You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown.jpeg
Hobbit playfield slings.jpg
Plastics.jpg
1405483595292.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Really ? In one of the videos, the axe appeared to have several movements - motorized ?
LTG : )™
Disclaimer : I have no idea, but the axe above in the picture looks like something else.

That's a good point LTG, they may not be on the sling armature but still, they have mass and they'll be on the end of some mech's armature being slammed around.

I just don't want it to end up like the mess that the SS design was.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Really ? In one of the videos, the axe appeared to have several movements - motorized ?
LTG : )™
Disclaimer : I have no idea, but the axe above in the picture looks like something else.

I just re-watched the early whitewood videos. The axes look to me to be attached directly to the slingshot armature. Have you seen some secret, later whitewood videos that haven't been released to John Q. Public (me), yet?

--Luke

#53 9 years ago

Metal or molded axes would look sweet. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Metal or molded axes would look sweet

agree hoping these are molded in metal and not just some moving plastic.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

agree hoping these are molded in metal and not just some moving plastic.

Man, you guys just don't get it.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Man, you guys just don't get it.

So its impossible to have a different design then the scared stiff boogie men? Could they not just add a flat metal bracket on the underside of the playfield that dissipates the force needed to move the axes? Instead of the wood stripping out?

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

So its impossible to have a different design then the Scared Stiff boogie men? Could they not just add a flat metal bracket on the underside of the playfield that dissipates the force needed to move the axes? Instead of the wood stripping out?

The more weight you're moving on a long arm, the more energy has to be dissipated *somewhere* The more weight, the more cost involved in the mech to move it *and survive* the process over the long run.

Most people would prefer the machine cost $100 less and the objects being "bobbled" were just plastic.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

The more weight you're moving on a long arm, the more energy has to be dissipated *somewhere* The more weight, the more cost involved in the mech to move it *and survive* the process over the long run.
Most people would prefer the machine cost $100 less and the objects being "bobbled" were just plastic.

I would prefer the important movable parts not be skimped, there's other places to save a buck. The more realistic the better, case in point: The cannon on acdc looks cheap which is why people modded it. If JJP can make it look realistic with plastic then that will be fine but if its a little cheap piece of plastic with pictures and a rivet its gonna look cheesy and like an afterthought. Its not like JJP has to follow the same mold as scared stiff, im sure there's ways to improve without breaking the bank.

#59 9 years ago

Nah...you're cutting into Mezel's and Pinball Refinery's and Modfather's (etc.) profits. Gotta leave something on the table so other people can make hundreds of dollars off of upgraded pieces of plastic.

And I know! I'm the sucker that buys all of them!

#60 9 years ago

It would be better to get rid of the axes then to have them break.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I would prefer the important movable parts not be skimped, there's other places to save a buck. The more realistic the better, case in point: The cannon on acdc looks cheap which is why people modded it. If JJP can make it look realistic with plastic then that will be fine but if its a little cheap piece of plastic with pictures and a rivet its gonna look cheesy and like an afterthought. Its not like JJP has to follow the same mold as Scared Stiff, im sure there's ways to improve without breaking the bank.

I think Gary Martins point is, the more weight you add to the arm of the slingshot, then there is greater potential for wear in the mechanism, due to the moment/arm. It would require a stronger force to move it, and when the sling arm/axe returns there is more weight to it, which may cause more wear on stops. I have to agree with him there.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I think Gary Martins point is, the more weight you add to the arm of the slingshot, then there is greater potential for wear in the mechanism, due to the moment/arm. It would require a stronger force to move it, and when the sling arm/axe returns there is more weight to it, which may cause more wear on stops. I have to agree with him there.

I understood what he was saying, but that doesn't mean the mechs couldnt be designed and reinforced to support it. This is an 8k pinball machine, as I was saying don't go cheap and we shouldnt give these companies a reason to be cheap. If they can make it look good and realistic with plastic then im all for it but putting an arm and a generic picture of an axe on it is cheap. Im buying this machine and its jmo.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It would be better to get rid of the axes then to have them break.

No one has played the game and axes are breaking?

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Have you seen some secret, later whitewood videos that haven't been released to John Q. Public (me), yet?

No, most people have seen more than me.

LTG : )

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

That's exactly what I was talking about.

I have one of these on order, paid in full. I'd much rather they put a couple hundred bucks of development into some cool new kind of target *hint hint* than the equivalent of a bobble head axe that flops around when the slings kick.

Yes, I think the axes are cool. No, I'd rather see more R&D and production cost go into making Smaug really awesome than into a fancy diecast axe.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

That's exactly what I was talking about.
I have one of these on order, paid in full. I'd much rather they put a couple hundred bucks of development into some cool new kind of target *hint hint* than the equivalent of a bobble head axe that flops around when the slings kick.
Yes, I think the axes are cool. No, I'd rather see more R&D and production cost go into making Smaug really awesome than into a fancy diecast axe.

It's a premium game, everything should be premium. Axes, Smaug, targets, ramps, mechs, topper, art, music, sound effects, speech, software etc. If it's on the game at all, it better be awesome, otherwise why bother.

#67 9 years ago

In the video below you can see clearly the axes are made of metal. It even looks like the (left) axe has some kind of dual mechanism, which could reduce the forces on the assembly.

It's more obvious JJP will stick some of those axe-decals on the metal instead of using the easy-to-break plastics as extensions.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

In the video below you can see clearly the axes are made of metal. It even looks like the (left) axe has some kind of dual mechanism, which could reduce the forces on the assembly.
It's more obvious JJP will stick some of those axe-decals on the metal instead of using the easy-to-break plastics as extensions.
» YouTube video

I hope the game has seen many hours play with the plastics on the game so there is no problem with broken plastics.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I hope the game has seen many hours play with the plastics on the game so there is no problem with broken plastics.

Broken plastics happen REGARDLESS of game/testing/etc.. Steel ball vs Plastic.. Steel wins. There are certain plastics that have a less likelyhood of breaking due to location but testing doesn't eliminate broken plastics so i'm not sure what you on about.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Broken plastics happen REGARDLESS of game/testing/etc.. Steel ball vs Plastic.. Steel wins. There are certain plastics that have a less likelyhood of breaking due to location but testing doesn't eliminate broken plastics so i'm not sure what you on about.

The game play above is without plastics I am not thinking of potential problems from the balls hitting the plastics it is the axes hitting the plastics. As plastics go the slingshot plastics at the start of this thread could not be put on the game in the video with the axes on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-playfield-plastics-and-decals/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.