IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9432 3 years ago

I joined the club today with Black Arrow #224!

62795558020__AE8018B8-1A92-42FB-B215-B9DE59AA13A5 (resized).jpeg62795558020__AE8018B8-1A92-42FB-B215-B9DE59AA13A5 (resized).jpeg
#9447 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Does anyone bother replacing the 12-volt spot lights , mine constantly go out and same with all the other Hobbits I see .

Mine are out - I had problems with this style on POTC too.

A good robust fix is Comet bulbs and PinMonk e-tape fix which makes them snug, secure, and electrically consistent.

#9449 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

So when you gonna stream some Hobbit? As a fellow JJP enthusiast, I'm curious as to your gameplay approach and perspective on it.

Eh, I dunno...maybe tomorrow? I haven't even lifted the playfield yet. Not sure what the capture situation is.

2 weeks later
#9504 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have never had a brand new bolt break off.
But I have had a couple 30 year old, worn/bent and stretched ones break off.
But like you said, its only a bolt...get another one, lol

I broke 2 brand new bolts with PBL kits. I was still able to use the kits by transferring the old bolts.

What broke was the round pacman-shaped flat bit - the bolt popped right out of it. I didn't even crank it down that much!

1 week later
#9523 3 years ago

I've got two issues:

1. Balfor target is reporting stuck open. I've already fixed it once and it broke again.
2. My wife reports the flippers died on her twice last night. It worked fine for me (to her frustration) but I believe her 100%. She has a very good track record for identifying issues on our pins.

I know how to fix #1. I do not know how to even diagnose #2. Maybe it's a side effect of the loose wire on Balfor, dunno.

#9526 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check flipper button leaf blade switches. I had one that was just crappy. Then check wiring from coils to coils in search of a poor solder joint of connector on the back of the big metal box not shoved in tight enough or a wire sticking up from it.
LTG : )

When the flippers died, it was both of them which would seem to absolve a button leaf. I will walk back the wiring and connectors though and look for issues.

#9530 3 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

It wasn't because she killed Smaug, was it?

(both flipper die while Smaug dies on-screen)

Nope, I made sure of that.

#9532 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

When the flippers died, it was both of them which would seem to absolve a button leaf. I will walk back the wiring and connectors though and look for issues.

I fixed the target and I'm still intermittently dropping flippers. My wife just saw it in multiball. I don't see anything wrong on the coil wiring.

This one is a bummer.

#9536 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

This happened to me for a while. Clean the ball through optos and re-seat all wires to the ball through. The game kept thinking I had lost all balls at random times and both flippers would go dead, forcing the drain. If I opened the door and closed it again, then the game would kick out another ball and act like nothing happened. Yes, this happened a lot during multiball, but also at other times.

Thanks, I will look at this today. I also got a suggestion to make sure the interlock switch is secure.

Also: hello, Frisco neighbor!

3 weeks later
#9617 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Anyone have a link to off brand servo motor to replace Smaug mouth? also I would like to find some kind of better looking Goblin and Orc? also anyone find a replica Black Arrow like in the movie? would love one for a topper. and also some advice adding more spotlights and light strips, should I just tap into existing spotlights?

I found this in a Hobbit repair thread

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html

#9648 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I find headphones somewhat pointless with Hobbit. The drop target banks are so loud that when the headphones are in, it still makes way too much noise for everyone else. If anything, the noise of the drop target banks without any music to mask the sound is even worse.

That's true for flipper noise too. I see the point of headphones as being able to hear the callouts in a noisy environment.

#9650 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Yeah, I have some noise cancelling Bluetooth earbuds that overall make the music and call outs louder relative to the game sounds and I like that, but I’m sure it’s still loud to everyone else in the house. The crazy dog finds it soothing - she comes and falls asleep under it when we’re playing

When I got my first pin, my dog would go outside and bark at it through the sliding glass door the living room had.

He has gotten used to the constant smacking sounds now, and will sleep with the occasional little twitch at a loud sound.

#9675 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Not a member, forgive me, but I wanted to know owners impressions. I really want this pin but I just talked to a guy who had owned this and he said "I hated it, the ramps were too far back". I said, "were they hard to hit or just not satisfying". His response, "Not Satisfying".
So I don't know his favorite games but here are mine: Indian Jones PA, Simpsons PP, LotR. I like deeper games where there is some tactics to the shots. I don't really care that much about flow and speed.
So big question (and be honest) will I like this game....

I had a lot of trepidation going into Hobbit. I am not a fan of the theme, have not seen the movies, and was concerned the layout would be off-putting.

I am happy to report it turned out to be yet another JJP favorite.

You buddy’s comment about the ramps is puzzling to me. The ramps are easy to hit and strategic for starting modes / changing modes.

If you have a line on one, get it - if you don’t like it you won’t lose money.

2 weeks later
#9748 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Auto Plunge when not ready to start??
Every once in a while a ball will auto plunge at the start of a persons turn when they are not ready?
It doesn’t happen all the time but it does happen ...
Any thoughts?

I had this happen - check for a stuck switch or a leaf that is too easy to activate from vibration.

#9761 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

On my machine the upper and lower flippers are used the exact same number of times each game?

No stage flipping?

#9763 3 years ago

Play better

#9821 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Let me get this straight, you are reverse engineering the mod that trumpanche developed and cutting him out by publishing the print file?
TellMeIHaveThisWrongPunkin

This is why I gave up making apps for the App Store, there is always someone ready to make a free clone of your app and tank your business.

2 weeks later
#9940 3 years ago

I put cliffys on Hobbit last night. Not the easiest job, particularly on the left side, but I'm happy with the results. I was getting a little wear around the holes.

IMG_2888 (resized).jpegIMG_2888 (resized).jpegIMG_2889 (resized).jpegIMG_2889 (resized).jpeg
#9946 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I did the cliffy on the right about a month ago. Looked at the left side and everything that had to be removed and said "nope!". I know I need to get it done, but been super lazy about it.

Correct. Topside, you have to remove:

- The pile of gold (one nut)
- The green diverter plastic (two nuts)

Underside, you need to remove:

- The DWARF bank
- The VUK

This gets you access to the nut you need for removing the small post. Fairly involved but I got it done.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Looks good. Do they affect gameplay at all?
I bought these to add to my game as well. Need to replace the ramp flaps too. Not looking forward to it.

No gameplay impact. I was starting to get a little chipping around the holes so it was time. Past time.

#9956 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I've gotten to the point that when someone says they don't like Hobbit, I feel they either haven't actually played it or are morons. The game is my favorite in my collection.

Having a game in your home so you can understand the rules and callouts makes a big difference. I didn't like it either on a casual pass, now that we own one I like it a lot.

#9968 3 years ago

I'm glad everyone is excited about the gate, but I personally want to play the game as designed.

#9988 3 years ago

Or if you want to support the guy who invented it.

#10001 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

it was originally designed without the shot through the pops. They changed that last minute when Keith suggested to add another shot to get more balls in the pops and they added the target in the back. This was posted on the JJP forum years ago. It’s still in my mind but I have no link to the actual message.
The Bag End was only a target originally.

I did not know that, thanks!

#10003 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Auto launch a ball sometimes?
What should I be looking for? I’ve slapped the playfield to see if something is loose but nothing? It doesn’t happen all the time but is frustrating, sometimes I think it happens when the drop targets all pop back up then it launches the ball ... not sure if that is actually the case but looking for tips

When this happened to me I had a switch that was sticking - the metal loop switch in the windlance lane was mine, but it could really be any of them. The switch would get stuck down, then the vibration of the drop targets would release it, causing the code to launch the ball out of the shooter lane.

I think I bent it a bit when cleaning/waxing, correcting that so it moved freely resolved it.

#10005 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

At the risk of sounding dumb ... what is the windlance lane?

Kickback lane on the bottom left of the playfield.

1 week later
#10059 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I ask because I've had bad luck stripping out screws when replacing them in wood.

A tip I got from Butch Peel - when reinserting screws in wood, start by turning counter clockwise until it "pops" then go clockwise.

#10079 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Hoping to get some practical advice from the group. Our yellow standup target (Bombur) behind the "F" drop target isn't registering hits (nor finger pokes in switch test). Any advice for a fix? It's really tough to get at those targets under the PF because the mech for the drop targets covers them. Thanks!

I had the same fault.

Remove the drop target bank (4 screws) then you will be able to see the leaf switches, probably one needs to be soldered.

#10114 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Just got my Smaug Edition a few days ago and love it. Very pleasantly surprised how much I like playing this game. Still on the honeymoon, but it will be here awhile if not forever. A couple of questions:
It’s the first old school JJP I’ve seen, with the computer under the playfield and the monitor hard mounted in the backbox. Curious, are the Black Arrow editions like this or are they setup like the newer ones (with computer in the backbox and monitor on a telescoping mount)?
Also, the volume control looks like the attached picture which isn’t the same as my 4 other JJP’s. Haven’t tried to see if it works with headphones, but it doesn’t work adjusting the system volume. A) is this the stock volume control, and B) any suggestions on what to check to get working? I haven’t looked at the computer setup under the playfield let, maybe something came unplugged during shipping.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Black Arrow is the same.

Consider this product from Pinnovators for volume:
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/the-hobbit-black-arrow-special-edition/products/jjp-mac-master-audio-control-panel

#10119 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Update: Removed the drop target bank per your advice and yes, the green wire connecting to the standup target needed to be soldered. Suspended the drop target bank with zip ties while soldering. It was easy and everything working now! Thanks again!

Hey that's awesome! Way to fix it!

2 weeks later
#10166 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

5 years later and The Hobbit is probably my favorite pin I own. The game is just loaded and has in my opinion the deepest objective based ruleset ever created for a pinball machine. The code work done by Keith Johnson, Joe Katz, and especially Ted Estes with the final few updates (he did a ton of work with those last few updates that took the game to the next level) makes this games code masterpiece level. I don't think we will ever see another pin have the amount and quality of objective based modes as The Hobbit. Also, the audio work by David Thiel is incredible as well.

I agree! I wasn't sure about this game - it didn't grab me playing it in friends collections - but when I got it home and wrapped my head around it I really started appreciating it. It's a great game.

3 months later
#10534 2 years ago

I have one outstanding bug on this machine, occasionally it will kill the flippers during a multiball. It seems to me the likely cause is losing track of ball count, which makes me suspect trough.

Did Hobbit ever have trough board solder joint issues like Wonka?

3 weeks later
#10616 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

I can’t believe Hobbit is on the bottom of the list when it comes to JJP pins on the top 100. Seriously what gives? Do people actually play the game before they rank it?

Hobbit doesn't give a great impression on a drive-by play. You need to spend some time with it at home, get your head around the rules, etc.

I think it's great!

2 weeks later
#10653 2 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Playfield swap on this one is probably as involved as it gets.
[quoted image]

Please document it for future swappers! And good luck!

#10691 2 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Swap coming along, reassembly half done.
If you have never done one, let alone a beast such as this, it’s really not that hard.

As a person who will do at least one playfield swap one day, this is great to see.
I didn't expect it to be difficult either, so long as you're detail oriented and document the disassembly well.

#10693 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I know which one!
Pick me! Pick ME!
[quoted image]

Heh. I will do Wonka CE at some point - already bought the playfield, mylars, plastics, nuts etc. Everything I need to refresh it which we WILL need to do one day as we're approaching 10,000 plays. Susan has agreed to do a stream for our 10,000th play which may include a costume.

I'll do GNR CE too.

Strangely my Hobbit is holding up spectacularly save for minor rub wear at the scoops which I covered with Cliffys.

POTC CE looks great too, as this machine was protected with wider posts/gummy washers very early. Cliffys there too.

4 weeks later
#10816 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Has anyone removed one? If so, did it improve the vibrance of the artwork to a degree that made it worthwhile?

Those things suck, you will be happier without it.

2 months later
#11027 2 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Hey everyone,
I'm wondering if any of you have had issues with the 15-0031-01 Insert RGB LED control boards in this game. On our game the lights under the dwarf drop targets are not working. I've traced the lines back to this board, I checked the connections and everything seems good, I noticed the three LEDs on the board are different than on the other boards throughout the game, the middle LED is red, this stays this way even if just the power is applied to the board. I seem to be having a hard time finding much info on these, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
[quoted image]
edit: As I am looking at this, I think the leds are indicators for surface mount fuses... may have blown one somehow.

Have you tried plugging in that molex hanging next to the empty socket?

1 month later
#11158 2 years ago

I have an unresolved issue on my Hobbit - intermittently during multiballs, the flippers will die and drain me out.
I suspect trough boards but I haven't been able to confirm it, device test always seems to work.

Intermittent problems suck, I may just buy new trough boards to see it fixes things.

I want to get it fixed as I want to sell it, I have need for cash and space.

2 months later
#11256 2 years ago
Quoted from VeggiePin:

Any thoughts on Side Blades for Hobbit? I have the Black Arrow edition and am taking the playfield out. This is the time to install some side blades. I am thinking about mirrored blades? I saw some cool ones that look like a map heading to Erabor too. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has installed blades and what you think of them. Thanks!

I recently sold my Black Arrow and installed side blades for the buyer - I gotta say it came out really nice and made me regret the sale a bit

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-hobbit-pinblades

66958700762__B6F15667-BD79-4F0A-8E59-F0C888224F98.jpeg66958700762__B6F15667-BD79-4F0A-8E59-F0C888224F98.jpegIMG_0027.jpegIMG_0027.jpegIMG_0028.jpegIMG_0028.jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.