IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #594 Beast pop-up improvement Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #607 backbox light filter for washed out white to flesh color - w/amazon link Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #612 Teflon dry lube spray for shooter rod Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#225 7 years ago

Just unboxed mine and the game is stunning. But I have my speakers ticking constantly. Has anyone had the same issue?

I uploaded a video but you have to turn it loud to hear the ticking speakers.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is fixed in version 1.94. It's in what I think is final beta now and should be out soon. I can confirm the popping problem is gone, as is the lockup at the high score entry screen (when you enter money too quickly there).

First of all thanks for your reply.
But I thought the issue that has been addressed in the new code after 1.9 was only happening during the voice acting but I have a constant ticking (clicking) noise at always the same rythm all the time. Also during attract mode with no sound at all. The clicking stays even if I set the volume to 0.
I also happen to have the headphone jack not working at all (tried on - off, volume high, low...not working)

I have checked all the related cables that go to the speakers from the soundboard and to the headphone jack in the coiondoor. They all sit tight and I also unplugged and replugged all of them. No change. Also if I unplug the left speakers - clicking remains, only right ones - clicking remains, unplugged both - clicking is gone. And volume settings do not change the volume of the clicking noise. E-mail to techhelp sent but was not answered yet.

I don't know what else I could do.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I haven't seen it.
Please go to - http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa and open a ticket.
Though they may not see it until Monday.
LTG : )

Ok. I have done that now. Thank you.

#261 7 years ago

Just trying to figure out if it could be the problem many are having or if mine is different and maybe hardware related instead of code related.

To me it sounds like an old fax machine. The speakers keep on popping after the noisy start up. (Turn your speakers up because I only recorded with an i-phone . sound is much louder in reality than in the video).
Does anyone else have this or does the known issue only appear during call outs during gameplay? Because I have this popping all the time even in attract mode with no sound or call out at all.
Is the dead headphone jack a known problem too? Because mine is not working at all. It is not even popping.

Here is the video of my fax machine:

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

I'll give switching that cable a try. Would it be possible for that pink/green cable to only be sending static through the left channel though? Neither left or right cable gives static when plugged into the right channel so I know it isn't the barrel connector at the case. It's coming direct from the left channel connection.

Since I didn't have the opportunity yet to buy new cables, I kept on plying with the popping speakers and had thesecoming up:
A) I started it up and the constant popping was coming out of all 2 speakers and ALSO the sub on the bottom as usual. It was on attract mode for one minute and then I SWITCHED the game OFF and SWITCHED it BACK ON a 30 seconds after. And now the constant popping noise was gone. Crackling was still there though. After 2 games it came back and kept on popping.

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Since I didn't have the opportunity yet to buy new cables, I kept on playing with the popping speakers and had thesecoming up:
A) I started it up and the constant popping was coming out of all 2 speakers and ALSO the sub on the bottom as usual. It was on attract mode for one minute and then I SWITCHED the game OFF and SWITCHED it BACK ON a 30 seconds after. And now the constant popping noise was gone. Crackling was still there though. After 2 games it came back and kept on popping.
You might test if that is the same for you as well.

#279 7 years ago
#280 7 years ago

Since I didn't have the opportunity yet to buy new cables, I kept on playing with the popping speakers and had thesecoming up:
You might test if that is the same for you as well.

#281 7 years ago

sorry double post

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#283 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I rolled back to 1.30 and the popping went away. It started for me in 1.90. It continues in 1.94. 98% sure something changed in the software between 1.30 and 1.90.

I heard of different speaker systems for PC that had issues like that and were caused by a faulty driver software. But shouldn't then everyone experience the same after upgrading to 1.90 ? Just asking because I am not really into electronics. Don't know much about it so my question may sound dumb.

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from yoyokopter:

Hi , where have you found the 1.94 or 1.94b update ??

The guys who have these updates are beta testers. It is not released yet.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Absolutely no idea. I just know that it didn't do it on 1.30, but does it on 1.90 and 1.94, so it seems to be a software thing.

That sounds logic. Is there a way to download 1.30 somewhere? So I could switch the code from 1.9 to 1.3 to test if it fixes the popping. So at least I would know the cause and could stop looking for hardware problems. Mine came with 1.90 installed so I don't have 1.30 on a stick.

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

rom Do you have a pair of headphones?

Yes, but the headphone jack is completely dead. And yes, I turned it on.
Oh and today my ORK head fell off. It was only barely attached with one screw and wiggled off. The second screw still remains hidden somewhere in the machine. Lockdown bar doesn't close unless you really force it, popping is annoying. A friend also told me that my LE number sticker would be missing on the apron. I didn't even know it was supposed to have one. AAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!
I really want to love that game but atm it only pisses me off. And even though it must be amazing if you can finally play it. But since I got it I am only working on it and figuring problems out. That turns off a bit.

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

rom Please lift the playfield, disconnect the the audio cable from the MAIN board (green connector in the back of metal box, put in your headphones there, do you still hear your audio problem or not?

Ah OK. Now I got you. Good idea. I'll check this when I get home from work.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Ok, so you mean if you take away the in signal to the sound board, the popping still remains?
Then it is definitely not code or mainboard problem. It's the sound board or possible (not likely) a 24V power supply problem.

The subwoofer itself has the red audio cable attached to it. I unplugged it from the outside of the metal box yesterday. And the popping was gone since I leave it unplugged to the metal box. No more tac tac tac tac comig out of any speaker now with just the subwoofer unplugged.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

The subwoofer itself has the red audio cable attached to it. I unplugged it from the outside of the metal box yesterday. And the popping was gone since I leave it unplugged to the metal box. No more tac tac tac tac comig out of any speaker now with just the subwoofer unplugged.

...I'll test the headphone thing when I get home and report.

#311 7 years ago

I give up atm on the Hobbit. Beast head fell off because it was barely attached with only one screw. Another beast is not registering any more because the cables from the switch of the head were chopped off because they touched the upper trapped ball fix every time they raise. I also spotted another beast with the cables halfway chopped already caused by the same issue. Mine came with the ball trapped fixes already installed. So not caused by me.
Recap:
-many missing screws on various parts (fixed it already)
-cables pinched between screws that go into the wood (fixed it already)
-speakers popping & crackling (still needs to be solved somehow)
-unplayable since beasts not reigistering any more (needs to be addressed)
-lockbar not closing unless you force it (needs to be addressed)
-beast head barely attached with one screw, second screw was non-existant (fixed it already)
-headphone jack not working at all (needs to be addressed)
-to take the invisiglass off it takes forces that can't possibly be meant like that.

Since I have it i was not able to play more than 1 game without having to open it and fix something / looking for sources of problems.
Well that is not the experience I had in mind when purchasing a more than 9000 Euros NIB machine.

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

I give up atm on the Hobbit. Beast head fell off because it was barely attached with only one screw. Another beast is not registering any more because the cables from the switch of the head were chopped off because they touched the upper trapped ball fix every time they raise. I also spotted another beast with the cables halfway chopped already caused by the same issue. Mine came with the ball trapped fixes already installed. So not caused by me.
Recap:
-many missing screws on various parts (fixed it already)
-cables pinched between screws that go into the wood (fixed it already)
-speakers popping & crackling (still needs to be solved somehow)
-unplayable since beasts not reigstering any more (needs to be addressed)
-lockbar not closing unless you force it (needs to be addressed)
-beast head barely attached with one screw, second screw was non-existant (fixed it already)
-headphone jack not working at all (needs to be addressed)
Since I have it i was not able to play more than 1 game without having to open it and fix something / looking for sources of problems.
Well that is not the experience I had in mind when purchasing a more than 9000 Euros NIB machine.

1 month later
#469 7 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

For anyone interested as per Pinside member 'thewool' suggestion I just installed a 3.5mm Jack Ground Loop Isolator Audio Noise Filter on my Hobbit which had some of that annoying humming/buzzing noise filtering through...it is now gone! Cheap fix and very easy to install.

Totally agree. I had that static noise from the beginning and been through a lot of testing to get it to go away. Nothing helped.
2 days ago I installed a Jack Ground Loop Isolator Audio Noise Filter and NOISE IS COMPLETELY GONE!!! Finally!

I used this one:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BBE59WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

100% FIXED IT!

Thanks for the tip "thewool".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments?tu=Rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.