IMG_1003[1] (resized).JPG
20170515_173451 (resized).jpg
IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
#401 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I didn't report it because it isn't really all that bad and I can live with it. Although I though that it was strange that is should've come from the factory that way, I had waited over 2 years to get my game so I was just happy to finally have it!

Yeah, I thought also tap some black paint there. No worth to start change whole coindoor allthought they would change it.

#402 7 years ago

quick question. so when the updates that were released so far are loaded on the machine did any of them erase the play count?

Reason i ask is my Hobbit says 200 plays at 1.94 but i bought it used and just wondering if thats the actual amount or if updates have erased the actual number like a Stern would do each time there updated.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

quick question. so when the updates that were released so far are loaded on the machine did any of them erase the play count?
Reason i ask is my Hobbit says 200 plays at 1.94 but i bought it used and just wondering if thats the actual amount or if updates have erased the actual number like a Stern would do each time there updated.

When a delta update is done, no changes to stats When a full install happens, hard drive is re-written and everything is reset.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

When a delta update is done, no changes to stats When a full install happens, hard drive is re-written and everything is reset.

so which updates so far would be considered full installs? from .81 to 1.0 or 1.3 to 1.90 or non yet they have all been Deltas?

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

so which updates so far would be considered full installs? from .81 to 1.0 or 1.3 to 1.90 or non yet they have all been Deltas?

1.01 was a full install; many games shipped with .81 so in order to update to the newer versions, 1.01 full install was needed. 1.90 is the latest release and that's a delta that rides on top of 1.01. The coming 1.94 is also a delta update.

#406 7 years ago

1.01 was a full install; many games shipped with .81 so in order to update to the newer versions, 1.01 full install was needed. 1.90 is the latest release and that's a delta that rides on top of 1.01. The coming 1.94 is also a delta update.

thanks man for clearing everything up for me!

#407 7 years ago

No problem. I know it's confusing at times.

#408 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

You can before any update, go to Utilities - Settings back up, put that on a USB stick, install the update, then go back to Utilities and do Settings Restore.

Then all your old settings will be there. Just in case.

LTG : )

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can before any update, go to Utilities - Settings back up, put that on a USB stick, install the update, then go back to Utilities and do Settings Restore.

I love this feature!

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks! i had a WOZ but never had to do anything besides update to 6.06 once but now with the Hobbit having delta code updates i got to admit i was confused on how to do the delta updates at first and tryed to install it like a normal full update.

#411 7 years ago

What's the best way to install an external sub to the hobbit and where to run the wires out to the sub?

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

What's the best way to install an external sub to the hobbit and where to run the wires out to the sub?

Run a speaker wire into lower cabinet to hook to the positive and negative terminals on the lower cabinet speaker. Get a amplified subwoofer that has high level input (speaker wire input) and your good to go!!! Look in back you will see holes with mesh in them, loosen the screws holding the mesh so you have room to push the wire thru!

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

There is a AUX output jack on the soundboard. Use that.

#414 7 years ago

PROBLEM: When playing the Hobbit even after installing the new post w/ the rubber on the diverter ramp. It will hit the rubber and fly off and go into the in lane or jump right over the out lane plastic. BALL LOST. What the hell...

#415 7 years ago

Ball must be coming down there with some speed on it. Maybe remove the rubber? Since I put the post on my game it rarely has a problem.

#416 7 years ago

Ball must be coming down there with some speed on it. Maybe remove the rubber? Since I put the post on my game it rarely has a problem.

At this point, its unplayable.. I wish that ramp had the double metal on it like the other two ramps do. This would have fixed this issue...

#417 7 years ago

Minor bending of the ramp/post should solve this. If not, JJP sells the ramp with the extra wire for those who got early machines.

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

PROBLEM: When playing the Hobbit even after installing the new post w/ the rubber on the diverter ramp. It will hit the rubber and fly off and go into the in lane or jump right over the out lane plastic. BALL LOST. What the hell...

Yes the wireform needs tweaking.

If the ball is going a little fast, lower the pitch to 6.9. I needed to make some major tweaks to the left wireform, as it was unplayable on the initial setup.
Using a pair of crescent wrenches and a rag to avoid too much scuffing.
Bend the wireform as needed.

Starting a good 10 inches up from the end, just below where the track curves towards the wall and becomes straight again.
I bent the whole length of track at a slight angle towards the wall and kept the upper part to be mostly flat.
I spent a good 30 mins messing with it to get just the right bend based on a playfield pitch of 7 degrees.

So, in essence warp the wireform to suit your needs. It doesnt even have to be be removed from the game, but flat or angled down towards the center of the playfield doesnt work at all.

Currently the lower part of my wireform has a slight 6 degree tilt towards the wall, this keeps fast moving balls on track.
Bending it a lot or too much can make the ball ride the wall and hang on the wire loop area.
I also added the little post that JJP sent out.

I also bent the end loop up about 1/4" up as the ball would climb up the wire and go over the plastic and drain, really annoying. This also got better after the bending of the lower section.

I have it perfect now and havent had a ball come off in 1000 games.

All it took was a little patience and a couple bends.

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Minor bending of the ramp/post should solve this. If not, JJP sells the ramp with the extra wire for those who got early machines.

I have the new improved wireform, but it isnt in my game as I fixed my existing one by bending it a bit.
Since it doesnt have an inner rail to keep the ball on track, balls will also fly off it unless its bent up and angled into the wall a bit.
All they did on the new wireform is add an outer rail to keep the ball from hanging on the end loop.

I was very frustrated with this issue until I got the track and the end loops bent right.

Ball spin out on the double loops was also an issue untill I bent them up about 5/16".

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

One issue i have is audio interference. It starts as soon as you turn the game on and sounds like a high pitched whining which then varies. Its there all the time but not as noticeable when the game sounds are running. Anyone else had this issue?

Same here, though once fully startet the high pitched sound goes away, or maybe I just can no longer hear it over the crackling or burbling sound/static I get from my machine.

#421 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

You think its good now? Add an external sub and feel Smaug's power!

What is the best way to do this?

#422 7 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Same here, though once fully startet the high pitched sound goes away, or maybe I just can no longer hear it over the crackling or burbling sound/static I get from my machine.

I had a pm from an amazingly helpful Pinsider on this... they suggested the problem was a missing ground loop isolator, I bought this one on Ebay, installed it between the green jack plug at the rear/outside of the metal box and hey presto! the interference has totally gone!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5mm-Jack-Ground-Loop-Isolator-Audio-Noise-Filter-Unwanted-Hum-Inductor-/232000190447?hash=item360449f7ef:g:~8IAAOSw-KFXeA-D

If this is a common issue why they are not installed at the factory is anyones guess as in my case it was definitely required.

note: I know there has been a lot of audio issues reported but just to be clear mine was a high pitched squeaking/intereference type noise, evident from the moment you switch the machine on and the LCD comes on

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I had a pm from an amazingly helpful Pinsider on this... they suggested the problem was a missing ground loop isolator, I bought this one on Ebay, installed it between the green jack plug at the rear/outside of the metal box and hey presto! the interference has totally gone!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5mm-Jack-Ground-Loop-Isolator-Audio-Noise-Filter-Unwanted-Hum-Inductor-/232000190447?hash=item360449f7ef:g:~8IAAOSw-KFXeA-D
If this is a common issue why they are not installed at the factory is anyones guess as in my case it was definitely required.
note: I know there has been a lot of audio issues reported but just to be clear mine was a high pitched squeaking/intereference type noise, evident from the moment you switch the machine on and the LCD comes on

thewool

If you have an iphone could you install an app called Spectrumview (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/spectrumview/id472662922?mt=8) and do a screen shot of what it looks like. Try and get the screenshot of before the machine turns on and after. And also with the ground loop isolator installed.

This would be an excellent resource for other users. They just compare and see if it is a similar frequency.

Example.
Large vertical line is the boot noise.
during boot and the loud noise when it first powers upduring boot and the loud noise when it first powers up

Long horizontal line is the fan noise.
while booted you can see the constant fan noise at 600hzwhile booted you can see the constant fan noise at 600hz

If there was a high pitched noise i'd expect to see another higher line right across the screen.

#424 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

thewool
If you have an iphone could you install an app called Spectrumview (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/spectrumview/id472662922?mt=8) and do a screen shot of what it looks like. Try and get the screenshot of before the machine turns on and after. And also with the ground loop isolator installed.
This would be an excellent resource for other users. They just compare and see if it is a similar frequency.
Example.

If there was a high pitched noise i'd expect to see another higher line right across the screen.

From what I understand this may well be the case:

"Noise problems in audio amplifiers are usually caused by not using a seperate ground returns to a single point which result in voltages across ground tracks due to the resistance of the tracks. This unwanted voltage is usually amplified by the inputs of the amplifier and results in interefence." (from A/V web)

In this case the ground loop isolator should do the trick as noted.

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-3-5-mm-Isolator/dp/B001EAQTRI

#426 7 years ago

Hi, I have an iPad, will it work on that?

Quoted from koops:

thewool
Example.

#427 7 years ago

How often are you guys seeing the deverter drop? I haven't seen it yet...I ran the coil test and it'll repeatedly go down a little bit, so I assumed that it's working. I'd just expect to see it more in gameplay.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

How often are you guys seeing the deverter drop? I haven't seen it yet...I ran the coil test and it'll repeatedly go down a little bit, so I assumed that it's working. I'd just expect to see it more in gameplay.

I think it's in the Moon Runes mode & Barrel Escape.

#429 7 years ago

Any tweak here for the left autoplunger ?
Sometimes it misses the ball completely, sometimes it brings back the ball with less power. Also hitting the 3 right targets with
the button from the autoplunger ... sometimes harder, sometimes softer.
i checked the coil, plunger, mechanismen and the corresponding switch .. all looks okay.

Cheers
Tom

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

What is the best way to do this?

I simply alligator clip speaker wire to the sub in the the bottom of the cab, run the wire through a small hole I drill in one of the meshes in the rear bottom of the cab and put the wires into the "in" connection of an external sub (most of mine are the Polk but have one other sub from MCM electronics).

Imho, external subs are the number one bang for the buck mod and I use them on all my pins.

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think it's in the Moon Runes mode & Barrel Escape.

Awesome...thanks. I just wanted to be sure nothing is messed up with my game!

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

Awesome...thanks. I just wanted to be sure nothing is messed up with my game!

Yeah it's not used that often - but it is used!

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Any tweak here for the left autoplunger ?
Sometimes it misses the ball completely, sometimes it brings back the ball with less power. Also hitting the 3 right targets with
the button from the autoplunger ... sometimes harder, sometimes softer.
i checked the coil, plunger, mechanismen and the corresponding switch .. all looks okay.
Cheers
Tom

Is the plunger hitting the ball somewhere near the center of the ball?
Is the shooter lane switch centered and not bent sideways or too high? It can throw off the way the ball sits in the lane.

#434 7 years ago

I thought he was talking about the windlance/kickback?

#435 7 years ago

Anyone have issues with their plunger? Brand new Smaug and shortly after setup the manual launcher barely gets the ball out of the trough. Is there a way to adjust this?

#436 7 years ago

I thought he was talking about the windlance/kickback?

Your right! I misread that totally.

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

Anyone have issues with their plunger? Brand new Smaug and shortly after setup the manual launcher barely gets the ball out of the trough. Is there a way to adjust this?

Check or stretch the spring.
Also make sure the plunger is centered on the ball, horizontilly and vertically.
Pull off the e-cilp on the shooter rod, pull it apart and put a little dry-lube on the shooter rod.
Check if its binding on anything or bent from shipping.

Check the playfield front hanger brackets, they should not be bent out at all. (sometimes they get bent from shipping)
Make sure the playfield is setting down where it should be, post pictures if you have any questions.

#438 7 years ago
#439 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

Yes I had same issue the tech just adjusted the apron slightly

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Sounds like that might be what JJP Support shipped me (isolation transformer) as i have the exact same issue (rest of the game is perfect).
First they sent me a new sound board & cable, but it made zero difference. After reading your post I'm really hoping this is the fix!

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Yes I had same issue the tech just adjusted the apron slightly

Any idea on what the tech did? It appears that the washer between the rubber tip of the shooter rod and the spring is hitting the auto plunger mechanism. Either the rod needs to be a bit lower, the auto plunger needs to be rotated forward, or playfield needs to be elevated a bit.

However I cannot see a means of adjusting the positioning of any of these elements.

Any help is appreciated.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

Any idea on what the tech did? It appears that the washer between the rubber tip of the shooter rod and the spring is hitting the auto plunger mechanism. Either the rod needs to be a bit lower, the auto plunger needs to be rotated forward, or playfield needs to be elevated a bit.
However I cannot see a means of adjusting the positioning of any of these elements.
Any help is appreciated.

can you post a picture of the front playfield support hangers and the plunger area.
If they are bent out, the playfield will be in the wrong position relative to the cabinet.

#443 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hi, I have an iPad, will it work on that?

Yes it should do!

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

It appears that the washer between the rubber tip of the shooter rod and the spring is hitting the auto plunger mechanism. Either the rod needs to be a bit lower, the auto plunger needs to be rotated forward, or playfield needs to be elevated a bit.
Any help is appreciated.

I had to adjust my plunger assembly a bit...there are 3 screws that hold the plunger in place on the inside of your cabinet...loosen them and you can get about 1/2" of play. Move it so it doesn't hit your autoplunger

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberfist:

It appears that the washer between the rubber tip of the shooter rod and the spring is hitting the auto plunger mechanism. Either the rod needs to be a bit lower, the auto plunger needs to be rotated forward, or playfield needs to be elevated a bit.
Any help is appreciated.

I had to adjust my plunger assembly a bit...there are 3 screws that hold the plunger in place on the inside of your cabinet...loosen them and you can get about 1/2" of play. Move it so it doesn't hit your autoplunger

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

I tried that however there wasn't enough play to lower the rod sufficiently. Obviously something has settled however the playfield is sitting at satisfactory angles north/south and east/west. What I did was place two 1/10,000th's stainless shims under the bottom edge of the plunger assembly, causing the rod tip to angle slightly downward. Imperceptible and did the trick. I'd still like to know what is out of spec and how to fix it though.

#447 7 years ago

So just got my Hobbit, should I be able to backhand both ramps?

At the moment I can not just wondering if other owners have dialed up their flipper power to be able to do so?

#448 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

So just got my Hobbit, should I be able to backhand both ramps?
At the moment I can not just wondering if other owners have dialed up their flipper power to be able to do so?

yes easily. i think my flippers are both on 25

#449 7 years ago

I think I turned down my flipper power, but I forget what it's at. I had balls flying off the ramps when it was higher. I can certainly backhand both ramps. I wouldn't call it "easy" per se, but I can do it fairly consistently and there's JUST enough power to get past the curve of the ramp.

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

yes easily. i think my flippers are both on 25

Thanks do you know what your game is pitched at?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments/page/9?hl=georgeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.