image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
ballstuck_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160408_074023_(resized).jpg
12241428_995112147227655_4257659762794450645_n_(resized).jpg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Last night I had the opportunity to play a on location Hobbit with a few friends. This was the first time I played the game since playing it at last years Michigan Pinball Expo which was held a year ago. At the time I felt the game played rather slow, that there wasn't a lot of shots to hit and as I've made reference before "the ball just felt like it was ping ponging all over the place". I've also noticed that there's been a good deal of of criticism facing the game lately, a lot of which is coming from people that have either never played the game or made up their minds about it a year or two ago. Even as a JJP supporter and fan I noticed that I let that some of that negative feedback alter my view on the game before I even gave it a fair shot.

Quick thought: The experience I had last night playing The Hobbit was a complete 180 from what I had over a year ago at The Michigan Pinball Expo.

Below is breakdown by category of my opinion on the game

Code version: .83
Model: Smaug SE

Gameplay

The game no longer felt like the ball was just "ping ponging all over the place". Although the games flipper power still needed to be cranked up a bit I felt the game did not play slow and flowed fairly well. Also, I've complained before about a lack of shots on the game. Well, I can see now that as Keith and Ted add more to the code that the "lack of shots" thought didn't even come across my mind as you start to see shots open up in the game in unique ways. It's easy while not seeing the game to think "There's just a bunch of drop targets and pop ups in the game, those are not really shots". I probably would have agreed with that comment before I played the game but not any longer. Even though the game was running software version .83 you can see how Keith and Ted will take advantage of all of the games drop targets and pop ups in unique ways. With the way the drop targets act you can have a shot to a standup target between two drop targets, that's pretty cool. Also, the pop ups themselves can be hit from behind which when combined with the ramp divertor opens up even more shot possibilities.

Sound

It was nice to finally play the game in an environment where I could actually hear the game. We all know that the game looks beautiful (it sure does) but it also sounds incredible. David Thiel has worked on a lot of top games and you hear his work in every aspect of The Hobbit. I noticed at least one mode where the sound for hitting an orbit shot changed due to being in that particular mode, a nice touch. You can already tell that there is a great deal of effort and detail being put into the games audio work. The music on the game, done by "Two Steps from Hell", sounds impressive and we still have yet to hear the complete soundtrack they created for the game due the game running fairly early code. If the game already sounds this good just wait until the rest of Davids work and the Two Steps from Hell soundtrack is in the game.

Rules / code: The game I played was running software version .83 and you can tell it's still fairly early code. Besides Smaug multiball I noticed a handful of hurry up modes and traditional modes starting. However, I don't believe the traditional modes in the game are 100% complete as they didn't really give me a feel of being in the mode compared to say while playing LOTR when more unique sounds and animations are played for each mode. The code overall was certainly further along then what I played at the Michigan Pinball Expo a year ago. There is not a doubt in my mind that the game will only get better from here thanks to Keith and Teds code work. Those guys did and are still doing an incredible job supporting WOZ's code, the best in pinball I've always said. With JJP they are batting a 1000 in terms of code support and being transparent about the status of code. As I've said in another thread "Don't underestimate the power of the Keefer"

Value

Does the game offer as much value as JJP's previous title The Wizard of Oz? WOZ seemed to be a special case, almost like Twilight Zone, where a calculator wasn't used to make the game and everything that could be put into the game was included. The Hobbit, although not as loaded compared to WOZ in my opinion, still offers a ton of value. Value cannot be judged by toys / features alone but also by the amount and quality of work put into a games rules, audio and animations. With TH you have two of the best pinball programmers of all time, Keith Johnson and Ted Estes, working on the games rules. The rules that I've seen in Keiths other games games, LOTR, TSPP, WOZ, are not just traditional rules found in other games. Keith Johnson has a gift for telling a themes story through code and making a player feel as if they are on a quest. That alone adds a lot of value to a game. The Hobbit is set to have over 30 modes, I'll say that again, over 30 modes! This is a game, like LOTR, TSPP, and WOZ, that you can own for 10 years and will always have an objective for you to achieve. Also, the value of David Thiels audio work and The Two Steps from Hell soundtrack adds a lot to the value factor as well. I recall David himself saying at a show that he's putting more effort into The Hobbit then any other game he's worked on. We know David has done a great job on his other games and that same quality and fun factor to the sounds can already be heard on the Hobbit even with early code. The "Two Steps from Hell" soundtrack offers a lot of value as well. The group has worked on major Hollywood films, such as Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean, and it's just awesome to hear that level of quality in a pinball machine. Finally, the games animations from JP are impressive to say the least. The layout and design of the screen is slick and the animations themselves are high quality and only help immersive the player more in the world of Middle Earth.

Concerns / complaints

One complaint I have about The Hobbit is the look of the backglass due to the type of LED bulb being used (6500k I think?) to light it. JJP should put a warmer tone bulb in the backglass to give it more warm tones as the 6500K bulbs wash out the look of the artwork on the backglass. Second, the look of the apron is lackluster to say the least. Sadly the beautiful clear coated wood apron on WOZ ECLE with a slick numbered LE plaque is gone and has been replaced by a sticker over a bare metal apron with a decal for the games number. A game as beautiful and impressive looking as The Hobbit should have come with the clear coated wood apron and a more impressive looking LE plaque as for $8k-$9k stickers do not cut it. Also, the lack of colored GI is also disappointing and I don't understand why JJP omitted the feature from the game. The game itself played great and I didn't notice any mechanical issues.

Conclusion

Give The Hobbit a chance and don't fall into the mindset that reading some of the negative feedback can provide as a good deal of that negative feedback is coming from people that never played the game or did so over a year ago. I let that negative feedback warp my own view of the game and I almost didn't give it a fair shot because of it. What I saw last night is a very impressive looking, sounding and playing pinball machine. As I said at the start of my review the experience was a complete 180 from what I had over a year ago at the Michigan Pinball Expo. If you have a chance to play the game on location play it and if you are an owner of the game I think you are in for a treat once the code is completed. After playing the game last night I'm at least partially considering selling one of my current titles to purchase the game.

Well done JJP

20160406_193457_(resized).jpg20160406_193457_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

A few notes on some of the LE / SE features.

The powder coat job on the game is incredible. This isn't just painted coated armor but rather a high quality, durable and beautiful hammered looking powder coat.

Invisiglass and a shaker motor is still included on the LE / SE which are nice features to have at that level.

The Smaug cabinet artwork also looks great and certainly pops. I'm still not sure I like the gold colored Smaug toy. I think the standard red Smaug would blend in a bit better with the game

#3 8 years ago

Another pic

20160406_191037_(resized).jpg20160406_191037_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

I got to play it at the Ohio show last weekend and was very impressed so -- I'm now in the market for a Hobbit (LE/SE), please PM me if you have one for sale.

Bill
Cleveland, OH

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to get mine. And with regular updates, it's going to be like playing a new game every few months! Incredibly excited!

Only comment I have is regarding the apron. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the wood apron on WOZ ECLE looks ridiculous and totally out of place. If WOZ ECLE was a wood rail, old time game, then OK - the wood apron would fit. I've seen it in person and was left with a lackluster feeling. I'm perfectly happy with the run-of-the-mill metal apron and decal. JMHO - perhaps I'll have a change of heart when I finally see TH's apron in the flesh.

If you want to see a bad apron, have a look at either The Avengers or The Transformers The Pin - a sheet of plastic supported by some hex posts and the metal guide rails behind the flippers! Granted, it listed for about a third the price of TH when new, but wow, it is cheap!!!!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Last night I had the opportunity to play a on location Hobbit with a few friends. This was the first time I played the game since playing it at last years Michigan Pinball Expo which was held a year ago. At the time I felt the game played rather slow, that there wasn't a lot of shots to hit and as I've made reference before "the ball just felt like it was ping ponging all over the place". I've also noticed that there's been a good deal of of criticism facing the game lately, a lot of which is coming from people that have either never played the game or made up their minds about it a year or two ago. Even as a JJP supporter and fan I noticed that I let that some of that negative feedback alter my view on the game before I even gave it a fair shot.
Quick thought: The experience I had last night playing The Hobbit was a complete 180 from what I had over a year ago at The Michigan Pinball Expo.
Below is breakdown by category of my opinion on the game
Code version: .83
Model: Smaug SE
Gameplay
The game no longer felt like the ball was just "ping ponging all over the place". Although the games flipper power still needed to be cranked up a bit I felt the game did not play slow and flowed fairly well. Also, I've complained before about a lack of shots on the game. Well, I can see now that as Keith and Ted add more to the code that the "lack of shots" thought didn't even come across my mind as you start to see shots open up in the game in unique ways. It's easy while not seeing the game to think "There's just a bunch of drop targets and pop ups in the game, those are not really shots". I probably would have agreed with that comment before I played the game but not any longer. Even though the game was running software version .83 you can see how Keith and Ted will take advantage of all of the games drop targets and pop ups in unique ways. With the way the drop targets act you can have a shot to a standup target between two drop targets, that's pretty cool. Also, the pop ups themselves can be hit from behind which when combined with the ramp divertor opens up even more shot possibilities.
Sound
It was nice to finally play the game in an environment where I could actually hear the game. We all know that the game looks beautiful (it sure does) but it also sounds incredible. David Thiel has worked on a lot of top games and you hear his work in every aspect of The Hobbit. I noticed at least one mode where the sound for hitting an orbit shot changed due to being in that particular mode, a nice touch. You can already tell that there is a great deal of effort and detail being put into the games audio work. The music on the game, done by "Two Steps from Hell", sounds impressive and we still have yet to hear the complete soundtrack they created for the game due the game running fairly early code. If the game already sounds this good just wait until the rest of Davids work and the Two Steps from Hell soundtrack is in the game.
Rules / code: The game I played was running software version .83 and you can tell it's still fairly early code. Besides Smaug multiball I noticed a handful of hurry up modes and traditional modes starting. However, I don't believe the traditional modes in the game are 100% complete as they didn't really give me a feel of being in the mode compared to say while playing LOTR when more unique sounds and animations are played for each mode. The code overall was certainly further along then what I played at the Michigan Pinball Expo a year ago. There is not a doubt in my mind that the game will only get better from here thanks to Keith and Teds code work. Those guys did and are still doing an incredible job supporting WOZ's code, the best in pinball I've always said. With JJP they are batting a 1000 in terms of code support and being transparent about the status of code. As I've said in another thread "Don't underestimate the power of the Keefer"
Value
Does the game offer as much value as JJP's previous title The Wizard of Oz? WOZ seemed to be a special case, almost like Twilight Zone, where a calculator wasn't used to make the game and everything that could be put into the game was included. The Hobbit, although not as loaded compared to WOZ in my opinion, still offers a ton of value. Value cannot be judged by toys / features alone but also by the amount and quality of work put into a games rules, audio and animations. With TH you have two of the best pinball programmers of all time, Keith Johnson and Ted Estes, working on the games rules. The rules that I've seen in Keiths other games games, LOTR, TSPP, WOZ, are not just traditional rules found in other games. Keith Johnson has a gift for telling a themes story through code and making a player feel as if they are on a quest. That alone adds a lot of value to a game. The Hobbit is set to have over 30 modes, I'll say that again, over 30 modes! This is a game, like LOTR, TSPP, and WOZ, that you can own for 10 years and will always have an objective for you to achieve. Also, the value of David Thiels audio work and The Two Steps from Hell soundtrack adds a lot to the value factor as well. I recall David himself saying at a show that he's putting more effort into The Hobbit then any other game he's worked on. We know David has done a great job on his other games and that same quality and fun factor to the sounds can already be heard on the Hobbit even with early code. The "Two Steps from Hell" soundtrack offers a lot of value as well. The group has worked on major Hollywood films, such as Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean, and it's just awesome to hear that level of quality in a pinball machine. Finally, the games animations from JP are impressive to say the least. The layout and design of the screen is slick and the animations themselves are high quality and only help immersive the player more in the world of Middle Earth.
Concerns / complaints
One complaint I have about The Hobbit is the look of the backglass due to the type of LED bulb being used (6500k I think?) to light it. JJP should put a warmer tone bulb in the backglass to give it more warm tones as the 6500K bulbs wash out the look of the artwork on the backglass. Second, the look of the apron is lackluster to say the least. Sadly the beautiful clear coated wood apron on WOZ ECLE with a slick numbered LE plaque is gone and has been replaced by a sticker over a bare metal apron with a decal for the games number. A game as beautiful and impressive looking as The Hobbit should have come with the clear coated wood apron and a more impressive looking LE plaque as for $8k-$9k stickers do not cut it. Also, the lack of colored GI is also disappointing and I don't understand why JJP omitted the feature from the game. The game itself played great and I didn't notice any mechanical issues.
Conclusion
Give The Hobbit a chance and don't fall into the mindset that reading some of the negative feedback can provide as a good deal of that negative feedback is coming from people that never played the game or did so over a year ago. I let that negative feedback warp my own view of the game and I almost didn't give it a fair shot because of it. What I saw last night is a very impressive looking, sounding and playing pinball machine. As I said at the start of my review the experience was a complete 180 from what I had over a year ago at the Michigan Pinball Expo. If you have a chance to play the game on location play it and if you are an owner of the game I think you are in for a treat once the code is completed. After playing the game last night I'm at least partially considering selling one of my current titles to purchase the game.
Well done JJP
20160406_193457_(resized).jpg

Great review panzer.
When I played hobbit a month ago, I had not read many, if any, reviews leading up to it. I had no desire to have one so had no care to research the history or thoughts surrounding the pin. My first couple plays on it were just like the negative reviews we've heard over and over - open layout, nothing to shoot, etc... The one I played was setup nice, and as I learned the shots and rules, I became blown away. Played it that night for 6 hours (with many others).

After playing it, I got intrigued and started reading up on it more and to my dismay, I couldn't believe all the negativite reviews.

So it's reassuring to hear a review like yours as it totally relates to my experience.

#7 8 years ago

Great review, thanks.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

After playing it, I got intrigued and started reading up on it more and to my dismay, I couldn't believe all the negativite reviews.

Same, I was almost dreading to play after all the negativity before I went to play it. My son and I really enjoyed playing it - keeping my order.

#9 8 years ago

Reading the negative stuff does make you feel gutted. That said I'm not going to cancel my order off the back of some Stern fanboys. If the game is not to my taste I'll sell it later on, my gut feeling is that I'm going to like the game. I'm a fan of both Joe Balcer and Keith, looking forward to see how it all pans out.

#10 8 years ago

Thx for the review I played it a year ago and you have confirmed my belief that JJP will make this a real winner. I can't wait for my Smaug.

I'm surprised the trolls haven't invaded the thread yet. I guess it's hard to refute actual play time with nothing to back it up but a bad attitude.

#11 8 years ago

I played it at Jackbar last week and thought it was great!!!

I have one small complaint,and this goes for GoT as well........no more buttons on the lockdown bar!!!!!!

Enough already!!!What every game is going to have a "video game" button on it now!!!!I don't want to take my hands off the flipper buttons!!!!! It disrupts the feel and flow.Stop it.We already have enough games with it.Y'all can stop now.Or just take a break for like 5 titles.Rant over.Thanks for listening.

#12 8 years ago

I find it getting even better with age.
Nice review Panzer!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I have one small complaint,and this goes for GoT as well........no more buttons on the lockdown bar!!!!!!

I don't mind when it's for something like the cannon in AC/DC, where my hands are off the flipper buttons already. But when you're in the middle of ripping up a multi-ball on Star Trek and know you've got enough hits to finish but don't have a second to punch it? The other day I honestly considered trying to use my nose. =)

I've said it elsewhere, as the game gets dialed in and people start to play it more I really do believe the genius of the machine will show itself. It's completely worth the asking price, in my opinion. I'm pretty stoked to see where the code goes from here.

#14 8 years ago

I don't want to take my hands off the flipper buttons!!!!! It disrupts the feel and flow.

I think you need to get better at feeling & flowing

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you need to get better at feeling & flowing

I feel like Im feeling and flowing pretty well,thank you very much.Does every fricking game have to have a fricking button on the fricking lockdown bar?Please tell me GB doesn't have one.

#16 8 years ago

Nice, thoughtful review Jared. Where did you play?

Comparing it to a WOZECLE, the apron does look cheap but its a step up from just a regular molded plastic piece with paper inserts. I really enjoyed playing it at TPF.

#17 8 years ago

Does every fricking game have to have a fricking button on the fricking lockdown bar?Please tell me GB doesn't have one.

Ha only recent games have them, and not even all of them...that's still like 1% of all machines

GB does NOT if I recall.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha only recent games have them, and not even all of them...that's still like 1% of all machines
GB does NOT if I recall.

Thank the pinball gods!!!!

#19 8 years ago

Thank the pinball gods!!!!

No button...but kind of only 1 ramp...so we'll see how that goes

#20 8 years ago

I think the Hobbit is an absolute masterpiece. I just cringe at all the negativity on pinside in regards to this pin. I also really feel in the minority here but Ghostbusters does absolutely nothing for me, I don't know if its the theme or what but it just isn't the pin for me. I don't think I've read anyone post that they don't like Ghostbusters, maybe I'm the first. The Hobbit is a top 10 pin in my opinion, although with all the Stern fans it will never rank there on pinside.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I think the Hobbit is an absolute masterpiece. I just cringe at all the negativity on pinside in regards to this pin. I also really feel in the minority here but Ghostbusters does absolutely nothing for me, I don't know if its the theme or what but it just isn't the pin for me. I don't think I've read anyone post that they don't like Ghostbusters, maybe I'm the first. The Hobbit is a top 10 pin in my opinion, although with all the Stern fans it will never rank there on pinside.

It takes all kinds man...some people like some games, some people like others. It's only when you get bent out of shape if people don' like the game you do that it gets truly annoying.

There are plenty of people "cringing" the fact your rated Hobbit a perfect 10 in the current incomplete state it is, and then obviously rate Sterns super low. Personally I don't get give shits, but some people get bothered by it.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It takes all kinds man...some people like some games, some people like others. It's only when you get bent out of shape if people don' like the game you do that it gets truly annoying.
There are plenty of people "cringing" the fact your rated Hobbit a perfect 10 in the current incomplete state it is, and then obviously rate Sterns super low. Personally I don't get give shits, but some people get bothered by it.

I didn't rate WOZ very high. I rated the Hobbit a 10 because I truly think it is a 10. The lightshow, art, lcd screen and gameplay are all a 10 to me. I rated my Star Trek Pro pretty decent when I first got it, then realized it was all "flash" and no substance, then I changed my rating. Honestly, when I received my NIB Star Trek Pro and I opened the box I was initially unimpressed. I think it is because I played a lot of widebody pins growing up and I don't like Stern's narrow body. I think that puts me again in the minority of pinside members, I've lost count how many times people complain about JJP's decision to go wide. I love widebody pins! Also, I've only rated pins that I've actually played, a lot of pinsiders probably can't claim that. Some reviews I read are so bogus, I doubt many times that they've actually played the machine.

#23 8 years ago

I played Hobbit,GoT,and Whoa Nellie back to back to back.And loved them all for their own charms.

Quoted from TheLaw:some people like some games, some people like others.

Its totally subjective.Play what you like.

#24 8 years ago

I've play two different Hobbits, one at TPF and one the last four weeks at league night. The game is beautiful. The sound is second to none and the gameplay is garbage. Zero amount of code will fix a bad shooter.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I think it is because I played a lot of widebody pins growing up and I don't like Stern's narrowbody. I think that puts me again in the minority of pinside members, I've lost count how many times people complain about JJP's decision to go wide.

I'll agree with people complaining aboot being a widebody, which I find strange as well. But I also find it strange you wouldn't like "stern narrowbody"...diff'rent strokes.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll agree with people complaining aboot being a widebody, which I find strange as well. But I also find it strange you wouldn't like "stern narrowbody"...diff'rent strokes.

Well, after I got my Star Trek Pro and set it up I couldn't help but think how tiny it all looked. We previously had an old Space Invaders and I also grew up playing Paragon, both widebody pins. My ST Pro seemed to small for the amount of money I paid. I'm not closing the door to Stern, if they come out with a pin I really love I'd buy it. The funny thing is that I am a HUGE Star Trek fan, it was hard to sell it only because of the theme, that tells you how bored I was with the gameplay.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

We previously had an old Space Invaders and I also grew up playing Paragon,..

Ha 99% of games are going to feel small after those 2 beasts

Well you pay for the width. You can get a New Stern for 4.6-5K, or a JJP for what...8.5-9kish

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha 99% of games are going to feel small after those 2 beasts
Well you pay for the width. You can get a New Stern for 4.6-5K, or a JJP for what...8.5-9kish

Yea, JJP is not cheap! That is the only thing so far that has stopped me from buying a Hobbit. I'm waiting until MGC on Saturday, going to be forming some opinions on what to buy next, most likely will end up being a Hobbit. I do have $850 Paragon that someone is willing to sell me, playfield isn't that great though. CPR now has a message about the artwork needing to be redone on Paragon, so now I'm a little hesitant to buy the Paragon pin because I don't know if CPR will actually end up making the Paragon playfields. I sent CPR an email, just to get more info about how likely it will be that Paragon gets made but they don't answer emails it seems.

#29 8 years ago

You know, another thing I've thought about. With the general attitude among most being negative about the Hobbit - will that drive down the resale value down the road? I sold my Star Trek Pro really quick, and got a good price for it. I've been a little worried about resale value of the Hobbit, we all seem to eventually sell our pins right? Will we all take a HUGE hit on this pin if we decide to sell it someday?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

With the general attitude among most being negative about the Hobbit - will that drive down the resale value down the road?

Not likely. WOZ gets just as much flack and it's still selling for a huge price.

Quoted from craigj:

CPR now has a message about the artwork needing to be redone on Paragon, so now I'm a little hesitant to buy the Paragon pin because I don't know if CPR will actually end up making the Paragon playfields.

I wouldn't buy a machine hoping for a CPR playfield to get done personally...unless I was just going to pack it away in the corner for a few years.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

You know, another thing I've thought about. With the general attitude among most being negative about the Hobbit - will that drive down the resale value down the road? I sold my Star Trek Pro really quick, and got a good price for it. I've been a little worried about resale value of the Hobbit, we all seem to eventually sell our pins right? Will we all take a HUGE hit on this pin if we decide to sell it someday?

I think it's way, way too early for that. Most people realize it's going to take some more time for relatively complete code. There have been many recent machines (if not most?) with not-so-great code in the beginning, people don't care for their machines, and then after a certain period of time people love them.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

It really hasn't been the case with Woz. The used ECLE's are still priced between $7.5K-$8K. The early preorder folks are still selling for more than the purchase price. And there were really serious problems with Woz upon delivery. TH complaints are minor in comparison.

Quoted from Cdoubleu1:

Zero amount of code will fix a bad shooter.

This appears to be false. It is contradicted by the recent code in Woz. We heard the exact same argument with Woz, that the layout is just no fun to shoot. And many people claim TSPP is clunky and no fun. I couldn't disagree more. Great code makes games fun. Themes can't be improved, though.

People love LOTR because the code makes that game great, not the basic fan layout.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I think it's way, way too early for that. Most people realize it's going to take some more time for relatively complete code. There have been many recent machines (if not most?) with not-so-great code in the beginning, people don't care for their machines, and then after a certain period of time people love them.

Good point.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

This appears to be false. It is contradicted by the recent code in Woz. We heard the exact same argument with Woz, that the layout is just no fun to shoot. And many people claim TSPP is clunky and no fun. I couldn't disagree more. Great code makes games fun. Themes can't be improved, though.
People love LOTR because the code makes that game great, not the basic fan layout.

This is a very good and valid Point.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

GB does NOT if I recall.

Play enough GOT and you will find that your brain thinks EVERY game has a button after that. You can't help but smack the lockdown bar of every game when you drain.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Play enough GOT and you will find that your brain thinks EVERY game has a button after that. You can't help but smack the lockdown bar of every game when you drain.

I would except I'm only ever playing my GoT No time for other stuff! I'm sure I'll do it when GB roles into the house though

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well you pay for the width.

thats_what_she_said_(resized).jpgthats_what_she_said_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

thats_what_she_said_(resized).jpg

Hahaha

#39 8 years ago

The sound is second to none and the gameplay is garbage. Zero amount of code will fix a bad shooter.

Complete nonsense!

Hobbit shoots extremely well. Bad shooter my ass.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Complete nonsense!
Hobbit shoots extremely well. Bad shooter my ass.

Im using this!!!

#41 8 years ago

I think it is great that people's view of The Hobbit is improving the more they play. I am sure the reviews will keep getting better as the rules and code continue to be fully fleshed out.

It is so hard judging a pin just on a few initial plays on location. So much is dependent upon how the game is set up, how good you play, the atmosphere in the place, how your Wheaties tasted that morning, etc. I remember when I first played WOZ on location. I hated it. My games sucked, I drained very quickly, the tilt sensitivity was too high so that the slightest nudge would lead to an immediate tilt, and I was bedazzled by the overwhelming light show that at the time I could barely figure out. But, I kept trying to play whenever I would come across a machine. Fast forward to today and I really love the pin, having figured out a lot of the rules and the meaning of the light show. I love it so much that I just bought it.

There is a local place that has The Hobbit. I can't wait to play it.

Thanks for your review, PanzerFreak. Very thoughtful.

#42 8 years ago

Wow, Panzer that was a great review. I have never played TH hope to play one soon and in an environment that does it justice.

#43 8 years ago

Panzer, wait until you play the new 1.01 release! The game comes alive.

#44 8 years ago

Thanks guys for the thoughts on the review. Go figure the night I finally play it a code update is released, haha, guess I'll just have to go back and play it some more

I'm trying right now to get back in on a Hobbit spot. The Hobbit movies themselves have always been special to me as an Uncle of mine got me into The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books / films. Him and I went to see every LOTR film, watched the extended editions later at home and talked often about them. For The Hobbit him, his wife (my aunt), my wife, and I went to see each of The Hobbit films in theaters. Sadly, my Uncle unexpectedly passed away late last year and its devastated the family.

The films and books will always have a special place in my heart because of my Uncle. I call the films themselves "films" as my Uncle as a movie buff would tell me when a movie impressed him "That's not a movie, that's a film" Now I never did hear him refer to The Hobbit movies as "films" (as he did with LOTR) haha but he certainly enjoyed them and I can recall the smile on his face as the credits rolled at the end of "Battle of the Five Armies". Having this pin would be fun to have just because of the bond him and I shared over LOTR / The Hobbit.

Grainy picture but him and I outside of the theater right before we saw "Battle of the Five Armies" in January of last year.

12241428_995112147227655_4257659762794450645_n_(resized).jpg12241428_995112147227655_4257659762794450645_n_(resized).jpg

My Uncle was also a big fan of "Folio Society" books and read more then anyone I've never known. Folio books can be described as "Folio editions feature specially designed bindings and include artist-commissioned illustrations (most often in fiction titles) or researched artworks and photographs (in non-fiction titles). Many editions come with their own slipcase." (Wikipedia). I recently picked up both The Hobbit and LOTR books in their Folio editions, beautiful work.

20160408_074023_(resized).jpg20160408_074023_(resized).jpg

#45 8 years ago

Nice story Panzer. My uncle got me into pinball as he had one in the basement we would play when we visited. He willed it to me when he passed away. That was what got me started.

Thank you for sharing.

#46 8 years ago

Nice review. For me TH only came through with beauty and impressiveness. Layout just isn't fun for me. I'm sure the code will turn out great though and I'm happy for the people that do enjoy it. Just like every new game, some will love it, some are indifferent, some will hate it. I'm more in the indifferent category, it's just OK to me.

#47 8 years ago

Played The Hobbit at Marvin's yesterday. I had fun with it. I didn't like how none of the trap doors sat flat though. It did create a new ball randomizer however, if you want to look at it that way. Are the two JJP titles the greatest games ever? No. Are they better than average? Yes. Do they look and feel like two games worthy of their price tag? Relatively speaking (I'd never pay that much for a pin regardless), I'd have to say so. I also played MMR for the first time while I was there. Put it this way, I had to point and laugh at the MMR and the Stern LE's for thinking that they belong in JJP territory when it comes to pricing.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Nice story Panzer. My uncle got me into pinball as he had one in the basement we would play when we visited. He willed it to me when he passed away. That was what got me started.
Thank you for sharing.

That's awesome, nice story!

Quoted from usandthem:

Played The Hobbit at Marvin's yesterday. I had fun with it. I didn't like how none of the trap doors sat flat though. It did create a new ball randomizer however, if you want to look at it that way. Are the two JJP titles the greatest games ever? No. Are they better than average? Yes. Do they look and feel like two games worthy of their price tag? Relatively speaking (I'd never pay that much for a pin regardless), I'd have to say so. I also played MMR for the first time while I was there. Put it this way, I had to point and laugh at the MMR and the Stern LE's for thinking that they belong in JJP territory when it comes to pricing.

Glad you got a chance to play it. I wonder if Marvins has the game now running the new code? The latest code update seems to have added a good number of modes and expanded on others.

#49 8 years ago

Just unboxed a Smaug Gold SE and set it up in my pinball room. I played it at the Ohio show and my wife took a liking to it ( a big + for me!). At any rate, 10 days later and I just played my first 3 games on it. Out of the box, I had one small issue - start button wouldn't start a game; the switch had worked itself loose just a bit. Pushed it back in and it showed on the diagnostic board as working and that was it, frankly not bad!

Game is gorgeous for sure. Playfield clear looks good, ramps are deep chrome and it has a solid feel to it; reminds me of older wide body Williams game in feel. Certainly doesn't feel cheap. The pop-ups (4 total) remind me of trolls on Medieval Madness. Ball seems to rollover them with no diversion (again like MM). On slower rolling balls, the rollover buttons (again 4 I belive) will divert ball; on faster rolling balls it doesn't seem to.

This game was made on March 29th and is #281, but by serial number is 46th one made.

I'm at the .81 software and will do the update by this weekend. For now, just enjoying it for what it is.

More to follow,
Bob

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Bobby:

I'm at the .81 software and will do the update by this weekend.

Get ready for a big upgrade with 1.01

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-review-fun-beautiful-impressive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.