IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #594 Beast pop-up improvement Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #607 backbox light filter for washed out white to flesh color - w/amazon link Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #612 Teflon dry lube spray for shooter rod Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 7 years ago

I think they are getting them ASAP - they know they are needed. I would expect them to be available to the current owners and going on assemblies at JJP any time now.

1 month later
#74 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Is everyone here happy with their Hobbit? I have one coming in a few weeks and to be honest I've been waiting so long I'm no longer that excited to be getting it. Someone please get me pumped up about this machine again!

The more I play it the more I like it...

2 weeks later
#99 7 years ago

By the way...the beast insert don't completely stop the stuck ball issue - just helps reduce it.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

IndeedHave had traps on all 4 even with the inserts. They do however pop out with a ball search, but when you're in multiball there's no ball search...

Yeap...if you are in a multi ball you are screwed....and if you are in a mode you will likely run out of time.

Not sure if there is a way to resolve it completely - just part of deal with pop ups I guess. I don't have a MM - but does this happen on MM?

1 month later
#206 7 years ago

I have been doing great with the hobbit over the last 5 months (since getting it). However, on 3 occasions during a game some of the lights will 'lock' in - and it appears to be different lights on the playfield. The game keeps playing but the lights don't go back to normal. Even when launching a new ball (or starting a new game). However, if I reboot the machine it is back to normal. This started happening last week and did it twice last night. Any thoughts?

Could it be a grounding wire that has came loose?

2 weeks later
#273 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Similar to mine. When it starts it sounds like a dial up modem playing through crackling feedback then after it starts it has constant crackling static noise from the left speaker. I put in a ticket to JJP support 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet. Mines been like that since i received it a few months ago. I've traced it back to the left RCA connector on the soundboard thing.
EDIT: Just went and double checked and it doesn't matter what cable I have plugged into the left/white channel directly on the soundboard thing, it puts out a static crackle noise.

Maybe software will fix it in next patch. I would wait for that before too much hardware remediation

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Mine is set at 6.9 and my pops work as expected, although the ball rarely stays in there all that long before coming out. I have had it go in and come out without any action a several of times over 800ish games though

I think JJP set it up so that it would not pop there for a long time.

If you feel it is going to slip out without triggering a few then you know what to do - nudge it good

3 weeks later
#388 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

So how does one get ahold of an "unofficial" update?

Not sure, but honestly I would wait for the official release

1 week later
#454 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

has anybody changed the LED strip in the backbox that lights the Hobbit above the video screen? Mines a really light colored shade of white compared to the warm color of whites in the game. Id guess its a 12v strip i can just change out right?

I placed a yellow film over the light to 'warm it up' ...

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Fro $10 shipped? Probably better just to get the right color LED strip at that price...

I did the gel sheet instead of replacing the existing lights. In case I (or the next owner) want to use the original lights it can be quickly and easily removed.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I do like the new right wireform, I think I'm going to have to call and get it, then I can crank up my flippers a bit more!
What a difference 3" of wire makes and it doesnt at all kill any views of the area.
I wonder why it was cut out in the first place as far as aesthetics, it doesnt seem to look any different.
Thanks for the pic.

I wish they would not have cut those gaps in the rails on either side - where they have done that I have had the ball come off in those areas.

1 month later
#515 7 years ago

I went with transparent rubbers throughout except flippers which I did green. To be honest they are much like the white (on initial look) - but the rubbers tend to 'hold' the color of the surrounding LED colors instead of appearing white.

IMG_1456 (resized).JPGIMG_1456 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPGIMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1458 (resized).JPGIMG_1458 (resized).JPG

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had transparent on my slings but they cracked off really fast in 20 games.
Went back to STC white, seems to be holding up as it should.
Let us know how they are wearing as I also like the look a lot.
Im using Titan silicone bands on my TH and on my WOZ with the exception of the munchkin flipper, I chose a black urethane super band from pinball life, it hits really hard.
I really like the Titan flipper bands they feel like fresh rubber, grab the ball better and dont get as dirty. I also chose green for the TH and red for the WOZ.

will do - they seem to holding up as well as the whites for me. But I like them fresh - so I change them fairly often (every 3 - 4 months)

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I was considering getting a replacement of the second (no rider) one and then modifying it to fit.
I then looked at the clearances and found it wouldn't fit below the rail without large changes and which is probably why they were never originally made.
I'm going to look into making one myself similar to the rider one when I get my new work space.

There was one with the feet out in a prototype. That would be a good one to get if possible.

2 weeks later
#530 7 years ago

I have been waiting on some additional hobbit mods from Matt for some time - hope he gets something to add to the game. His WOZ mods were so amazing they put them on the RR

2 months later
#545 6 years ago

I added a small amount of tape under the brackets on both sides to raise the PF by a very small amount to allow the shooter rod to shoot smooth again. But is a short term fix - I need to go in and figure out what the real issue is - it may just need to be reattached. I don't see any bend in the shooter rod - but I would probably need to remove it to be certain.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The hangars on the one I maintained actually sagged over time. I think the metal is too soft for such a heavy playfield. I had to adjust it twice in 6 months to bring the PF up a couple mm and relieve pressure on the back of the start button and/or shooter rod/kicker issues.

I wonder if anyone sells a heavier grade metal for the brackets?

9 months later
#587 6 years ago
Quoted from PSUTownie:

Just brought a Smaug Edition home tonight, my first pin manufactured in the 21st century! The game is HOU, has approximately 1100 plays, and is in like new condition. I immediately set it up in my game room and put 15-20 games on it without issue. By the end of the ~20th game, I had a few beers in me, and decided to start messing with the elaborate JJ game-settings and menus. Since I didn't know what had been changed by the previous owner, I found the "factory reset" option and went for it without hesitation. My slightly impaired thinking was that it would be nice to start fresh, as Jack intended it, and go from there.
Immediately after the reset, I started another game and the ball release coil didn't have enough power to push the ball into the trough, and kept repeatedly cycling. Then Gandoff started yelling at me to get on with it! I opened the coin door and manually pushed the ball out with the coil plunger, and the game played just fine. After that ball drained, the ball release coil would start cycling again and seemingly did not have enough umph to push ball number two into the trough.
Any known issues, and/or fixes for this?
In my mind, and given the circumstances, this "issue" has to be related to the reset I performed. The new software update was previously installed; however, I didn't look to see if the reset wiped it.
Any thoughts/input is appreciated.

Don’t sweat it, just up the ball trough coil setting and keep testing and adjusting and you will be back in business

1 week later
#592 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

- remove the centre post
- open up the outlanes
- set pf pitch to 7 degrees; you may need to up the flipper strength as a result

I didn't do the first 2, as me and the family are very casual pinball players - and we find Hobbit hard enough as it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments?tu=Goronic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.