IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vernisious.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9492 3 years ago

Is there a setting to turn off beasts on hobbit pinball? My beasts are not popping up. All 4 of them. The light still shows up as if the shot is there

1 week later
#9506 3 years ago

I must have had one of the oldest codes of any current Hobbit owner (0.81). After a couple plays and then several tries to update, I am running 3.10. What a difference! Great job on this pin, it will be my favorite when I get it 100%
I'm having a few issues I couldn't find solutions for:
1. The Smaug magnet for ball locks gets stuck. A solid smack on the side releases it. The magnet is recessed just a bit. Is it supposed to be flush? (see pic)

2. The lights on the A-R-F are switched with the lights for barrel bumpers, bag end, and mystery shot respectively. The actual shots are correct. For ex/ if I hit the mystery when F (Bombur) is lit it gives me the mystery. In Smaug multi when super jackpot is lit (it lights at mystery, bag end and pop bumpers) if I hit A-R-F then it rewards the super. Under the playfield, the light chips/boards all say J100. I can't see the ones under the targets. Really not sure how to remedy this. It looks like the D of dwarf is possibly wrong as well.

20201220_113029 (resized).jpg20201220_113029 (resized).jpg20201220_113049 (resized).jpg20201220_113049 (resized).jpg20201220_113318 (resized).jpg20201220_113318 (resized).jpg
#9508 3 years ago

Thanks, I'll see if I can raise it somehow.

#9510 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Loosen nut. Screw magnet pole higher. Tighten nut.
LTG : )

Is this screw supposed to be under the magnet? I felt underneath and I could feel a hole. I'll refer to the manual when I get a chance. Appreciate the help!

#9511 3 years ago

According to C48 of the manual. There is only the two nuts to the right of the magnet by smaug.
I can't see how those can raise it. I'll take those off and get a closer look.

#9513 3 years ago

Oh, I see. I'm referring to the single magnet above the playfield on the ramp that locks for Smaug multiball. I loosened the two nuts for the assembly and was able to force it to sit flush with the ramp. Thanks LTG and punkin!

I still am unsure how the change the lights from mystery to bombur and two others. Can I unplug the wires going to each rgb led board or do I need to unscrew the board and put them in the correct place?

Quoted from LTG:

Page C-8 in the manual. Two magnets, each has a big nut. Magnet pole is threaded to go up and down.
LTG : )

#9515 3 years ago

@trumpanche. That did it! It was tough to tell which board was A. I messed up the arkenstone lights on board C and then guessed correctly the second time. Thank you all so much. I love this game and the community!

#9520 3 years ago

I had a lot of trouble updating. I couldn't get ubootin to work. I tried https://rufus.ie/ and followed these instructions http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/install-full/

I made sure my memory stick was formatted FAT32 and had nothing else on it. I powered machine off. Plugged in USB and powered on. The update started automatically. If you haven't, I would give that process a try. The new code is amazing depending what code you are running.

2 months later
#9861 3 years ago

15 or 20 captive ball (Thorin) will light an extra ball. I think if you collect all dwarves in feast frenzy will light extra ball. Maybe 5 or so barrel knock overs will light it. These are adjustable in the settings. I'm not 100% sure about these. I have similar games where extra balls are everywhere.

4 weeks later
#10048 3 years ago

Ok, I have the elite topper, bag end gate, arkenstone start button with pulse, arkenstone in Smaug's gold, clear shooter ring (and red shooter ring for LOTR), barrel legs, and book frame. I don't have bag end mod because of previous owner glued figures there (I might remove them and add the bag end sculpt. Can you guys stop making amazing mods? I think we are good now right? Just kidding, this community is awesome. I think this pin is undervalued even at $8k.

1 week later
#10147 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Trying to update from 3.00 to 3.10, full upgrade. I own 4 other JJP pins and I know the process well so figured this would be quick and simple using the same USB drive, etc. Anyway, used my first stick to backup the settings and it worked fine. Burned the ISO image onto 2 different USB sticks (so far, working on the third), and it just boots normally, not to the USB which would do the upgrade. Any thoughts, so far I’ve used a 32GB card and a 64GB stick (both failed to boot, but worked for backup), waiting in a 16GB card to burn and will try it next.

Are you using unetbootin? You might want to try Rufus. I was only able to get it updated with Rufus using JJP install instructions. There are posts in this thread talking about changing a setting to boot from stick. Maybe that's your issue.

1 week later
#10159 3 years ago

I agree. I've messed around with Smaug's mouth but I've come to the realization and accepted that my Smaug's jaw looks and moves like Beavis and Butthead.

1 week later
#10206 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

Quick question. Given a choice, which model do you think is the best to buy? Thanks

I like black arrow, I own a gold Smaug edition. It's up to you on art and what is available. Playfields are the same. Some argue the black arrow being late production has improved beast mech designs. I can't confirm that. I'd take anyone, it's all about the game play

1 month later
#10384 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

That's really weird, looks like I am missing something but what?

Sometimes I think I am qualifying the roaming blue but it doesn't do it. I am on 3.10 but maybe, like myself, are not 100% in understanding when it is qualified. I know you need to qualify all of the modes by hitting the shots you said but there must be other stipulations.

3 months later
#10648 2 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Thought I'd share my Hobbit since I have several mods I haven't seen anyone else do yet.
Giant One Ring, Sting, Orcrist, burglar contract, gold coins, custom Giant Eagle, custom Bag End, Erebor ring & map etc... (I listed it all in the video description if you're interested)
EDIT: Sorry guys, thought I made the pics small, but they come through huge no matter what I try.

[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are any of these mods available?

1 month later
#10884 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I’m the same preferring hobbit films to lotr. I really do like this game but I feel the ruleset is difficult to grasp, I wish someone would post like a 15 minute tutorial.

By no means 15 minutes but IE Pinball has a couple videos exploring modes that build on each other. When I was trying to learn more rules I enjoyed the Buffalo Pinball with JJP video where they have small challenges (

). If you have any questions, I understand most of the rules at this point or someone else here can answer. Do you know how to qualify 'Into the Fire'? That would be the first step I think. Collect all beast hurry ups, start Smaug MB, rip the spinner to get to Erebor, beat a mode, and collect all dwarves. Each mode has a difficultly marked by stars, the more stars the harder the mode and the more points you'll earn during 'Into the Fire'. Rinse, repeat for 'Barrel Escape' and 'Battle of Five Armies'.

#10887 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I’ll have to check it out!
I’ve been to into the fire, and barrel escape but no idea how I got there. 3 locks in smaug starts multiball. I understand there are dwarf targets to hit but don’t know what it means to collect all dwarves. Then the spinners and “advance to erebor” I see happening but don’t see what that means either. Lol

I am so jealous of where you are in discovering this pin. I'll do my best to clarify a few things. (see image of the display screen below). I might get some details slightly off.

There are 5 areas on the display that need to be 'qualified' in order to start the first wizard mode; Into the Fire. You'll do the same thing for the second and third wizard modes. The 4 corners and top center are the 5 areas. I have circled them in different colors. When you 'qualify' an area you will see a triangular shaped stone appear in the pink circle. Look closely at the top middle area circled in green and then a smaller pink circle. The stone is there signifying that area is qualified. None of the other 4 areas pink circle have the triangle stone so they're not qualified.
Now, what are the 5 areas and how do you qualify them? You already know the upper left. The upper left area circled in yellow is for Smaug multiball. Locking 3 balls will start Smaug multiball and is what is required to qualify that area. You now have the stone for the yellow area.
The bottom left area circled in red represents the beasts that pop up. As you roll over in lane switches that are lit, the corresponding beast will pop up and you have a limited amount of time to hit that beast. If you hit all 4 beasts, you will earn your triangle stone (qualifying the lower left red area) and start beast multiball.
The bottom right area circled in blue represents the dwarves. There are shots around the playfield that will collect each dwarf. When you collect a dwarf their picture will be in color on the display screen. You'll want to collect them all to earn your stone for that area. Hint: the purple shots are dwarves you haven't collected yet.
The upper right area in orange represents the distance you must travel to get to Erebor. Either orbit spinner will progress you to Erebor. Once there you will have your needed stone.
The top middle area in green are your modes. There are 31 modes of varying difficulty. You start a mode by hitting the Bilbo right ramp when lit red. You can scroll through the modes available while the ball returns from a left ramp shot. Let me say that again.. If you want to change the mode you are about to start, you can hit the Gandalf left ramp. While the ball is traveling back to your right flipper, you can toggle through modes using your flipper buttons. There is much to learn with modes but if you beat a mode, you'll earn your qualification.
That's all 5 areas qualified. Now hit one of the holes (Balin or Radaghast) to start your first wizard mode.
I'm sure I messed something up but hopefully that helps. There is many more things other than this to discover so I don't think this is a spoiler.

SmartSelect_20211016-213514_Gallery (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20211016-213514_Gallery (resized).jpg

1 month later
#10996 2 years ago

I'm curious about the LCD screen mod at the apron. To those who have installed the small screen near the flippers that split off from the book video, do you find it to be a worthwhile mod? I'm assuming it makes it easier to see your next shot in modes you aren't familiar with but is it distracting? Does it take away from the immersion?

#10998 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Foe me its easier to look at the screen on the playfield than a screen on the apron.

Is this from experience on The Hobbit or playing on other games with the apron screen? I also wonder about mode selection. Since you have to press the action button, maybe a screen there would be nice to select a mode.

#11000 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

experience.
Modes are not selected from the action button, but my making the right ramp.
However you can change the pending mode on the screen via the flipper buttons while the ball is on the wireform.
The playfield screen has valuable information on it during game play. Its in an easy to read place.

Oh, brain fart. You are right, you don't press the action button to shuffle modes (it's the flippers). Yeah, I don't mind looking at the book for my next shot if I need the info. The game does a pretty good job of lighting the shot needed for modes.

I just wonder if the apron screen is a nice upgrade. If anyone finds it useful and likes the addition. I've only had less than 5 plays on the JJP Pirates that had one and I don't recall ever looking at it.

#11008 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

If you start a mode and don't finish it, is the progress saved so you can go back and start where you left off?

I don't think you can start a mode a second time. Maybe if you get through all 31 modes and after 'there and back again' you might be able to do a mode again.

1 week later
#11032 2 years ago

Has anyone received the beast mold mods from lermods? I'm wondering how they turned out. I haven't seen any talk or pictures so I assume they're still in production phase.

1 month later
#11144 2 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

Just got my beast brackets from Plugerboy! Super fast - Thanks! I haven’t changed out anything on my beasts before - anyone have pointers on the best / easiest way to remove the mech so I can install these? Is there a way to just remove the beast portion without removing the entire mech? Or anything I need to watch out for while removing them as there are lots of wires all over? Thanks!

Honestly, you should email JJP support. Let them know that typically Lloyd would answer these questions but since they let him go I guess it's their job... Other option, search this forum. LTG used to answer beast question every other month or so for the past few years.

2 months later
#11253 2 years ago
Quoted from VeggiePin:

Any thoughts on Side Blades for Hobbit? I have the Black Arrow edition and am taking the playfield out. This is the time to install some side blades. I am thinking about mirrored blades? I saw some cool ones that look like a map heading to Erabor too. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has installed blades and what you think of them. Thanks!

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/spareparts/mirror-blades-for-jersey-jack-pinball-the-hobbit-spiegelblech.html
These are sweet. Mirrored with Hobbit cut. Let me know if you want to see a Pic.

#11255 2 years ago
20220407_225048 (resized).jpg20220407_225048 (resized).jpg20220407_225216 (resized).jpg20220407_225216 (resized).jpg20220407_225228 (resized).jpg20220407_225228 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#11289 1 year ago

Rules question: I was close to starting battle of five armies. I only needed to start beast MB. I needed one orc hurry up. I was shooting the right ramp so that the ball would roll over the inlane to light the orc. Only problem is it never lit the orc. I couldn't get the orc to pop up. It would light white when I rolled over and then turn off. Goblin was lit green and ready and one of the right side beasts was lit green and ready. I'm curious if anyone knows how you'd go about getting a certain beast to pop up if you only need that to progress? Thanks

#11301 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I have 5 games running scorbit. It is fun and easy. You can easily create a display for your gameroom tv that tracks what is going on and high scores via scorbit as well. If you have JJP games it is a no brainer.

How do you hook up a TV?

3 weeks later
#11335 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I make all the jjp wiring kits the same

I accidentally bought two Hobbit fan kits. Would I be able to use one in Wonka or Dialed In?

2 months later
#11508 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Hey guys,
What pitch should Hobbit be setup at?
Also does the Smaug lock magnet supposed to catch the ball every time before it drops?
A lot of times it grabs but sometimes it does not grab the ball on my machine.
Thanks,
Ted

There are two screws to the right of the Smaug magnet. Loosen and adjust the magnet up a bit so it sits flush.

7 months later
#11880 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Unfortunately it’s out of stock with no chance to return. Is that the only one out there?

PM me, I think I have an extra book cover. I don't think I have the post going up but I do have a frame.

2 weeks later
#11914 11 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm thinking of doing mirror blades on the Hobbit. Anyone with any experience with them on this machine? Just concerned about clearance and who to buy them from. I always use the plastic protectors when raising my playfield. Right now I just don't see any art blades that I love for the Hobbit.
I just put the sillyoldelf art blades on my LOTR and they are amazing but there isn't anything that impresses me that much for the Hobbit. I'm having issues with the sillyoldelf art blades bubbling up a bit, the adhesive isn't very strong on them.
I have regular mirror blades on my Stern Star Trek and they look really good on that machine. I do see gold mirrored blades for the Hobbit. Thanks for any input.

I like these mirror blades with 'Hobbit' lettering cut out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/226#post-6871530

#11917 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Anyone have any advice?

I wonder if your little black plastic ledge is broke? It holds up the drop target. If you manually lift the target, does it stay up? Mine broke off so I turned off the coil for that particular letter. But you would notice the coil firing several times.

#11926 11 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where are the gold coins/circle discs from shown in your photo?

They were in the game when I got it

1 month later
#12168 9 months ago
Quoted from Disruptor71:

I am wonder if somebody else have a loud scratching noise before the upper left drop targets resets and pop up?
Is that normal?

If it sounds like Smaug himself is under the playfield lighting off firecrackers, then it's probably normal.

5 months later
#12669 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Just curious what the main selling point is from the people who like it. For the longest time I wrote of Wonka, but one day I played it for like 2 hours and got into it and really like it. The Hobbit may never click for me, but I was curious the reasons people love it, to think about when I try it again.

Do you know how to start the first wizard mode; Into the Fire? If not, I'd say that learning the rules is your first step to enjoying this pin.

1 month later
#12728 77 days ago

ok I let my battery die.. what do I need to do? Replace battery and .... full install?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vernisious.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=vernisious and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.