20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider screaminr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4511 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Happy to install my new Hobbit topper
Thanks again 2NIRO Mods

Looks sick love it

1 month later
#4759 5 years ago

Gday guys looking at getting a nib le hobbit don't have time to go through almost 5k posts anything I need to look out for or need to know.Any advice would be much appreciated.

#4762 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Have a look at the 'topic index' and key posts at the top of the page under the 'topic gallery'.

Thanks mate. Just watching TNT at jjp factory, can't wait so excited. hope I can find the money for Potc.

#4785 5 years ago

Put my deposit on a le today now just trying to figure out how to pay for it. .played a star wars le next to it and the difference between them was night and day the star wars felt so cheap although I really liked the video mode I played.

#4790 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Awesome! Not sure if you can get this in Australia but there's a Chase Sapphire credit card out there that offers $500 in cash back after spending $5k within 3 months.

Thanks, no sapphire credit cards here but I did get a $1000 bucks off. Will have to look down the back of the couch for the rest.

#4794 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Ah not a bad deal there! Could’ve saved another few grand second hand

Sorry audioenslaved just always wanted a brand new nib pin ➕ you didn't ring me. Wish you all the best.

#4797 5 years ago

After having a chat today if anyone in oz is interested in getting a bargain priced Hobbit I would highly recommend messaging audioenslaved. I was really tempted but had my heart set on a brand new one

2 weeks later
#4826 5 years ago

Looks like I picked a good time to put money down on a hobbit

1 week later
#4939 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Kush is ready to go and currently being vaporized.

Ah those were the days.

Quoted from Damonator:

multiple multi-balls modes, .

How many multiballs does it have.

#4983 5 years ago

Silly question but did they put a camera in the hobbit for the live stream the camera angle looking at the players seems the same as pirates .

#4998 5 years ago

What's with the new ramps I'm getting a nib will I have problems ?

#5000 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

No.
Early games had soft steel flaps.
Newer games have hardened spring steel flaps.
Jjp sent out a free replacement kit to anyone wanting better flaps.

Phew! Thanks

#5038 5 years ago

Did they change the wire form on the LE and if so do you know from what number it would have been changed

1 month later
#5212 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Gave my game a once over and replaced the beast springs according to Phil at Pinball Heaven's video below. Bit fiddly but worth it if it extends the life of those mechs.
Also noticed that two of my washers installed to stop beast wired getting sliced had come out. Might be an idea for folks to check these if you have them installed, before we start battering our games with the new code. "Come on... not long now Hobbitses!"

LTG -anyone else do you think it's worth replacing the beast springs .I'm getting my Hobbit on Friday I was eventually able to save more than my wife could spend.

#5223 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. I never have.
LTG : )

Thank you very much good to hear

#5246 5 years ago

I'm finally in the club and fishtails has a friend again .Had one of the best pinball nights ever playing in till 2:30 in the morning with my best mate. After a bit of mucking around got the new code updated and it is so good. Gave it a wax and set it up a bit over 7 degrees it is really fast and fun, it is one of the best pinballs ever. I think everyone needs to give it a new rating and get it in the top 10 where it belongs. The only bad thing was when I woke up my dog has eaten my certificate of title.

IMG20180824124806 (resized).jpgIMG20180824124806 (resized).jpgIMG20180824130651 (resized).jpgIMG20180824130651 (resized).jpgIMG20180824173625 (resized).jpgIMG20180824173625 (resized).jpgIMG20180825154421 (resized).jpgIMG20180825154421 (resized).jpgIMG_20180824_194813 (resized).jpgIMG_20180824_194813 (resized).jpg
#5249 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might open a ticket on the help desk under support to see if you could get a new one.

Thanks LTG I'll speak to my dealer and see what he can do I was just so happy to get to machine I couldn't even be bothered getting angry with the culprit and this is him Doug

IMG_20180826_134054 (resized).jpgIMG_20180826_134054 (resized).jpg
#5252 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Yep, looks guilty as hell.

He sure does, he couldn't go for any of the packing instructions he had to go for the most important piece of paper.

#5253 5 years ago

I'm taking the dogs for a walk I must have Hobbit on the brain even this wall reminds me of the Hobbit

IMG20180826141944 (resized).jpgIMG20180826141944 (resized).jpg
#5271 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I just received word that my NIB Hobbit (Black arrow) will arrive to the new apartment this Friday!! I know I could have shopped around and found a solid deal that would have cost me less than a NIB, however I been out of the scene for a bit and my last NIB was a Transformer LE! I was willing to pay a small\large premium to get gain the experience of another NIB. I am like a kid at Christmas and can NOT wait!! Next pin which I will have to shop around for will be a WOZ

Congratulations ! just keep your certificate of title in a safe place .

IMG20180825154421 (resized).jpgIMG20180825154421 (resized).jpg
#5275 5 years ago

The F on elf goes green at the end of the game when smaug blows fire over the Playfield and it is also inconsistent at other times does anyone have any thoughts , is this due to the new code update maybe ?

IMG20180830224010 (resized).jpgIMG20180830224010 (resized).jpg
#5276 5 years ago

Just looking at the machine tonight a few more problems have popped up . The dragon head won't turn right and a couple switches are stuck open . I'm sure it's all part of the machine getting settled . if anyone can point me in the right direction ,I'm not experienced with these issues any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG20180903201733 (resized).jpgIMG20180903201733 (resized).jpgIMG20180903201820 (resized).jpgIMG20180903201820 (resized).jpg
#5278 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’m sure LTG will chime in,

I was hoping LTG sees this post he does such a great job advising people and with a newbie like me I need all the help I can get. Thanks

#5281 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can check the switches in Tests - Switches - Matrixed. The pop bumper leaf blade may need adjusting if the pop bumper skirt doesn't trigger it. The Beorn target might not have been hit recently. It is the stand up target on the right drain lane along the ball guide.
Smaug - A few connectors below the playfield under Smaug, I'd reseat them, be sure they are plugged in tight. And no loose pin or wire in the connectors.

Thanks LTG I'll check it out when I get home from work, any thoughts on the green light?

#5283 5 years ago

Thanks LTG reseated smaug wires and it works now , out lane stand up Target just needed to be activated that's all good , I'll need to bump the machine more in the future , and there is a broken wire to the pop bumper which is in a really hard spot to get too, lots of wires in front of it I'll leave that for now and I'll try Ted about the green light. Once again thank you very much for your advice. If you were a bit closer I would love to buy you a beer. Cheers Rich.

#5284 5 years ago

What does attempt backstab with the ring button do ?

#5287 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I remember this discussion here, HogBog is a Eric Meunier from JJP:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-attempt-backstab-still-unknown

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It lets you attempt to hit one of the beasts so you
Can get through A Beast attack quicker, but it doesn't always work so beware!

Thanks guys loving The Hobbit just trying to figure out all the rules. With it being such a deep game I'm sure I'll have a few more questions along the way it's great to see people helping out. Pinside at it's best.

#5289 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I also refreshed my memory looking for your answer I didn't realise you need to press 'backstab' and then hit the opposite ramp - no wonder i never scored anything!

So can you use it for ramps as well as Beasts

#5291 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

No I don't think so... it goes as follows:
- beast pops up
- 'backstab' ring option light up > player hits button
- shoot ramp entrance on the opposite side to the beast
- ramp entrance opto sees the balls and drops the diverter at the top of the ramp
- ball does a u-turn and kills the beast from the back, hence the backstab
- rewarded with 2x the points
It sounds like a pretty cool thing to pull off...

I just read the link you put up there and read what Eric said , now I understand it in my head just another thing to make it happen for real ,thanks a lot for your help.

#5293 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any tips for that skill shot that is in the inlane and outline? Never able to get that one

I got it once but that was just a fluke. I go for the left lanes and just hope the timing is right. I like to go for the A in the dwarf drop targets but my spring on the plunger is getting weaker and weaker

#5295 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone ever tried to rotate the top of the pop bumper that has the barrel with Thorin on it? It bugs me that you can’t see him at all, and I don’t want to just start dumping figures on the playfield a la LOTR

Good point he has a lot of detail in him I've often thought why isn't he facing us.

#5297 5 years ago

I heard Jack's saying when you hit the bumpers drops of water would go over the small LCD screen ,whatever happened to that.

#5299 5 years ago

Hopefully.

#5327 5 years ago

It actually does do that on the small LCD screen in one of the modes.
It would be cool if it was more utilized.

Thanks good to hear, I'll keep an extra eye out to see if I can notice it during a mode.

#5359 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

This is from a YouTube video. Is there a way to see how many balls you have left that shows more than 3 balls at a time? I lose track of how many extra balls I've gained. This picture was from 2.0 and there was no "shoot again" light present. Maybe this feature went away? Or maybe there is a setting I'm missing? There is a German video with the same thing present...
[quoted image]

I was thinking the exact same thing last night wondering how many extra balls I had left , it would be good if they put that as a standard feature in all modes in the next update .

#5363 5 years ago

Is there a setting in the menu you can go to, to stop games being started once you are playing, I keep hitting the start button with my knee and adding extra games.

#5365 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Any way to stop modes from starting while playing smaug mb? I rather not have to keep in pressing the ring
Also it would be cool if beast mb had its own music....

I thought Smaug shots override any mode shots that were currently going. I just tried it and modes were going during smaug multiball but it didn't seem to affect any of the jackpot shots. It's all new to me so I'm not sure.

#5366 5 years ago

Also I finally got Into The Fire last night and it let me put my name in as champ but today when I turn the machine on it has Thorin as Into The Fire champ is that normal.

#5388 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

That's a known bug that I think Ted said he fixed for 2.97. Hopefully it comes out soon. It was supposed to come out in the beginning of August but it looks like they are on to something else and working on TH whenever they can. Too bad, they are so close to the finish line...

That's good to hear . I felt so ripped off when I saw my name was gone I complained to my wife about it but she didn't care
And after less than 150 games the spring on the Shooter rod won't even reach the dwarf drop targets that's pretty poor.

#5391 5 years ago

Did you try stretching it s bit?
Several people went with the next higher strength spring.
I just stretched mine out and put it back on.

Thanks I'll give that a try

#5399 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t understand. Smaug is VERY easy to follow if running while a mode is. All the shots are that flaming orange. Just ignore anything else but those until the SJP is lit. Then next phase do the same thing. Rinse repeat until you’re ready to load the windlance and take a shot at killing him.

Nice job on your there and back again video have you been able to complete it ?

#5402 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The mode just feels like it's being wasted. I'm shooting SMB and I'm now getting call outs for a mode I'm paying no attention to? It just seems like overkill. I want to be enjoy everything that's going on as opposed to just rushing through just for the sake of progessing.

I'm no computer programmer but I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to" hold modes" during multiball in the options menu.

#5411 5 years ago

In this picture two modes are complete. it's really hard to tell between modes that you have started to the ones you have finished . I have to look at the travelers journey and unless you have a very good memory it's really hard to remember which ones you have completed. When you quickly flick through the modes to change them it would be good if you could easily see the completed ones. In the next code update I would like to see a better way to tell apart started modes and finished modes, maybe a gold line around finished modes or keep the mode black and white with the yellow line around it when started and go to color when completed. Personally I like seeing the modes in colour when started I would like to see a different coloured line around the mode when completed. And for those playing at home the completed the modes are the one ring and moon runes.

IMG20180922223022 (resized).jpgIMG20180922223022 (resized).jpg
#5413 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Which ones are even completed there

That's exactly what I mean

#5415 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

You are so right. They need to be color coded or something. Red for unavailable. Green for available. Solid green for mode queued up.. Gold for completed. I also wish there was an easier way to figure out feeder modes but that may be asking for too much. I think Ted and Co wants to reward the people who have memorized the movies/feeder diagram.

You would think it's a no brainer to show the difference between started and finished modes

#5419 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Good point apparently! I'm still not seeing this though - how can you tell which ones are finished?

The finished ones are third from the left and forth from the left top

#5436 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:Completed modes circled in green? Wow, some are easy to tell, others way to hard to see. One example...The Orc mode besides the right circle complete or yet to play?
[quoted image]

These are the completed modes orc mode was started but not finished

IMG_20180923_163938 (resized).jpgIMG_20180923_163938 (resized).jpg
#5442 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I use that flipper all the TIME to manage runaway balls and bricked shots. This game is SO damn good now. I can’t stay away from it

I agree I've had the pin for about a month now and I don't understand why people said that the Flipper is useless like you say I use it all the time and it's really good for a sneaky ratagast shot.

#5444 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can you make it in that right hole with the upper right flipper? I’ve never been able to do it

Yes I've done it lots of times, I think the sweet spot is from halfway to the back of the Flipper somewhere but I haven't perfected it. I just killed smaug for the first time tonight it was a total fluke in the middle of five multi balls but I'll take it, so stoked. Man I love this pin !

#5455 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

You are looking for differences that are not there. Only four states are indicated on the hex icons:
unqualified
qualified
qualified and selected
played
--Ted

I thought you could go back and complete a mode you hadn't finished ,still learning the game . great pin Ted

#5457 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No. There’s no way to do that. So if the mode is lit up in color, you’ve played or completed it. Since that is all that matters for getting to TABA, I don’t see all the color coding as necessary.

Would there be any negatives to going back to a mode. the way it is now it's good it makes you play all the different modes but on the other hand it could be good to be able to go back and complete modes.

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then you could exploit the scoring in the arkanstone modes. You could just keep playing a 4-5 Star mode until you’re done with it, then blow the game up on the arkanstone mode.

Fair point

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from Simbl:

Hi,
can someone tell me the dimensions of the cabinet high? (front and rear)? Without Backbox and legs.
Thanx

25 inches wide 52 inches long 24 inches high at rear and 16 and a half at front , plunger extra 2 and a half inches

#5470 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

:
- Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task

IMG_20180926_232234 (resized).jpgIMG_20180926_232234 (resized).jpg
#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Where exactly is this located in the menus? I couldn't find it.

I love knowing how many balls you have to go. I find it really handy because you can have more balls before you know it especially after multiball ,and if you want to go for something risky it's good to know how many balls you have left ,if anything it should be an option to turn it off . I think it should be there in every mode.

IMG20180930221337 (resized).jpgIMG20180930221337 (resized).jpg
#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Thanks so much. One further question on this.....I turned it on and see where it's displaying on the screen. If on the first ball, I get 2 extra balls will it show all of those balls or just max out at 3 on the screen? What if I was to get really lucky and get 3 or 4 extra balls on the 1st ball. Will it show all of those? What's the maximum it displays on the screen?

Once you get past three balls it will show it like this

IMG20181001194333 (resized).jpgIMG20181001194333 (resized).jpg
#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This is for screaminr from the question in the JJPOTC club thread …
For connecting TH to a external sub, I used what Pinnovators recommended and it works great. First I bought an RCA splitter for the sub connection at the back of the box from Amazon, then a RCA to STEREO 3.5mm adapter at monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7241
[quoted image]
then used the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable and routed that out through the back under a small access plate (that no one knows what it is for) that has the 4 screws (just pinched the wire casing a touch with it so that it wouldn't get accidentally pulled), then to the Pinnovators sub splitter.
[quoted image]
I had bought 5 of those monoprice adapters because they were cheap but had questionable reviews - all 5 worked. Pinnovators said that they never had or heard of a problem with them. Their theory was that it was best to have the sound coming from both a RH and LH audio channel. I have that setup with the adapters for both my WOZ and TH and the sound is great.
If nothing else it can give you an idea of what to do. I see that the monoprice RCA to 3.5 stereo is out of stock until 10/25, so if you want one I will bring one to Expo with me and give it to you for 50 cents. I don't have another extra RCA splitter though. Let me know ...

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain everything so clearly , really appreciate it . With The Hobbit having such a good sound setup how much difference does the extra sub make .

#5486 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I guess that it depends on your taste and preferences. I like the external sub as it gives you better adjustments to accentuate the bass like a movie theater. You can possibly do some of that with the speaker in the pin, but then you are rattling the pin more when you are looking for the sound. When the sound levels increase for the intensity of the various modes is when the difference is most prevalent. Just my opinion. The existing JJP sound systems are great for pins either way.

With how good jjp sound is ,it's probably over the top but I like over the top and will give it a go down the track . once again thank you for your help and advice .

1 week later
#5503 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

IMG_20181016_100629 (resized).jpgIMG_20181016_100629 (resized).jpg
#5551 5 years ago

Just finished installing the Prancing Pony mod I know the Prancing Pony was in the Lord of the Rings but it's Gandalf's favourite pub and I'm sure Bilbo would have gone there before as well . I also think the gold ring with metal plate for the Lockdown bar is the way to go

IMG20181021000553 (resized).jpgIMG20181021000553 (resized).jpg
#5595 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the LE and Smaug editions have one of the nicest factory powder coats ever applied to a pin

I agree , the powder coating especially on the le is fantastic , sometimes I just find myself rubbing my fingers along it in between balls thinking how nice is this.

#5598 5 years ago

I had to look up what TMI meant (PS I hate abbreviations) if I'm right that means to much information , is that because I said balls and rubbing in the same sentence . lucky I didn't mention how the game spurts the balls out or swallows them.

#5609 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Can someone provide me where I can find how to add a sub woofer to a Hobbit

KingBW does a great job of explaining it on page 110 post #5482.

#5634 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

I just have to say, this v2.99 beta hobbit code is off the hook!!
The experience is nothing like when the game was first released. The sounds and callouts, the gorgeous lights and effects, the reworked rules and mode presentations - Absolutely amazing, beautiful, polished, and EPIC.
I am so proud to have this game!
Thank you JJP!!

Does the new code show how many remaining balls you have in normal mode ?

#5636 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I believe that was introduced in ver 2.0
I assume you are referring to the "balls in reserve" feature. If so, it is in the setting under system settings (I believe).

Yes , I'm asking if balls in reserved feature (how many balls are left) is available in the normal mode.

2 weeks later
#5824 5 years ago

Just installed 3.0 and played a few games,and it's great. I really like the new animations and call outs. Will have to get used to not hitting the red button all the time. Like others have said I would like to see the fire over the playfield come back ,that was a great effect. Great job Ted and jjp. Really appreciate the updates and all your hard work.

#5870 5 years ago

After doing the update I now get a click click click sound before starting a game doesn't seem like a big deal but has anyone else had this

#5871 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

After doing the update I now get a click click click sound before starting a game doesn't seem like a big deal but has anyone else had this

A silly question I'll have a better look.

1 week later
#5916 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I am a newish owner of a routed Hobbit and had a few questions for owners.
1. The game cannot lower one of the DWARF targets. It remains up even when resetting the bank or during DWARF skill shot. I haven't had time to look under the play field at the drop target mech.
2. Why does my spider not raise all the time? Seems to almost always happen during bash the spider. Feels like it tries several times to raise. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. The problem is intermittent.
3. The right lower flipper sometimes goes weak. Do you think I just need to rebuild the mechs? And these are standard Williams mechs, right?
4. Does the shaker motor sound like a slow grind during the first lock of Smaug multi ball for anyone else? It is strange because otherwise the shaker is fine. Only during this section. Wasn't sure if it is intentional.
I am hoping to shop it out around Christmas time when I have some time off work. Any cool mods or upgrades that you guys suggest? I was thinking of switching all rubber out with Titan silicone so I don't have to mess with it for awhile.
Thanks!

My R Target wouldn't drop , I looked and found a spring in the bottom of the cabinet with one end broken off , I bent up the last couple of loops and reattached it all good now .My spot lights don't work , can anyone tell me where the 12 volt plugs into the cabinet so I can check the connection.

1 week later
#5970 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I've been hearing a clicking noise since updating to 3.0. it is a few 3-5 clicks at start of the game. Not the drop Target sounds, but quieter. Can't figure it out.

Does it sound like it's coming from around the Dragons head just before the ball pops out mine started making that sound after the update I'm not worried about it just something I noticed

#5971 5 years ago

I didn't realise Smaug multiball carries over , just a couple shots in, the flippers died and for a second I thought there was a problem but then the animation started also got to botfa .What a rush this game is so good .Best pin ever.

4 weeks later
#6139 5 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Anything I can use to remove the ball trails from the ramps?
[quoted image]

WD40 is the best and will prevent any potential rust spots .

#6141 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rust spots on stainless steel ?

I've got some rust spots on expensive stainless steal kitchen knives ( so probably not the best stainless steal) either way WD40 works great.

#6142 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rust spots on stainless steel ?

A quick Google search shows lots of examples of rust spots on stainless steel and ways on how to remove them . I'm not saying the ramps will get any rust at all but I did have a getaway high speed 2 from Greece that did have some rust spots on it so now I'm always precious.

IMG_20190103_170951 (resized).jpgIMG_20190103_170951 (resized).jpgIMG_20190103_165754 (resized).jpgIMG_20190103_165754 (resized).jpgIMG_20190103_165841 (resized).jpgIMG_20190103_165841 (resized).jpg
#6145 5 years ago

Waxing the metal parts is a better solution.
Collinite wax is designed for metal and works very well for playfields too.
amazon.com link »
While wd40 does dry out after awhile, it also can attract black dust since it's a very light oil. This is not acceptable for pinball use overall.

Waxing won't " clean " the ramps . I'm going off what George Gomez recommends , as long as you put it on and wipe it off with a clean rag I don't think you'll have any issues .

#6147 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know there are different kinds of stainless steel. I didn't know any could rust. Thank you.

Neither did I until I had a problem with it . I think it could only be an issue if you lived near the sea or in a very tropical humid climate (like Greece) .

1 week later
#6210 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Joined the club and Hobbit will be my 2nd pin. Arrives tomorrow!

If you like the movies you can't go wrong . My favourite " moment." in pinball is killing smug . It won't be leaving my place .

#6216 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It’s here!![quoted image]

Nice ! Black Arrow , I assumed all the balls were going to be black including The Captive ones .

#6219 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Ok so one problem I have. My plunger cannot reach the DWARF targets at all. I have tried centering the plunger, moving it around, different spots, etc, and still the same result. But, if I slap my palm against the plunger, the ball will hit the R or F drop target. Do I need a new spring?

I had the same problem . Pull the clip of the Shooter Rod make sure the washer doesn't go flying and stretch the inner spring as much as possible . Ideally you need a stronger spring .
You just need it to reach the F target.

#6220 5 years ago

PS . stretch the spring in sections, and don't be shy really pull it . Also the rubber cap on the shooter rod can be really hard to get off , but it will come . When you put it back on put a little bit of spit on your finger and wipe it on the tip of the rod ( that sounds rude) in case you have to pull it off again to stretch the spring some more .

#6273 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

You have to send in he security dongle from your game and they add it for a $200 charge for the software only. Then you can turn pindemption on or off in your settings whenever you want.
I was quoted $800 if you want the ticket dispenser too.
Here’s a link to the full Pindemption stream for anyone who may have missed it. I played around with a bunch of different play types throughout the stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364105979

Thanks for showing us that . Cool to see how it all worked playing for tickets but I don't feel as though I need to rush out and get it .

#6322 5 years ago

Just updated to 3.1 played a quick game noticed the new lighting effects , it just keeps getting better . Great job jjp .

#6325 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Completely agree and they added in some new hurry ups to boot.
The Hobbit has really become one of the most underrated masterpieces in pinball. If you like a journey, a machine that tells a story, one of the greatest wizard modes ever (Battle of Five Armies), or one of the greatest shots ever (killing Smaug), this machine will never leave a collection. I can understand it isn't for everyone. It's not really about scoring points or just having a quick brutal game. It is about the theme integration. Would almost like to see the Top 100 broken up into themes/genres. This one has to be in the top for playing through a journey. While I love AFMr or even The Munsters, it isn't the same thing.

If there was a category for theme integration and overall immersion in gameplay this would have to be number one .

#6388 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Would Hobbit be considered a loud game with all those drops, if the music was turned down?

It's definitely not quiet .

#6427 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Really dumb question, and I probably already know the answer but.........
I rushed when putting my name in on a #4 high score and the last letter was inadvertently entered incorrectly.
Any hacker ways of correcting this faux pas?
(crossing my fingers)....lol

Don't worry you " only " have to beat that score 5 more times and you're all good

1 week later
#6476 5 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Had to pick one up after the latest code update, such a great game!

Nice having it next to Lotr .

1 week later
#6498 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

JJP-POTC needs something like this.

As good as the playfield design is and how deep the code is on Pirates I think it's missing charm and character because of the lack of movie assets and modes . Sadly I think this will always hold it back . The hobbit covers all these bases so well , it's an A+ and will always be my favourite . Plus it helps I love the movies .

#6501 5 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Hi gang, my Hobbit came with broken lamps on the 4 that point to the pop ups on the pf. These are 12v I think, any links to suggested replacements? Will uv ones make the trap doors 'pop'?

My lamps are out too , tried new leds must be a connection somewhere . I'm not sure but uv's might spread the light out to much and not focus on the the trap doors . Only one way to find out.

#6545 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Apologies, don't mean to derail the issues up above.
I'm coming close to getting either an LE or Black Arrow edition Hobbit, and was wondering if there are differences other than cosmetics, like if one run is newer and more improved over the other? Does anyone have preferences over all in Hobbit versions, Smaug included?

I got a nib le and it had all the factory upgrades . I love the armour ( the best I've seen from a factory PIN ) and I love the artwork . Couldn't be happier , as long as it has the upgrades I think it's just a matter of choice which one you like the best .

#6546 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What is incredible in the latest code? I'm weighing going through the hassle of updating vs a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of thing.

New lighting effects , I'm sure I've seen some new animations and heard some new callouts overall the game just shines don't think about it just do it !!!

#6548 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I chose LE over BA for the armor and art as well. BA is just black armor vs the hammered bronze (or gold for Smaug). But as a fan of the movies I prefer LE art because has all the characters. But, whereas some (mainly non-JJP owners) complain about multiple versions, I like that I had a choice. I mean, bring on Yellow brick road WOZ, because I am not selling my beautiful ruby red! BA and LE all have the same upgrades from early Smaugs, just choose the one that you click with and don't look back.

I love the different artwork on each side of the cabinet the whole game just kicks ass

#6579 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This is for screaminr from the question in the JJPOTC club thread …
For connecting TH to a external sub, I used what Pinnovators recommended and it works great. First I bought an RCA splitter for the sub connection at the back of the box from Amazon, then a RCA to STEREO 3.5mm adapter at monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7241
[quoted image]
then used the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable and routed that out through the back under a small access plate (that no one knows what it is for) that has the 4 screws (just pinched the wire casing a touch with it so that it wouldn't get accidentally pulled), then to the Pinnovators sub splitter.
[quoted image]
I had bought 5 of those monoprice adapters because they were cheap but had questionable reviews - all 5 worked. Pinnovators said that they never had or heard of a problem with them. Their theory was that it was best to have the sound coming from both a RH and LH audio channel. I have that setup with the adapters for both my WOZ and TH and the sound is great.
If nothing else it can give you an idea of what to do. I see that the monoprice RCA to 3.5 stereo is out of stock until 10/25, so if you want one I will bring one to Expo with me and give it to you for 50 cents. I don't have another extra RCA splitter though. Let me know ...

Thanks King Bw finally got around around to getting a sub and installing it . Just put a rca splitter in and connected it straight in couldn't be easier no soldering or alligator clips . Sounds unreal it's like the movies totally worth it , thanks for your advice .

#6582 5 years ago

Woz was bloody heavy but I reckon The Hobbit is heavier . The Playfield on The Hobbit is heavier because of all the coils all the rest of the cabinet and back box should be pretty much the same

#6590 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I'm not sure what happened but I started Feast Frenzy and crazy scoring started happening. Modes starting on there own. I scored 13million on just that mode with a final score of 17million. Is this correct or did I uncover a bug?

I don't know but I guess it would be a bug but I wouldn't tell my friends that

#6593 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Maybe it happened because when I started Feast frenzy I also had beast multiball and smog multiball going.

I was playing tonight and had smaug multiball going and feast frenzy and Beast multiball I don't know in which order I had it , I killed smaug and didn't even crack a million , jersey Jack pins don't normally score that big but if there is a way to do it I would love to know .

#6598 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course![quoted image]

As good as Lord of the Rings is I'd love to see jjp have a go at it

#6605 5 years ago
Quoted from Rushlarz2112:

Hello all,
New here to Pinside...been a pinballer here in South Dakota for a little over a year. I have an opportunity to buy a LE Hobbit for $7000. One owner, has kept it in very good condition. I really enjoy the Hobbit movies, and think this will be a great home pin for me as my first game. Was thinking of DI or Pirates new but I think this is a good value and my style of play. I have seen some remarks about used games going mid 6,000. I'm sure the price is right for a quality machine as this. Looking forward to taking some pictures and posting when the game is home this weekend. Hope to connect with others around the area. Have a good one!

If you like the movies you'll love the pin . There are so many things to do and different ways to go about it . I love that it's very hard and challenging but at the same time it's doable .
At first it can seem like random Chaos but once you understand the basic rules it's very easy to follow , there are still deep parts of the code I don't fully understand but that doesn't take away from the game at all . The callouts the video clips and the whole theme integration playing experience is the best in Pinball in my opinion . The LE art package and armour is killer and as RDoyle said you can't go wrong .

#6606 5 years ago

Finally got around to putting a proper session on The Hobbit with a subwoofer hooked up . The sound on The Hobbit is awesome but with a sub connected it takes it to another level . So easy to do . Anyone on the fence about doing it I couldn't recommend it highly enough .

#6618 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Let’s say I already have a spare sub, what cables do I need to buy to connect it?

The simplest way to connect it is ( thanks to King BW ) go to Audio or electrical shop and get a single RCA subwoofer cable you don't need left and right , and a 2 female to 1 male RCA splitter . Remove the red RCA cable at the back of the silver box , insert the RCA splitter where the red cable was , plug back in the red cable and your subwoofer cable . Remove at least three screws from the Square metal plate on the back of the cabinet and push it down , then poke your subwoofer cable through the hole . Connect the end of the subwoofer cable into the RCA input on the back of your subwoofer ( I used the red input ) you might have to adjust your crossover knob if your sub has one , then it's just a matter of adjusting the volume to a level you like . And then you're done .

IMG20190227195658 (resized).jpgIMG20190227195658 (resized).jpgIMG20190227195707 (resized).jpgIMG20190227195707 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_195214 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_195214 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200229 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200229 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200139 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200139 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200322 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200322 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200418 (resized).jpgIMG20190227200418 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_201449 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_201449 (resized).jpg
#6623 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

It is slightly different instructions (for those interested) that use the Pinnovators sub mixer to put more than 1 pin on each sub. Pinnovators recommends that you use both the right and left channels for the best sound. Not mandatory, but this was based on their test results. The link below shows the slight differences using the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/110#post-4620192

I got lucky the guy I brought the subwoofer off is an audio engineer and has his own company OAD and makes high-end amplifiers. He has made the world's first fully touch screen amplifier . His setup sounded absolutely awesome . I asked him about the left right channel on the subwoofer and he said without seeing the equipment in the pin he didn't think would make any difference , either way it's still sounds great . Besides music pins I can't think of a better pin to connect a subwoofer to . It the best " mod " I've ever done on a pin .

IMG_20190228_182256 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_182256 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123436 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123436 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123456 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123456 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123822 (resized).jpgIMG20190222123822 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_190841 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_190841 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_191114 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_191114 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_183010 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_183010 (resized).jpg
#6625 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

WOW. Those speakers!
His quote is correct - the sub does not care which input it gets, and the only tiny possibility you would lose anything is if somehow, a mix had just the bass specifically hard-panned all the way to the right or left. IF you were plugged in with the opposite connector, you would miss that one event. This would never happen on a pinball music mix since there's only the one speaker, all bass would be kept in the middle. So you're good.

I know . He played Nick Cave , Red Right Hand and it was as if the band was there in front of me .

#6628 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It looks like I am going to be joining the Hobbit club this weekend. I am picking up a modded low use HUO LE with about 7 mods with the following description.
The RGB mod is from LER mods, you can leave it off or select a color or have it fade in or out . The flipper mod is from hooked on pinball and is the one that looks like gold coins. The art blades are from PINGRAFIX and match the game with the gold coin artwork like in the dragons treasure room. The award throne sits in the middle of the loop around and has an RGB light instead of the standard green only light. The fluorescent plastics are 4 pieces around the flipper area and protect the plastics and glow green. it also has an orange trough light, and color matching hex nuts.
I think I'm getting it for a good price ($6750) and wanted to know if there was anything in particular I should be looking for on this machine. It's a 6 hour round trip, so I'm pretty much committed once I get there, but needed to know if there were any "walk away" items on this one. Supposedly the cabinet and playfield are perfect.
Other than the included mods, is there anything else one of these needs? I am already downloading the 3.1 code and will install it once I get it home.
Also, as far as moving these things, how hard is it really to take these apart for moving purposes. I was reading earlier in the thread it's about a 15 minute job to remove the backbox and playfield, but didn't know how likely I'd be to cause permanent damage doing this.
In any case, this is going as my "modern and deep game" next to my Jurassic Park. I think they play pretty differently.
Excited to join the club!

You can't trust low plays he might not have saved settings after an update . look for playfield were around the holes and shooterlane the usual stuff , and I would want to make sure it had the updated ramps and also the plastic inserts in the Beast pop-up mechs .

#6633 5 years ago

How do I tell if these are there?

Lift the trap doors to the beasts on the Playfield and there should be a piece of plastic in front of the head

IMG_20190301_185109 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_185109 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_184233 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_184233 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_184104 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_184104 (resized).jpg
#6662 5 years ago

Goblin won't pop up . It says there's a couple of switches stuck open . Is the circled switch below the one I should be looking at ( the arm on it felt nice and springy ) . To be honest I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking at . Can't see any broken wires and all the connections seem good as far as I can tell . In coil test the Goblin moves a tiny bit but not as much as the other Beasts . Any suggestions on what to do would be great .

IMG_20190307_223208 (resized).jpgIMG_20190307_223208 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202518 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202518 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202617 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202617 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202738 (resized).jpgIMG20190307202738 (resized).jpg
#6664 5 years ago

The beast mechs are essentially flipper mechs. There is the main power that pushes up the mech and then the hold power.
Is your interlock switch pulled out? Have you tried moving the mech manually? If the computer shows it as broken you might need to move it manually.

Yes I pulled the interlock out to do the test ( it would be good if it reminded you to do that on the screen ) and it moves freely when I do it manually

#6666 5 years ago

if you manually hold it up, and then hit the test button, does it stay up?
If you manually bring it up and then hit the two switches, do they work?
If it is not going up in test mode, then i would look at the wiring on the coil itself.
The switch you circled in your picture is the "goblin up" switch, so if you manually lifted it all the way up then that switch should have been activated and cleared the "red" status. If you hit the goblin face, that should activate the "Goblin Pop-Up Hit" switch.
post a picture of the up coil so we can look at that wiring.

Do I do this with the play field up or down

#6668 5 years ago

if you manually hold it up, and then hit the test button, does it stay up?
If you manually bring it up and then hit the two switches, do they work?
If it is not going up in test mode, then i would look at the wiring on the coil itself.
The switch you circled in your picture is the "goblin up" switch, so if you manually lifted it all the way up then that switch should have been activated and cleared the "red" status. If you hit the goblin face, that should activate the "Goblin Pop-Up Hit" switch.
post a picture of the up coil so we can look at that wiring.

Pushing it up cleared the Goblin up switch . The Goblin pop-up hit switch does not work and it will not hold up in test when I put it up . Very hard to get a good picture of the wiring it all seems connected nothing is loose

IMG20190308013137 (resized).jpgIMG20190308013137 (resized).jpg
#6669 5 years ago

OK, my red switches have gone and the Goblin pop up hit , is an adjustment of the leaf switch behind the head I'm pretty sure . it's 2 in the morning now I got to go to work tomorrow and I'll get back into it tomorrow thank you so much for your help and putting me in the right direction really appreciate it .

#6674 5 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Is there a way to test the Beast spotlights?
My right upper spotlight is flashing all the time, but I can't see anything in the menu that lets me test the spotlights?
Can these LEDs be changed or do you have to change the assembly, as the LEDs in my spots appear to be siliconed in.

You can pull them out you need pointy pliers or something similar . If you replace them you need 12V lights . One of my spotlights is flashing and all the others are out and I had just replaced the lights I always seem to have issues with spotlights on jjp games for whatever reason . Jjp lights are one way if they don't work when you put them in try flipping it over to see if that works

#6679 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese: Did the Smaug mouths used to not work, but were updated to work after a software update?

After bringing up this point, I was assured that was normal, and that a simple software update would fix it.

If he said to you smaug's mouth never moved and that's normal but a new code update will make it move , then he was lying to you . If he had it from new the mouth would have moved at some point . Some people have said after doing an update the mouth hasn't moved properly and they've had to adjust it in the settings , I've done every update and never had a problem .
Before buying expensive parts I would post your problem here , there are many knowledgeable people and they are very helpful and should be able to get you in the right direction to fix any issue . Maybe you could use your spare head as a topper ?

#6699 5 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

Hi All:
I have what I believe to be an easier method.
instead of the splitter and near the same location there is an auxiliary 3.5mm stereo output jack. see picture. Buy a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable and run that down to your sub and you are done. Although using the splitter method works, the RED RCA cable on the back of the JJP module has a low frequency filter. Since pretty much all active external powered subs have their own frequency adjustment you would want an unfiltered line out such as the aux 3.5mm jack. This way you can tune the frequency of your sub to your liking. The other two attached RCA cables on the JJP module go to the back box speakers and have a high frequency filter so likewise you would not want to use that either.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I blew $2 50 on a splitter for nothing damn it

#6703 5 years ago

New dragon arrived and works like a champ! All that is left is a new topper plug (being replaced) and Ill have a 100%+ Hobbit. Will likely be posting a partially working Dragon on the marketplace. PM for details if interested.
The only difference cosmetically between the two is the eye color.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Smaug looks sick , one of the best toys going around

1 week later
#6754 4 years ago

For netman 63129

1 week later
#6769 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

My only "dislike" of this game thus far which also matches what another gentleman said ...... the roll over targets. I emailed backalley creations and asked them if they'd make rollovers that weren't as obnoxiously interfering with ball travel as the current buttons are. Something like old Gottlieb roll over height. I would imagine it's possible? I forgot how much I hated these stupid things when I owned a WCS 4 years ago. lol
TH is such a cool game especially now with the latest code and the pf fixes implemented. For the record I am a HUGE TH, POTC and LOTR fan. I'm actually glad I bought the TH over JJPPOTC. I own a LOTR and TH and I love to get my middle earth groove on. Thanks J. R. R. Tolkien!

I went with Hobbit over pirates and don't regret it for a single second .

#6779 4 years ago

Green white wire has sheared off from the Goblin hit switch . What's the best way to get to it , do you have to pull out the whole unit looks like a nightmare to do that and even worse to get it back in , with the screws covered by wires even with a magnetic screwdriver . Can I extend the wire with any similar size wire and how to stop it from happening again . Any suggestions would be great

IMG_20190410_202903 (resized).jpgIMG_20190410_202903 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6824 4 years ago
Quoted from Extubate:

Well, the mouth on my Black Arrow SMAUG seems to have bit the dust. I emailed JJP support and was advised to try replacing the servo motor. The only question that I ask is does anybody know the model/maker of the servo motor or where to buy one? JJP advised buying one on the secondary market as they charge $30 for the part and mention that you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can't they tell you the maker and the model number at jjp . I would just spend the $30 and get it off them at least you know it will be right

#6828 4 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob: Incidentally...damn I love the sound package on this game.

If you want to hear it at it's full potential connect a subwoofer to it .

#6832 4 years ago

Just had one of my best games ever not score wise but I was going for there and back again played 28 modes and completed Ratagast Gandalf and Bilbo modes this game just keeps getting better and better , love it

#6835 4 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

screaminr, you played 28 of 31 modes and didn’t get a high score? Unless timing them out I don’t feel the game is that imbalanced. So what did you do for the actual high points then

You're right I was timing out the modes , my Goblin isn't working properly at the moment so my goal was to see how many modes I could get and possibly get to there and back again . The only thing I went for every now and then was smaug multiball to qualify a few modes , and I ended up with a million points . It's great how there are so many things to do and different ways to play it , always keeps me coming back for more

2 weeks later
#6905 4 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I would say it isn't normal. I'm amazed on fast shots it stops my ball in a split second.

I agree mine catches every ball every time no matter how fast they're going

#6913 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

It seems my problems with Smaug’s magnet are getting worse. Ik think it now only catches about 1 out of 10 times.
I have no idea how to fix this. The magnet works perfectly fine during coils test and the opto on the ramp does so as well. The diverters on the ramp work fine as well which might be an indication that detecting a ball on the ramp works fine as well.
Any ideas?

Wish I could help . Mine is fairly new under a year old . I hope it isn't something that happens over time . I don't think it's code related why would they not want it to catch the ball . Someone mentioned optos ? The one at my dealer"s didn't catch any balls , I just thought it must have a loose or broken wire .

#6920 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There did seem to be a change in how often the balls were caught after one of the recent releases - might have been 2.97 IIRC.

For what it's worth I've done all the updates as they've come out and my machine hasn't skipped a beat , still catches every ball .

#6938 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I will give any one stopping in today six games on their favorite Jersey Jack Pinball machine here.

I would love to take you up on your offer but I don't think I could make it there today as we're already a day ahead over here , but seriously thanks for all of your advice and help

#6957 4 years ago

The pinnovators external volume control is amazing, it's for the speakers. I have them on all my games.
10 or 15 min install.

I still think these machines should come with a remote control for on , off , volume up and down

3 weeks later
#7058 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

So what do you have to order to get the sound like you guys are talking. I see this psw10, but what and how do I interface it? Is it really a better experience?

I wouldn't be soldering any wires , just plug in a rca cable in the back , there's a lot of subwoofer talk a few pages back

Quoted from Boatshoe:

Still looking for a washer size to prevent beasts cutting wires if anyone knows it!

How do you use washers to protect the wires . I have to fix my beast mec , first I've heard of this solution , any pictures would be good

#7059 4 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Considering picking up a Hobbit, but wanted to ask about the new code. Is there an ultimate wizard mode, and if so, how difficult is it to reach it?

The final wizard mode is called there and back again , to reach it you have to start all 31 modes , my best is 28 ( I'm not very good ) so it is doable . To finish it you have to play One Shot from each mode easier said than done .I'm pretty sure that's how it goes

#7067 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Taken from other parts of this thread.[quoted image]

Does a part of the wire get held under the washer to hold it way from the moving Beast mech ? It's hard to tell what's going on from that picture .

#7069 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

See post 1930 Also has washer size. #8 3/4 washer.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/39#post-3341330
The washer stops the beast mech from going up all the way (by just a little bit) because the beast has a habit of cutting the wires as it goes up. The washer stops the beast and so gives the wire a little bit of space.

That makes sense , thanks a lot .

2 weeks later
#7174 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

it should fairly regularly shoot the ball into the Kili entrance. .

My Windlance has never shot it into the Killi entrance is there a way to adjust it

#7179 4 years ago

Bend the end of the right flatrail in the windlance lane
It's easy, maybe remove or loosen the plastic, loosen screw, pry it out slightly, tighten screw.
Bend it in or out as you need.
A little is a lot.
Adjust power as you need also.
In the game it's supposed to be a bit random..
But with a full charge it should go up the right lane and half way to the pops.
My windlance was terrible.
But after 30 mins of adjustment it's now near perfect.

Thanks , will give it a go , would make killing Smaug a lot easier

1 month later
#7330 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Maybe they can tweak the code a bit to kill lower flippers when you load the windlance during Smaug multiball, and you can only kill Smaug from upper flipper. To make it fair if you miss the first shot you can get a second try within a given amount of time(hurry up).

I like the current setup . It's hard enough to kill Smaug as it is , and a lot of machines won't hit the ball into the right orbit and if you kill the flippers you won't be able to make it up there again for a second shot and even if you make it so they work after a couple seconds that would make it the same setup as it is now

#7331 4 years ago

The ball should make the ramp easily but not overly fast.

One thing I hate about pinball is weak flippers .
At first I had a lot of air balls but now the pin has settled in I rarely get them . A lot of people complain about The Hobbit being slow and floaty but mine plays hard and fast , it's just all to do with how your pin is setup .

#7345 4 years ago

How to kill Smaug . check out video on Post #7654

#7348 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Uh... I don’t think we made it that far yet

Whoops # 6754

1 week later
#7361 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Managed to finish Riddles in the Dark this morning which allowed a 4x Into the Fire. Over 770,000 from that after falling just short of Level 4. Just got lucky that Riddles gave easier shots than normal stacked with a multiball. Finally cracked a Million! (I don't allow Beast and Smaug multiballs to stack.)[quoted image]

Congratulations ! I have never got riddles and don't know how to do it .
Riddles in the dark is a 5-star mode , I'm not sure if that is different to x 4 . I normally go for the demise of bolg , a 4 Star mode , the easiest I have found just hitting the centre ramps .

#7431 4 years ago

Check to see if a wire fell off or was cut to that switch, if its not registering.

They are easy to work on if you remove the stop nut at the bottom, unplug the switch and coil and just pull out the whole unit.

So can you remove the Beast Mech by removing the stop nut at the bottom of it , or do you have to take off all the stuff from the top and do it that way
In other words can you undo a nut from a beast Mech and pull it up through the Playfield or do you have to remove the trap door and a lot of stuff and pull it down through the Playfield

#7432 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry. I forgot topside you need to remove the two clips and two springs holding the trap door to the pop up character. Before lowering the assembly.
I pull it up. Lock a small vice grip on the side so it can't go back down into the hole. The carefully remove the clip and screw so they don't drop or fly off into never never land.

From what I'm reading seems two ways to remove a beast mech , one seems a lot easier than the other , am I missing something ?

1 month later
#7635 4 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

Are you guys able to hit the right hole from the top flipper? I’ve done it a few times on accident but don’t really have an approach for it. Also, is anyone able to reliably hit the ramp from the top flipper?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Heck no. As was posted earlier, maybe by a fluke - but that upper flipper seems mostly best used for cross-playfield horizontal shots ( like to the Dwarf drops) , hitting the Orc or Goblin mech, or for blocking a drain. I don't think I've ever hit the ramp all the way from the UF

My le NIB is factory set up . I can backhand both the VUK's , and both ramps and the right vuk with the upper flipper . Not whenever I want , otherwise I would have a lot higher scores , but it is possible .

3 weeks later
#7731 4 years ago

Jjp announced at expo their games will be Bluetooth compatible for headphones and will have Wi-Fi . The good news is , it will work on The Hobbit

#7735 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Update stuff will be WiFi.

Once wifi is up and running it would be good if they had a worldwide leaderboard for all the different categories and you could search country by country and see their machines game settings , to give you an idea of how you compare to others . Some people would cheat but I think a majority would be honest .

#7786 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

I’m always amazed out how quick everyone responds in an effort to help. Truly thanks to all. Makes owning pins less stressful lol

Totally agree . Everybody in this thread is so nice and helpful , if it wasn't the case I would have sold my Hobbit . Pinside at it's best .

2 weeks later
#7850 4 years ago
Quoted from JamieK:

Hi,
Could anyone “Throw some Light” on the the 4 led Mini spot lights that overlook the pop-up beasts please. I don’t think I’ve ever seen these illuminate and they don’t appear to operate in any LED light tests ?
There’s no other issues with lighting and I’ve checked all connections and everything looks good
Many thanks
Jamie K[quoted image][quoted image]

The bulbs (LEDs) are probably dead , I have had issues with spotlights on all my jjp games

#7851 4 years ago
Quoted from JamieK:

Hi,
Could anyone “Throw some Light” on the the 4 led Mini spot lights that overlook the pop-up beasts please. I don’t think I’ve ever seen these illuminate and they don’t appear to operate in any LED light tests ?
There’s no other issues with lighting and I’ve checked all connections and everything looks good
Many thanks
Jamie K[quoted image][quoted image]

They might have jiggled loose , try pulling them out and refitting them , they only go one way so if they don't work flip them 180 degrees and try again . They are a pain in the arse to pull out , they have hot glue holding them in , try needle nose pliers or some tweezers .

1 month later
#8051 4 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

The roaming extra ball target is triggered when all qualifier shots (ELF, DWARF, MEN, Radagast, Bilbo, Gandalf) are made in a row, "before" starting a mode.
Starting a mode before hitting all qualifiers will reset the requiring qualifiers for the specific mode and you will have to collect them again.
Go to settings and somewhere there is the difficulty adjustment for modes. If standard is activated (what mostly is), at the start of a game the machine triggers a random qualifier, so that you can start a mode directly from the beginning. This already activated qualifier will NOT count for the roaming extra ball target, which means you have to start a mode first to nullify the already given qualifier.
Either this method, or It'll only be triggered when no qualifier is lit and then you hit all six.
When you change the difficulty settings one step harder, no qualifier is given at the start of a game and the extra ball target should immediately be triggered when the last qualifier is shot.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it works on my machine

WOW . I don't think I will ever know all the rules on this game .

1 month later
#8158 4 years ago

What do people think is the " easiest " 5 star mode .

1 week later
#8219 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Does anyone have any tips for removing the captive ball?
I read this thread, tried bonking it a few times with 2 nut drivers, didn't budge.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newton-ball-assembly-removeinstall#post-5492391
My ball also came off, and the post stayed in. I tried also using pliers to turn it and raise it more....as the user in that thread had his post higher than mine.

I always wondered how the captive ball was attached . That link should be a key Post .
I was told in this thread to add a washer to the top of the Beast Mech's that attach to the Playfield , to stop the wires being chopped like what happened to me , I had some pictures but I can't find them but I'll have another look . Good luck with everything Wesman .

#8231 4 years ago

From looking at the pictures I would be hitting it down from the top , less chance of pushing the top of the Playfield wood up , do you even have to pull it out ? can't you just whack down a new ball on the post .

#8233 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Top side has a base. And it's knurled. Won't fit through the hole.

Gotcha , from looking at the pictures it looks the opposite way , so what about just wacking the new ball on to the post .

1 month later
#8414 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiltboss:

I am so freaking excited right now I just rented a hobbit..Doing my part to help the small businesses locally that have machines on location that are closed and I get to have something extra to do at home and to top it off it’s one of the games on my wish list! Also got a fish tales for my dad since he can’t really go fishing right now if I could only get him gophers! lol

The Hobbit and Fish Tails , perfect combo .

IMG_20180824_194813 (resized).jpgIMG_20180824_194813 (resized).jpg
#8415 3 years ago

The shadow is beating The Hobbit , we can't let that happen , get over to the thread and give The Hobbit a vote .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition

2 weeks later
#8516 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

and don't have any pinball friends around to talk about it with.

That's why we're here .

#8542 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

otherwise the flipper appears to serve no purpose.

Personally I think the top Flipper has lots of uses . I like to use it to get both ramps , The Captive ball , the Balin and Radagast gobble holes , the dwarf drop targets , the three stand up targets , the mystery award , elf targets and stand ups and lock rollovers and is also handy to get it to the left flipper , bounce off the upper left sling , down to the kick back or wind Lance and the Beasts and up to the pops . This might not be enough for some but I think it's quite enough .
If people don't like a game fair enough , I don't like a lot of games which people love but when I hear people say there's nothing to shoot at , it plays to slow , it has long ball times , it's too hard to understand the rules , the top Flipper does nothing . I think people just don't understand it . It has some of the most shots I can think of on a modern pinball , if set up steep it plays really fast , how can long ball times on a fun game be a negative , the main rules of the game really easy to understand (once explained to you ) and the top Flipper can do a lot . The Hobbit one of the best pinball machines ever made .

#8544 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine is bolted to floor. It's the only pin I ever considered to be. Wife agrees too.

I only talked about what one Flipper can do . I didn't even talk about the theme immersion , the videos , the call outs , variety of modes the light shows the artwork the moments in the game . If you like the theme there's no reason why you wouldn't like this pin .

#8548 3 years ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I love this pin. Just confused about that top flipper! Next newb question:
Is there a secret to hitting the Elf and Man drop targets? I'm not sure how to hit those!

Nothing to be confused about the top Flipper just use it . For the elf and man targets , Use the tip of the flippers and multiball will usually take care of it .

#8551 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

nobody is saying they don’t like the game. I just felt the flipper didn’t do much, still don’t. Most times I just let the ball come down to the flipper for better control. Using that upper flipper puts the ball out of control. Even if you do hit the shot off that flipper, you've got to get it back under control.
I’ve had my game since they first came out, in fact it’s one of the developers games. Love mine, just not a fan of the flipper.

I didn't mean anything against you , and I think you have really great products . I just think the top Flipper can be used for a lot of things and you're more than allowed to say what you do and do not like about the game , I was just saying what I like about the game . We all love The Hobbit it's all good .

1 week later
#8593 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiltboss:

thanks for being the only person that defended me sorry u got downvoted. not even sure what that means. funny situation tho. people say “calm down” like im some raving mad man lol. I just can’t stand bs and the fact that he tried to say whatever he said to back peddle is just more insulting. like im buying it was alllllll just a bigggggg misunderstanding. and lloyd just is the sweetest most helpful dude pinball god on earth. and I MUST BE THE ONE IN THE WRONG no. lol. I get it we get in moods we get salty at least take responsibility for your words. (u know whats funny really i randomly dropped into some other thread and what do u know theres lloyd telling someone hes sorry he didnt mean to offend them after giving someone a smarmy ass answer re arcades closing down)
anyways im well over. thanks for sticking up for someone u dont know. more noble than most here who just okeedoke you. if i could upvote u 10 times i would. you know how these forum questions places get tho. ‍♂️

Come On Tilt boss , I could see why you were offended but Lloyd did apologise , whether you accept it or not , there's not much more he can do . With this Global crisis going on , it goes to show , life is too short to focus on negatives . I've had disagreements with some people on pinside but once I've got to know them , now I consider them good friends . Let the Lloyd thing go and enjoy all the good things about pinside .

1 week later
#8634 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have an LE and barely play it...
Wheres the best place to learn the shots and really start appreciating this game? thx

At your house .

#8648 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

being that you're from Australia, I can't bash you for that funny Comment as I love your Country and Melbourne is Awesome!!!! Cheers Mate

No worries , just being a bit cheeky . The guy below has a few good videos and Chuck Wurt also has a good one . Watch a few tutorials , play it a bit , and before you know it , you will understand it and enjoy it . Glad to hear you like Melbourne .

1 week later
#8666 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

For the record I consider myself an average player. I've had a couple almost 2 hour long games (I think just shy of 9 mil?)

Dammit !
I considered myself an average player , but my best is around 3mil , so that makes me a shit player . But I have killed Smaug quite a few times - and it never gets old .

4 weeks later
3 weeks later
#8827 3 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I want to attach an external subwoofer to my Hobbit. It looks like there is an open RCA connection on the sound board. It's the open socket rightmost in picture next to the yellow connection. Should I use that?
[quoted image]

Check out posts #6618 and #6698 . #6698 is the simplest way I've seen .

4 months later
#9388 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

can someone post a pic of their washed out translight? Mine does not look washed out, maybe because the lights added around the frame provide some contrasts and I used a warmer white strip on the top.
[quoted image]

My back glass doesn't look that washed out , but it was one of the last ones made .
Your LED strip is like an Easter egg revealing what it could be .

IMG_20201118_222719 (resized).jpgIMG_20201118_222719 (resized).jpgIMG_20201118_223043 (resized).jpgIMG_20201118_223043 (resized).jpg
#9405 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So you have a B.A. edition then? Maybe J.J. used warm white LEDs in later models for B.G. then?

It's an LE, one of the last runs .
( so I was told )

If anyone in Melbourne wants a LE let me know .

#9406 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, appreciate that!

Yours looks pretty good, just a little dark in the corners compared to mine. Your lettering looks good, nice and vivid.

You'll have to do a backbox LED strip for GNR .
The roses really need lighting up .

#9443 3 years ago

Does anyone bother replacing the 12-volt spot lights , mine constantly go out and same with all the other Hobbits I see .

#9445 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

I Got rid of the spottys, looks much cleaner. The pop up lights eliminates the need for them imho

I do like how they light up the trapdoors , makes them sort of look like they glow .

#9446 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Always always always power cycle after a code update - always.

I used to hear that a bit when I first got my game and I wondered what the hell does that mean .
Untill it was pointed out , turn game off and on

2 weeks later
#9467 3 years ago

What's the best stuff to use to clean the black crap off the rubbers .
I'm thinking detergent on a rag ( soapy water ) but is there anything better .
I did read somewhere to use lighter fluid and I also thought about methylated spirits but wouldn't that be corrosive on the rubber .

IMG20201210222134 (resized).jpgIMG20201210222134 (resized).jpgIMG20201210222149 (resized).jpgIMG20201210222149 (resized).jpg

#9477 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

In Australia, Mr Sheen. Use it for rubbers and playfield. Brilliant.

Thanks mate , I have some in the cupboard .

#9488 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

In Australia, Mr Sheen. Use it for rubbers and playfield. Brilliant.

I found some contact cleaner and decided to use that , it said it was non-corrosive , safe on plastic , left no residue and was fast drying .
The white rubber came up looking like new , same with the stand up targets and the Flipper rubbers are a lot better .
I just sprayed a little bit on a microfiber cloth and gave it a wipe and it came straight off .

IMG20201213171926 (resized).jpgIMG20201213171926 (resized).jpgIMG20201213200545 (resized).jpgIMG20201213200545 (resized).jpgIMG20201213200742 (resized).jpgIMG20201213200742 (resized).jpgIMG20201213202712 (resized).jpgIMG20201213202712 (resized).jpg
#9489 3 years ago

The N on my man Target won't pop up , the spring looks fine , it pops up during coil test and I can't see any broken ledge pieces .
Found these two screws in the cabinet , don't know if they have anything to do with it .

IMG20201213213540 (resized).jpgIMG20201213213540 (resized).jpgIMG20201213213608 (resized).jpgIMG20201213213608 (resized).jpg
#9491 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the brackets holding the coil that shoves it up. If the studs the nuts go on shear off, binds things quite nicely. Or broken coil sleeve.

That holds it when up, doesn't effect going up.

Black one looks like a coil stop screw ? The other one looks like it holds bracket on, one on either underside edge of the playfield with the post sticking out ?

Thanks as always Loyd , I'll check it out when I get home .

#9497 3 years ago

Black one looks like a coil stop screw ? The other one looks like it holds bracket on, one on either underside edge of the playfield with the post sticking out ?

You're the man Loyd .
The black one was a coil stop and the silver one went into the end of the rail , hard to see when the playfield was lifted up .

IMG20201214195726 (resized).jpgIMG20201214195726 (resized).jpgIMG_20201214_200947 (resized).jpgIMG_20201214_200947 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#9588 3 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

So, I guess that DWARF drop target bank was ripe for a rebuild... Three out of the five coil stops were completely broken off, only staying in place by virtue of the tightly packed nature of the assembly [quoted image]

Wow , how many games has was on it .

2 weeks later
#9642 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I see. 2-player co-op would be the bee's knees, if it ever could be done. A game with code this massive could really benefit from it.

Keith said he could program co-op in about an hour , if they wanted .

1 week later
#9701 3 years ago

The A on my man drop targets wasn't working , I checked the Springs , coils , connections , all of that stuff .
It turned out the wires were getting smashed on the bottom of the coil of the warg mech .
Probably worth a quick check to make sure the wires are clear .

#9707 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

killerrobots
One of the main things that sold me most on Hobbit was that it's got my favorite music in pinball. It just sounds great all the time. And I have heard (for example from Karl the IE Pinball guy) that some early build games had ramps with bad geometry that needed to be replaced. I'd just recommend playing/watching the one you get to make sure it's playing properly. ALSO - If you haven't seen this Buffalo Pinball vid between Kevin and Joe, it's what sold me on the game.

The Kevin and Joe video is excellent .
I didn't realise you could pick in the menu your attract mode , from Blinky lights or strobing .
I know most of the rules but still learning stuff , I didn't know if you drain ball , it spots you letter or a character .
Great to see two guys who helped come up with the rules , explain it all .
This game is freaking awesome .

2 weeks later
#9815 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Is there an external subwoofer connection on The Hobbit ??

You can plug it into the far-right hole on the back of the silver box or use a splitter where the red cable goes in , like I did . Type in subwoofer in keywords for more information .
The best upgrade you can do in my opinion .

IMG_20210222_231814 (resized).jpgIMG_20210222_231814 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#9961 3 years ago

It has been a week since my Hobbit Le has left the building . I'm pretty sad that is has gone but it was the only way I could afford GNR . Hopefully I can get enough money to have it back someday . Mine played fast and the flippers weren't mushy , it was the most immersive game I've ever played . I've never brought into the third Flipper was useless , there's over 20 things you can hit .
GNR better be worth it .
I did have it for over 3 years and sold it for 1k more than what I paid , I'm just sad to see it go .
I know people will hang shit on me but I rated it a perfect 10 .

#9962 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

On a side note, would like to know what JJP thinks of this.

Considering how much is in the game , if JJP wanted the gate there , they would have put it in .

#9966 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Getting rid of games you like is tough. Im in for a gnr as well but no space and dont want to sell any that I have. So...Im shipping off one of my games to one of my kids. Im sure the sting of it leaving will lessen with GNR. Good luck!

Im not so sure. They may rethink that position after so many people are pleased with this mod. But than again designers are less likely to approve of any new design they are not part of. Still,would like to know.

Thanks mate , I think I'm in for a lot longer wait than I initially thought .
Yep , lots of people seem happy with their gate mod , I just wouldn't consider one because I never felt ripped off by sdtm drains and the game wasn't designed that way , but each to their own , whatever makes you happy .

#10000 3 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

This game is incredible. Future classic for sure

It's a current classic , people just don't realise it

1 week later
#10065 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Are your screws really clockwise to tighten?
They are anti clockwise here.

I got a left-handed screwdriver , it makes the job a lot easier .

#10067 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I hate to modify games from how they are originally intended, but dies anyone notice that the flippers make cradling a ball super difficult? Is this my machine or all machines? I'd love it if it was just a wee easier to do so.

I had no problem cradling the balls on my game .

2 weeks later
#10150 2 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has picked up one of my Arkenstones. It's kept me incredibly busy for the last month.
I've gotten several requests for help installing the Arkenstone in Smaug's Hoard. It can be a bit challenging or more accurately, it's incredibly simple to install AFTER taking the gold lens out. It gets easier after doing it 3 or 4 times which I ended up doing to get these pictures on the process. This is the easiest way that I found. I tried removing the second light board instead of disconnecting it, but it was more difficult to screw it back in place than to reconnect plug.
This is my first run at documenting, critique welcome.
Bill Hanson[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Bill , I just received my arkenstone start button .
It looks great , I can't wait to install it and see it light up .

IMG20210413205829 (resized).jpgIMG20210413205829 (resized).jpg
#10152 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:It's a gorgeous addition to the game Did you already have Bill's "one ring" shooter rod?

No , I never had the Shooter Rod ring , unfortunately I had to sell the game , about a month ago .

#10167 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I agree! I wasn't sure about this game - it didn't grab me playing it in friends collections - but when I got it home and wrapped my head around it I really started appreciating it. It's a great game.

In my opinion it's definitely the most underrated jjp game .

3 weeks later
#10304 2 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

With so many modes to complete, this game is just begging for co-op play. I would take that over Scorbit, wi-fi, or bluetooth.
Do we need to do a Kickstarter to have Keith code that for us?

Quoted from GTO:

In all seriousness, JJP could charge for that type of update similar to video game DLC and I would buy it

Keith said it would take him about an hour to make it a co-op game .

3 months later
#10575 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I joined the club last month and am really enjoying the game. I haven’t read any rules yet,but am aware of certain objectives.
Can someone recommend a simplified approach to the game? Arm me with a few key objectives that I can use now before I dive deep into the rules and start really strategizing?
And what does it mean when shots (including the rollovers) turn red?

Zac explains the basics in this video .
The other guys posting have also done a great job explaining .

#10576 2 years ago

Couldn't find any new pinball podcasts today .
So I found this one , I remember we read it in primary school and I love the movies and I love the pin .
A good way to fill in 10 hours while you're at work or doing something else .

#10613 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

I can’t believe Hobbit is on the bottom of the list when it comes to JJP pins on the top 100. Seriously what gives? Do people actually play the game before they rank it?

I think it's the best mode based pin ever made , but that's just my opinion .

10 months later
#11414 1 year ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Hi All.
Sorry if this is the wrong space. Anyone have a quick and dirty break down of the shots required to kill Smaug. IE, 6 jackpots > 1 Super Jackpot and so on... also, what shots are the jackpots, and super etc for each stage?
Thank you in advance.

Hopefully this helps .

1 month later
#11477 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Does the LE come with a certificate from Jersey Jack stating what number you have like the Smaug Edition does?
Thanks.

Yep , don't leave it lying around so your dog can eat it

IMG_20220810_214059 (resized).jpgIMG_20220810_214059 (resized).jpg
#11479 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

If you need a copy I can copy mine and you can blend them on your scanner.

Thanks mate , sadly my Hobbit has left and the new owner didn't ask about it , so I didn't mention it
He knew he was a naughty boy , but how could I get angry at that face .

IMG_20220810_221913 (resized).jpgIMG_20220810_221913 (resized).jpg
#11484 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

This is a unrelated question to the above recent posts, but I am requesting help: If one looses the duplicate keys to the backbox lock (damn grandkid), what are my options? Call a locksmith & replace the lock, or drill out the lock & replace it? If you drill out the lock, what size bit do you use & how hard is it? Where does one get a replacement lock? On Amazon?
*** I also got a survey from JJP asking where I got info about my LE Hobbit's problems, remedies & repairs. I replied: "THE HOBBIT OWNERS THREAD on Pinside, esp., LTG!" What's admirable about LTG, he's still assisting on our thread & his replies are immediate, usually within 24 hrs. Thank you LTG!!!

I had the issue on a coin door , a 10 mil bit straight through the middle should be more than enough , they are easily available , just google.it .
I looked up , pinball coin door ball lock .

IMG_20220814_034708 (resized).jpgIMG_20220814_034708 (resized).jpg
#11488 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quick before the game launches another ball. Open coin door and leave open, pull the glass back, remove ball and stick in the shooter lane. Put glass and lockdown bar back.
As soon as you close the door it will shoot the ball into play.

And here I was placing the ball onto a cradled Flipper and putting the glass and lock down bar back one-handed

#11496 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

A couple weeks in of ownership. I find this machine, of all I’ve owned (which is only about 15 - 20 or so), improves my ability more than any other game. If I want to get anywhere, I MUST be able to control, aim and shoot. Exception being: keep multiball alive long enough to make accidental progress (which is a feature I sometimes like). I love the variety of the modes. I’ve made it to Into the Fire a few times. But no further. Still figuring it out. Haven’t read (usually don’t like to until much time has passed) any rules. I am very happy I picked this up FINALLY!

I think the game is such a great experience and has the best atmosphere in Pinball .
Make sure you have a subwoofer connected .

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Is there a line out in the machine for subwoofer or external Amp?

Yep

IMG_20220820_151556 (resized).jpgIMG_20220820_151556 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#11646 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

I would also like to mention and I may be in the minority but I kinda prefer the bigger video screen over the smaller Stern screens.

When it comes to TV's , bigger is better

2 weeks later
#11669 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy: Black arrow has black flippers
All I can think of at the moment.
Besides cab art differences

And black captive balls ?

2 weeks later
#11705 1 year ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

I am the original owner of this game and its been in the same place since. Never below 58 in the winter and never above 78 in the summer. These temp swings are very slow and would not be the cause. I dont know how long its been like this. I just noticed it last week. Wonder how many more are like this?

Ive read every post in this thread and you're the first to report this , just must be a dodgy one , see if you can get a replacement .

3 weeks later
#11750 1 year ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Looking for a source for the various versions of the TH that were made (first to last). Pros/cons between the versions. Lastly anything to look out for. I am usually a guy that likes later in the run, than early number releases because I think the factory learns as they go along (usually). I have a WoZ LE that I am looking to ultimately trade because it simply isn't getting the play anymore. Any insight of the machine compared to a WoZ would be appreciated as well.
Hope you guys all had a great holiday!
Dave

I had a RR WOZ , and pretty much brought it for the "wow" Factor .
I'm not a huge fan of the theme and it didn't have enough flow for me .
I sold it for a late run hobbit LE .
I absolutely loved the game , but after a few years I sold it to get a GNR LE .
If I had the money I would have definitely kept it .
If you like the theme , I can't recommend it enough .
Such an under rated game .

#11753 1 year ago

I keep hearing how different the gameplay is on TH and am looking forward to that. Good to hear that it is just cosmetic between the releases. Which releases came first though? Trying to get a feel for chronological ordering? Or at least machine #'s to avoid to keep with more current makes?
btw, my lineup if I go through with this will be TH, GnR LE, TZ, and original MM.

I think it went , standard , limited edition , Smaug gold , Black Arrow , I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong .

1 week later
#11768 1 year ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Anyone think that there could be some 3D printed protector for the two VUK holes? The right one is starting to take a little wear on mine and it’s not in the area that a Cliffy covers. Any thoughts?

I recall someone saying you could try some nail polish varnish .

1 month later
#11828 1 year ago
Quoted from skwal:

Dont know if i am the only one with this issue:
My beorn target never ever trigger to give me a ball back.
I went in testing and it s working properly, do you guys also have a piece of foam behimd?
Thanks

Same here , never worked , I don't think it's programed in .

1 month later
#11896 11 months ago

RIP Barry Humphries .
The Goblin King .
Probably best known for Dame Edna Everage .
A true Australian legend .

IMG_20230424_043753 (resized).jpgIMG_20230424_043753 (resized).jpgIMG_20230424_043902 (resized).jpgIMG_20230424_043902 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#11928 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well I got around to installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's. And you guys were right! It was a PITA! I like how I had to remove the 5 bank drop target assembly so I could remove the VUK assembly so I could get at the post nut under playfield to install the Balin Cliffy. I followed the advice given to me here and the job went extremely well! The 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets would not seal tight up against a block of hard wood so I used the butt end of my bench vice. I used the HANSON HT-174 HAND RIVET CLINCHER. There was a little flattening of the rounded top of the rivet, but it looks fine. I replaced all rubbers and waxed as well. Only thing left to do now is install beast door ball stops. amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Search ramp flaps , there's a bit of info , I'm sure people who have done it will offer advice .
Key posts are severely lacking in this thread .

1 week later
#11958 10 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I beat Smaug tonight! That was cool!

Best "moment" in pinball

#11962 10 months ago
Quoted from Days:

Hi! Am thinking about pimping my Hobbit, normally i use mirror blades , but for this piece of art am pondering some art blades, does anyone have the tilt graphics art blades so i can see how it looks inside the pinball machine? on his website i can only see the art blades but not inside the pinball machine.
[quoted image]
Am also open to other suggestions.
I googled for Hobbit art blades but only found 2

Personally , I think gold mirror blades would look sweet .

#11964 10 months ago
Quoted from Days:

Never saw golden, someone sells them?

They're out there , I got mine (black) a lot cheaper from KJS in Australia .
https://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html

#11974 10 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

What is KJS and can we still get them? I would love black mirrors on my JJP GnR and gold on Hobbit.
But at $285 a set.... Eesh.

KJS pinball is on Facebook but he's also here on pinside , I would message him KJS through here and see what you can do .
The black ones I got for GNR were perfect and were about $100 US , you would save on shipping as well getting two .

IMG_20230523_185616 (resized).jpgIMG_20230523_185616 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#12011 10 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

And I played all 31 modes (at least once, it was weird) and I only completed 8 of them.
Pictures of some final stats.

Did you miss starting "there and back again".
Did you contact KJS .

3 weeks later
#12069 9 months ago

Looking to trade my WoZ LE #404 for TH (LE/Black Arrow) +/- cash as needed. Hopefully finding someone in the Chicagoland area.
PM me if you or know someone who might be interested.
Dave

I sold my WOZ RR for a Hobbit LE , absolutely loved it .
Good luck with your Hunt .
You would have to be a dick to downvote your post .

#12081 9 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Or a mouse miss-click (true story)

No worries mate .
That makes a lot more sense than what I thought .

3 weeks later
#12227 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

As far as the sub goes, maybe a PinWoofer setup would be good for this game??

All you need is an external sub and it sounds unreal but a pinwoofer setup wouldn't hurt .

#12229 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah the owner before me had an external sub at one point but it wasn't included with the game. I am going to mess more with the EQ settings and see how good I can get it sounding.

The sub can be connected with one cord and no matter how much you fiddle with the equaliser it will never sound as good when Smaug is talking .
Find a second hand one for cheap , you don't need anything too Fancy .

#12231 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I honestly don't know if I am that invested in it all. Does it have to be a powered sub?

Yes a powered.sub and it's totally worth it .

#12247 8 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You all got me wanting this sub. I have a spare but I guess I need and rca splitter on top plug?

I went with a splitter but apparently you can just plug it into the last imput/ hole on the right .

IMG_20230716_022658 (resized).jpgIMG_20230716_022658 (resized).jpg
#12268 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Can you take a picture or be more direct on the "hole on the right"?

Checkout Post # 6698
Go to find in topic at the top of the page , type in RCA cable and select image .
It's the second post .

IMG_20230716_224645 (resized).jpgIMG_20230716_224645 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12349 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

So all and all, it seems like you have most of your bases covered.

Yep , and I don't think it needs pin stadiums

#12352 8 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I've even considered removing the lower spot lights.

I like how the spotlights light up the Trap doors but like WOZ the 12 volt LEDs kept going out .

#12383 7 months ago

My le was 1272 out of 1500 .
Doug ate my certificate

IMG_20230806_033629 (resized).jpgIMG_20230806_033629 (resized).jpgIMG_20230806_033608 (resized).jpgIMG_20230806_033608 (resized).jpg

#12385 7 months ago

Dogs name is Doug?

Yes it is , and he lives up to his name

#12388 7 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

700 Le
150 BA
So 1900 total

Did you not see my number on the certificate of 1500 LEs
Even if half switched over doesn't mean they didn't sell all the LE's
Just because some GNRs are still available doesn't mean they haven't built them all .

1 week later
#12441 7 months ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I got the mirrored gold blades only to find out my cab is too tight for them. So now I'm pondering if it's possible shave off 1mm of the inside cab. It sounds like a terrible idea, but I'm not one to easily give up! Thoughts?

I got black mirror blades for GNR and I thought they would be too tight . With the Playfield up , I pushed it across to one side as much as I could and then squeezed in both mirror blades and the protectors , to check the gap . Really try before you start attacking your cabinet .
If you have no choice , I would go with an orbital sander .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider screaminr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.