axe_check_by_pervalicious-d56o9xp.png
hulk2.gif
MC1987.jpg
thumbs_up_britgif.gif
Hobbit_PF_fixed_by_Kingpin.jpg
images.jpg
baywatch.jpg
image.jpg
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

While it's not shown in the pic, Jack was talking about the game at Allentown and said the design they were working on had subways, a ball-eating Smaug, and an under playfield. It definitely peaked my interest...

#102 10 years ago

That's the joke.

#103 10 years ago

At least somebody gets my jokes.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wow...symmetric slings...boring. Need to take a page out of Paragon, and bring back asymmetric slings!

Yeahno. My Laser Cue has those, since on the right it has two flippers, no inlane, and a lower kicker than usual. The ball loves to go right kicker --> left kicker --> right outlane.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Not this shit again. Tidbit by tidbit. Seriously, makes me not want to by a JJP ever. Wake me up when there is actually something to talk about.

Just be patient. Maybe in a year you'll see pictures of a white-board playfeild.

#106 10 years ago

<jalpert said:>Not this shit again. Tidbit by tidbit. Seriously, makes me not want to by a JJP ever. Wake me up when there is actually something to talk about.

Yes...go away...we'll wake you...

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

While it's not shown in the pic, Jack was talking about the game at Allentown and said the design they were working on had subways, a ball-eating Smaug, and an under playfield. It definitely peaked my interest...

An under playfield? To me it doesn't seem like there'd be room for one... a "traditional" one anyway. They're usually fairly low on the playfield, and I'd think we'd see part of the cutout for it on the print. But... this is just crazy talk... what if the under playfield wasn't visible through the main playfield at all, and completely hidden? Until the ball went into play in the under playfield, at which point this playfield was displayed on the LCD backglass via live camera feed... I'll STFU now.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

An under playfield? To me it doesn't seem like there'd be room for one... a "traditional" one anyway. They're usually fairly low on the playfield, and I'd think we'd see part of the cutout for it on the print. But... this is just crazy talk... what if the under playfield wasn't visible through the main playfield at all, and completely hidden? Until the ball went into play in the under playfield, at which point this playfield was displayed on the LCD backglass via live camera feed... I'll STFU now.

I dropped that a while back and it did not get much response. I think it would be different and the lower PF could be anywhere and even bigger than most, maybe even playable.

I love the idea.

#109 10 years ago

I can't see the top of the playfield

#110 10 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

I can't see the top of the playfield

I can't see the artwork...

#113 10 years ago

Hmmm. It's kinda short.

Is it a Shortandwidebody?

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Really? Based on what? A pf drawing showing the slings, outlanes, flippers and an outlane kicker. That equals sub-$6k to you? What an *informed* opinion! ("informed" being a euphemism for a word that could be considered a contraction of 'more platonic.')
The JJP widebody platform alone suggests a >$6k game, esp. in today's market considering the alternatives. Solid cabinet and playfield with hi-res artwork, more than 7 plies in the damned pf, custom quality toys, 150 w/ch *stereo* sound system, 26" lcd. Even the Stern LEs don't have a fraction of these quality components.

For the fact that no NIB pin should cost over 6k anyway.

#115 10 years ago

Will beat Woz out of spot#17 sometime next week. Yeah I know it is just the lower half of PF pic CAD drawing.

Going to be EPIC

For the record I am interested but come on guys really. We cannot even wait for a full pic now and we are praising it like it is the next big thing.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Will beat Woz out of spot#17 sometime next week. Yeah I know it is just the lower half of PF pic CAD drawing.
Going to be EPIC
For the record I am interested but come on guys really. We cannot even wait for a full pic now and we are praising it like it is the next big thing.

I did not take what some are saying as calling it the next big thing. It looked like people were just talking about what they liked in the picture. That is just being positive and talking about it with friends. That was what drew the people to Pinside in the first place. You were there when people could just talk about cool things.

I am wondering how those sling axe things are going to work. Interesting idea.

One thing it shows is that JJP is looking ahead and plans on being around a long time. (No need to tell us about that stats for startup business, heard it the first 271 times.)

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Hmmm. It's kinda short.
Is it a Shortandwidebody?

Sounds like an ex of mine

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I dropped that a while back and it did not get much response. I think it would be different and the lower PF could be anywhere and even bigger than most, maybe even playable.I love the idea.

That would be a very risky move to pull but potentially a fantastic idea.

#119 10 years ago

Still relatively new around here, but I spoke to my distributor via email yesterday when he sent me this drawing (have on hold #138 LE version with him) and he told me that JJP has a timeline on the licensing which if he does not meet it will cost him more. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that or if true how much the penalty is. Hopefully that and the fact that JJP is not designing the entire software from scratch will help in the delay department. I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Just be patient. Maybe in a year you'll see pictures of a white-board playfeild.

I don't get it.

#121 10 years ago

Did anyone know it has taken a longer to build a company from the ground up then expected.

#122 10 years ago

That pic is fantastic in its nothingness.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Sounds like an ex of mine

Thanks for the laugh to start my morning. Almost spit out my coffee!

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

That would be a very risky move to pull but potentially a fantastic idea.

I don't care for the blind under playfield camera idea much at all. Taking 3D pinball into the 2D video realm seems gimmicky and fraught with peril. If it didn't shoot well, it would sink the game. Call me a traditionalist, but I'd much rather see an extensive subway system where the balls get staged underneath like STTNG, so they can appear instantly and unexpectedly across the playfield.

#125 10 years ago

Nope, but don't think for a second they don't have the upper half of that drawing. If they want to release the design as it is today, release it. But don't mess around with just the flipper portion. They are holding back so that in a week they can release the upper left side, then the middle, then the upper right side to get rises out of people for an entire month when they could have just told us what they know today.

It's just a severely annoying marketing tactic. Show it, fine. Don't show it, fine, but I think they are treating us like idiots here.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Would you rather they wait until one month before release and just get everything at once? If so...guess what, you can do that! Just don't click on any Hobbit threads!

#126 10 years ago

Some information is better than no information, especially if you've dropped money on this already. But that's just me, call me crazy.

#127 10 years ago

If I dropped money on something, all the information is better than some of the information. Call me crazy.

Quoted from nephasth:

Some information is better than no information, especially if you've dropped money on this already. But that's just me, call me crazy.

#128 10 years ago

You're crazy. But yes, none < some < all.

#129 10 years ago

Man this looks sweet hope it is

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Nope, but don't think for a second they don't have the upper half of that drawing. If they want to release the design as it is today, release it. But don't mess around with just the flipper portion. They are holding back so that in a week they can release the upper left side, then the middle, then the upper right side to get rises out of people for an entire month when they could have just told us what they know today.
It's just a severely annoying marketing tactic. Show it, fine. Don't show it, fine, but I think they are treating us like idiots here.

If it bothers you, just don't read any Hobbit threads for like a year. Then you will get most of the info all at once. And for the record, I'm not saying I like this marketing strategy, but it is what it is.

--Luke

#131 10 years ago

As a preorder customer I appreciate any information how little it is as opposed to none. Yes all the information would be nice but releasing it a little bit at a time helps the hype and I understand that. Also the licensing may cause some issues, I was under the expectation that we wouldn't see any images until late this year so getting this now is just a nice bonus.

Now onto my thoughts. I am not a expert pinball player, I have only played a few machines and none of the a+ titles so I can't really compare some of the items in the game to what I have played because I just haven't played a lot, but from what I can see in the image it looks like a lot of fun and I am very excited to see more over the next year, and hopefully next summer/fall receive an amazing machine, which is what it is all about.

#132 10 years ago

While everyone seems to be jumping on the praise bandwagon, I'm a bit concerned over those axes. If those are going to be linked to the slingshot mechs, that looks to me like they (JJP) haven't learned from other's mistakes.

Case in point, Scared Stiff. They added a metal "finger" on top of the sling armature to hold the Boogie Men. The weight of the finger and the Boogie Men was too much for the small base and three screws that hold the armature bracket on the playfield. Those screws end up getting pulled out over time. Every SS I've shopped has needed to have the holes rebuilt under the playfield and then those wear out over time too.

So I'm hopeful they're NOT just adding linkage to the axes from the sling kickers but I wouldn't bet on it.

#133 10 years ago

You are completely missing my point, but that's okay.

Quoted from HighNoon:

If it bothers you, just don't read any Hobbit threads for like a year. Then you will get most of the info all at once. And for the record, I'm not saying I like this marketing strategy, but it is what it is.

--Luke

Great games don't need this much hype, they speak for themselves.

Quoted from fluffybunny:

releasing it a little bit at a time helps the hype and I understand that.

#134 10 years ago

Here's what it SHOULD have looked like. FIXED!

Hobbit_PF_fixed_by_Kingpin.jpgHobbit_PF_fixed_by_Kingpin.jpg

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Nope, but don't think for a second they don't have the upper half of that drawing. If they want to release the design as it is today, release it.

I assumed that since images of Smaug (from the second movie) haven't been publically released yet that JJP is not allowed to publically reveal any images / toys that portray Smaug. Since from the text it sounds like Smaug is the main toy my guess is that it will be late this year before we can see the full playfield art and/or all the toys.

#136 10 years ago

Good point.

Quoted from vislor:

I assumed that since images of Smaug (from the second movie) haven't been publically released yet that JJP is not allowed to publically reveal any images / toys that portray Smaug. Since from the text it sounds like Smaug is the main toy my guess is that it will be late this year before we can see the full playfield art and/or all the toys.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That pic is fantastic in its nothingness.

Come on, man, that's not really fair.

Those slingshots are bad ass!

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from vislor:

I assumed that since images of Smaug (from the second movie) haven't been publically released yet that JJP is not allowed to publically reveal any images / toys that portray Smaug. Since from the text it sounds like Smaug is the main toy

Yes.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

For the fact that no NIB pin should cost over 6k anyway.

You should put that in your signature.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Smaug's tail will be a ramp, mark my words!

smaug's wings will be ramps. I read it on the internet so it must be true

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

I like it

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

While everyone seems to be jumping on the praise bandwagon, I'm a bit concerned over those axes. If those are going to be linked to the slingshot mechs, that looks to me like they (JJP) haven't learned from other's mistakes.
Case in point, Scared Stiff. They added a metal "finger" on top of the sling armature to hold the Boogie Men. The weight of the finger and the Boogie Men was too much for the small base and three screws that hold the armature bracket on the playfield. Those screws end up getting pulled out over time. Every SS I've shopped has needed to have the holes rebuilt under the playfield and then those wear out over time too.
So I'm hopeful they're NOT just adding linkage to the axes from the sling kickers but I wouldn't bet on it.

This could be remedied with a straight through bolt with a nut or they could add a threaded insert into the wood for bolt to tighten in to

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

smaug's wings will be ramps. I read it on the internet so it must be true

Yeah, and I'm a French model. Now, are there any hot blondes around here?

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

Personally, I like it the way it the way the designers have drawn it just fine.

Even thought the left outlane looks deadly, it should be fun, as long as it's reasonable to requalify the kickback once it gets used. Reminds me a bit of STTNG, where relighting the kickback becomes priority one once you use it. On STTNG, as long as your aim is decent (and it isn't one of the lowest Klingon or Ferengi targets), you have a fighting chance, which is half the fun.

Nudging, which seems the point of your redesign might not be necessary if the kickback can be (re)qualified relatively easily. Then it becomes a testament to skill. Worst case, if you wanted it really lenient, there could be a software setting that requalifies the kickback after a brief timeout without even having to hit targets or what not.

-Jim

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Not only is that a cool idea, but imagine what "extras" could be added to the playfield if you were playing it via cam on the LCD...you could do P2K type stuff. Animated characters running around on the playfield, Gollum running around, the dragon flying around...you could really do anything. It would still be a physical playfield with cool next-gen animated tricks.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Yeah, and I'm a French model. Now, are there any hot blondes around here?

You rang?

#147 10 years ago

Snap! thumbs_up_britgif.gifthumbs_up_britgif.gif

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Personally, I like it the way it the way the designers have drawn it just fine.
Even thought the left outlane looks deadly, it should be fun, as long as it's reasonable to requalify the kickback once it gets used. Reminds me a bit of STTNG, where relighting the kickback becomes priority one once you use it. On STTNG, as long as your aim is decent (and it isn't one of the lowest Klingon or Ferengi targets), you have a fighting chance, which is half the fun.
Nudging, which seems the point of your redesign might not be necessary if the kickback can be (re)qualified relatively easily. Then it becomes a testament to skill. Worst case, if you wanted it really lenient, there could be a software setting that requalifies the kickback after a brief timeout without even having to hit targets or what not.
-Jim

I find that the with two double inlanes it's not deadly enough and if anything it's just incredibly boring- way too symmetrical to be interesting from a visual or ball movement stand point. The only deadly aspect would come from a power drain off top of the right sling, but that happens regardless of the outlane setup and you still have a kickback with the original drawing.

I just think if it's going to be a widebody, make use of it like the homage to classic SS games (Fathom and Embryon) that I drew up. It seems that Joe just went the opposite direction and wants the bottom third to play more like a slim body--Stern already makes enough of those for everyone.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not only is that a cool idea, but imagine what "extras" could be added to the playfield if you were playing it via cam on the LCD...you could do P2K type stuff. Animated characters running around on the playfield, Gollum running around, the dragon flying around...you could really do anything. It would still be a physical playfield with cool next-gen animated tricks.

Aside from defeating the purpose of playing a physical game (and stepping closer to traditional video games) I think what sounds interesting in theory would be awful in execution. One of the best parts of virtual pinball is the point of viewing (the "camera" lens) can move up the playfield (or a different angle) as the ball moves around the playfield. With a camera in a fixed position as is being suggested here .. playfield via the LCD would be less than pleasing. Not to mention the technical complexity behind keeping the camera lens clean, at the perfect angle to view the full 'under' playfield, and in focus for every area of the playfield. Longer term lighting issues (keeping it well lit) and other heating issues seem inevitable as well. No thank you.

#150 10 years ago

Maybe there will be a clear panel in the front of the cabinet and you will have to bend down to see Gollum's cave...errr, the lower playfield.

--Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-pf-pic/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.