40%
  • I am NOT pre-ordering but may buy one when they are relased. 32 votes
    20%
  • Will have to wait and see how WOZ does and if Hobbit is on time. 22 votes
    14%
  • Too much money for my budget. 42 votes
    26%

(161 votes)

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Wondering who is going the pre-order of Hobbit for release in July 2014.
Since WOZ took so long and still is not done, wonder if this has an effect on Hobbit Sales.

#2 7 years ago

I did,It will be a nice addition to LOTR LE

#3 7 years ago

For various reasons I will not be buying 'The Hobbit'

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I did,It will be a nice addition to LOTR LE

same here

#5 7 years ago

Surprised to see money is not the biggest factor.

#6 7 years ago

im in and have already taken orders for 7 more. if you are hesitating at all i would at least get your deposit in. it is refundable. hopefully there will be more details out before the next payment is due (02/15/2013). if you are not satisfied by then, you may get your $500 deposit back.

i have a feeling that most (if not all) of the Hobbit Limited Editions will be spoken for by then.

#7 7 years ago

I do not want to send in a refundable deposit
I want to play WoZ before I make my mind

#8 7 years ago

me too, but unfortunately I'm not sure if i did right. There are still some postpurchase dissonances

#9 7 years ago

How about buying one once they are in stock sitting in the warehouse and ready to ship.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Surprised to see money is not the biggest factor.

It was a huge factor for me. I'm not pre-ordering a Hobbit, but I may have if it was $6,500 like WoZ.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

How about buying one once they are in stock sitting in the warehouse and ready to ship.

Hobbit LE will be sold out but can be bought for more like ACDCBIBLE or HulkLE
Its only a discount if you buy early and again people bash because he gives an early adopter price.

#12 7 years ago

I'd buy one if not for the payment plan and not so low pre-pre-pre order price. I have no issue with a deposit, but to be forced to pay 60% of the cost a year before it ships at a not so discounted price doesn't give me much incentive.

#13 7 years ago

I personally do not like the system they have where you pay so much before its completed. I think they should have a $500 non refundable deposit and thats it. When the game is ready you can buy it or forgo the deposit. Also the deposit should not be trasferable since many vedors may scarf up all the slots.

After thinking about this not sure my idea is even doable.

#14 7 years ago

I'll wait for it to be released before I commit any $$$. Lots can happen between now and 2014+.

#15 7 years ago

I will play my WOZECLE first, then decide.

Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190.

#16 7 years ago

I am in #1173 and will try to move my number up when people pass on there deposit. Love the theme and want to support jersey jack so I have other options besides stern. Hope we can see a preview soon of play field or art but my guess it will be a year before we see much.

#17 7 years ago

I am not buying mainly do to price and payment structure.

I had to make a chioce between Hobbit and Predator and Predator won because:

-only $250 deposit and I have already seen more than what we have for Hobbit
-pay 1/2 when my actual game starts production rather than pay most before I even see anything substantial for Hobbit
-pay remainder when game is done
-less that 5k vs. 7500

Honestly the choice was easy for me.

All said, if I had more money then I would just buy them both

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

I am in #1173 and will try to move my number up when people pass on there deposit.

Why?

#19 7 years ago

Will they be built by number or when ordered? Number on game should not affect that.

#20 7 years ago

We are in for #60

#21 7 years ago

Where is the info as to what the game will contain? What toys will it have? How many ramps? Any pictures? Normally we get to see this stuff with preorder

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Will they be built by number or when ordered?

They will be built in the order that they were purchased. The number is meaningless in terms of when your game will ship. That's why I was curious why starbase wanted to get a lower number.

#23 7 years ago

Here is a question. Does anybody have any insight on how the distributor process works for JPP? I know Stern sets an MSRP and then lets the distributor cut whatever deals they want. That doesn't seem to be the case with JJP pins right now. Its $7500 everywhere right?

#24 7 years ago

I've got #848 reserved, but I'm taking the same approach that I did with WOZ, send in the payments as long as I like what I see. For me, the payment plan is great, I realize it requires a bit of a leap of faith which isn't for everyone, but Jack gives me the confidence to take that leap.

#25 7 years ago

The Hobbit is a tough decision for me. Like many others, I expected to get my long awaited WOZ first and find an order form for The Hobbit inside the box (with my details and LE game # already filled in). After all this waiting it now suddenly feels like being rushed into a decision that I wasn't expecting to have to make just yet.

I know Jack's says: "no one is forcing you to order" and that is essentially true, but we all know these 1,500 LE games will probably be snatched up before most of us will have pulled our WOZ from their boxes. It has come to my understanding that my WOZ number "spot" will be made available to the public if I don't make the 15 december deposit deadline.

So that kind of creates a dilemma. I mean, I have little doubt WOZ will be a fantastic game, built to the highest standards, fantastic quality, everything. But I do have growing doubts as to wether I will *like* the game and more specifically the game flow, rules, music etc. Of course I expect to like it, but let's face it: it's not a certainty and all the waiting doesn't make this better.

I'm not happy with having to decide now instead of after receiving my WOZ. Yet for now I Think I'm gonna follow my instincts and pre-order. I'm a huge LOTR/Tolkien fan. So I'll go with the first deposit and then see what will happen (whitewood/artwork etc). After all, it's fully refundable. Still, it doesn't feel 100% right. Heck, maybe I should cancel WOZ and go for The Hobbit, that would only require another $1000 and another year of waiting

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

But I do have growing doubts as to wether I will *like* the game and more specifically the game flow, rules, music etc. Of course I expect to like it, but let's face it: it's not a certainty and all the waiting doesn't make this better.

Well even if WOZ is a dog it doesn't mean TH will be, or vice versa. The only reason I could see wanting to wait until your WOZ arrives to make the decision, is if you were waiting to see the quality of the build which we have all heard is far superior to anything out there.

#27 7 years ago

I think it is lame that they have a date to take deposits so soon for game number 2 when no regular buyer has received their WOZ. If he does not need the money to finish out WOZ then this move is of very poor taste IMO. So much so that I won't even consider purchasing JJPs 2nd pin.

I think it is crappy that makers are having pinheads put money down on a pin that they have never seen or that is not even close to starting production on. Only way to stop this from happening is refuse to put money in on them and that is what I intend to do. Hope all makers are successful but above all else I care most about the pinball community and the people that love to play.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I think it is lame that they have a date to take deposits so soon for game number 2 when no regular buyer has received their WOZ. If he does not need the money to finish out WOZ then this move is of very poor taste IMO. So much so that I won't even consider purchasing JJPs 2nd pin.
I think it is crappy that makers are having pinheads put money down on a pin that they have never seen or that is not even close to starting production on. Only way to stop this from happening is refuse to put money in on them and that is what I intend to do. Hope all makers are successful but above all else I am care most about the pinball community and the people that love to play.

I agree. JJP should take money from WOZ or get bank financing to make Hobbit then sell them. No pre-orders, etc. There blueprint to market time is way too long. At least Stern already gets deep into design before the theme is leaked to the world.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

So that kind of creates a dilemma. I mean, I have little doubt WOZ will be a fantastic game, built to the highest standards, fantastic quality, everything. But I do have growing doubts as to wether I will *like* the game and more specifically the game flow, rules, music etc.

This is very true. Many games in the past have looked killer only to play sub par. I do not want to comment on WOZ without playing but if I were to I would have to comment on the Spinning House Playfield. Just looks so small to shoot with one flipper around a circle. Is there skill there or is it gimmick.

Great pinball games seem to happen. After Rolling Stones (Stern) who would have thought AC/DC would be what it is. Let's hope WOZ lives up to its awesome quality and build.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I know Jack's says: "no one is forcing you to order" and that is essentially true, but we all know these 1,500 LE games will probably be snatched up before most of us will have pulled our WOZ from their boxes.

I doubt that actually. Many WOZ peeps feel the same way you do.

#31 7 years ago

I am disappointed that #2 isn't an original theme.
I have been saving and waiting for the announcement of the theme and instead of original we get Hobbit.
Happy for those that love the theme, I have no interest in this title.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I have been saving and waiting for the announcement of the theme and instead of original we get Hobbit.

I feel the same. Like Stern JJP is playing it REAL safe. They know they can sell a ton of them to New Zealand and overseas.

I really liked in the early 90's when Williams and Bally took chances on original themes.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Like Stern JJP is playing it REAL safe.

JJP may have had a different reason.

The license holder dictated when he announce the game. They may also have a time frame when it is to be out.

LTG : )

#34 7 years ago

Yeah but dude the license holder doesn't tell him to ask for money...

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Yeah but dude the license holder doesn't tell him to ask for money...

A press release could have easily been issued to tie into the movie release. Order forms could have still gone to WOZ buyers first with their machines. The whole thing just wasn't played well.

How great would it have been to have TH announced last week, order forms go to WOZ buyers... first the pre-orders, then anyone else who gets a WOZ in general release, then NEXT YEAR the public who did not buy WOZ get a chance to get in on TH for the first time. That might have created some great loyalty with buyers.

#36 7 years ago

I put my money down on one!! I hope to be alive when its released

Jon

#37 7 years ago

I would have bought if was offered the same plan as with WOZ . . . $6,500.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

The Hobbit is a tough decision for me. Like many others, I expected to get my long awaited WOZ first and find an order form for The Hobbit inside the box (with my details and LE game # already filled in). After all this waiting it now suddenly feels like being rushed into a decision that I wasn't expecting to have to make just yet.

I know Jack's says: "no one is forcing you to order" and that is essentially true, but we all know these 1,500 LE games will probably be snatched up before most of us will have pulled our WOZ from their boxes. It has come to my understanding that my WOZ number "spot" will be made available to the public if I don't make the 15 december deposit deadline.

So that kind of creates a dilemma. I mean, I have little doubt WOZ will be a fantastic game, built to the highest standards, fantastic quality, everything. But I do have growing doubts as to wether I will *like* the game and more specifically the game flow, rules, music etc. Of course I expect to like it, but let's face it: it's not a certainty and all the waiting doesn't make this better.

I'm not happy with having to decide now instead of after receiving my WOZ. Yet for now I Think I'm gonna follow my instincts and pre-order. I'm a huge LOTR/Tolkien fan. So I'll go with the first deposit and then see what will happen (whitewood/artwork etc). After all, it's fully refundable. Still, it doesn't feel 100% right. Heck, maybe I should cancel WOZ and go for The Hobbit, that would only require another $1000 and another year of waiting

I feel exactly the same way. I also told them yes so far. I was hoping to get WOZ first then decide and be able to keep the same number as WOZ. Now, I have to send money now to keep that number and then see what happens. I feel like I have to send money in case I want one with the same number or in case they sell out quick.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

JJP may have had a different reason.
The license holder dictated when he announce the game. They may also have a time frame when it is to be out.
LTG : )

I agree I wanted to see what Jack could do with an unlicensed theme however, there is NO WAY he would pass on this theme if he had the chance. Jack is in business, business compete against other companies for the dollars in the industry. This is all good but look at what the theme is....Hobbit, ties into LOTR. A license that has a big following with lots of movies coming out. If the movies are a hit there will be a buying frenzy for ANYTHING Hobbit. It should be a perfect theme to sell a few pins.

There is also the fact that Jack was very involved with LOTR LE with Gary. If you do not think Jack wants to knock this out of the park because of the history and the fact he got the theme instead of Gary, you are crazy. Hobbit will be needed to sit next to LOTR in many collections. I would love to get them both and sit them side by side. The biggest thing stopping me is the cost, both of those together would cost 11,000+ right now and I am building a new game room this coming summer. Planning on room for 40+ machines with room for bar.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

I really liked in the early 90's when Williams and Bally took chances on original themes.

+1 Creativity at it's peak.

#41 7 years ago

Hobbit will be needed to sit next to LOTR in many collections.

Mine, for instance!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

Very good advice. Does this apply to the Avengers you are selling?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-need-an-avengers-hulk-le-i-have-a-few-coming

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

+1 My thoughts exactly.

#44 7 years ago

I am definitely more interested in their second pin that’s for sure (because of title yes but more importantly to see all the things they learned from the first game); however, I cannot even think about buying until game is finished to play to determine if I truly like it and if WOZ succeeds with the company. I think there second pin should go more smoothly and that they came across a lot of obstacles on their first one which they did not expect. I still think WOZ appears to look amazing with all the details and advanced technology but still appears to be too slow and I hope The Hobbit is faster and with more ramps which are my favorite part of pinball. I had a feeling they would get this title. Even TZ plays fast. I am also curious what new things Stern will do if any to their games once WOZ comes out. If all of JJP games are wide body and Sterns are normal width maybe nothing will change since there so different. In any event it is still good for any pinball fan to have more companies. Yes, I want Stern to do an orginal theme or JJP pinball as well but lets face it there is just more money in it for them by not doing one.

#45 7 years ago

I wonder if JJP will get an advanced look at the final 2 movies since the pin will encompass all 3.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They may also have a time frame when it is to be out.

I've been thinking this too but you beat me to it. I have a gut feeling that part of the deal means they have a deadline to ship at least some games for demos.

If this hold true I hope it doesn't mean a rush job of course.

#47 7 years ago

I am in. Too good a theme to pass up.

#48 7 years ago

I agree I wanted to see what Jack could do with an unlicensed theme however, there is NO WAY he would pass on this theme if he had the chance. Jack is in business, business compete against other companies for the dollars in the industry. This is all good but look at what the theme is....Hobbit, ties into LOTR. A license that has a big following with lots of movies coming out. If the movies are a hit there will be a buying frenzy for ANYTHING Hobbit. It should be a perfect theme to sell a few pins.
There is also the fact that Jack was very involved with LOTR LE with Gary. If you do not think Jack wants to knock this out of the park because of the history and the fact he got the theme instead of Gary, you are crazy. Hobbit will be needed to sit next to LOTR in many collections. I would love to get them both and sit them side by side. The biggest thing stopping me is the cost, both of those together would cost 11,000+ right now and I am building a new game room this coming summer. Planning on room for 40+ machines with room for bar.

Side by side was my thought too...but then after actually seeing WOZ I started figuring that Hobbitt might look so much better than LOTR that LOTR would look like crap next to it. Now I'm leaning towards putting Hobbitt next to WOZ and selling LOTR when it comes in to help fund it and make the space.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballAddiction:

I wonder if JJP will get an advanced look at the final 2 movies since the pin will encompass all 3.

Absolutely...and JJP will be sworn to silence.

#50 7 years ago

I am in for the Hobbit. Was not interested in WOZ but The Hobbit hopefully will be outstanding.
Bruce

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 27.50
$ 21.00
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside