IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xpertdba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4238 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yes, but more importantly; "Added Critic's Cut preset".

For those of us that have just purchased the game (I'm on 2.01), what is the Critic's Cut preset and what does it do?

Thanks in advance.

#4240 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

People (critics) were complaining about the stacking of Beast MB and Smaug MB, so the settings were tweaked to make one qualify before the other. It works to a degree:
...it's located in the difficulty presets, it's another option added to the easy, medium, difficult, competition, etc. menu. You scroll through them and it's at the bottom.
What it does is change the settings for the Smaug locks for Smaug MB and Beast qualifiers for Beast MB - the aim being to play them separately.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and being detailed...appreciated.

3 weeks later
#4287 6 years ago

I am getting a red messsage when I turn on the machine. When I go into the menus, it is saing "bad switch on Dragon (Smaug) Limit - Right" then when I go into another screen, it says Check Matrixed Switch #30 Dragon (Smaug) Limit - right (stuck closed).

When the dragon head turns back to the right, it is like the head is skipping, but finally makes it to the end after a bunch of skips.

What should I do? I'm a new user and am not incredibly mechanically inclined and don't want to break something.

Thanks - RW

#4289 6 years ago

Ok, and my next step would be what?

#4291 6 years ago

Just for reference, for everyone else...I found that the wire at the back of the Smaug head was looped in between the space between the head and the ramp. I pushed the wire down, and now everything seems to be ok. Thanks, RW

4 months later
#4799 5 years ago

Any word on when the next big update is going to drop? Seems like the chatter has dropped off considerably since a few months ago when the board was buzzing about it. If anyone knows dates or a general time frame, I'm very curious.

3 months later
#5420 5 years ago

I've been away from the board for quite some time. I'm currently on Version 2.01.

What's the latest version, and what does it have included in it? I think I read earlier that we're at 2.98 or something?

Does it have a final final mode and if so, what do you do to complete it?

Is there going to be a 3.00 release? If so, when and what will it have in it?

Thanks ahead of time......

#5423 5 years ago

All 31 modes in one game? I've had 4.6M games killing Smaug and getting to the final Wizard mode, but even then I was only doing 10 or 12 modes and getting a ton of extra balls.

Wouldn't playing every mode be practically impossible? Has anyone here ever done that in a regular 3-ball game?

#5433 5 years ago

So another question about this Final Mode.....do you have to go through all 3 Wizard modes to be able to get to the Final Mode, or is an independent event (i.e. once I have started all 31 modes, it becomes available regardless what else I've done to that point)?

#5435 5 years ago

Well guys, just downloaded and installed the new software. Played a few games and on one of them, got on a nice long run.

Got through all 3 wizard modes (didn't kill Smaug though).......I actually got 22 modes open. I still think getting all 31 is going to be practically impossible though. That was my third best game ever, and still didn't get close to all 31.

I love the percent complete status added to the book on each mode. The 3,2,1 countdown is a little annoying, however. Like all the other changes though.

31 modes....just seems impossible. lol

Hobbit_Game_092218 (resized).jpgHobbit_Game_092218 (resized).jpg
#5472 5 years ago

I'm sure this has been answered before, but feel too lazy to try and find it.

Where does the game display the number of extra balls you have saved up during your game? Is that a setting I have to turn on?

I never know how many are in reserve.

Thanks.....

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Balls in reserve setting.

Where exactly is this located in the menus? I couldn't find it.

#5477 5 years ago

Thanks so much. One further question on this.....I turned it on and see where it's displaying on the screen. If on the first ball, I get 2 extra balls will it show all of those balls or just max out at 3 on the screen? What if I was to get really lucky and get 3 or 4 extra balls on the 1st ball. Will it show all of those? What's the maximum it displays on the screen?

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The number will show the 3 balls + add any extra balls you earn. There is a maximum extra balls setting in the menu. I think the default setting is a maximum of 5 extra balls. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

No, didn't mean the setting for how many max. extra balls you could get. Was wondering what the number of max. balls displayed is if you had lots of extra balls saved up, under the Balls in Reserve setting.

#5481 5 years ago

Ah cool......thanks for the image. That answered my question.

1 week later
#5488 5 years ago

Ok, so can someone tell me.

How many waves are there in the mini-Wizard modes to actually defeat them? I get Into the Fire on most games, and I fight through 3 or 4 waves, but usually I can't get past that 4th wave. Is that the last one, and you defeat it if you get through it? Or is there a 5th or 6th wave (or even more)?

Same for Barrel Escape and BOTFA....is there someplace that documents exactly what must be done to fully complete those?

Thanks - Robert

#5506 5 years ago

Thanks....I'll watch the video when I get some time. Main question though is: Is there no place where it's documented how to defeat each of the mini-Wizard modes and how many waves each one entail? I was disappointed when I got my Owners Manual and how large it was to find out 95% of it was schematics and only a tiny fraction of the game play was actually documented. I would hope (once the final code is dropped) that they would fully document how to progress through different parts of the game (I know there's a flowchart, and there are colors directing you to individual shots, and callouts), but it would be nice to know some of these more advanced game flow questions.

#5554 5 years ago

I also have the same issue where the spider isn't dropping quite quick enough before the windlance is shot out. It used to drop right before the ball came out and it was perfectly fine, but now doesn't drop fast enough and the ball ends up hitting the spider.

Someone mentioned bending the beast mechanism forward or backward a bit. Is this the only fix, and is it effective? I'm a little leery about bending anything. Is there any other setting to make windlance delay a bit longer, or the mech to drop quicker?

#5561 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can confirm this is an issue with the recent update, as I’ve been playing my game continuously for a couple weeks, and happened to progressively test 2.95, 2.96 and 2.97 with quite a few plays on each. The spider isn’t dropping quite fast enough, and it hits -every- time it goes to the kickback in Flies & Spiders and Save Kili
Also - has anyone adjusted the speakers or the treble/bass mix? I am suddenly getting a lot of scratchiness from my right BB speaker and I wonder if it’s trying to hard to output bass (it could be distortion from the sound mix but I have it on stock settings)

Is it something JJ is going to fix in the next update? Have they confirmed it is an issue?

Thanks,

RW

#5562 5 years ago

Also, I have been noticing really strange behavior as it relates to the Precioussss ball save green light at the right outlane. It used to be given as a mystery award much more frequently before the 2.96 update, at least that was my theory. Tonight I took the glass off and starting priming the Mystery light and seeing how frequently Precioussss gets rewarded when Mystery award light is hit, and it took me about 25 times before it finally came up. Was this an intentional change in the newest software update? I have not been able to get a score over 1.5 m since the new update and I think most of it stems from this one change. All my top 10 scores before the update were well over 2.5 m.

Can somebody else confirm this behavior I am seeing? I would think the community would want to keep it the old way, as the Precioussss save is quite an enjoyable reward.

#5568 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Also, I have been noticing really strange behavior as it relates to the Precioussss ball save green light at the right outlane. It used to be given as a mystery award much more frequently before the 2.96 update, at least that was my theory. Tonight I took the glass off and starting priming the Mystery light and seeing how frequently Precioussss gets rewarded when Mystery award light is hit, and it took me about 25 times before it finally came up. Was this an intentional change in the newest software update? I have not been able to get a score over 1.5 m since the new update and I think most of it stems from this one change. All my top 10 scores before the update were well over 2.5 m.
Can somebody else confirm this behavior I am seeing? I would think the community would want to keep it the old way, as the Precioussss save is quite an enjoyable reward.

Since no one else seems concerned with this change, I was wondering if there is a way to set how often a particular mystery award is given out in the game menus? Not having the Precioussss light very often is really annoying to me now and shortens the game considerably. I'm still not convinced this was a intended change for the good in 2.96.

#5570 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

It seemed like I used to get it all the time too. I just don't have any evidence. Just seems a LOT less. It was an awesome reward that really felt good to get when that target got smaller and smaller.

I just hate that can't get anywhere close to progressing through the game like before, nor touch my prior top 10 scores. It is severely limiting how much I can get done in my Hobbit 'journey', which is frustrating. I'm surprised others on the forum aren't experiencing the same frustration.

#5574 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There are two ways to light "Gollum Save": completing the inlanes, and via Mystery award.
A change was made in 2.95 to avoid lighting "Gollum Save" when it is not available to use - the most common case being during any multiball. The motivation for the change was to make the inlane completion behavior a little more understandable. Previously, completing the inlanes for "Gollum Save" during multiball would qualify the feature, but it wouldn't be lit until multiball ended. I didn't think this one all the way through - it's much more likely that the inlanes will get completed with multiple balls in play. I will revisit this.
For completeness, here are rules on completing the inlanes ("Light Mystery" lamps). None of this will happen during Arkenstone Modes or "There and Back Again".

- if "Mystery" isn't lit, light Mystery (lamps = blue)
- else, if Thorin isn't lit for "Collect Dwarf", light Thorin (lamps = orange)
[but not if Thorin hasn't been collected]
- else, if Windlance isn't lit, light Windlance (lamps = red)
[but not during any multiball]
- else, if "Gollum Save" isn't lit, light Gollum (lamps = green)
[but not during any multiball]

--Ted

I definitely would appreciate this being looked at. The Gollum Save behavior in the previous version was much more fun and fair. Now, it's much more difficult to progress in the game and you hardly ever even get the chance at the blue Gollum Save meter, because it's off practically all the time.

Thanks - RW

#5591 5 years ago

I summarized the behavior in my original post. The inlanes light these items, in order: Mystery, Thorin, Windlance, Gollum. The first one in the list that is NOT lit will light. (Thus, if you collect Mystery before lighting Gollum, the inlanes will re-light Mystery. Also note that the Mystery target always gives a random award.)
--Ted

So now I'm even more confused than before. So to get the Gollum, you have to light Mystery, Thorin and Windlance without actually collecting them, otherwise it starts all over from scratch?

Btw, I had 2 friends over tonight and the three of us played 5 games each and the Gollum light only came on a grand total of twice across the 15 games. Before the upgrade, it came on way more than this and helped extend games. The game plays extremely hard now, in my honest opinion.

#5594 5 years ago

Almost correct. It doesn't "start over from scratch", but the inlanes light the lowest one that is not lit. So, if you light Mystery, Thorin, and Windlance, then collect Mystery, Mystery will be the next one lit and after that Gollum will light.
It has always been that way. The difference in 2.95/2.96/2.97 is that Thorin, Windlance, and Gollum will not light if they can't be collected at that instant. (For Windlance and Gollum, they can't be collected during any multiball.)
Anyway, I changed it back to the previous behavior, so you can rest easy now.
--Ted

Thanks so much for the explanation and changing it back to previous behavior. I miss my Gollum. Loved the way the meter blue target got smaller and smaller each attempt. Just haven't seen it much since the update. Looking forward to the next update.

1 week later
#5657 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

It will be 3.0 (or higher). Ted is still finalizing a few things and it will be a "full install".

So for us newbies, will the instructions for a "full install" be the same as when we're doing an upgrade (like from 2.00 to 2.96)? Or do we have to do something else prior (like uninstalling something)?

#5659 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

No uninstall.
First and most important, Back up your settings on a separate drive.
Test the backup by installing it.
Dont skip this, it might be important.
Boot the new iso image and install it.
Install your saved settings.
I have had saved settings fail to install, fortunately I make a couple sets just in case.

What are the step-by-step instructions to:

1) Back up settings
2) Boot the new Iso image - (I'm used to just grabbing a file to a USB off the JJ site and then letting the pinball machine install the upgrade)

Sorry, just want to make sure I don't screw anything up

#5665 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

2.00 to 2.96 is a delta update - different from a full install.
Please read the instructions on page E-12 in the manual. You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com
Follow pinballreno's advice and back up your settings.
LTG : )

Ok...got the instructions for a full install on page E-12 of the manual. Many thanks for that reference.

How about the instructions to backup and restore the settings? Is there an instruction page somewhere for that process?

#5666 5 years ago

Nevermind...just found it inside the machine setting menus. Thanks.

#5673 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

I actually got mine off of eBay and like them quite a bit. Just search for “Hobbit Pinball Targets” and they will come up first.
[quoted image]

$31 for a few stickers? Wow, I bet that's some good profit for that seller.

#5703 5 years ago

Do we have any clue as to when the 3.0 code drop might be?

#5713 5 years ago

I have a pinball function at my house tonight, and really wanted to get the 2.991 code but see that the link has expired. Has anyone posted this anywhere else to be able to download? Any help would be appreciated.

#5738 5 years ago

Question,

In preparation for installing the 3.00 full release, I backed up all of my settings using the menu options inside the machine onto a USB. After I install the 3.00 full release and restore my settings, will the high scores still be there (restored from the settings) or does that need to be done in a different way?

#5812 5 years ago

I'm just happy the Gollum Save light is coming on with the frequency it used to be prior to 2.96. Thanks Ted.

I did read on the other forum that Ted says he glitched the Smaug fireball over the playfield at the end of the game.

That's a beautiful scene that I hope would never go away.

Does this mean he will eventually put out another 3.01 patch at some point to fix that?

#5822 5 years ago

Ok...I've read others post this really bad problem with 3.0, so thought I would report it too. Playing along in Smaug Multi-ball.....the machine just stops dead, black screens and reboots to the green screen.

This is a terrible bug......

Ted, is this in the works to be fixed?

#5864 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Awesome. I find it surprising though that Into the Fire doesn't pay off that much (in terms of points).
Played a super long game yesterday and managed to miss triggering Into the Fire 3 times (yes, dammit, 3 times!), but started about 6 Smaug Multiballs (and did not kill Smaug). My end score was 1.3 million.
You'd think completing Into the Fire would eclipse my score. Know what I mean?

I'm finding that after the latest update, I can no longer get anywhere close to my original high scores (pre 2.96). All my original high scores range from 2.5M to 4.7M. I guess I need to play it even more now, just to make sure....but I'm having a hell of a time even breaking 1.5M after the upgrade. The game is much, much more enjoyable to play, but the scoring seems a lot harder now.

#5868 5 years ago

If you are completing book modes such as "The One Ring", "Thief in the Night", and "Resurgence of Sauron" to qualify Arkenstone wizard modes, then you will find that the points received are much lower than before. You need to complete more difficult book modes to boost the scoring in the Arkenstone modes.
Look in Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") to see the TIER value for the book modes. (You need a third tier mode completed to score the same as before in the Arkenstone wizard modes.)
--Ted

Ok, just so I understand this....

If I complete a tier 1 mode first for the book mode arkenstone, and then complete a tier 3 mode sometime before I get Into the Fire, will it be scored at the tier 1 level or the tier 3 level?

What about Barrel Escape - What if I complete a tier 1 only between ITF and BA, but still had completed a tier 3 back before Into the Fire.....Will the tier 3 carry over into Barrel Escape, or will it be only the tier 1 I used to qualify for the book mode Arkenstone for Barrel Escape?

1 month later
#6089 5 years ago

I've had my brand new LE for about 8 months. Probably have played about 500 games on it.

I'm noticing that every now and then (maybe every 1 in 100 shots) that the flippers seem a bit mushy and won't flip with full power, especially when trying to make a ramp to the same side of the flipper.

I'm not mechanical at all, but was wondering.....do the small springs inside need to be replaced regularly and if it's not that is it something more involved?

1 month later
#6419 5 years ago

Really dumb question, and I probably already know the answer but.........

I rushed when putting my name in on a #4 high score and the last letter was inadvertently entered incorrectly.

Any hacker ways of correcting this faux pas?

(crossing my fingers)....lol

5 months later
#7252 4 years ago

The 'F' drop target goes up, but once up it will not go down when the ball hits it, and the tests are showing it malfunctioning too. Any easy fixes for a non-technical guy like me?

#7260 4 years ago

Is there a trick at getting the far end of the spring put back where it belongs without dis-assembling the entire drop target bank? The hole to get back there seems way too small for my fingers.

4 months later
#7873 4 years ago

I haven't been on the board in quite a while, and was needed a reminder on how to do something. How do you upload a photo to the Hobbit machine? I did one a while ago, but it somehow got erased. Can someone give me information on how to do that?

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xpertdba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=xpertdba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.