Hobbit Questions

By Russell

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

A few questions for the folks at JJP...or anyone who has heard answers at Expo.

How many Smaug SEs will be made?
How many LEs?
In what way is the art upgrade "replaceable?"
Will Smaug directly interact with the ball?
Any update on production dates?

And a comment-
I like the look of the Smaug artwork, but it is a shame that it is the same on both sides. Also, the art maybe too scary for my kids. We'll see. I might have to stick with the LE. It will be disappointing to have a lesser version since I've been in on TH for so long.

#2 9 years ago

I know what you mean about the side artwork on the Smaug edition. I was hoping for unique side artwork like on the other two editions. I think I'm still pretty set on switching my LE to the Smaug edition though, especially with getting in at $7,500.

As for the Smaug toy it doesn't appear to interact with the ball. According to JJP the license wouldn't allow Smaug to be hit with pinballs...Still, it turns around 180 degrees, appears to move side to side, features several lights and a moving mouth.

#3 9 years ago

Smaug toy is a glorified talking fish like on Sopranos.
No limit on Smaug but has to be ordered or swapped from LE before Dec. 31st.
Production begins still mid December.

I'm in and buying an LE but won't say Smaug was a giant let down for me. I was expecting a moving neck and head, eyes and mouth. Just a damn head.

Sound, drops and animation were freakin GREAT though.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

A few questions for the folks at JJP...or anyone who has heard answers at Expo.
How many Smaug SEs will be made?

As many that are ordered during the Smaug SE allowed purchase window.

How many LEs?

Same 1500 as originally planned.

In what way is the art upgrade "replaceable?"

Remove old, install new.

Will Smaug directly interact with the ball?

It will follow the ball around the playfield and speak to you as well as provide directions.

Any update on production dates?

Production begins december, shipping first or two in January.

And a comment-
I like the look of the Smaug artwork, but it is a shame that it is the same on both sides. Also, the art maybe too scary for my kids. We'll see. I might have to stick with the LE. It will be disappointing to have a lesser version since I've been in on TH for so long.

Nothing "lesser" about the LE. Only difference is artwork and color of the powder we did and a few attract mode screens. There are NO game play differences at all between any of the models.

#5 9 years ago

I doubt we'll ever know exactly how many Smaug machines are actually made. They aren't really a numbered "limited edition" type game although it sounds like you'll be able to arbitrarily assign a number plaque to your game based on your previous Hobbit LE number. So technically you could own game number 1500 of ?.....

My guess is that a vast majority of LE owners will slide into the Hobbit LE. Since it sounds like most of the 1500 Hobbits are sold out it wouldn't surprise me if 1000 of these opted for the Smaug edition. The end result is that we'll now have 1500 regular LE's along with approximately 1000 Smaug SE's. It looks like it will be a fun game but with 2500 LE/SE games and the high price point I don't exactly think this will be a rare/hard to find game in the future. I'm looking forward to playing one but will most likely hold out for a HUO game in a couple years once prices are more reasonable.

#6 9 years ago

From the pictures I have seen is this the finished product? Play field is what I am referring too. Code of course not. Just looks unfinished to me. Thoughts?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nothing "lesser" about the LE. Only difference is artwork and color of the powder we did and a few attract mode screens. There are NO game play differences at all between any of the models.

Alex, is it possible to get a 'normal' Smaug on the SE version instead of a gold one if preferred?

Are there photos available of the Gold Smaug en gold trim?

#8 9 years ago

How come all the shots seem so distant,far, and long? Wont this lead to some frustrating drains? Will video be included from the third movie?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

How come all the shots seem so distant,far, and long? Wont this lead to some frustrating drains?

People asked for an open playfield with lots of flow. And you have 4 pop ups in the open space.

Quoted from starbase:

Will video be included from the third movie?

Probably both video and music from the third movie will come with future game updates

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Alex, is it possible to get a 'normal' Smaug on the SE version instead of a gold one if preferred?
Are there photos available of the Gold Smaug en gold trim?

I don't know the answer to that. Jack would know

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I don't know the answer to that. Jack would know

I will send him a mail then

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.