IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5255 5 years ago

Just wondering if it's possible to either install an external sound or video card on these Mainboards? I understand that onboard video and audio are used. Has anyone ever installed either video or audio cards with success and simply disabled the onboard stuff? I'm not currently having any problems, but a friend has some audio problems on his DI that got me thinking. Why would this not work?

#5257 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't do this just to do it...Especially if everything is working. My friend was told his DI had an amp or other part fail on his on board audio which caused him to lose ALL audio. During troubleshooting I was thinking why not just try an external card? I wasn't aware of the Linux configs for only on board audio/video. I wonder how difficult it would be to have drivers and configs developed for external cards? Especially when one considers that at some point they may be needed. Both my JJP machines have been rock solid since I purchased them. Although in the back of my mind I'm thinking long term...What will be the state of these tables in 20 years due to them having a computer in them?

On that note I have several 20 year old mb sitting around that still work...Cannot buy memory or parts for them is the bigger problem.

Food for thought I guess... I may not even have the tables long enough to worry about it, although I can't be the only one that thinks about this?

#5260 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

No no. Linux and manufacturers already have drivers for sound cards that are not on-board.
What I am saying is that the JJP Linux build probably doesn't include them in their deployment, therefore rendering your add-on card useless.
Know what I mean?

I do get it (Light on) Just wishing it wasn't that way at this point.

#5261 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If I can jump in here, I absolutely recommend you do NOT try to replace the video card. If the drivers are not included (best bet is NVidia, as AMD’s Linux drivers break all the time), then you will lose them as soon as you update. I tried this with WOZ and in adding an apron-mounted screen. The game I had required a driver update to support the proper resolution on both screens - It sorta worked but was such an unbelievable PITA I ended up ripping it out. It was cool when it worked but update and -bam - gone.

Kind of what I thought it would be like. One can only hope for zero mainboard failures. Did I just jinx myself?

2 months later
#5777 5 years ago

Losing Video on both screens on Hobbit. Reboot tends to bring it back but it has happened multiple times at this point. I've checked and reseated all connections. LTG could you get me pointed down the correct path? Starting to think it may be a video card issue, but not sure how to verify as I can't just swap another video card in to test.

#5779 5 years ago

Not sure...Anything I can do beyond checking/reseating? Also, I just did the code update to 3.0, however this was happening at 2.96 as well.

#5780 5 years ago

Hey Loyd...If I submit a support form via the JJP website could you make sure I get a call back? Haven't had much luck with this route in the past.

#5787 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I would call as I received exceptional support form JJP in the past when I called! I had a similar issue and one thing that helped was resetting the motherboard by taking a Flathead screwdriver and touching the correct pins. I am heading to a work event however when I get back I can send you pictures of how to do this if you need it.

That would be helpful...Thanks.

I did call and leave a message with someone. Hopefully they call me back at some point.

#5798 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Trying to locate the picture as I believe Frank Becker (who fucking rocks!!!) texted it to me as I had a out of the box issue with no video and they worked with me for a good amount of time until it was resolved. I will keep looking however I would contact him and ask for the picts for resetting the CPU. It helped me, however in the end we ended up replacing the Mother board, Power supply and monitor. Been working like a champ and with 3.0 installed tonight I love this game and am a fan of JJP as a company.

I remember the thread and followed it closely. Glad they resolved it for you. Mine has been rock solid since I owned it. Just now starting to slightly annoy me
I appreciate the heads up. I will try and contact him and ask for the instructions.

#5799 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have the same question. Also the trough VUK takes 3 or 4 tries to eject the ball so that it can be put into play.

I think it has a different ending light show at this point. I did enjoy the other one fwiw

1 month later
#6043 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Any word on the 3.1 update?
It would be very nice to resolve the smaug multiball resets before Xmas

Wondering about this as well? Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 year later
#8349 4 years ago

It’s not a big deal. I only nicked my fingers three times while changing the battery lol. It makes you jump but doesn’t really hurt.

3 weeks later
#8471 4 years ago
Quoted from Tiltboss:

right right cuz u always preface something with its real tricky not buyin.. but its cool. like i said im used to forum sop. and it didnt “offend me” it made me laugh so i talked shit back ‍♂️
now here is the hard part see the support word lol. bro i can get crass and sarcastic woth the best of em so please miss me with the “i was concerned with ur ESL status” lmaooooo that just makes u look even more fulla shit

Really? Are you high? Your post makes almost no sense??? Punctuation and CAPITAL letters are your friends. Lol

#8473 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think he may be a troll. If you are on the other side of an argument with Lloyd you may want to double check your position.
Also, there must be something else going on in his life to make him so jaded right now as to have a triggered reaction like he did. I thought Lloyd's directions to him were clear and he took the time to document it.
Some people need to seriously relax. I know pinball is a job for some on here, but if you are a buyer it is likely just a hobby. People need to chill out!

Probably correct. I thought LTG's answer was just fine and helpful as per usual. I have a ton more time on my hands and just didn't have anything better to do I guess. Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=tomn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.