20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stpcore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2821 7 years ago

Just got my Hobbit Smaug SE #80 yesterday (traded for it). I have to say it's one of the most impressive overall pinball experiences I've been a part of. The look, the sound, the feel...all incredible.

There is so much going on at times it's a bit overwhelming but I also find this a plus as it will be fun to learn new things as I play. I have to keep my eyes on the LCD while someone else is playing so that I can actually see what's supposed to be happening.

I just ordered the yellow plastic protectors from flipnoutpinball.com. I'm noticing there aren't a whole lot of mods for this machine (not many needed I guess). Are there any hidden mods that aren't easily found that would be tasteful additions? A quick search in the market here doesn't show very many. Thanks guys!!!

#2823 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

" My advice is to hold off on expensive mods until another update, or just accept it's a very linear game with long ball times

Thank you. Other than the topper I don't see any super expensive mods. Maybe I can send the coin door out for some plating?

About how often is code being updated? When was the last update and when is the next expected? Is there anything major that would benefit from new code.

1 week later
#2851 7 years ago

Smaug has stopped moving his mouth on my Smaug Edition. Running the mouth test doesn't produce any results and the connectors are seated fine (from what I can reach under the playfield). Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so did you have anything you might share to get him going again? He rotates just fine but his mouth is stuck in the open position.

Really enjoying the game so far otherwise.

#2853 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Look at your settings - there are two numbers that represent the range that his mouth can open. These two numbers should be no more than 20 numbers apart (e.g. 100 and 120). See if his mouth moves in test step by step number by number. If it does, set the jaws open number 5 or 6 less than what it is now. On early Hobbits the ideal numbers are written in black on the bottom of the motor assembly. These numbers are entered into the settings in the factory but if the software was updated they could have reset.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried a bunch of settings for min and max of mouth and unfortunately nothing has worked. He was working fine up until last night and I haven't updated or changed any settings that may have introduced a variable and caused him to stop moving his mouth.

Is there a connector that isn't accessible from under the playfield? Something that may have come loose from within the Smaug head enclosure that could have contributed to stopping his mouth from moving?

#2855 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Servo connector is on the back edge not accessible from below - 3 pin connector back edge that runs the jaw motor

Thank you. Do you know if it is accessible from the top side of playfield? Am I disassembling or removing Smaug?

#2857 7 years ago

Well before I could attempt to check for that servo connector Smaug started smoking in test mode (body rotation test). Called JJP support and was offered a discounted exchange for a new replacement Smaug (I am the second owner so 1 year warranty no longer applies to me). I appreciate that they were willing to work with me and not charge me full price. I do have to send my malfunctioning Smaug in once I receive the replacement.

#2859 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My Smaug stopped 'talking' as well, but it did rotate properly. I found that it was an issue with the motor inside that moved the mouth up and down. I ended up having to replace it as well. Now that I have a new one I am thinking maybe I should keep the min and max closer together (not 20 apart, but more like 15 or so). I wonder if it can be turned off completely in a future update, or if setting the min and max to 100 would work? Also, JJP may need to provide just the motor to replace if it goes bad - a whole Smuag replacement is too expensive.

I'm getting an entirely new/complete Smaug unit. I'm being charged an "exchange fee" plus tax and shipping as I have to send my old one back. It comes to almost $200. Better than full price though. I wish it was covered under the 1 year warranty as my build date is March 2016. I realize now that the warranty is for the original owner only. I'm just grateful JJP didn't charge me the full $500 for a new Smaug.

1 week later
#2899 7 years ago

When I received my replacement Smaug last week I called to ask about mouth open and close parameter settings and was told I did not have to worry about that any longer.

#2903 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

My smaug's mouth does not move either. I need to look under the pf to see what's going on before I contact JJP. What's the warranty period? I'm March 2016.

I am March 2016. Warranty is one year. I'm second owner so I was charged a $170 plus shipping exchange fee for my replacement Smaug. Warranty doesn't apply to me as second owner.

#2905 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thx, will check.

This is disappointing.

It's not horrible as Smaug is $500 to replace normally. The $170 was offered by Victor at JJP as a courtesy out of warranty exchange.

#2907 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Took a look tonight and didnt see anything obvious, but didnt dig too deep. How does the base plate for smaug come out? There are two screws that hold it in. I took the screws out and the base plate came up a little, but i couldnt lift it up and out and didn'twant to damage it.
From underneath the pf, all connectors and wires looked good.
I tried testing the jaw in test mode, nothing.
Fuses test good with a meter.
Given that many people seem to be having this issue, surprised there so little info on fixing smaug.
For those that have fixed the jaw, does jjp give an instruction sheet?

Once you remove the cables from Smaug under the playfield there are only the three screws holding him in. When those are removed he is on the loose. You have to tilt him in a certain direction so that he clears the ramp and he comes right out. Putting him back in is easier if you have someone holding him against the top side of the playfield while you look to line up the screw holes from underneath. It's a little tricky.

When I contacted JJP about his mouth not moving there were not any home repair options presented (only a full swap).

1 week later
#2935 7 years ago

I received my Hobbit a few weeks ago and immediately referenced this thread for tips. It's a huge read but tons of solid information on getting this pin "dialed in" (so to speak).

I'm wondering how original owners that are around the 1 year mark of ownership are feeling about this game now? Is it still a keeper? Did the game play get old or did the code updates keep it fresh?

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the sounds/lights package and beautiful design. I'm just wondering if it will have staying power or if it tends to lose its luster? WOZ is now on my radar because of the positive playing experience I've had with TH.

#2944 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have the Smaug for sale for 7750 in the market, but would also consider selling the LE for the same price (the LE has a full year warranty as I just registered it yesterday.). I don't need or want two, an opportunity came up to get a second so I took it. It's become Apparent to me that there is no difference between the two games except the artwork so either can go.

Just an FYI...if you registered that warranty under your name it is not transferable to the new buyer. I found that out a couple weeks ago when my Smaug mechanism needed replacing. I was second owner with manufacture date of March 2016 (within 1 year warranty period) and there were costs involved that would not have been for the original owner.

#2961 7 years ago

I'm still running version 1.90. Is it worth upgrading to version 1.94 and if so where can I find it? Only 1.90 is listed on their support page.

1 week later
#2999 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

they gave you the wrong plug, should have been two pin, they gave you three pin. Also, make sure you are running the latest code so the topper is powered, earlier versions did not have power. I think you may need 1.90 or possibly a later version. I know 1.94 powers it.

1.90 didn't power the topper on my Smaug but after updating to 1.94 everything was OK.

I installed your lighting mods (trough and ramps) and they look incredible by the way. The ramp lighting is just stunning.

I'm on the fence regarding the ring button plate being sold right now. I wish it was in gold!

#3004 7 years ago

I'd like to add some inner art decals/blades. I normally like to go with art versus mirror but does anyone have any pics they can share of what they have on their Hobbit?

#3006 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'm waiting for the Pingraffix interactive light up blades.

Is that in production for Hobbit?

#3009 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Can you post a picture? I have the ring button plate on my SE and I like it-I can send a picture of that.

Here is a pic of the LED ramp light that mount in the back under the glass channel. I bought the RGB version from Lermods which gives me the option of setting to an individual color (in this case I set to gold although I can change it to any color instantly). I can also set the LEDs to cycle and fade between all the different colors. I think the gold color fits the theme well and really illuminates the artwork that's hidden in the back. It also plays nicely with the gold around Smaug.

Lermods has great customer service, quality mods, and speedy shipping. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

20170312_164315 (resized).jpg20170312_164315 (resized).jpg

#3011 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That does look nice in the gold light. Is there a way to change the brightness as well if you wanted to dial it back a notch?

Yes, brightness is fully adjustable. I have mine set a little higher than the middle mark. It does not interfere with the LED lit cutouts (book, mode, lock, etc.) of the ramp either. You can see them just fine.

#3032 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I'm on 1.94
Might be another issue- my start button isn't lighting up anymore right now for some reason.
Urgh. Wonder if these two issues are related?

My start button didn't light up either (same with my ring button) and when I followed the wire to the back of the cabinet under the playfield I found that a molex had disconnected. Might be worth a shot looking as it's not noticeable unless you are looking.

#3037 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Gonna be looking at a Hobbit tomorrow.. Any hints to what I need to check out? I've read a few thing about the popup 'kit'? Is there a light board issue?
Also...should I be concerned about warranty stuff. I remember the debated about whether a second owner was covered under warranty...but not real sure where that ended
Thanks!

I can only speak from my experience regarding warranty (as a second owner). Inexpensive parts (wire harness, single LED board) were covered as a courtesy for me and I only paid shipping. More expensive parts (Smaug head mechanism) was not covered but I was given a discount on an out of warranty exchange. If I buy another JJP I would only buy new in box if I want the piece of mind regarding warranty coverage.

Hobbit is a great game. Good luck in your search.

2 weeks later
#3121 6 years ago

Where exactly is the left kickback supposed to fire the ball? Mine launches all over the place but nowhere consistently. Should it be heading towards the right spinner?

#3123 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine fires to the upper right flipper and through the spinner.

Thanks. I have to see if I can adjust that as it makes sense for the the ball to travel there.

5 months later
#3878 6 years ago

If anyone is looking for Cliffys and a plastic protector set for Hobbit I listed these in the marketplace this morning...

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “I have a full set of Cliffys for Hobbit that I never used as well as the plastic protector set (amber color) that I used on the game for a few plays before going back to clear. $...”
2017-09-26
St. Charles, IL
75 (Firm)
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 21 times

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stpcore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=stpcore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.