axe_check_by_pervalicious-d56o9xp.png
hulk2.gif
MC1987.jpg
thumbs_up_britgif.gif
Hobbit_PF_fixed_by_Kingpin.jpg
images.jpg
baywatch.jpg
image.jpg

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 10 years ago

I find double inlanes interesting...as long as there is no lane change on them. Kind of like Flight 2000 where you have to spell BOFF.

--Luke

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not only is that a cool idea, but imagine what "extras" could be added to the playfield if you were playing it via cam on the LCD...you could do P2K type stuff. Animated characters running around on the playfield, Gollum running around, the dragon flying around...you could really do anything. It would still be a physical playfield with cool next-gen animated tricks.

I made this suggestion back in December on the JJP forum. Basically a hidden playfield (under the mountain) that would display via a small camera on the background LCD.

Here was my suggestion:
I would like to see a hidden playfield either under a mini-playfield
or under the playfield with a separate set of flippers. Once inside
the playfield a small camera will show it on the LCD and you will have
to complete it while watching the backbox. Otherwise it would be out
of sight and lit with a black light or something cool like that.
Never been done and would make use of that LCD.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

I find double inlanes interesting...as long as there is no lane change on them. Kind of like Flight 2000 where you have to spell BOFF.
--Luke

Instead of no lane change, a rules based lane change could be very cool. Remember, Keith is the one who gave us "nasty" locks on LOTR...

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Instead of no lane change, a rules based lane change could be very cool. Remember, Keith is the one who gave us "nasty" locks on LOTR...

Good point. How about this...what if the each lane had RGB LEDs and could be different colors. That way, if you get them all red they do one thing. If you get them all blue, they do something else. Could be strategic.

--Luke

EDIT: Does WOZ already do this? I'm not sure.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

I just think if it's going to be a widebody, make use of it like the homage to classic SS games (Fathom and Embryon) that I drew up. It seems that Joe just went the opposite direction and wants the bottom third to play more like a slim body--Stern already makes enough of those for everyone.

I had the exact same thought today in a thread about Paragon's asymmetrical slings.... why not take full advantage of the widebody format and do something unique?

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Good point. How about this...what if the each lane had RGB LEDs and could be different colors. That way, if you get them all red they do one thing. If you get them all blue, they do something else. Could be strategic.
--Luke
EDIT: Does WOZ already do this? I'm not sure.

Dude. That would be awesome. Wonder if Lyman is going to do something like that in Metallica or if he's just gonna use color changers to be song based like ACDC

#157 10 years ago

If this piecemeal works for most, congrats, just not my cup of tea. Will wait.
Glad to see JJP is working on #2!
Hopefully an Ace up their sleeve for #3.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude. That would be awesome. Wonder if Lyman is going to do something like that in Metallica or if he's just gonna use color changers to be song based like ACDC

Nothing new under the sun. Steve Ritchie said AC/DC would use the RGB lights in this way before AC/DC was launched last year. IIRC the example was purple lights for EB's for the rollovers above the pops. IIRC it was on Spooky's podcast. He also mentioned an minature golf rule with the bell, but I don't think that is going to make the cut either--we shall see.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I had the exact same thought today in a thread about Paragon's asymmetrical slings.... why not take full advantage of the widebody format and do something unique?

It's pretty clear that JJP is playing it safely with the Hobbit, or at least so far with another license and a vanilla-cookie cutter PF design.

So much for all the promises Jack made. Gary pwns Jack.

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

To the outside of the slingshot stuff are lanes, if the lane goes to flipper it's a return lane or inlane, if it drains to go off the playfield it's a drain lane.
Double means two.
So you get two inlanes !
LTG : )

Guess my pun imitating the "Double Rainbows" meme fell flat on its face

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Elfman:

Only for some.

#162 10 years ago

Looks good so far!

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

It's pretty clear that JJP is playing it safely with the Hobbit, or at least so far with another license and a vanilla-cookie cutter PF design.
So much for all the promises Jack made. Gary pwns Jack.

LOL, love your sarcasm. Gary sure does show a TON of creativity in the bottom quarter of his playfields! I mean now and again you get TWO inlanes on one side! Blows my mind every time!

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Elfman:

Flat on mine anyway.

LTG : )

#165 10 years ago

I dont know how you guys can make so much out of the least interesting part of the playfield. 2 flippers. check. 2 slings. check. Anything after that is gravy. Its the upper playfield Im interested in.

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Gary sure does show a TON of creativity in the bottom quarter of his playfields! I mean now and again you get TWO inlanes on one side! Blows my mind every time!

Most fun/interesting lower playfield in modern era is WOF.. just sayin.

WoZ is unique also for the bumper of course.

#167 10 years ago

Yes, WoF was definitely very unique. It was also a total flop and one of only a few games Stern ever cleared out at discount rates. Maybe that's why they haven't done anything unique since.

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Hopefully an Ace up their sleeve for #3

STAR WARS jjp game would be incredible . . . . I would be in

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I dont know how you guys can make so much out of the least interesting part of the playfield. 2 flippers. check. 2 slings. check. Anything after that is gravy. Its the upper playfield Im interested in.

Well said ,CAD drawings are not sexy. Interested in seeing how it ends up, but not buying the le or the normal one new, hell no Jack.. it could be made of solid gold and worth triple the price and the best since slice bread still not buying it, and hope it ships one day.

#170 10 years ago

I don't know, looks like hundreds of other pinball machines to me. I'm sure its going to be cool but from that photo how can you tell anything of substance as to how the game will be. Heck Woz is out now and I would say you need a bunch of games to really see how it is going to be. I put a few games on WOZ at the Allentown show with 1.04 on it and could'nt begin to reveiw it for actual game play. Was it fun yes but I couldn't figure out what was going on after only 4 games...

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Its the upper playfield Im interested in.

I don't think anyone would argue that.

Quoted from starbase:

Well said ,CAD drawings are not sexy.

Well, not to you, anyway.

I think most everyone would like to see full playfield pictures, art, rules, heck even gameplay videos. But this is what we currently have and why not talk about it. This is a pinball forum, what else are we going to talk about?

--Luke

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You should put that in your signature.

If we could have signatures here, I would.

#173 10 years ago

Personally I'm glad we don't have signatures here and hope it stays that way.

#174 10 years ago

WoF's problem was theme, not gameplay. Sound familiar?

You guys who say that all Sterns are the same sound like my non-pinball friends.

Post edited by swampfire : Wrong block quote

#175 10 years ago

I was looking at all sorts of lower playfields this past week after the announcement of "The Hobbit PF PIC" and spotted one that I thought had innovation from Premier Tech in 1987. The pin is called Monte Carlo. If you look at the return lane/inlane you will see targets on top that are for a calculated shot from the tips of the flippers to go upwards. It seems like an interesting/challenging shot and I'm wondering if any other pins have incorporated this feature? I believe something like this would be a strong feature to see in The Hobbit or JJP#3... Llyod,Can you pass this along to Jack? THX! MC1987.jpgMC1987.jpg

#176 10 years ago

Neil Shatz would love that game.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I was looking at all sorts of lower playfields this past week after the announcement of "The Hobbit PF PIC" and spotted one that I thought had innovation from Premier Tech in 1987. The pin is called Monte Carlo. If you look at the return lane/inlane you will see targets on top that are for a calculated shot from the tips of the flippers to go upwards. It seems like an interesting/challenging shot and I'm wondering if any other pins have incorporated this feature? I believe something like this would be a strong feature to see with the third flipper in The Hobbit... Llyod,Can you pass this along to Jack? THX!

I totally don't want to bust your chops but Monte Carlo is one of my least favorite pins of all time. I am one of those guys who truly likes them all but that game just makes me want to go over to someone and punch them for no reason. The 10 million shot seems so random on that game. Just thinking about it is getting me angry.

#178 10 years ago

TRG, That's cool how you don't like the game, but I like the 80's feel and the cross-over inlane shot is a clever design. I never made the 10mil shot, but it gets the adrenaline going when it starts up. I believe Alvin Gottlieb and Gil Pollock are somewhere on the translight, which is a cool homage for all the work they have done with pinball. What Premier game do you think has the best intuitive design?

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

TRG, That's cool how you don't like the game, but I like the 80's feel and the cross-over inlane shot is a clever design. I never made the 10mil shot, but it gets the adrenaline going when it starts up. I believe Alvin Gottlieb and Gil Pollock are somewhere on the translight, which is a cool homage for all the work they have done with pinball. What Premier game do you think has the best intuitive design?

I don't want to answer that. . Not a huge Premier fan.

#180 10 years ago

Just thinking about it is getting me angry.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry....just sayin'...

hulk2.gifhulk2.gif

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I totally don't want to bust your chops but Monte Carlo is one of my least favorite pins of all time. I am one of those guys who truly likes them all but that game just makes me want to go over to someone and punch them for no reason. The 10 million shot seems so random on that game. Just thinking about it is getting me angry.

This is how most crapliebs make me feel.

#182 10 years ago

I like some Gottlieb EMs. I like StarGate. That is all.

#183 10 years ago

"Crapliebs"?

Seriously?

I am not a big fan of most of the system 3s, but Gottlieb made many, many outstanding SS and EM games.

Gottlieb deserves more respect than that.

#185 10 years ago

Got Axes?

axe_check_by_pervalicious-d56o9xp.pngaxe_check_by_pervalicious-d56o9xp.png

Check.

#186 10 years ago

My son loves the different layouts they actually use.

#187 10 years ago

*off Hobbit topic...After a few beers this evening I thought about your reaction regarding Monte Carlo and "Hypotheically" if I was to punch someone for no reason while they were playing a Premier pinball machine it would be Diamond Lady.

diamondlady.jpgdiamondlady.jpg

#188 10 years ago

Least premire and gottlieb tried original designs. Didn't copy themselves and tried to give each game it's own feel and look. I'd take that over having the last 10 games have practically the same damn cookie cutter layout.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

WoF's problem was theme, not gameplay. Sound familiar?
You guys who say that all Sterns are the same sound like my non-pinball friends.

I know I'm in the mionority, but I don't mind the theme. Complete software (or lack thereof) seemed to be the main issue. I agree that the WOZ theme isn't for everyone. I don't love the theme, but after seeing it in person and playing it, I liked it more and bought one. I think he did a great job.

1 month later
#190 10 years ago

Just spotted this update regarding the movie. What a project. Hoping JJP will be having a set visit or an update regarding the work on the pinball machine. Bellow is the link:
http://themoviebox.net/3106

#191 10 years ago

Does anyone know what the last machine to have a kickback was? T3 I'm thinking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-pf-pic/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.