IMG_1003[1] (resized).JPG
20170515_173451 (resized).jpg
IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Which switches?

I believe the switches behind the drop targets. Or ramps?

Quoted from goldant:

Or to tell how built up the windlance is?

I think that the load windlance insert is either flashing or off?
If you set the windlance to easy it shoots more predictably or fewer switch hits to fully charge it.
Its an ancient weapon prone to failure and inaccuracy
You have to crank it up to get full power.
A fairly accurate representation of what we see in the films and story line.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its an ancient weapon prone to failure and inaccuracy

... as opposed to this nice wonderful modern pinball machine built in 2016.

I don't have my TH yet, but hopefully later this year. I realize this thread (and others) are just the worst of an otherwise great game. But it certainly makes me glad I waited to order. Now, if I could just get it tomorrow please!!

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I realize this thread (and others) are just the worst of an otherwise great game.

This is not a complaint thread, its mostly about fine adjustments of an incredible game.

This thread is all about what myself and other early adopters have figured out to get this game to where it stands now, with the help of the incredibly responsive team at JJP.

All games need tweaking and proper set up, from all manufacturers, in order to play their best.

I hope you get your game soon and am glad you have found this thread to get the most out of your game!

#154 7 years ago

My apologies for what was a poor attempt at humor. I'm grateful to this thread and the awesome tips for setting up this game once I receive it. I still hope I don't have to start breaking out the pop rivet gun for any of my tweaks, but it sounds like I won't.

#155 7 years ago

Anybody else have to constantly adjust the warg switch? Mine is just so difficult to register. I'll adjust it and it works better for a while and then becomes difficult after a few days. Any suggestions?

#156 7 years ago

Has anyone else had a tilt bob #D27 error on their game? I'm not sure if this means that a connection is lose somewhere?

Thanks

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone else had a tilt bob #D27 error on their game? I'm not sure if this means that a connection is lose somewhere?
Thanks

If you don't get any tilt warnings for a x period of time, it will register as a bad switch.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

If you don't get any tilt warnings for a x period of time, it will register as a bad switch.

That has to be it as I have not seen any tilt warnings before. Does this mean that a connection to yhe tilt bob could possibly be bad?

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That has to be it as I have not seen any tilt warnings before. Does this mean that a connection to yhe tilt bob could possibly be bad?

Why not just start a game and shake the crap out of the machine to try and generate a tilt to see what happens?

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Anybody else have to constantly adjust the warg switch? Mine is just so difficult to register. I'll adjust it and it works better for a while and then becomes difficult after a few days. Any suggestions?

The Warg character head is more problematic than the others due to its weight and depth. It wobbles a lot more after being actuated giving false hits.

Generally to counter this, its leaf switch demands a larger gap. Therefore requiring a more solid hit to register it.
I have found that twisting the head slightly to the left or right depending on clearances of the new filler piece.
This gives you a stiffer leaf with less wobble and you can gap it closer.
Its not perfect and still wont allow a ball backstab but is much better play-wise.

I have mine twisted about 3 degrees from center to the left, just missing the filler piece.

For the Warg Im using the ring button once in awhile to attempt the backstab if I cant hit it.

Please report back if this helps, it worked for me.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There is an adjustment in the new code regarding the tilt.
Manually actuate the tilt in test mode it should clear the error, if not check the connection.
If any switch isnt hit in X amount of games the code will flag it, sensing it as bad.

As an example:
I would periodically get an error in the rear subway entrance before the new code started using it to add mode balls.

#162 7 years ago

There is an adjustment in the new code regarding the tilt.
Manually actuate the tilt in test mode it should clear the error.
If a switch isnt hit in X amount of games the code will flag it, sensing it as bad.
I would periodically get an error in the rear hole before the new code started using it to add mode balls.

Thanks! I'll try that.

#165 7 years ago

I'm impressed with the windlance knowledge, anyone know definitively how the backstab feature works? I press the button and it doesn't seem like anything ever happens.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

I'm impressed with the windlance knowledge, anyone know definitively how the backstab feature works? I press the button and it doesn't seem like anything ever happens.

All it seems to do to me is drop a beast quicker than normal if you don't want one blocking a shot.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

If you activate a beast you have 2 options either hit it to drop it or attempt a backstab with the ring button.
The key word here is attempt.

If you try it often enough you will see that it actually works more often than not.
I think its more effective if the ring is fully charged.

Its especially helpful if you are trying to hit that last beast like the Warg, and dont make it, to start beast frenzy multiball.

Be careful though as the ring will have to be recharged after its use.

Hit switches to recharge the ring.

#168 7 years ago

Thanks pinballinreno. I closed the leaf switches closer and its working better. I'll try your idea to.

Im now having issues with the right spinner. Seems like the metal bracket is such a soft metal, it may be getting bent during gameplay and the ball doesn't hit spinner properly. I've bent it back as good as I can, but spinner still doesn't sit in upright position when still. Curious if anyone was this issue. Left spinner is perfect and always returns to upright position.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Thanks pinballinreno. I closed the leaf switches closer and its working better. I'll try your idea to.
Im now having issues with the right spinner. Seems like the metal bracket is such a soft metal, it may be getting bent during gameplay and the ball doesn't hit spinner properly. I've bent it back as good as I can, but spinner still doesn't sit in upright position when still. Curious if anyone was this issue. Left spinner is perfect and always returns to upright position.

Pull the spinner bracket off the game and inspect it and the switch along with the wires thoroughly. Something is either bent out of spec or installed incorrectly. (check the manual for some insight)
Spinners are an action part and take a lot of abuse, they can also benefit from a tiny drop of dry lube on the wires.
Its posible that its a badly formed part.
Call Frank at JJP and ask for a replacement if it continues to give you trouble.

#170 7 years ago

Your a good resource in the JJP threads pinballinreno. Thanks!

#171 7 years ago

Upon further inspection of my spinner, I found the metal wire that goes through spinner was broken inside and causing the spinner not to balance correctly. I glued it in for now and it works, but I did email jjp for a new spinner.

#172 7 years ago

Anyone having issues with the ramp flaps. Mine are curling up so bad, the ball is getting stuck.

VZM.IMG_20161021_180254 (resized).jpgVZM.IMG_20161021_180254 (resized).jpg

#173 7 years ago

Just call JJP and they will send you new ramp flaps. They will come with some rivets, so if you are comfortable with riveting, go that route. They may swap it out otherwise.
I just ordered it, and it is coming free. I have no problem riveting however. In my old life I was an aircraft mechanic, and riveting was a part of everyday life.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Anyone having issues with the ramp flaps. Mine are curling up so bad, the ball is getting stuck.

Its super easy to replace ramp flaps, it will only take about 15 mins:

removal:

replacement:

I use the Hanson rivet tool # HT-174 it works with all pinball rivets on all of the games I have worked on:

http://www.erivet.com/storefront_product_detail.cfm?itemnbr=HT-174

Removing the ramp is not too terrible and takes about 20 mins.

Call Frank at JJP the flap upgrade kit is free. While you have him on the line also order a few rubbers for the center post and maybe a complete rubber kit.

Also if you havent already, get the left ramp fix and spare springs for the drop targets, they are also free.

In the mean time loosen the small black screws in the front of the ramps and any other screws holding it down, slide a pencil or a 3/16" dowel under the flap from the side and bend it back down.

#175 7 years ago

Thanks guys. It's just about unplayable.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Thanks guys. It's just about unplayable.

My left ramp was so bent it started rejecting the ball.
I had bent it down so may times that it had started to crack.
Just as I was shopping for thicker more aggressive material JJP had announced a free ramp flap replacement!

Talk about service...JJP is second to NONE in this pinball industry!

1 week later
#177 7 years ago

Hobbit has arrived and just setup night before last. Playfield protector installed at factory and all of the beast trapdoors have a small edge/lip around them and do not rest fully flush with the protector. Is this normal? None of my others have protectors installed but I'm used to games with trapdoors that rest completely flush with the playfield and it does impact flow. Thanks in advance!

#178 7 years ago

My left ramp was so bent it started rejecting the ball.
I had bent it down so may times that it had started to crack.
Just as I was shopping for thicker more aggressive material JJP had announced a free ramp flap replacement!
Talk about service...JJP is second to NONE in this pinball industry!

I agree. He seems to take care of customers. I called JJP about the issue. 5 days later, the new blue ramp flaps were in my mailbox. I still have to install (unless I send him the ramp) but still, great service.

#179 7 years ago

Got my Hobbit this week and it has a build date of 8/3/16. Looks like the fixed left wireform is installed and the character mylar. I'm not sure if there is a ramp fix installed.

I've got the playfield set to 6.9 and haven't adjusted the flippers yet. It's definitely tough to get up the ramps and nearly impossible backhand so those probably need to be boosted. However when you get a real clean shot and it zips up they have occasionally flown off the right wires and one time it jumped the left ramp into smaugs gold pit. Exciting!

I love lively games but it does feel clunky when the ball falls off the right wires. Smaug was able to knock the ball in his gold pile free.

Have had one smack of the glass out of maybe two hours of play. Again I love that, but I'm worried it might be bad on invisaglass.

A question I have is regarding sound. I was expecting a lot more bass. I mean there's bass but it's just not BOOOMING. Didn't see an EQ in the options. Do you need to upgrade the sub and amp to get more rumble in the low end?

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Hobbit has arrived and just setup night before last. Playfield protector installed at factory and all of the beast trapdoors have a small edge/lip around them and do not rest fully flush with the protector. Is this normal? None of my others have protectors installed but I'm used to games with trapdoors that rest completely flush with the playfield and it does impact flow. Thanks in advance!

The black rubber stopped on the bottom of the mechs are probably adjusted too high of I understand your description properly. The flap should rest on the playfield/protector surface. Impacts to the edge of the flaps if they are raised will damage the balls and flaps.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

A question I have is regarding sound. I was expecting a lot more bass. I mean there's bass but it's just not BOOOMING. Didn't see an EQ in the options. Do you need to upgrade the sub and amp to get more rumble in the low end?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-subwoofers#r-10sw
This will fix it.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

The black rubber stopped on the bottom of the mechs are probably adjusted too high of I understand your description properly. The flap should rest on the playfield/protector surface. Impacts to the edge of the flaps if they are raised will damage the balls and flaps.

I'll open it up and take a closer look this weekend - thanks for the reply!

#183 7 years ago

Anyone having a problem with the left outlane pop up post not activating? I can't even get it to engage during coil self test. Game is less than a month old.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Anyone having a problem with the left outlane pop up post not activating? I can't even get it to engage during coil self test.

Check it and the area around it for broken wire, loose connector, loose wire in a connector.

LTG : )

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Anyone having a problem with the left outlane pop up post not activating? I can't even get it to engage during coil self test. Game is less than a month old.

Happened to me. Turned on there was a piece of rubber missing from the bottom of the coil so it was magnetizing to the arm. I put a zip tie in the hole to break contact and that fixed the problem until JJP was able to send the stopper. Also worth nothing, it didn't happened immediately it was after 2 weeks of running the game that it started to stick.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

One thing you can do is add 10 ohm resistors on each of the backbox speakers. This will lower the volume and you'll have to turn it up louder to make it how it was - leaving more bass.

One of these on each speaker http://www.parts-express.com/10-ohm-25w-resistor-wire-wound--017-10. Just remove the wire off the + terminal on each speaker and solder the resistor inline.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

One thing you can do is add 10 ohm resistors on each of the backbox speakers. This will lower the volume and you'll have to turn it up louder to make it how it was - leaving more bass.
One of these on each speaker http://www.parts-express.com/10-ohm-25w-resistor-wire-wound--017-10. Just remove the wire off the + terminal on each speaker and solder the resistor inline.

Nice and simple idea, gonna have to give it a try!

#188 7 years ago

Cool. How many backbox speakers are there?
How well does this work?

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

It shouldn't make any difference if you have a protector or not since the flaps will just come down and rest flat on whatever surface is beneath them. The won't sit flush either way, but on top of the playfield so they will affect ball travel, especially slow moving balls.

EDIT: Some people had some burs on the underside of their flaps they needed to file smooth... maybe check yours for that too.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Since you are familiar with audio in these things I'll ask you this.

Any idea why I'm getting speaker crackle/static/hum constantly? It isn't loud enough to notice when playing, but when it's sitting there at idle you can hear it from across the room. I've been over it 3 times now checking for loose bits, plugging/re-plugging RCAs etc... and have had no luck.

Anyone else's do this? Mine also makes a loud pop noise when it turns on and as it boots it makes a lot of speaker feedback, almost sounds like a dial up modem.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Any idea why I'm getting speaker crackle/static/hum constantly? It isn't loud enough to notice when playing, but when it's sitting there at idle you can hear it from across the room. I've been over it 3 times now checking for loose bits, plugging/re-plugging RCAs etc... and have had no luck.
Anyone else's do this? Mine also makes a loud pop noise when it turns on and as it boots it makes a lot of speaker feedback, almost sounds like a dial up modem.

The pop is normal, but the static/hum sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe the ground braid wasn't attached properly on one of the speakers or on the computer case in the cabinet. Has it been like that since you got the game?

If it's not the ground or some other connector than it might be the sound i/o on the motherboard needs to be repaired or replaced.

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The pop is normal, but the static/hum sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe the ground braid wasn't attached properly on one of the speakers or on the computer case in the cabinet. Has it been like that since you got the game?
If it's not the ground or some other connector than it might be the sound i/o on the motherboard needs to be repaired or replaced.

Been like that since day 1. I never checked the ground braiding. Didn't know how it works or if it was really that important. What would I be looking for there?

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Been like that since day 1. I never checked the ground braiding. Didn't know how it works or if it was really that important. What would I be looking for there?

The ground braid needs to be in contact with any part of the machine that is conductive - so almost everything! The silver braid runs all around the sides of the cabinet and into the head. A screw or staple connecting the braid to the speakers may not have been connected at the factory or may have come loose in transit.

The other place to check the braid is the case in the cabinet with the boards and computer since that's the source of your audio signal.

If ground braid looks connected - I'd show pics but I'm not near my pins today - then I'm thinking the audio components on the computer board may be shoddy. Would probabky need to replace the whole board. I'd contact JJP support, or maybe LTG can chime in with some other things to try.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Perhaps you should try eliminating noise with some ferrite cores.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

#195 7 years ago

Thanks FlippyD and markmon. That gives me something new to check on and try.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Happened to me. Turned on there was a piece of rubber missing from the bottom of the coil so it was magnetizing to the arm. I put a zip tie in the hole to break contact and that fixed the problem until JJP was able to send the stopper. Also worth nothing, it didn't happened immediately it was after 2 weeks of running the game that it started to stick.

Issue resolved! Thanks for your help. I posted a picture just incase someone runs into this issue again. I guess they forgot to include this part in the factory. It took a couple weeks of play before it became magnetized and stopped working.

20161108_094849 (resized).jpg20161108_094849 (resized).jpg

#197 7 years ago

Hey guys, just got a Hobbit ...the ball likes to fly off the wire form on the right (as it whips around under the book). Has anyone worked out a physical tweak to prevent this, or is it merely a matter of dialing in the flipper strength?

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

or is it merely a matter of dialing in the flipper strength?

I'd start there.

LTG : )

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey guys, just got a Hobbit ...the ball likes to fly off the wire form on the right (as it whips around under the book). Has anyone worked out a physical tweak to prevent this, or is it merely a matter of dialing in the flipper strength?

I would try dialing down the flipper strength. That helped stop that issue on my game.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would try dialing down the flipper strength. That helped stop that issue on my game.

Yes and when you do this make sure you can still backhand the right ramp with a cradled ball. Should just barely make it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.