As was constantly saying "it should be done this month" over and over.

#467 5 years ago

When a store ordered 25 woz pins before you. And he only sold 15 so far, you cant blame jjp.

He ordered his 25 for yours, so off course jjp will ship them all to him and then its your turn.

( not saying this happened, but it is possible. Still annoying for you, but not a mistake by anyone. Perhaps that the store did not measure his own sells well enough. But that is not jjps fault)

#468 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

They stand to gain new customers and keep the ones they have. You do realize they still haven't sold out of all 1500 LE's (we have no idea if they're even close at this point.) That alone breaks Jack's prediction that Hobbit would sell out much faster than WOZ. You also realize there were 2 more pre-orders for sale on Pinside in the last day? I dropped my pre-order as well due to lack of confidence and a lack of transparency on JJP's behalf. If you don't want to show something ... then why can't you even CLEARLY state your progress?? Customers don't deserve at least that much? Because if I had been told from the beginning back in Dec 2012 that I would not be shown hardly anything on progress (much less on any sort of a regular basis) I never would have put my money down.

Were are you getting your information from. I talked to the owner directly often. From pinball sales they had about 40 hobbit le left 2 weeks ago.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

As was "Oh, and BTW, we're going to start offering another special edition game now too, the 75th Anvviersary Edition ...". Thanks for waiting 3 years!

broken record.jpg
#470 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Were are you getting your information from. I talked to the owner directly often. From pinball sales they had about 40 hobbit le left 2 weeks ago.

So then you're confirming they aren't sold out yet? Or do you think they sold 40 in just the last 2 weeks? What other information do you want confirmed? And just because one distributor still has games available (PinballSales, 40 games?) doesn't mean that many more don't have games available too, right?

#471 5 years ago

So I just read about the Gandalf extra ball animation. I wonder if this means JJP signed or is planning to sign Sir Ian Mckellen for custom call outs? That would be awesome!

#472 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Jack has clearly stated progress about The Hobbit including playing the latest whitewood and releasing more animations. With WOZ he had to release a lot of information about the game to get buyers on-board but like many are now saying WOZ speaks for itself, especially with 3.0 just released, and now JJP can play its cards closer to their chest because of their success. I also think, and read, that Jack doesn't want to release too much information about the game as he's then giving ideas away to the competition. With The Hobbit JJP has already released far more information (including animations, cabinet art work, who's doing the audio, that TH uses up all of the IO board, etc) then we are used to with Stern so I think they are being as transparent and open as they can be without just giving ideas way to Stern.

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack has clearly stated progress about The Hobbit including playing the latest whitewood and releasing more animations. With WOZ he had to release a lot of information about the game to get buyers on-board but like many are now saying WOZ speaks for itself, especially with 3.0 just released, and now JJP can play its cards closer to their chest because of their success. I also think, and read, that Jack doesn't want to release too much information about the game as he's then giving ideas away to the competition. With The Hobbit JJP has already released far more information (including animations, cabinet art work, who's doing the audio, that TH uses up all of the IO board, etc) then we are used to with Stern so I think they are being as transparent and open as they can be without just giving ideas way to Stern.

So apparently there is no video that can be taken/shown without revealing some significant pinball advancement that would somehow give Stern an advantage if they even just saw it 8 months before it's released to the public anyway? Okay.

Honestly, I have really only ever been interested in detailed updates such as ...
1) We are now on our 3rd and what we believe will be the final white wood prototype.
2) We expect to have cabinet art finalized this week and approved in 3-4 weeks (approx).
3) We have 80% of the playfield artwork done but we're waiting on the 3rd movie's assets to be released to us which should be next month.
4) We have worked out the final details of what the LE unique features will be and they are:
5) We've finalized cabinet hardware powder coating color and some of that production has even begun.
6) etc. etc.

I especially think just getting basic information like the LE specific features is WAY overdue. How can this information be deemed an advantage to Stern? I agree there needs to be some balance between revealing too much and too little ... but right now, it is WAY too far on the "too little" side.

#474 5 years ago

we have a few WoZ standards in stock ready to ship, but a few LE customers still waiting.
we were the FIRST JJP distributor and still don't have all our LE's.
I guess you can blame the cabinet maker and weather, but I still think LE's should have been completed FIRST, then standards as they were ordered first.

#475 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

So apparently there is no video that can be taken/shown without revealing some significant pinball advancement that would somehow give Stern an advantage if they even just saw it 8 months before it's released to the public anyway? Okay.
Honestly, I have really only ever been interested in detailed updates such as ...
1) We are now on our 3rd and what we believe will be the final white wood prototype.
2) We expect to have cabinet art finalized this week and approved in 3-4 weeks (approx).
3) We have 80% of the playfield artwork done but we're waiting on the 3rd movie's assets to be released to us which should be next month.
4) We have worked out the final details of what the LE unique features will be and they are:
5) We've finalized cabinet hardware powder coating color and some of that production has even begun.
6) etc. etc.
I especially think just getting basic information like the LE specific features is WAY overdue. How can this information be deemed an advantage to Stern? I agree there needs to be some balance between revealing too much and too little ... but right now, it is WAY too far on the "too little" side.

If you dropped out of your Hobbit than walk away. Wait till the game is finished and comment on it than. Why do you still care if you dont have a deposit down on a game? I have all but paid for the game in full and I sleep like a baby.

#476 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

6) etc. etc.

Jack Is smart not to release too much info. One thing Stern is good at is quickly getting machines mechanically developed and manufactured (not code complete obviously).

I don't think he owes anyone anything unless he is going to miss the December date for first machines.

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

If you dropped out of your Hobbit than walk away. Wait till the game is finished and comment on it than. Why do you still care if you dont have a deposit down on a game? I have all but paid for the game in full and I sleep like a baby.

I have not attacked anyone personally and I'm not looking to turn this into a "me" versus the "JJP can do no wrong" crowd. I guess I'm venting because Jack's logic and constant vagueness is so extremely frustrating. I DID have my money down on the game for 14 months (paid in full for that matter.) I did wait 2+ years on WOZ to get mine and I DID always defend and believe in JJP. Heck, I even DID want to get back in on Hobbit at some point .. but I continue to find Jack's evasiveness, vague answers and statements, and complete lack of transparency very frustrating (and frankly, illogical and bad business IMO.)

#478 5 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

One thing Stern is good at is quickly getting machines mechanically developed and manufactured (not code complete obviously).
I don't think he owes anyone anything unless he is going to miss the December date for first machines.

Right. That's why Stern has had 2 titles released since WOZ without incorporating an LCD ... or direct-printed cabinets ... or thicker playfields, or widebodies, or even adding silly toppers. You think Stern's focus is spying on and copying JJP?? I don't think so. If JJP is so concerned that Stern is watching their every move trying to copy them I think they're being a little over arrogant there.

#479 5 years ago

This is all good info. Thanks for sharing. Looks as though many, many good things are happening at JJP. It's exciting.

I'll be very happy to see you get your WOZ LE. You've been a patient, measured, level-headed, rational, class-act gentleman throughout.

#480 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I have not attacked anyone personally and I'm not looking to turn this into a "me" versus the "JJP can do no wrong" crowd. I guess I'm venting because Jack's logic and constant vagueness is so extremely frustrating. I DID have my money down on the game for 14 months (paid in full for that matter.) I did wait 2+ years on WOZ to get mine and I DID always defend and believe in JJP. Heck, I even DID want to get back in on Hobbit at some point .. but I continue to find Jack's evasiveness, vague answers and statements, and complete lack of transparency very frustrating (and frankly, illogical and bad business IMO.)

Gotta suck to be ignored.

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Just wondering did you ever call Jack and ask him about your concerns?

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Right. That's why Stern has had 2 titles released since WOZ without incorporating an LCD ... or direct-printed cabinets ... or thicker playfields, or widebodies, or even adding silly toppers. You think Stern's focus is spying on and copying JJP?? I don't think so. If JJP is so concerned that Stern is watching their every move trying to copy them I think they're being a little over arrogant there.

Whether or not Stern are watching JJP, it's easy to imagine that JJP would be very wary in case they are. Pinball manufacturers have always been careful about giving anything away to the competition. Stern are certainly very careful to keep information about their next game under wraps.

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You can definitely purchase a standard WOZ and get it delivered almost immediately if you wanted to.

#484 5 years ago

I feel that I get enough info.

One of the reasons that we not get all the info some expect is explained by Jack and that's because there are pending patents. So be glad it goes this way. New patents mean new stuff. Me like new stuff

And Jack says:

"When the playfield artwork is approved soon, we will certainly show that".

That is enough info for me to keep me going and sleep well

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

When a store ordered 25 woz pins before you. And he only sold 15 so far, you cant blame jjp.
He ordered his 25 for yours, so off course jjp will ship them all to him and then its your turn.
( not saying this happened, but it is possible. Still annoying for you, but not a mistake by anyone. Perhaps that the store did not measure his own sells well enough. But that is not jjps fault)

Except this is definitely not what and that i know for sure. He simply called and ordered them and got them right away.

#486 5 years ago

The JJP bashing/joking really isn't called for. The guy wanted to improve something he loves and he did. He put together a pinball company and produced a quality game that beats the standards of most games if not all in build quality, technology and in some areas innovation. The theme might not be for some but it's a high quality piece of mechanical art. I've spoken with Jack before and he's a standup guy. All companies have hiccups, especially new ones but in the end JJP delivered. The Hobbit pinball should be another great pin with some new things possibly never done before in pinball.

As always you can speak with your pocket book. If you don't want something for whatever reason, don't buy it. I'm seriously happy that pinball is still being manufactured and that so many people are excited about it. Dump the negative speak. We're in good times guys. Don't take it for granted.

#487 5 years ago

Here's the comments made about The Hobbit from TPF.

From Pinball News

"After showing a brief trailer, Jack said he had been to the JJP mid-west location to play one of the two whitewoods for The Hobbit, which he said is a very different game to The Wizard of Oz. He described how it uses the same driver board as The Wizard of Oz, but where in that game there are seventeen unused drivers, these are all used in The Hobbit.

Although the details have not been revealed yet, Jack said Smaug - the dragon - will be positioned on a mountain on the upper left side of the playfield and would interact with the ball in a couple of ways. He also described it as a strategy game with more than two controls on each side which the player can use to control what happens on the playfield."

Also about half way down the page below you will find the audio clip from when JJP spoke at TPF. Jacks comments about The Hobbit are in the first 10 minutes of the video.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2014/index4.html

I think the coolest thing said during the JJP panel is Jack mentioning that The Hobbit will have even more features / toys packed in then WOZ. Jack said that The Hobbit uses all 17 unused IO driver port inputs that we're not used on WOZ!

#488 5 years ago

Maybe same flipper buttons as RFM.....

#489 5 years ago

Another payment due we should see an update today I would imagine

#490 5 years ago

I think the Hobbit is going to be great, due to the theme of JJP first offering which held a lot of people back, this should be the breakthrough pin for the company. I'm not a huge Hobbit fan and I wasn't a big LOTR movie fan either but good theme's for pinball, dragons, wizards, orcs and goblins. Can't wait.

#491 5 years ago

I'm all in on this and have had my pre-order in for quite a while. I can't wait.

#492 5 years ago

I would love to see Jack keep the rest of the Hobbit details tightly under wraps until it is ready for release and then blow everyone away with the finished game! I really think that JJP was almost too transparent on WOZ and as a result the game felt somewhat "old" by the time it was released... We played every early iteration of code at shows and suffered through all the bugs, weak flippers, etc. along the way... Could you imagine if all of the details of WOZ were kept secret and it was released with finished 3.0 code and little to no bugs or issues. It would have created a frenzy unlike anything we've seen before! I hope that's the case with the Hobbit and future games from JJP.

#493 5 years ago

Jack also said something about controlling the ball above and below the playfield. He mentioned he was being deliberately vague on this.

Perhaps this is the rumored underground playfield that you can only see/play on the LCD?

#494 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

He also described it as a strategy game with more than two controls on each side which the player can use to control what happens on the playfield."

This sounds promising! Cant wait for the update

#495 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I would love to see Jack keep the rest of the Hobbit details tightly under wraps until it is ready for release

Though I agree in principle with your "Stern" position here in keeping Jack's cards closer to his chest on TH, the distinction between the two business models of course is that Jack requires prepayment whereas Stern does not. Jack's prepayment model would not work without an ongoing release of updates.

#496 5 years ago

I enjoyed seeing the teaser he showed, especially Gandalf's extra ball clip

Does anyone know if this was released on YouTube yet? I'm guessing it hasn't, but just wondering if I missed it somewhere.

Thanks for the great writeup too

#497 5 years ago

Here is an update for you...

They just gained 6 more months.

In shocking news, Warner Bros. today announced that the release of The Hobbit: There And Back Again will be pushed back so the final film of Bilbo Baggins’ adventure can premiere at Comic-Con in July 2015. The new worldwide release date is July 29, 2015.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04/01/87992-there-and-back-again-moves-to-july-2015-world-premiere-at-comic-con/

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Jack requires prepayment

Not quite accurate. You have to prepay to get a discount and to get a spot earlier in the queue. Still, I understand that the current model is not sustainable. I am willing to help out a new pinball company, but I don't think I'll prepay after the Hobbit.

#499 5 years ago

Never mind...

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Here is an update for you...
They just gained 6 more months.
In shocking news, Warner Bros. today announced that the release of The Hobbit: There And Back Again will be pushed back so the final film of Bilbo Baggins’ adventure can premiere at Comic-Con in July 2015. The new worldwide release date is July 29, 2015.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04/01/87992-there-and-back-again-moves-to-july-2015-world-premiere-at-comic-con/

April Fool's.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
$ 21.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside