IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ulmpharmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1712 7 years ago

Gary at Abel electronics would be my pic for JJp distributor ...crazy good service after sale

9 months later
#3395 6 years ago

I'm looking at selling a mint Smaug edition with rascals if anyone is interested...I'll put it in the market later but anyone can pm me if looking for one

#3404 6 years ago

Just posted a mint Smaug hobbit for sale in the market...has radcals and a little over 100 plays. Got another one in a large package deal and am letting this one go. Price is negotiable

#3419 6 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I still have a recurring problem with my Goblin Pop-up. I've previously posted it on this thread (p. 55), but the problem persists. After several hits, the Goblin head stops popping up. The LED lights up, but the steel flap only moves upward above the PF surface about 1/16". I then stop game play & manually pop him up & twist head slightly. It then pops up for only a few additional hits & then quits working.
With the PF raised on skids and manual movement, there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement of the mechanism. It moves freely without hitting the PF wood edge. The Goblin head does not hit the plastic insert. I even removed the insert to make sure.
With the PF down & in the test mode, the Goblin steel flap only moves upwards 1/16"' to 1/8" above the PF surface, even after twisting the head ever so slightly. The other Pop-ups (Orc, Warg & Spider) work fine. In their test modes, the the steel flaps move about 1/2" above the PF & their mechanisms make a loader noise.
With the PF raised against the back box & in the test mode, the Goblin mechanism slides up to the steel flap & stops. With the other pop-ups, their mechanisms slide up to & hit the steel flaps and, as stated previously, make a loader noise. It's as if the Goblin coil is not strong enough/defective.
Any thoughts? I really think it might be a defective coil/sleeve. I really don't know why the slight head twist allows the mechanism to work a couple of times, since there is absolutely no obstruction or impingement to movement.
I emailed Victor 3+ wks. ago and he has yet to respond.
If it is the coil, how do you switch it out for a new one? I ordered a coil from the Hobbit Parts Store for $35 plus $28 two-day shipping. To switch coils, I assume you have to remove the two flap compression springs, lift off the steel flap, unplug the respective Molex connectors, & unscrew the 4 anchoring screws of the mechanism & pull entire mechanism out.
Thanks for any replies.

check the wiring...I had the same problem and messed with the plug and it started working..

3 years later
#9688 3 years ago

Made this with some help awhile back, but just wondering how the demand would be if I tried to recreate something similar..it’s made out of real post oak and still maintains the original apron underneath..wouldn’t be cheap but is amazing looking in person

6D2FD95B-CEA0-4C77-A222-7095DB5F488D (resized).jpeg6D2FD95B-CEA0-4C77-A222-7095DB5F488D (resized).jpeg926736A2-52EC-4E5F-8B52-4BE26013B1E6 (resized).jpeg926736A2-52EC-4E5F-8B52-4BE26013B1E6 (resized).jpegF00E398F-3304-4B73-AE15-1FE62FF13F44 (resized).jpegF00E398F-3304-4B73-AE15-1FE62FF13F44 (resized).jpeg
#9696 3 years ago

Cool...I'll dig into it and keep you guys posted on it asap. Thanks for the nice comments

2 years later
#11842 1 year ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Hey everyone...we just release our first mod of an event we are calling The 7 Days of Texas leading up to the Texas Pinball Festival. I am posting here because it is a mod for your favorite game...The Hobbit. See it here :
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/the-hobbit-pinball-mods/products/the-hobbit-replacement-apron-with-lcd-mod

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11846 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I know that it's just the lighting, but I like this darker more golden tone. Matt said that he could make it darker like that for me. If you want it a little darker, let him know when you order.
[quoted image]

I did the photos for Matt and really tried to capture the tones of the stain...in real life the color is actually closer to the picture that you like The flash seems to lighten the tones up a bit so I tried to let the shadowing convey the tones more accurately in photots...

Thanks so much for the thoughts! In person this apron is such a beautiful addition to this title...it just adds that old world feel..

3 months later
#12199 9 months ago

Adventure Awaits!

We wanted to reach out to everyone let you know that we have completed the art package modifications to our apron mod for the Hobbit pinball machine and it is ready for release. We have also decided to re-release this mod at a new lower price point, as we feel that every copy of this title deserves to have this mod on it! The new sale price has been lowered from the original 619.99 to 499.99 which we think is an outstanding value for a mod such as this. We currently have a portion of these apron mods boxed and ready to ship right now, so don't hesitate to place your order today! We have not yet added this mod to the BAC website, so please send Matt and email at [email protected] and he can send you an invoice. Shipping looks to be between 25-35.00 depending on your location and will be added to the invoice, so please provide your shipping address in your email. Below are pictures of the new design as well as a QR code that you can scan with your phone camera to take you to a video of the box contents and install instructions. Again, thank you so much for supporting Back Alley Creations and stay tuned for even more great mod releases in the future for your favorite pinball machines!

Sincerely,

Back Alley Creations
IMG_1007 (resized).jpgIMG_1007 (resized).jpgimage0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpeghobbitapronqrcode (resized).pnghobbitapronqrcode (resized).png

#12200 9 months ago

Also, if you have any questions feel free to pm me or email Matt at Back Alley Creations...thanks so much!

#12202 9 months ago

I did…I work with Matt on a lot of his projects.

#12204 9 months ago

Thanks Eric...I think yours is one of the ones that I labeled yesterday and ships out today!

#12285 9 months ago
Quoted from Silvabullet:

Just installed the Hobbit apron mod from Back Alley Creations. It’s simply a gorgeous mod, a must have for anyone who owns a Hobbit and plans to keep it. Not only does it look great but it even adds to the game play. I can finally see the information displayed on the small playfield screen. The screen imbedded in the apron is not only larger but way clearer and easier to read than the factory playfield.
As for the installation it was a breeze. It was super easy to install, took less than half an hour. Only problem was that I had already installed another mod to the free 12v plug. I sent an email Friday night for a little tech support and wasn’t expecting a response until the following week. Instead I received a call the very next day. All I wanted and expected was some technical info on what splitter to use. To my surprise they offered to create a splitter to solve the issue.
[quoted image]

Thank you so much for the compliments...Matt and I really worked hard to deliver a great value to everyone! Anyone feel free to reach out with any questions to myself or Matt and we will do our best to help you out

#12311 9 months ago

Outstanding looking on your gave bud!! Thank you for the kind words…Matt and I worked hard on this one

1 week later
#12322 9 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

How do you change the display settings?

If you flip the apron over, there is a menu button board that allows you to tweak the display settings. Let me know if you need assistance.

#12324 9 months ago
Quoted from metahugh:

You can access the controls from within the coin door:
[quoted image]
I may have three and four backwards

Great find! Thx for sharing that.

1 month later
#12468 7 months ago

Hey everyone....just wanted to let all know that the Hobbit Apron mod that many of you have been asking about is now available to ship via Cointaker.com. She has a small amount available for immediate shipping now. A few people that had pre ordered the original design have received them and we have had stellar remarks about the craftsmanship and quality of the product and how much it adds to the game play overall. Feel free to reach out to me via pm or directly to Cointaker to order today as they are going to be a very limited product that will only be available from Melissa at CT. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that she now has them available for immediate shipping

#12469 7 months ago
70789199047__1878448B-2B23-4EF7-B08F-5AD06153B972 (resized).jpeg70789199047__1878448B-2B23-4EF7-B08F-5AD06153B972 (resized).jpeg70897278542__2B9A6EC7-9E31-44C2-AC75-A99EC89EF8C0 (resized).jpeg70897278542__2B9A6EC7-9E31-44C2-AC75-A99EC89EF8C0 (resized).jpegIMG_1003 (resized).jpegIMG_1003 (resized).jpegIMG_1005 (resized).jpegIMG_1005 (resized).jpegIMG_1006 (resized).jpegIMG_1006 (resized).jpegIMG_1007 (resized).jpegIMG_1007 (resized).jpeg
#12471 7 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The Hobbit Apron Mod was pretty easy to install. Only thing that I tweaked was the brightness and contrast on the screen a little to match the playfield LCD a little closer. (Personal preference) I like it. Makes it easier to see what shots are needed for the book modes, and way easier during the Arkenstone modes.

Thank so much for your review

#12474 7 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

It’s such a beautiful mod and worth picking up if you plan on keeping your game forever like I do. Matt and Aaron were very communicative and made the decision to purchase one easy.
+1 that the picture out of the box isn’t great. Definitely lower the brightness to match the book LCD better.

Thanks so much for such kind words. It is really a beautiful piece that really enhances the overall look and feel of the game.

#12477 7 months ago

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience with the Rudy deal, but we have worked side by side with Melissa for years and hold CT to with the highest regards. Again, I hate you had a bad experience and I don’t know any of the details involved in that situation, but I haven’t personally ever had anything other than great experiences working with Melissa and Chris. They are truly good people that do so much more than most know behind the scenes to help bring a lot of new products to the market that would otherwise likely not be made available to us. Thanks so much for your support on this product as we really worked hard on it to bring something unique to the community.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ulmpharmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=ulmpharmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.