6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Boatshoe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0005 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ledman62:

Which modes if completed gets a rune? I know if I complete a mode very early in the game I don't get a rune. If I complete a mode after a multi ball and a lot of shots have been made I noticed I will get a rune. Is there some stipulation of which and when to complete a mode to get a rune for it?
    Thanks

Quoted from FlippyD:

Understanding the basics of the game isn't too hard but I have yet to see somebody fully and completely explain what the secret scoring sauce is. There's all these little things you can do like choose what order your modes go in, complete your modes differently, build the spinner then do modes. Apparently it can lead to huge scores if you know exactly what paths to take.
    But nobody has written a guide explaining exactly when/how you do all this stuff and it's way way way too much to juggle in your mind while actually trying to play the game. I've owned the game a full year now and still have absolutely no clue about many of the scoring techniques. It would be great if there was a video or guide that really drilled down into Keith's epic rule set. Not just how to start wizard modes but how to piece together an amazing score. Why put all these things in the game and explain none of them anywhere???

While the rules are straight forward, they lack a few good tweaks (unstacking beast mb and requiring more mode completions to earn a rune) the related scoring is hard to follow. Funny, I never thought about the importance of scoring on TH, as it is more of an adventure game and a quest to see more stuff. Your suggestion is a good one - we need a video to outline some strategies and learn their impact on scoring. I'd like to see a video now myself, but would also like to see one after code adjustments are made.

Short of this happening, there is something you can do to learn more. Buy a $75 stand for your iPad or Galaxy phone and set it up to record your game play. Nothing fancy is needed but don't cheap out. Turn your camera feature on and switch it to video mode. Secure it to your new stand and turn the camera lens around with selfie button. When ready - press record and begin playing your Hobbit. If you are still alive after thirty minutes, open the coin door, stop recording and take a break. Return, shut the door, start a new recording and play the game out. It might be heresy to suggest, but if you bump up the number of balls per game in the menu, you'll get further. This will lead to longer games and more video footage to examine.

Save your video files to the cloud and then go to your computer to retrieve the files and watch them on a big screen. Suggest looking for periods where you notice big increases to scoring and then rewind to see what triggered it and figure what set it up. Sounds complicated but really is just a matter of recording your play (which captures your score and some amazing video), maybe increasing your balls per game setting and then watching the videos. You will begin to see things clearly. For a minimal investment you have a cool new tool in your bag. Oh and once you figure it out .... make your own tutorial and upload to YouTube please.

IMG_0005 (resized).PNGIMG_0005 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-rules?tu=jeffspinballpalace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.