IMG_1003[1] (resized).JPG
20170515_173451 (resized).jpg
IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg
31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 7 years ago

My beast-mechs seem a little out of alignment. When the closed the upper trap doors don't lay flush, causing some air balls. What's the best way to adjust how they lay when closed?

#502 7 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

Are you referring to the area shown below? If so, that was the very first issue I addressed on my machine. See below for my solution... I had to do both fixes on my machine, and the ball now JUST BARELY clears the post... Hopefully it works for you, too!

Not on this machine. Even with the tie moved and the hex oriented like you showed, the ball still doesn't clear the post.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

My beast-mechs seem a little out of alignment. When the closed the upper trap doors don't lay flush, causing some air balls. What's the best way to adjust how they lay when closed?

They should be only so flush that it is quite difficult to get a finger under to lift manually as they aren't actually recessed.

Push down on the edges. Do they move lower or are they already touching the playfield? If any of the corners are up then i'd agree you have an issue.

Beast mechs should be hanging by the door slightly. The small flap springs in the top should be slightly extended under the weight of the beast. This gives it a nice seal.

If they aren't check the rubber stopper below them. Perhaps it is too high. Wind them down a little then manually operate the mech and see if its better.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not on this machine. Even with the tie moved and the hex oriented like you showed, the ball still doesn't clear the post.

On some games you might have to reshape the hex post by grinding it with a dremel or sanding it down.
Another option is to replace it with a narrower post.

You only need a very small clearance for the ball to pass.

If it were my game I would carve the post just enough for the ball to pass with a dremel or chuck it into a drill press and hit it with a file, and then polish it.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Keith is working on the sound popping.

got the filter and it took care of the sounds on my game.

1 week later
#506 7 years ago

Finally got around to adding the Beast mech fixes and newer springs for the drop targets to my game today.

Note that may help others.

I noticed that 3 of the 4 beast mechs had a zip tie that would result in the connection portion of the zip tie smashing into the plastic beast mech fix and slightly preventing the mech from clearning all the way. Overtime it's possible that the zip tie would break and result in the wires being snapped. I just clipped the existing zip ties and replaced it with a new one the opposite way.

20170128_151224 (resized).jpg20170128_151224 (resized).jpg
20170128_150835 (resized).jpg20170128_150835 (resized).jpg

#507 7 years ago

Notes regarding lose beast mech heads.

A few months ago I had one of the beast mech heads on my game come lose and nearly fall off. I fixed it but then noticed while performing the beast mech fix (plastic spacers from JJP update kit) today that nearly all of the screws holding the figure heads were lose.

I would highly recommend checking the two screws holding each of your beast mech heads to see if they are lose, remove them and add Loctite Blue to each screw. If you are going to perform the beast mech fix I would take care of this while doing it as its a pain in the ass to remove all the beast mechs once let alone twice, lol.

Below are the steps for how to perform the fix.

1. Remove the beast mech (5 screws from underneath the playfield + disconnect the 3 connectors)
2. Remove the screws / nut in the picture below. The nut on top is holding down a square piece of plastic, remove the piece of plastic (apply pressure from back to pop off after nut is removed)
20170128_142517 (resized).jpg20170128_142517 (resized).jpg
3. Losen the two screws that hold the beast head metal strip to the mech. The screws do not have to be completely removed
20170128_142712 (resized).jpg20170128_142712 (resized).jpg
4. Tilt the beast head to one side to remove the two screws below. I would recommend only removing one at a time as its a pain to get the holes lined up again when they are both removed. (Note: When tilting note location of the diode below, you do not want to break the solder connection for it).
20170128_142726 (resized).jpg20170128_142726 (resized).jpg
5. Apply Blue Loctite to first screw thread, re-tighten, same steps for the second screw, replace the remaining screws and nut.

Here's a link to the Loctite Blue. Using Loctite Blue will still allow for the screws to be removed later if you ever need to do another repair.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Blue-Threadlocker-6-Milliliter-209728/dp/B000I1RSNS/ref=sr_1_1

51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg51cpjLy0kqL (resized).jpg

Oh, I would also recommend the two magnetic nut drivers from Klein Tools below. These will make the fix above and any repairs to The Hobbit (and other pins) much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-646M-2-Piece-Magnetic/dp/B000936QV0/ref=sr_1_5

31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg31IGxUZPoOL (resized).jpg

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Notes regarding lose beast mech heads.
A few months ago I had one of the beast mech heads on my game come lose and nearly fall off. I fixed it but then noticed while performing the beast mech fix (plastic spacers from JJP update kit) today that nearly all of the screws holding the figure heads were lose.
I would highly recommend checking the two screws holding each of your beast mech heads in to see if they are lose, remove them and add Loctite Blue to each screw.
Below are the steps for how to perform the fix.
1. Remove the beast mech (5 screws from underneath the playfield + disconnect the 3 connectors)
2. Remove the screws / nut in the picture below. The nut on top is holding down a square piece of plastic, remove the piece of plastic (apply pressure from back to pop off after nut is removed)

3. Losen the two screws that hold the beast head metal strip to the mech. The screws do not have to be completely removed

4. Tilt the beast head to one side to remove the two screws below. I would recommend only removing one at a time as its a pain to get the holes lined up again when they are both removed. (Note: When tilting note location of the diode below, you do not want to break the solder connection for it).

5. Apply Blue Loctite to first screw thread, re-tighten, same steps for the second screw, replace the remaining screws and nut.
Here's a link to the Loctite Blue. Using Loctite Blue will still allow for the screws to be removed later if you ever need to do another repair.
amazon.com link »

Oh, I would also recommend the two magnetic nut drivers from Klein Tools below. These will make the fix above and any repairs to The Hobbit (and other pins) much easier.
amazon.com link »

Good Job !
Perfect instructions, thanks.

2 weeks later
#509 7 years ago

Question....Just got a Hobbit, where is the shaker motor setting in the menu?? I guess the prior owner shut it off. Thanks

#510 7 years ago

Coil settings - maximum shaker strength

#511 7 years ago

Thanks, Suprised how non existent this shaker was at medium. Much better at Maximum!

#512 7 years ago

G'day everyone. Just picked up my Hobbit Smaug and in the process of dialing it in.

Some great advice in this thread. One issue I have out of the box, keen to know if this is a common issue: ball traps are happening intermittently at the Smaug lock. Ball gets jammed on the metal ramp just before the magnet that holds the ball prior to dropping it into the hole. It appears that the wire ramp is perhaps not wide enough to allow the ball to travel freely.

Common issue? And is there a known easy fix?

Cheers.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

G'day everyone. Just picked up my Hobbit Smaug and in the process of dialing it in.
Some great advice in this thread. One issue I have out of the box, keen to know if this is a common issue: ball traps are happening intermittently at the Smaug lock. Ball gets jammed on the metal ramp just before the magnet that holds the ball prior to dropping it into the hole. It appears that the wire ramp is perhaps not wide enough to allow the ball to travel freely.
Common issue? And is there a known easy fix?
Cheers.

Check the position of the diverter when it is in the down position. Sometimes the diverter is flared out too much and when it's down it pins the ball between itself and the wall of the ramp. Easy fix: pull playfield forward, reach in from the left side with pliers covered with some cloth to prevent scratching, grab the end of the diverter metal (the deflector) and bend it down just a bit back toward the vertical. This will widen the gap to allow a ball with no momentum to pass easily through.

#514 7 years ago

Check the position of the diverter when it is in the down position. Sometimes the diverter is flared out too much and when it's down it pins the ball between itself and the wall of the ramp. Easy fix: pull playfield forward, reach in from the left side with pliers covered with some cloth to prevent scratching, grab the end of the diverter metal (the deflector) and bend it down just a bit back toward the vertical. This will widen the gap to allow a ball with no momentum to pass easily through.

Yep. I had something similar on mine. Forget exactly what it was but it was a very easy fix as described. See what the ball is getting caught up on and give it a little bend.

#515 7 years ago

I went with transparent rubbers throughout except flippers which I did green. To be honest they are much like the white (on initial look) - but the rubbers tend to 'hold' the color of the surrounding LED colors instead of appearing white.

IMG_1456 (resized).JPGIMG_1456 (resized).JPG
IMG_1457 (resized).JPGIMG_1457 (resized).JPG
IMG_1458 (resized).JPGIMG_1458 (resized).JPG

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I went with transparent rubbers throughout except flippers which I did green. To be honest they are much like the white (on initial look) - but the rubbers tend to 'hold' the color of the surrounding LED colors instead of appearing white.

I've also started replacing my rubbers with transparent and like the look. The exception is the green for the bottom flippers and blue for the upper flipper to try to match the playfield.

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I had transparent on my slings but they cracked off really fast in 20 games.
Went back to STC white, seems to be holding up as it should.
Let us know how they are wearing as I also like the look a lot.

Im using Titan silicone bands on my TH and on my WOZ with the exception of the munchkin flipper, I chose a black urethane super band from pinball life, it hits really hard.

I really like the Titan flipper bands they feel like fresh rubber, grab the ball better and dont get as dirty. I also chose green for the TH and red for the WOZ.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had transparent on my slings but they cracked off really fast in 20 games.
Went back to STC white, seems to be holding up as it should.
Let us know how they are wearing as I also like the look a lot.
Im using Titan silicone bands on my TH and on my WOZ with the exception of the munchkin flipper, I chose a black urethane super band from pinball life, it hits really hard.
I really like the Titan flipper bands they feel like fresh rubber, grab the ball better and dont get as dirty. I also chose green for the TH and red for the WOZ.

will do - they seem to holding up as well as the whites for me. But I like them fresh - so I change them fairly often (every 3 - 4 months)

#519 7 years ago

Has anyone gotten an extra barrel to put on the third pop bumper cap? I've always felt that third one looked unfinished.

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Has anyone gotten an extra barrel to put on the third pop bumper cap? I've always felt that third one looked unfinished.

I was considering getting a replacement of the second (no rider) one and then modifying it to fit.

I then looked at the clearances and found it wouldn't fit below the rail without large changes and which is probably why they were never originally made.

I'm going to look into making one myself similar to the rider one when I get my new work space.

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I was considering getting a replacement of the second (no rider) one and then modifying it to fit.
I then looked at the clearances and found it wouldn't fit below the rail without large changes and which is probably why they were never originally made.
I'm going to look into making one myself similar to the rider one when I get my new work space.

There was one with the feet out in a prototype. That would be a good one to get if possible.

#522 7 years ago

Can anyone suggest a way to adjust the beast mechs so they don't rub on the back side of the hole? I've also been looking for a fix for the beast mech wires rubbing i know someone posted one a wwhile back using a washer but i can't find the post. Thanks

#523 7 years ago

Raise the beast mech by pushing it up from below, then while it's raised, bend it forward a little, let it go, see if it's correct, repeat if necessary.

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Can anyone suggest a way to adjust the beast mechs so they don't rub on the back side of the hole? I've also been looking for a fix for the beast mech wires rubbing i know someone posted one a wwhile back using a washer but i can't find the post. Thanks

Page 46 of the owners thread ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/46#post-3426459).

1 week later
#526 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I must have been dreaming 2 or is 3 now years ago when I was in on the pre-order. I thought someone was working on this mod, but since I now bought a BA edition, I can't seem to find the original discussion anywhere.

#527 7 years ago

I wasn't sure if their warning in their of "Danger : Use at your own risk"was real or if they were just trying to be funny. I only set mine to high because I was paranoid.

#528 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I wasn't sure if their warning in their of "Danger : Use at your own risk"was real or if they were just trying to be funny. I only set mine to high because I was paranoid.

LOL...I've had both my WOZ and TH set to extreme since day one. It's the only way to go.

#529 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I must have been dreaming 2 or is 3 now years ago when I was in on the pre-order. I thought someone was working on this mod, but since I now bought a BA edition, I can't seem to find the original discussion anywhere.

I guess I assumed at the very least Matt at Back Alley would sell something. This seems to be the one thing screaming unfinished to me.

#530 7 years ago

I have been waiting on some additional hobbit mods from Matt for some time - hope he gets something to add to the game. His WOZ mods were so amazing they put them on the RR

#531 7 years ago

So, what I am seeing is, my goblin head is auto hitting itself. I looked at the goblin head and listened when pressing it. It doesn't sound or seem to feel any different from the other beast heads. Not sure if I am imagining it, but it almost looks when it pops up, it is jiggling a bit more than the other heads. I can't seem to find anything to adjust though. I was debating trying to tighten things up on the whole mech using the steps above to remove the whole thing, but not sure I fully understand how the actual trap door fits through the playfield. I figured I would ask here before I start taking it apart.

Any ideas?

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

So, what I am seeing is, my goblin head is auto hitting itself. I looked at the goblin head and listened when pressing it. It doesn't sound or seem to feel any different from the other beast heads. Not sure if I am imagining it, but it almost looks when it pops up, it is jiggling a bit more than the other heads. I can't seem to find anything to adjust though. I was debating trying to tighten things up on the whole mech using the steps above to remove the whole thing, but not sure I fully understand how the actual trap door fits through the playfield. I figured I would ask here before I start taking it apart.
Any ideas?

it is a typical leaf switch (pop bumpers, slingshot switch, eos switch, stand up switch, etc) and you need to adjust the leafs to be a little more open on so that they are not as sensitive. the way that i do it is to hold the "trap door" up and with the other hand adjust the leaf switch.

this is a video for a stand up target on a Theater of Magic, but it is the same concept since the beast head is a stand up switch in side of the mech.

#533 7 years ago

Thank you! I had no idea it was a leaf switch. That was easy. This machine has so much going on, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

it is a typical leaf switch (pop bumpers, slingshot switch, eos switch, stand up switch, etc) and you need to adjust the leafs to be a little more open on so that they are not as sensitive. the way that i do it is to hold the "trap door" up and with the other hand adjust the leaf switch.
» YouTube video
this is a video for a stand up target on a Theater of Magic, but it is the same concept since the beast head is a stand up switch in side of the mech.

#534 7 years ago

Im doing the ramp flap fix and have a question about the kit. They sent the short rivots that you use a rivot clincher on that you see on all ramps that i thought was all you used to re-attach the ramps. My question is what are the long 2" pop rivots for they also sent in the kit?

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Im doing the ramp flap fix and have a question about the kit. They sent the short rivots that you use a rivot clincher on that you see on all ramps that i thought was all you used to re-attach the ramps. My question is what are the long 2" pop rivots for they also sent in the kit?

Since most people dont have a rivet press or even a proper river clincher, JJP sent you some pop-rivets.
They know that you might have a pop-rivet gun or can get one really cheap if needed from The Home Depot or harbor freight...

The pop-rivets are not ideal for route operations, but should hold up pretty good in a home environment.
They dont hold as tight as the pressed ones though.

I used the regular rivets since I have the press from pinrescue as well as the hand clicher from hanson rivets as well as the easy press from pinball life (I know its way over kill on my part but I got the tools over a period of years...).

#536 7 years ago

I have 100 plays on my LE and the sling rubber is already deteriorating and cut slightly where the kicker hits it. anyone else having issues like this and seeing rapid wear?

#537 7 years ago

i have seen this before. pinball companies (most, not all) use the cheap standard rubbers. there is no indication how long they sat at the manufactures plant, how long they sat at the pinball assembly plant, etc. I would say if you got 4000-5000 active kicks out of it you are doing good. if you are looking for longer lasting, look at the poly urethane ones.

something like this

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3184

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have 100 plays on my LE and the sling rubber is already deteriorating and cut slightly where the kicker hits it. anyone else having issues like this and seeing rapid wear?

Yes, 1 of the rubbers broke on mine on the side. And one up in the pops

#539 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have had a lot of variability on rubber lately. A couple games I added new rubber too had things break quickly. I chalk it up to variable product. If it keeps breaking that is something else!

#540 7 years ago

Since most people dont have a rivet press or even a proper river clincher, JJP sent you some pop-rivets.
They know that you might have a pop-rivet gun or can get one really cheap if needed from The Home Depot or harbor freight...
The pop-rivets are not ideal for route operations, but should hold up pretty good in a home environment.
They dont hold as tight as the pressed ones though.
I used the regular rivets since I have the press from pinrescue as well as the hand clicher from hanson rivets as well as the easy press from pinball life (I know its way over kill on my part but I got the tools over a period of years...).

Both myself and falconpunch used the solid rivets. Just flip the ramp onto something flat and hard (ie. a vice) and gently tap with a hammer. They will deform well enough to hold and look like a factory rivet on top

#541 7 years ago

Yeah I taped mine with the end of a large drill bit first. That made them mushroom - then hit with hammer

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I had the same cut marks going from the slings as well three weeks in. Replaced with white silicone bands and have not noticed any cutting or other issues now for months. I would also recommend looking at replacing the third sling (upper left) as well as the top rubber in the pops, or at least having replacements for these on hand.

2 months later
#543 6 years ago

Anyone had issues with the shooter rod clipping the edge of the auto-launch bracket? Result is a very sluggish shooter!! Auto-launch bracket seems really sloppy, but appears to be intact with all parts secure. And the auto-launch itself works just fine.

Any suggestions? This seemed to just happen all of sudden, rather than a gradual trend.

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Anyone had issues with the shooter rod clipping the edge of the auto-launch bracket? Result is a very sluggish shooter!! Auto-launch bracket seems really sloppy, but appears to be intact with all parts secure. And the auto-launch itself works just fine.
Any suggestions? This seemed to just happen all of sudden, rather than a gradual trend.

Check that everything is screwed down tight.
The shooter housing can be adjusted via the 3 nuts inside the cabinet.
Check that the playfield is hanging properly and isnt crooked in the cabinet.
With a ball in the shooter lane the shooter rod should hit it straight on the center of the ball.
Also rotate the shooter rod and see if its bent.
Check the shooter rod rubber tip for wear, it shouldnt be crooked.

#545 6 years ago

I added a small amount of tape under the brackets on both sides to raise the PF by a very small amount to allow the shooter rod to shoot smooth again. But is a short term fix - I need to go in and figure out what the real issue is - it may just need to be reattached. I don't see any bend in the shooter rod - but I would probably need to remove it to be certain.

#546 6 years ago

I'll be having a league night at my house in a few weeks. Many members have insisted that Hobbit be in the rotation, but I'm reluctant because of the long ball times.

I'm too lazy to read through 11 pages of posts; does anyone have any suggestions about setting up Hobbit for league play? Some things I will be doing:
- set the pitch to 7 degrees
- remove the centre post
- open up the outlanes

Are there any settings that can be manipulated to keep ball times relatively short (+/-5 minutes)?

#547 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I'll be having a league night at my house in a few weeks. Many members have insisted that Hobbit be in the rotation, but I'm reluctant because of the long ball times.
I'm too lazy to read through 11 pages of posts; does anyone have any suggestions about setting up Hobbit for league play? Some things I will be doing:
- set the pitch to 7 degrees
- remove the centre post
- open up the outlanes
Are there any settings that can be manipulated to keep ball times relatively short (+/-5 minutes)?

I believe you can adjust how hard it is to make it through the map as well as how hard it is to get Into Smaug multiball. The difficulty setting for Gollum can be adjusted too. You can also turn off ball saves/extra ball.

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Your playfield brackets that hang where the lockdown bar goes have probably sagged. Bend them back to a sharp "L" and that lifts the PF enough to stop that. It also fixes a start button that suddenly stops working. It's a heavy playfield and the brackets are ALMOST up to the task.

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I added a small amount of tape under the brackets on both sides to raise the PF by a very small amount to allow the shooter rod to shoot smooth again. But is a short term fix - I need to go in and figure out what the real issue is - it may just need to be reattached. I don't see any bend in the shooter rod - but I would probably need to remove it to be certain.

I agree with bending the front playfield hangers down a hair.
Probably the lock bar receiver is a hair low.

On a couple of my games I have thin washers under the front hangers to make it perfect due to a low receiver.
Its a pain to raise the receiver, you have to dowel the holes and re drill.

#550 6 years ago

I agree with bending the front playfield hangers down a hair.
Probably the lock bar receiver is a hair low.
On a couple of my games I have thin washers under the front hangers to make it perfect due to a low receiver.
Its a pain to raise the receiver, you have to dowel the holes and re drill.

The hangars on the one I maintained actually sagged over time. I think the metal is too soft for such a heavy playfield. I had to adjust it twice in 6 months to bring the PF up a couple mm and relieve pressure on the back of the start button and/or shooter rod/kicker issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments/page/11?hl=swampy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.