IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #594 Beast pop-up improvement Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #607 backbox light filter for washed out white to flesh color - w/amazon link Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Post #612 Teflon dry lube spray for shooter rod Posted by pinballinreno (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippyD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#179 7 years ago

Got my Hobbit this week and it has a build date of 8/3/16. Looks like the fixed left wireform is installed and the character mylar. I'm not sure if there is a ramp fix installed.

I've got the playfield set to 6.9 and haven't adjusted the flippers yet. It's definitely tough to get up the ramps and nearly impossible backhand so those probably need to be boosted. However when you get a real clean shot and it zips up they have occasionally flown off the right wires and one time it jumped the left ramp into smaugs gold pit. Exciting!

I love lively games but it does feel clunky when the ball falls off the right wires. Smaug was able to knock the ball in his gold pile free.

Have had one smack of the glass out of maybe two hours of play. Again I love that, but I'm worried it might be bad on invisaglass.

A question I have is regarding sound. I was expecting a lot more bass. I mean there's bass but it's just not BOOOMING. Didn't see an EQ in the options. Do you need to upgrade the sub and amp to get more rumble in the low end?

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

One thing you can do is add 10 ohm resistors on each of the backbox speakers. This will lower the volume and you'll have to turn it up louder to make it how it was - leaving more bass.
One of these on each speaker http://www.parts-express.com/10-ohm-25w-resistor-wire-wound--017-10. Just remove the wire off the + terminal on each speaker and solder the resistor inline.

Nice and simple idea, gonna have to give it a try!

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Since you are familiar with audio in these things I'll ask you this.
Any idea why I'm getting speaker crackle/static/hum constantly? It isn't loud enough to notice when playing, but when it's sitting there at idle you can hear it from across the room. I've been over it 3 times now checking for loose bits, plugging/re-plugging RCAs etc... and have had no luck.
Anyone else's do this? Mine also makes a loud pop noise when it turns on and as it boots it makes a lot of speaker feedback, almost sounds like a dial up modem.

The pop is normal, but the static/hum sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe the ground braid wasn't attached properly on one of the speakers or on the computer case in the cabinet. Has it been like that since you got the game?

If it's not the ground or some other connector than it might be the sound i/o on the motherboard needs to be repaired or replaced.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Been like that since day 1. I never checked the ground braiding. Didn't know how it works or if it was really that important. What would I be looking for there?

The ground braid needs to be in contact with any part of the machine that is conductive - so almost everything! The silver braid runs all around the sides of the cabinet and into the head. A screw or staple connecting the braid to the speakers may not have been connected at the factory or may have come loose in transit.

The other place to check the braid is the case in the cabinet with the boards and computer since that's the source of your audio signal.

If ground braid looks connected - I'd show pics but I'm not near my pins today - then I'm thinking the audio components on the computer board may be shoddy. Would probabky need to replace the whole board. I'd contact JJP support, or maybe LTG can chime in with some other things to try.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would try dialing down the flipper strength. That helped stop that issue on my game.

Yes and when you do this make sure you can still backhand the right ramp with a cradled ball. Should just barely make it.

1 month later
#376 7 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

I have the same issue. The corners aren't properly together in lower corner. Can't be shipping problem because in box a upper side and box didn't have any damage. Some paint was also missing from coindoor.

Can confirm that I also have this issue. It's from an August 2016 build.

#389 7 years ago

I put LOTR themed side decals in my Hobbit and they really look great. Screenshots over in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-lord-of-the-rings-custom-side-board-decals

3 weeks later
#490 7 years ago

Some people have legit problems with their speaker wires or audio connections out of the sound board. However everyone has a sound problem with the code too that sounds like certain sounds get quiet or muffled for a moment. I believe it's the ducking part of the sound system that lowers the volume on some sounds when others play that needs some finesse.

1 year later
#586 6 years ago
Quoted from PSUTownie:

I found the "factory reset" option and went for it without hesitation...

It was probably not the best idea to zap all those settings but you are where you are now. There is a menu in the settings screen for adjusting coil power. You'll have to adjust those numbers on each coil that's not adjusted properly. Higher numbers for more power. If the trough or a VUK isn't giving you the ball, it needs more coil power.

You can adjust every coil in the game and it can greatly change the feel of the game. The factory settings do not always work perfectly given each game and each environment is slightly different.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippyD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments?tu=FlippyD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.