Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
4BE94E96-0A39-48DA-8941-8F7F5B98DFEA.jpeg
44BF461F-2215-488E-B635-900501D4CF30 (resized).jpeg
48F8A3FC-23E7-4CF3-84B1-397B5686F374 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hey Guys hope you can help, been fighting intermittent Smaug problem since day one, my Smaug mouth stops moving, anyone have similar problems , exercised all wires and plugs all seems ok , any suggestions would be appreciated.
ty

#2 5 years ago

Not much inside. Linkage and a motor. Have a look inside for anything obvious.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I've been in touch with JJP, and they've suggested they've had issues with the quality of their ethernet cables. I've purchased a new 4 ft cable to swap out with the Smaug controller board cable (pages C-78 and C-79 in the manual).

I'll report back eventually, wish me luck.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks , already changed my cable , didn’t fix problem. Took out whole assembly and exercised and pulled motor wire cable down a bit will see if it helps.
Thanks for suggestions

#5 5 years ago

I have the same problem let me know how you fix it.

#6 5 years ago

Smaug is the number one frustration for me maintaining this game. It is too finicky, and especially sensitive to the level of the game.

1 week later
#7 5 years ago

Hi Frank,
Noticed when game is playing for a while dragons mouth stops working and it coincides with most of under playfield lights working
Please give me a call
Ty
Randy

48F8A3FC-23E7-4CF3-84B1-397B5686F374 (resized).jpeg48F8A3FC-23E7-4CF3-84B1-397B5686F374 (resized).jpeg
9 months later
#8 4 years ago

Reviving this old thread - did you ever get this resolved?

#9 4 years ago

I also am having problems now. Updated to newest code and now smaug will rotate clockwise but has issues counterclockwise like a stepper motor that is set to 120 that only goes to 100.

1 month later
#10 4 years ago

Hi Guys,
I gravitate towards different pinballs and then I go back, I haven’t played much Hobbit as of late but problem still persists..

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg4BE94E96-0A39-48DA-8941-8F7F5B98DFEA.jpeg4BE94E96-0A39-48DA-8941-8F7F5B98DFEA.jpeg44BF461F-2215-488E-B635-900501D4CF30 (resized).jpeg44BF461F-2215-488E-B635-900501D4CF30 (resized).jpeg
#11 4 years ago

I gots problem trolled

#12 4 years ago

I would check the hobbit thread. Smaugs mouth opening is usually a motor issue.

5 months later
#13 4 years ago

Hi all, I am having trouble with smaug moving left and right. Mouth moves fine but that’s it he doesn’t move otherwise. Any suggestions? I tried reseating connectors.

#14 4 years ago

Smaug on my Hobbit Smaug Gold Edition is doing the same. I was able to get the head to turn to the left using the device test menu, but now it won't turn to the right. It appears to be stuck to the left now. If I make any discoveries, I'll share some photos to resolve.

#15 4 years ago

I was able to resolve my issue by re-seating the yellow RJ-45 cable at the base of the dragon head under the playfield. Problem solved. I believe I've read this is a known issue in other postings? Is there a fix to replace the cable or is the board itself the issue that needs the cable to be re-seated from time to time. Does anyone know?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from fmetz374:

I was able to resolve my issue by re-seating the yellow RJ-45 cable at the base of the dragon head under the playfield. Problem solved. I believe I've read this is a known issue in other postings? Is there a fix to replace the cable or is the board itself the issue that needs the cable to be re-seated from time to time. Does anyone know?

I have exactly the same issue. I am thinking of replacing the cable. Your fix, if like mine, will work for a while.

2 weeks later
#17 4 years ago

I replaced my cable didn’t help, I believe my mouth motor is probably going bad.

3 months later
#18 3 years ago

Our Hobbit has returned home to be shopped out, it has had problems with smaugs movement for some time. I pulled the dragon head apart completely to see if something was binding that would prevent the dragon head from moving all the way to the right. I was thinking there could be a bad opto or something, everything seemed fine, now I put it back together and nothing seems to work right. lol. My question right now is, in the mouth test mode there is a min and max adjustment for motor movement, is there any way to tell what the value is for where the motor is now? In the test mode the motor doesn't seem to move at all, but if I try and move it manually there is some resistance there.

#19 3 years ago

Sounds like your mouth servo is toast. I'd also check the board that controls the mouth servo and see if there is any heat damage.

Setting those mouth end points correctly so the servo isn't binding and pulling a ton of amps is really important. Most people don't pay attention to it and then the servo gives up the ghost.

#20 3 years ago

I havent played much Hobbit and seen this issue in for sale posts. Question is it just a visual problem or does this affect gameplay at all?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

I havent played much Hobbit and seen this issue in for sale posts. Question is it just a visual problem or does this affect gameplay at all?

It's purely aesthetic, ours has been messed up for a long time, and we never even got a call on it, I noticed it when I'd go there to fix some other stuff.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Sounds like your mouth servo is toast. I'd also check the board that controls the mouth servo and see if there is any heat damage.
Setting those mouth end points correctly so the servo isn't binding and pulling a ton of amps is really important. Most people don't pay attention to it and then the servo gives up the ghost.

Any idea on what a good replacement would be? Ours is a HK15288a, looks like its currently unavailable. Maybe I'll just shoot an email to JJP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 25.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-smaug-problem?hl=tronlover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.