IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #594 Beast pop-up improvement Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #607 backbox light filter for washed out white to flesh color - w/amazon link Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #612 Teflon dry lube spray for shooter rod Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalzoic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The wire guides are not too much of a problem just replace the balls every 500-1000 plays most modern games have them.
The ramp flap upgrade will solve the curling problem. Order one as listed above.

Is that normal?

I have 800+ plays on my Hobbit (have had none of the ramp/flaps/beasts/drops issues in this thread) and the balls still look like new. Should they be replaced anyway or just when they obviously need it?

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from eliottk:

Hi, yes it's funny to watch it in slowmo and the sound...
Do you have a PF protector installed? Maybe this causes the jump of the ball? Any idea to solve this problem?

I have a playfield protector and mine doesn't do that at all.
I don't think it would be the protector causing it anyway since the flap will sit flush to the protector the same as it would if it were resting on the playfield itself.

Maybe there is just a tiny bend or lip on that flap causing it.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

I'm impressed with the windlance knowledge, anyone know definitively how the backstab feature works? I press the button and it doesn't seem like anything ever happens.

All it seems to do to me is drop a beast quicker than normal if you don't want one blocking a shot.

2 weeks later
#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Hobbit has arrived and just setup night before last. Playfield protector installed at factory and all of the beast trapdoors have a small edge/lip around them and do not rest fully flush with the protector. Is this normal? None of my others have protectors installed but I'm used to games with trapdoors that rest completely flush with the playfield and it does impact flow. Thanks in advance!

It shouldn't make any difference if you have a protector or not since the flaps will just come down and rest flat on whatever surface is beneath them. The won't sit flush either way, but on top of the playfield so they will affect ball travel, especially slow moving balls.

EDIT: Some people had some burs on the underside of their flaps they needed to file smooth... maybe check yours for that too.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

One thing you can do is add 10 ohm resistors on each of the backbox speakers. This will lower the volume and you'll have to turn it up louder to make it how it was - leaving more bass.
One of these on each speaker http://www.parts-express.com/10-ohm-25w-resistor-wire-wound--017-10. Just remove the wire off the + terminal on each speaker and solder the resistor inline.

Since you are familiar with audio in these things I'll ask you this.

Any idea why I'm getting speaker crackle/static/hum constantly? It isn't loud enough to notice when playing, but when it's sitting there at idle you can hear it from across the room. I've been over it 3 times now checking for loose bits, plugging/re-plugging RCAs etc... and have had no luck.

Anyone else's do this? Mine also makes a loud pop noise when it turns on and as it boots it makes a lot of speaker feedback, almost sounds like a dial up modem.

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The pop is normal, but the static/hum sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe the ground braid wasn't attached properly on one of the speakers or on the computer case in the cabinet. Has it been like that since you got the game?
If it's not the ground or some other connector than it might be the sound i/o on the motherboard needs to be repaired or replaced.

Been like that since day 1. I never checked the ground braiding. Didn't know how it works or if it was really that important. What would I be looking for there?

#195 7 years ago

Thanks FlippyD and markmon. That gives me something new to check on and try.

2 weeks later
#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Just trying to figure out if it could be the problem many are having or if mine is different and maybe hardware related instead of code related.
To me it sounds like an old fax machine. The speakers keep on popping after the noisy start up. (Turn your speakers up because I only recorded with an i-phone . sound is much louder in reality than in the video).
Does anyone else have this or does the known issue only appear during call outs during gameplay? Because I have this popping all the time even in attract mode with no sound or call out at all.
Is the dead headphone jack a known problem too? Because mine is not working at all. It is not even popping.
Here is the video of my fax machine:
» YouTube video

Similar to mine. When it starts it sounds like a dial up modem playing through crackling feedback then after it starts it has constant crackling static noise from the left speaker. I put in a ticket to JJP support 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet. Mines been like that since i received it a few months ago. I've traced it back to the left RCA connector on the soundboard thing.

EDIT: Just went and double checked and it doesn't matter what cable I have plugged into the left/white channel directly on the soundboard thing, it puts out a static crackle noise.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe software will fix it in next patch. I would wait for that before too much hardware remediation

I'm already running on 1.94b and it made no difference to this. This isn't the popping/clipping the patch fixes. This is full crackle/static.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

I would suggest trying a replacement 3.5MM cable that runs from the pink jack on the sound board to the green jack on the motherboard. That solved my problem. If that doesn't produce better results try connecting the RCA speaker wire direct to the soundboard, bypassing the dual female connector that is mounted to the metal PC case.
I have also had good results calling JJP support direct instead of putting in a ticket.

I'll give switching that cable a try. Would it be possible for that pink/green cable to only be sending static through the left channel though? Neither left or right cable gives static when plugged into the right channel so I know it isn't the barrel connector at the case. It's coming direct from the left channel connection.

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Yes, I had an issue that only affected the right channel. So, I'm sure left channel only is a possibility.

Well I tried a different 3.5mm cable from the pink jack to the green jack on the back of the box = no difference. Static still there
Unplugged sub cable = no difference
Tried running the RCA cables directly from speakers to the sound board = no difference
replaced the RCA cables with other cables = no difference
Wiggled around the USB cable thing a bit, but didn't remove itas I was afraid something might blow up = no difference

Well one difference. I now have static coming about evenly out of both speakers where before it was just the left speaker. It isn't super loud, but from 30 feet away across a silent room you can hear it.

Are pinball machines supposed to have that static/crackle hum all the time? Or are they supposed to be dead silent like when I hit the mute button on the front?

Still haven't heard back from my JJP ticket.
EDIT: JJP support actually did get right back to me 2 weeks ago. I just didn't know the response would be to the ticket itself so I never checked it, I was expecting an email. The delay is all my fault.

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

When they do work, they work as expected. In modes where the ball drops down from the magnet, it hits the left rubber and rolls past any bumper and out of bag end. I'll check out the switches though. Thanks for the info!

Mine is set at 6.9 and my pops work as expected, although the ball rarely stays in there all that long before coming out. I have had it go in and come out without any action a several of times over 800ish games though

2 weeks later
#320 7 years ago

so JJP Support sent me a new sound board and cable (quick help through the support portal by Victor!), but after switching them out I still have the exact same speaker static/crackle. So far nothing has worked Switched out both sets of RCA's, switched out the 3.5 cables, cleaned all cables, switched out the board itself and nothing made a difference.

LTG or anyone else have any ideas at all on anything I can try? I've spent hours looking under the PF for anything loose or disconnected and have never found anything. It's driving me crazy.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Have you examined the wires or contacts to the speakers themselves?

Yeah. Tried using completely different sets of all cables and have also run the cables straight to the soundboard skipping the barrel connects entirely. Tried cleaning everything etc... nothing made even a slight difference.

Quoted from PinMonk:

The popping started in 1.90, maybe this is related. Did you have this issue in 1.30? If you don't know, I'd roll back to 1.30 and see if that fixes it.

No this isn't the popping. This is static/crackle, like feedback from somewhere and it's been there since the moment I first powered it on pre 134 (was it 112?)
JJP shipped me out some new parts today. So far their support has been fast and good.

EDIT: I should mention that this is really the only issue my machine has had, and it doesn't affect playing it. It needed a couple minor adjustments out of the box, but everything worked, and has continued to work, perfectly since day one. It now has 900+ plays on it I think and going strong.

#330 7 years ago

Here's a tip for those with a playfield protector:

If you ever get spots under the protector that looks like it is wet or oily those are called Newton's Rings and caused by static. I got them after lifting up my protector and cleaning underneath it.

If you get it don't panic. Just take dryer anti-cling sheets and attach them to something long and thin, then slide that under the protector from down between the flippers and push it all about to remove the spots. I used a long, over-sized zip tie and also a Slim-Jim with the sheet wrapped around it.

#332 7 years ago

Silly rabbit.

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

For non-americans what is a slim jim? (apart from what reno posted)

A ruler shaped piece of really, really thin metal with a hook on the end. They make them to slip between a rolled up window and a car door so you can pop locked cars open.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_jim_(lock_pick)

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Thanks a lot! Are the worse ramp flaps totally clear? Here is mine. Are these the better ones? Just few games so hard to say anything about curling.

Yours look exactly like mine and after hundreds of plays they still look as they did when I opened it.

#383 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Any suggestions on kick back tuning?
As sometimes the ball goes down the left outlane and drains as the kick back is not quick enough?
I have game set to about 6.8 degrees.
p.s. This should be a software update as the game should know that this has happened and should give you another ball!

That's fixed in .194

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

So how does one get ahold of an "unofficial" update?

Quoted from Goronic:

Not sure, but honestly I would wait for the official release

Quoted from Phbooms:

can somebody PM a link to the 1.94 code. the kickback not reacting fast enough has gotten me many times now and would love to fix it.

It was made available on the JJP Owners forum the day before Thanksgiving.
They asked that it not be given out outside of that forum, so if you want it you need to go get it yourself.

1 week later
#440 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I had a pm from an amazingly helpful Pinsider on this... they suggested the problem was a missing ground loop isolator, I bought this one on Ebay, installed it between the green jack plug at the rear/outside of the metal box and hey presto! the interference has totally gone!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5mm-Jack-Ground-Loop-Isolator-Audio-Noise-Filter-Unwanted-Hum-Inductor-/232000190447?hash=item360449f7ef:g:~8IAAOSw-KFXeA-D
If this is a common issue why they are not installed at the factory is anyones guess as in my case it was definitely required.
note: I know there has been a lot of audio issues reported but just to be clear mine was a high pitched squeaking/intereference type noise, evident from the moment you switch the machine on and the LCD comes on

Sounds like that might be what JJP Support shipped me (isolation transformer) as i have the exact same issue (rest of the game is perfect).
First they sent me a new sound board & cable, but it made zero difference. After reading your post I'm really hoping this is the fix!

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

So just got my Hobbit, should I be able to backhand both ramps?
At the moment I can not just wondering if other owners have dialed up their flipper power to be able to do so?

I can easily backhand both ramps (and right hole) with authority. That's actually how I tend to shoot them. My flipper power is one notch down from the factory green setting i think. My table is at 6.9 degrees.

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

good idea! now where to find a yellow transparent film thats over a foot long?

You could just use yellow electrical tape. Would only cost a couple bucks.

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It depends what wireform you have. If you have the "old" wireform (has no wire "hugging" the barrel), airballs with stronger flippers are pretty much guaranteed. The new one, the new one has given me no airball issues.
That being said - the stronger your flipper coils are, you're more likely to bend the beast mechs which can cause them to lower slow/clunky. They're easy to bend back...but if you notice your beasts aren't falling easily, that's probably due to the flippers being too strong.
First pic is the old one, second pic is the new one

Crazy. I've never gotten a ball stuck there. Had it fly off the rail a couple times though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalzoic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments?tu=metalzoic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.