IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizardscastle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9104 3 years ago

Joining the club later today!

Any issues) damage I should look out for?

Also, how many balls does the game take?

#9110 3 years ago

Got the game set up, and had a few little issues to sort out, but one I'm still dealing with is the ball needing several attempts to get into the shooter lane from the trough.

Any suggestions?

#9112 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

Is it making it into the lane and falling back in or just constantly trying to get into the lane but not making it? You could go into the Settings Menu and increase the strength of the Trough coil to start with. Also check the metal part of the trough at the exit to the shoot lane - might need adjusting so that it's a bit wider so the ball can get out easier. If it's popping into the lane but then dropping back in the trough then you can adjust the metal part so that it's a bit smaller and or decrease the coil strength in the Coil Settings menu.

It's not making it out of the trough. It looks to be hitting something and dropping back down. Does it 3-4 times and then finally gets out to the shooter lane.

#9116 3 years ago

Also, can someone tell me where the posts should be by default factory setting. Mine are here as shown in photos.

And, what rubbers were used on this game as stock? Did they go traditional rubber or silicone?

Thanks!

IMG_20200925_123922 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123922 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123928 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123928 (resized).jpg
#9120 3 years ago

Silicone like Dialed In had, not standard rubber correct?

And is the consensus that stock setting was posts in the middle?

And last thing, what's the best rules guide to refer to? There's way too much going on with this game.

#9124 3 years ago

Just so I have it right...

Factory settings had outlanes in the middle, and the rubbers on the game are silicone, like Titans?

Also, what was on the flippers from the factory?

#9127 3 years ago

Can someone take a photo of the left and right outlane posts on a machine that only you've owned and has not been changed from factory setting.

Thanks!

#9131 3 years ago
Quoted from mac2444:

The standard for most machines, including Hobbit, is the middle. spot. This doesn't matter though, put them wherever you like. That's why there are multiple positions. taylor the game till it plays the way you want it to.

I prefer playing at factory default. If I clear the game, I like to know I'm playing it the way it came.

Personal preference.

Thanks!

#9142 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

From the factory:
Outlane holes in the center position.
The rubber is white STC rubber, it plays the best IMHO.
Oddly the center post uses a silicone ring on it from the factory.
I have complete rubber kits from JJP for TH and WOZ, both are STC rubber. They exactly match the original game as I bought them at the same time as the games.
I find that perfect play green opaque flipper rubbers play the best on this game.
I have tried them all.
Clean the rubber with either wildcat rubber cleaner (RC88)or ronson bottled lighter fluid (VM&P naptha) on a q-tip.
It will last longer.
Clean glass with sparkle glass cleaner, the playfield can be wiped down with wizards mist n shine between waxings with biltz 1000 or P21S silver.
Mist n shine is also a great plastic cleaner. Its a little better than novus 1 as it has a little more wax in it.

What is STC?

The manual shows silicone for all rubbers.

What were on the flippers from the factory?

#9146 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Mine has STC rubber. But its an early build.
I got my game before there was a manual.
My WOZ also has rubber but in black except for the sling under the munchkin playfield, its a 2" white rubber. The center post is a white silicone ring. Again an early build.
STC= Suzo Trading Company
A big supplier of pinball rubber, maybe the biggest.
Silicone is a great choice.
Titan is an awesome rubber company.

I'm confused... You guys are saying standard white rubber, but manual shows silicone. I have a Smaug edition.

#9153 3 years ago

Lifted the pf tonight for the first time, and wow, it was like lifting a car!

I'm impressed by how much JJP tried to put in this game. Also hugely impressed by their video and audio. Makes Stern look amateur.

One other thing, I noticed after a few games, it was getting harder to hit those ramps. Does this game suffer from flipper fatigue/fade?

#9160 3 years ago

Put up my best score of 4.3 million tonight, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to beat Smaug. I started 6 or 7 multiballs, and just couldn't figure it out.

Also, what are the main requirements for TABA?

#9163 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Smaug MB has several levels to it, each with it's own Super Jackpot. When you hear the game telling you to shoot the MAN targets, you know you are getting close. Then you will hear the game say, Load the Wind Lance. At that point, you need to shoot right ramp, wait for the ball to settle on the left side kickback, press the ring button to fire the ball, the ball will feed to the upper flipper, one of the 3 DWARF targets with a yellow target behind it will drop, make the shot from the upper flipper to hit that one special yellow target, enjoy the most amazing moment in pinball as the flippers go dead and Smaug kicks the bucket.
For TABA you need at least 10% completion in every mode in the game. Good luck with that... LOL

I heard that call out about the Wind Lance, but had no idea what to do. There is just too much flashing all at once making it very difficult to understand what you need to do, so thanks for explaining.

Funny, the first game I played when I set it up, I beat Smaug. Now that I'm intentionally trying to beat him, I can't!

Also, is progress saved for Smaug everytime you start the multiball?

And is there anything special that happens if you complete the 3 main wizard modes like Into The Fire?

Seems ridiculously difficult to complete all of them.

And TABA only requires the modes to be completed at 10%? No other requirements like Smaug, etc?

And what if you get less than 10% on certain modes, can you go back and pick those modes to play again?

Thanks!

#9165 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yes

Unfortunatly, nothing. You just start over with Into the Fire. I think completing Battle of Five Armies should be an alternative route to getting to TABA. That would be a great update.

That's it. Just play the modes.

I don't think it is possible to get less than 10% on a mode. I have gotten to TABA by timing out modes (boring I know, but I wanted to see it).

So there is only one wizard modes (not counting the mini wizards like Into the Fire)?

I was going hard at the mini wizards and Smaug thinking that should lead to something, but if it's just modes, feels a lot like some of the older B/W games like Indy and TZ where you'd just start and time out.

What about hitting loops and progressing the map. What does that do?

Thanks again for the help!

#9167 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Timing out modes in this game does borderline nothing. You get to sit through, what is it... 31 modes to see TABA and then score no points in that mode since you scored none to get there? Completing high challenge modes (based on their star ratings) is how you crush the game in the mini wizard modes. Not completing any mode at all will never take you to the three mini wizards.

How the hell did you score so many points when you dont know any of the rules? Lol
The loops advance you to Erebor (sp). This is one of the five goals to finish the screen and take you to a mini wiz. Also that gives you a spinner mode that let's you rack up a ton of spins to cash out a spinner jackpot on the captive ball. Finally, hitting loops when the insets are green give you add a balls to modes when you start them. This makes them easier (and sometimes harder), depending on the mode you do. If one of the modes is asking you to NOT shoot the drop targets as you raise them.... well then having many balls in that mode is a death sentence.

I think most of my score came from the mini wizards. I played all of them, and Into the Fire a second time.

Also played Smaug MB like 7 times!

Game is definitely a lot of fun. Just need to learn the rules a bit here.

Anyone know if the Smaug edition came with rubber or silicone, and what was on the flippers?

Spoke to someone at JJP and they said everything was standard rubber on these from the factory, but their manual shows to replace with silicone.

Just curious to know what they were originally putting on these at the factory.

Cheers

#9173 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Yup, mine is at 7.2. I just suck!

I put it up at about 7 when I first got it, and then tried it at 6.5.

I personally like to keep all my games at 6.5 because I think it's closer to what the designer had in mind for the game. It's of course personal preference, but that's just where I am with it.

I know a lot of people say that this game is notoriously long, but I have had a LOT of really short games. I find that ball changes directions after hitting the flaps of the monsters, making it hard to predict.

I think I do better with faster games like TWD and IMDN, but I quite enjoying this unique layout and slower style.

#9176 3 years ago

Go to the point in Smaug MB where you the lance, but I can't seem to finish it.

Is it just one shot to the flashing red target to end it?

#9183 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Go to the point in Smaug MB where you the lance, but I can't seem to finish it.
Is it just one shot to the flashing red target to end it?

Anyone?

#9187 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

It is my experience that the time to hit the shot expires many times before I get a shot off.
I have heard that a good strategy is to have a ball cradled in your right flipper before launching the wind-lance.
I can't seem to pull this off either.

I finished it once on the second game I played on this machine and didn't even know what was going on.

Now that I'm aware of what needs to be done, it seems impossible haha.

#9188 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Assuming that is correct (that you have to get at least 10%), I don't think it is possible to get less than 10% on a mode. I have gotten to TABA by timing out modes (boring I know, but I wanted to see it).

I think some of the modes start at less than 10%. Pretty sure when I played last night, one started at 5% and another at 4%.

One of them required the right orbit shot first, and I just couldn't hit it.

I guess if you need 10% on all, I would have lost my chance at TABA.

#9190 3 years ago

I'm really digging the code thus far, but kind of feel like something was missed by not having everything come together in the end for a Valinor like epic wizard mode. Not that I don't like the code, but having an end goal of getting all three wizard modes, killing Smaug, and maybe getting some Arkenstones or modes could have been cool.

I do like though that currently you can pick a few paths. Some games I go for Smaug, some games I go for the mini-wizards, and I'm going to start getting into the modes to see how that works out.

Cool game though!

#9201 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

pinballinreno 7.1 degrees WHERE? My playfield seems to be bowed by about a degree from the ramps to the flippers... I currently have it set at 7.5-ish at the ramps and 6.5-ish at the flippers. Shoots good enough for my skill level I think?
Anyone else have this kind of inclination difference from the top to the bottom of the playfield?

Almost every game is like that, which is why I always ask specifically where people are measuring.

Also take into consideration that inserts, even slightly raised will throw off the level.

I use the same torpedo level that you have, and also a small one that fits just about anywhere on the pf.

But I find the change in slope from top to bottom more drastic on Hobbit than other pins I've levelled.

Not exactly sure why.

#9210 3 years ago

What are used for the post sleeves in this game? Are they just standard post rubbers, or thinner?

#9235 3 years ago

Does this game use standard post sleeves, or the thinner Stern style?

#9243 3 years ago

Beat Smaug last night which is pretty epic, and then got to the three mini wizards. I had one ball left, so thought maybe I could try for TABA. I decided to cheese it, and time out all the modes. Got 21 of the down, but then the mode ramp would not like light.

I read in the rules that modes first need to be qualified? How do you qualify all the modes?

#9245 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

By playing the game, shooting all the drop and standing targets, holes, ramps, etc...

Is there a way to qualify all modes earlier on? Or how can you tell what needs to be hot to qualify?

Like in LOTR, I know to hit the white shots to start the mode.

#9256 3 years ago

Beat Smaug again tonight, and what an awesome sequence. Seems to easiest way for me to do it is trap a ball on both flippers, hit the right ramp with the left flipper to load the Wind Lance, and then hope you can hit that target from the right flipper.

2 weeks later
#9332 3 years ago

Played tonight with headphones plugged in for the first time, and wow!!!

It really immerses you in the game when you're plugged in with noise cancellation.

Definitely appreciate the sound package even more after trying this!

3 weeks later
#9366 3 years ago

Noticed a couple of my spotlights were flickering, so change the bulbs and within a few minutes they started overheating and smoking.

Any idea what's gone wrong here?

Wrong bulbs?

#9368 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you use 12 volt ones ?
LTG : )

I'll have to check that. Thanks Llyod!

3 months later
#9859 3 years ago

Can someone help me understand how you get extra balls in this game?

I swear, one game I'll play, and I'll quickly get 3 EBs, and then for many games following, I can't pick up a single one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizardscastle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=wizardscastle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.