(Topic ID: 86316)

Hobbit Purchase... Please Help. All Help Appreciated.

By Geremy13

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinballwizard79
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mckayladisappointed.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hobbit Purchase... Please Help. All Help Appreciated.

I am asking everbody's help on this one. I know that this may have been asked but filtering through all of the posts I am still needing advice.

I am looking to purchase the Hobbit. I am sold. I am a buyer. I want to add this to our very small collection. I love this 'pinside' forum and just can't express my appreciation enough for all of the information that I have learned and gathered.

So I need some advice. Do I pre-order from 'Pinball-Sales.Com'... should I order from 'Buddy' at Mountain?... should I research the heck out of other distributors?... which of course will just lead me back to this question of whom should I purchase from?... and there is NO other source that I trust more than simply the people on this forum.

Should I purchase from someone selling their 'Spot' on the list?... who to trust?.. who to confirm?...

I am just sold on the product. Thankful that another company is producing another American product that I am proud to own. Like the idea of 'payments' since the item won't arrive anytime soon.... also looking forward to the product arriving 'On-Time' if that's possible....... Also, like the idea of 'Free-Shipping' to those who got in early and would like to take that spot of somebody willing to let it go.... (of course don't want to benefit on someone else's hard time.)

Just need some advice.

#2 5 years ago

Simply wait till they're made and buy one in person rather than take the waiting risk?

#3 5 years ago

yeah, wait three years.

#4 5 years ago

Buddy is a great guy. Deal in complete confidence!

#5 5 years ago

If your in than Buddy is the person to buy it from.

#6 5 years ago

wait wait wait

#7 5 years ago

Oh you're "sold" alright (just kidd'n with ya a bit).

I didn't think these were for sale yet? You can't purchase shit from anyone but Stern at the moment. Buy a game now, sell it when Hobbit is real. Win win scenario for JJP & you.

Not sure what to say on the payments scenario. Are you incapable of holding your own money until the game actually exists? Man, I'm trying to make some serious ground before the fed ends QE this year, raises their own rate mid 2015 inching back up to 2006 levels via 25bps adjustments every 60 days while all other indexes follow including the manipulated LIBOR, prime & a gang of other nasty shit... & the stock market deflates at the same time lol the end is nigh the end is nigh bring out your dead

Hobbit so far looks dope though.

#8 5 years ago

I for one am not good at keeping my money right now for anything but pins.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I for one am not good at keeping my money right now for anything but pins.

You are a damn madman now days bro, like a Drake song or something "Started with one pinball now we here"

#10 5 years ago

The product is great - the business method risky - buy when produced not before. 200 woz are yet to be built paid for years ago. With that many le's do you really want to risk your money for free shipping?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Oh you're "sold" alright (just kidd'n with ya a bit).
I didn't think these were for sale yet? You can't purchase shit from anyone but Stern at the moment. Buy a game now, sell it when Hobbit is real. Win win scenario for JJP & you.
Not sure what to say on the payments scenario. Are you incapable of holding your own money until the game actually exists? Man, I'm trying to make some serious ground before the fed ends QE this year, raises their own rate mid 2015 inching back up to 2006 levels via 25bps adjustments every 60 days while all other indexes follow including the manipulated LIBOR, prime & a gang of other nasty shit... & the stock market deflates at the same time lol the end is nigh the end is nigh bring out your dead
Hobbit so far looks dope though.

Fantastically Well Said....

I've read many of your posts.... or at least looked at your 'Picture'... and had no idea that you were as sharp as you are. Seriously. No jokes, LOL, or anything else. You have summed up a lot of what's about to come in about the exact time frame that you have suggested. Very much respect to you and your forecast. I am adjusting accordingly with my own assets. My wife, being the intelligent woman that she is spotted it too, and has informed me that you are an investor... absolutely the direction that we are heading in. Kiyosaki is my mentor.

Back onto topic: I appreciate your last comment of 'Hobbit looks dope'. I have to agree. Of course it's just a toy, but a toy that I will certainly enjoy... EDIT: Hope to enjoy, since none of us know what the actual product is yet.

Anyways, any suggestions on purchasing this toy?

#12 5 years ago

Patience patience patience in pinball. I'm sure the hobbit will be great.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

The product is great - the business method risky - buy when produced not before. 200 woz are yet to be built paid for years ago. With that many le's do you really want to risk your money for free shipping?

Well said. Don't want to really risk any money that I can't afford to lose. BUT, isn't that what everybody is doing that pre-orders?...

I might as well as get FREE shipping and a better spot on the list if possible.

Appreciate your input. It is very much respected... and yes, something I should definitely consider before taking this risk. Thanks.

#14 5 years ago

If you're into it and like the payment method, then get on board and enjoy the ride. If you want one anyway and can save a little by getting in early, then go for it. If possible, go directly through JJP.
...If you're gonna bitch and moan and complain about the machine being a few months late, then hold off. Like Tiger said....patience....

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You are a damn madman now days bro, like a Drake song or something "Started with one pinball now we here"

Haha yeah, it has gotten slightly out of control. I was too old for the Pokemon craze but now I understand the gotta catch em all feeling mine are just bigger and more expensive.

#16 5 years ago

Ted, bro, "a few months" lol?

If traveling near the speed of light or close to a massive source of gravity then yes WOZ is only a few months late. This is called Jack's theory of relativity if I'm not mistaken.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

massive source of gravity then yes WOZ is only a few months late.

Not talkin' about WOZ here. Hobbit chat.

#19 5 years ago

The best thing is to wait. But i want to get in yesterday if i would had the cash.

If time aint your enemy, get in. Thats the only question to me. Its not if your hobbit pin ships, but when.

#20 5 years ago

I agree with the other posters, why preorder? Just buy some games now, play for the next 1 to 3 years, and when the hobbit is available get one. Who wants to wait for a year for something that's unknown when you can buy quality games now?

#21 5 years ago

OP, if I was going to pre-order, it would be from Jack at pinballsales. Just because he sits in the same office as Jack from JJP. I know he has to be a middle man for his own product from a legal perspective, but it just seems like the shortest distance if there is something wrong. If it is the game you want (and you already sound sold), jump in line for an LE, and be prepared to take a bit of guff from the rabble rousers here, just because it is JJP.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

I've read many of your posts.... or at least looked at your 'Picture'... and had no idea that you were as sharp as you are.

#23 5 years ago

I don't see a point in pre-ordering it, just wait until they are available to ship.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Fantastically Well Said....
I've read many of your posts.... or at least looked at your 'Picture'... and had no idea that you were as sharp as you are

I'm not sharp, I just ate 3 hits of acid last weekend & got stuck in a time loop on a few financial websites

I too want a Hobbit, not gonna deny it. What a kick ass theme & wow the DMD err LCD art is just magnificent. But I haven't forgiven Jack enough to endorse preordering even a T shirt from the dude.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I don't see a point in pre-ordering it, just wait until they are available to ship.

+1.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

OP, if I was going to pre-order, it would be from Jack at pinballsales. Just because he sits in the same office as Jack from JJP. I know he has to be a middle man for his own product from a legal perspective, but it just seems like the shortest distance if there is something wrong. If it is the game you want (and you already sound sold), jump in line for an LE, and be prepared to take a bit of guff from the rabble rousers here, just because it is JJP.

I normally agree with DaveH, but this is one instance where I do not.

According to reports those who ordered direct were, in some instances, jumped by those who bought from a distributor on WOZ under the theory that the distributor reserved the games in mass early on and were making prepayments on the same schedule as the other collectors. If this is in fact the case find a distributor who did this with Hobbit too.

I'm interested in the Hobbit. Love the theme and would enjoy itas my first LCD display game. I'm personally waiting though.

#27 5 years ago

I too recommend to wait and buy it until you can basically hand someone the money and they hand you the game. I pre-ordered THLE around December 2012 and quickly changed my mind and got my money back. Then I immediately put that money toward other pins which I have fully enjoyed over the last 16 months. I'm still very interested in TH, but I see no worthwhile reason to participate in the JJP prepay model. I will wait, and then play it, and then decide. There will be plenty to go around.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from tjmac55:

Buddy is a great guy. Deal in complete confidence!

What is the company that you are referring to as "Buddy"? Would like to see what else they offer, thanks.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

What is the company that you are referring to as "Buddy"? Would like to see what else they offer, thanks.

He posts here as Doughslingers. PM him.

LTG : )™

#30 5 years ago

Id wait till you have "played" the game and judge for yourself if this is the title for you. Understood theme is a hit in your mind, but dont let hype make the decision for you.

#31 5 years ago

Have you played WOZ?

I would wait until more than just a side on view of the White Wood can be seen

Even if you get onboard today, there are many orders in front of you, it will be 6 months or more from when production starts that you will get your game

#32 5 years ago

Doughslingers (Buddy) is the the way to go. I have purchased with him before and I can tell you without a doubt he has been one of the most helpful people in this hobby to me. I have my preorder with him so I'm putting my mouth where my money is.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Well said. Don't want to really risk any money that I can't afford to lose. BUT, isn't that what everybody is doing that pre-orders?...
I might as well as get FREE shipping and a better spot on the list if possible.
Appreciate your input. It is very much respected... and yes, something I should definitely consider before taking this risk. Thanks.

You have answered your own question. Pre-orders are not for you.

There will be 1000's of these games if all goes well, so not going to be difficult to get.

And if things don't go well, you will be glad you didn't pre-order!

#34 5 years ago

Abel Electronics all the way, if and when you decide to preorder or purchase a game ready/almost ready to ship.

http://www.abelelectronics.com/cart.html

#35 5 years ago

I posted a thread that got deleted. If you bought Netflix stock when people pre-ordered WOZ, that $7,500 would have been worth $65,000. Just to prove a point that tying money up with no upside seems silly. Hobbit is an exciting thing to want. But why commit before there's more indication of when you will get it? The second you plunk down cash, the wait begins. And no matter how you spin it, the wait may be long and frustrating.

In life, it's important to learn lessons. Have we learned nothing from all this pre-order madness? No matter the pin, all I see from Pre-Order conversations are months and years of speculation, anxiety, fear, anticipation, enthusiasm, surprise, disappointment. Notice it's a mixed bag. But when people wait and just buy one that's immediately available, they are much more satisfied.

If we live in the here and now and get what's ready when it's ready, life is better. If we stop trying to predict the next TRON LE, stop jumping at every LE we see, stop going nuts for PREDATOR's just because it's limited and look at these pins objectively. There are more than enough amazing pins to keep people happy. If you want a Hobbit, you will have a Hobbit. You will NEVER get locked out of owning one.

I've also learned that this community takes damn good care of their pins. If not NIB, you'll find a HUO one.

I woke up one day and said, "I want a HOBBIT" too. But looking at the wait, I thought...why not get LOTR enjoy it and by the time the Hobbit is ready, I will have enough to put her next to a LOTR. Perfect pair. Also, like others have said, wait to see something on the game first. Committing based on WOZ isn't a bad thing, we know JJP will make a sweet pin. It's just the wait you have to be prepared for. But HOBBIT will ship much much faster. They will have learned from the troubles of WOZ.

To conclude...don't be anxious. Just wait and get it when it's available. The time of every $8,500 new pin selling out is silly. So many people will buy because of anxiety and then realize they can't really afford to have so much money tied up in pins. It happens all the time.

#36 5 years ago

pm sent
Pincades
Chicagoland JJP DIST
JT

#37 5 years ago

I've already paid £4.5K on HOBBIT, that's $7400. Got another £1.5 to go when the pin is ready, I liked the thought of a payment plan, but to have $7400 doing nothing, not earning any interest/invested for a year is bad.

I'm fully paid up on Predator, although the $250 deposit was all that is needed until build time, I have faith in Skit B and thought they could do more with my cash injection. Jack has money from his previous business, which I gather is pretty big and doing OK. I know SkitB is not in the same scale as JJP, Yet!, but the difference in time frame from when SkitB Ask for full payment to production and delivery compared to JJP is baffling.

#38 5 years ago

Strange post, looks very strange.

#39 5 years ago

Buddy will treat you well. Also, Pincades is definitely worth checking out since you are in Indiana. There is a lot to be said for having a relationship with a local distributor.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

.... also looking forward to the product arriving 'On-Time' if that's possible.....

mckayladisappointed.jpg

#41 5 years ago

I know there is cause to be skeptical about how quickly JJP will produce the Hobbit, but wouldn't it be great if they could put all of that behind them and step up their manufacturing performance with their second pin? That would go a long way toward calming the waters. Well, I can at least hope for the best and wish them well. The proof is in the pudding.

#42 5 years ago

Do not pre-buy. Wait till they are in production call distributer and get it before those that paid for it in advance do.
Just going by the Woz model.

Also if you want an LE don't get the first there will be a second shortly after and you will get it before the first run LE pre paids get theirs.

#43 5 years ago

If you are positive that you want a Hobbit and nothing else will do, then the guys have given you lots of distributor information.
You said you have a small collection already, but I recommend that you find something else to put your money into and can play in the meantime, then when Hobbit is released sell that machine and put the money towards Hobbit. Think of it as a playable Hobbit savings account. When I was first getting into the pinball hobby in June 2012, I just almost ordered one of the last WOZLEs available. I was told that it would ship no later than November 2012. If I had preordered that machine, I would still not have a pinball machine in my house for at least a few months and would have had $7K tied up in it so that I couldn't afford anything else while waiting. Instead my parents, husband, and I have amassed a collection of 10 machines in that time. I've learned how to work on machines, how to do LED conversions, how to solder, etc. I do have a Predator on preorder, but I'm ok waiting on it because I have 7 other machines in my house and 3 at my parents' house that I can play in the meantime. If I had bought that WOZ and still didn't have it over 2 years later, I'd probably be insane and/or not in the pinball hobby anymore because of sheer frustration. If you preorder and pay, you've got to be willing to wait it out or able to bail out when you can't take it anymore and be out the time and energy you'd put into it. Hopefully JJP will be caught up and producing them on schedule, but past records for multiple pinball manufacturers show that things do not always go as planned.

#44 5 years ago

I only had to put 1000 down at my local distributer and have an LE reserved. If in the mean time a Stern comes out that's a must have or I change my mind the money is refundable but I figure why not be safe. If you do it from JJP then I know it's installments and maybe there's some risk but I believe it's still refundable. Why wait? If you are sure that this is a must have game then pay for it and be patient, I love StarTrek, movies, TV etc. and pre-ordered an LE as soon as I could paid in full, I knew I must have it and if you feel that strongly regarding the Hobbit then I say buy it and be happy. Good Luck

#45 5 years ago

Definitely wait! I'd purchase from Buddy all day long, but in this case, I'd do it when the game was in-stock and ready to ship.

You pretty much have to...

#46 5 years ago

I'm thinkin'........ Yes,, I still want this!

And yes, I respect everybody's information and advice on this decision.

Getting late............ Can't wait to read pinside comments and posts tomorrow night when the wife has to go to a meeting for her business.

tired.....

#47 5 years ago

Since your original post to the thread was requesting input on "suppliers" I wanted to drop in and tell you about a recent transaction that took place with Joe@PinballSTAR . Also as a recent newbie to this forum, I look to the experience of the "whole" to help me wade through the Internutz hype and mis-information.

I also like you have a modest Pin collection, but have been bitten by the bug, and have decided to invest in some of the new releases to add to my personal arcade. Since all of these will be for HUO, I really wanted to find a solid mentor/guide for my investments. I was interested in the WOZEC and made a wanted post here on Pinside. I was met with great people sending me instant messages about the game, what to watch out for, some of the drama over the past couple of years, as well as a few people who "had a friend that was going to sell". I decided that since I am not in a rush for the game, I would be willing to wait for the LE or even the 75th version. One of the people who reached out to me was Joe from PinballSTAR.......and I think that his first message to me ended with, "hey if you have any questions, please feel free to call me" AND gave me his phone number.

I spent the next week or so gathering my own information around this site and others, and then decided to give Joe a call to see if he could add anything of value, and I was the typical skeptic. I expected to get the Used Car Salesman approach. I could not have been more incorrect, and in fact we talked about so much cool stuff, we BOTH almost forgot about the real reason for the call....PINBALL ! ! ! !

To wrap this up, I have to say that Joe is really wonderful guy; honest and funny. I have since ordered a WOZEC75th from him, and am now thinking of ordering both the Hobbit and the MMR......regardless of what I decide, PinballSTAR will be my "go to" supplier of pinball machines from here on out. Joe and I have joked, that he is going to put me on a monthly Invoice cycle, and just ship out new pins as they become available. Pay it Forward, that's what it means right????

Whether or not you decide to purchase the Hobbit, or wait; or you decide to wait and see what the future holds.....do yourself a solid by contacting PinballSTAR. Guarantee that you will be dealing with someone who is honest, and genuinely enthusiastic about pinball. I highly recommend contacting Joe, I am so thankful that I did.

Chris
C2

#48 5 years ago

Seems like pinball distributors on the whole have an excellent reputation here on Pinside. Every one I've had anything to do with has been helpful, patient and, as far as I can tell, honest. That's a great asset for the hobby.

#49 5 years ago

I bought a WOZ from Buddy and have a Hobbit on order. If you want to pre-order, then you cannot do better. He also has a fantastic team that will help deliver and set up the pin. I will stay out of the call on whether it is better to order now or wait ... to each his own.

Choosing Buddy as your distributor for JJP is a slam dunk in my opinion.

#50 5 years ago

they are supposed to start shipping towards the end of the year, but dont expect to get yours until 2015, if you're ok with the wait, I would order it direct from pinballsales. I got my WOZ from a dist and I still had to go straight to JJP for help anyways. unless the dist already has a closer spot in line they are selling you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington, WV
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Greenfield, WI
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntsville, AL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 8,500.00
$ 27.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside