Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 7 years ago

My Hobbit is an early production game (3-23-16). I noticed after opening it up that it had a pre drilled back box for a topper. My guess is that JJP used back boxes from WOZ because the holes coincide with the WOZ topper. I really like making my own toppers for my games. ( I have also bought topper kits) I decided on a topper for my Hobbit that involves a real Sting Sword. You can get the plastic one (kids toy) that lights up and makes sounds when a button is pressed on the handle. There is also a movie prop that has a composite blade that lights up with certain hand motions. I decided against those two because of the fact that they also made sounds which I didn't want or need and cost of the movie prop sword. The sword I used is a stainless replica that looks real. I found a used one on EBay for 60 bucks.
I made a mount clevis with a piece of 8/32 all thread and a piece of 1/1/2 inch pvc. I used a couple of tie straps to hold the sword firm and at the right angle. Then I installed a 12v blue LED strip from Comet under the blade so that the sword appears to glow blue when the game is on. It's easy to tap into the LED strip that lights the translite for the topper. Feel free to pm me if you want more specifics on how to build one of these. I have about $80 in this one. I put the scabbard on top as well it hide the LED strip light.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Awesome! Looks good!

#3 7 years ago

The lighted sword would look cool, especially if it lit up according to a mode or maybe when the trolls pop up.

Good Job on the topper. It looks nice.

#4 7 years ago

You could do an interactive topper with the plastic one or the composite one. You would have to make the actuating button remote to something on the playfield like maybe the Arkenstone insert lamp and just defeat the sounds the sword makes.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks, I might play around with another strip of LEDs just to see if it will get a bit more light on the sword.

#6 7 years ago

nice- what is the source for the sword? Can you post a close-up photo? thanks

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

he source for the sword? Can you post a close-up photo? thanks

Yes here is connection. I tapped into the general illumination for the back glass. I used a small terminal block. The GI for the BB is 12v so you will need a 12v LED strip for the sword.

I also added another strip for the sword LED since my original picture. It's nicer with more light up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.