Topic Stats

• 7,698 posts
  • 506 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 minutes ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,115 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191019_165519 (resized).jpg
thorin_pinside3_8e6865a6-4876-41f9-b3e4-bdf343de74dc_large (resized).jpg
20191018_094742 (resized).jpg
20191018_092014 (resized).jpg
20191018_143112 (resized).jpg
DSC_0004 (resized).JPG
DSC_0002 (resized).JPG
DSC_0003 (resized).JPG
DSC_0001 (resized).JPG
20190930_142733 (resized).jpg
3AB4FCA1-9B0A-47E3-A410-199B753BCACA (resized).jpeg
received_311232306261863 (resized).jpeg
20190917_192204 (resized).jpg
hob2 (resized).jpg
hob1 (resized).jpg
20190910_204154 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (3 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by Troz (3 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (3 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (3 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (3 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (3 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (3 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (3 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #1113 Noteworthy new owner issues and photos Posted by VolunteerPin (3 years ago)

Post #1358 JJP video on fix kit. Posted by tatapolus (3 years ago)

Post #1706 example of time marks order through delivery Posted by meSz (3 years ago)

Post #2007 Here's the code download link Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #2220 How to install Hobbit Cliffy protectors Posted by mbelofsky (3 years ago)

Post #3613 Nice tip on locktite product for wood or metal screws. Posted by pinballinreno (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Wow, did the lead programmer just tell us bug fixes are coming, but no drastic changes are planned and if you don't like TH buy something else? Much respect. Ballsy, but gotta respect his mic drop.

I thought that was a very diplomatic way of saying "it's DI time..." and notice he dropped the fact that they are working on code for game 4 AND 5. Still want a TH...

1 month later
#3688 2 years ago

Just joined the club on Monday!

I'm loving this game. I am having one intermittent problem - when the ball trough kicker tries to send a ball to the shooter lane, it takes about 10 or more tries to get the ball up. Frequently it tries a bunch of times, then does a ball search, the ball finally enters the lane, and then is immediately auto-launched into the game! Makes it really hard to do a skill shot. Anybody have a suggestion? Is this just me?

#3690 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

try adjusting the kick out power, or bend the metal piece that controls the direction of the ball that is kicked out. Should be able to get it not to do that.

Ok thanks, I knew I could adjust the coils, but that didn't cross my mind for some reason. Thanks!

#3692 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok thanks, I knew I could adjust the coils, but that didn't cross my mind for some reason. Thanks!

No dice. I adjusted the coil WAY down, still happening - It seems like maybe the apron is somehow blocking the ball at times. Maybe I'll see if it needs to be adjusted

#3695 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Don't you want to adjust it UP? (not down?)
On mine, I had to boost the power of this coil also (by a couple units I think).
I also had to boost the balin VUK coil up 2 units.
I also boosted the right flipper coil by 2 units, to be able to backhand the right metal ramp.
My game is set at about 6.8 degrees.

No, the problem is the ball is hitting the apron and bouncing back into the trough. I adjusted it down and it helped, but it still bounces down about half the time. The auto-launch is the really annoying part.

I guess I could try to adjust it up, but I don't want the ball to damage the apron if it's rocketing out of there too fast. Now it is sort of nicely depositing the balls on the shooter lane, and multiball hasn't been an issue.

The right ramp is really hard to hit with the right flipper - I will try that change too.

One other thing I am having an issue with is the right wireform - when the ball comes down into the inlane, it almost ALWAYS bounces out and drains. It is really annoying - I played 3 games this morning and in all 3 I lost a ball to that. IS that one of the fixes JJP offers?

#3699 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Oh man. I have the same (damn) problem. Super-frustrating!
I was told to bend the "O" part of the wireform UP (towards the ceiling and back of the machine). I'm going to try that next.
(thanks Pimp77, wrote before I read your post)

Thanks to both of you! It makes it even worse when it bounces out and you hear damn Gollum go "Thief!"" -YEAH-

#3707 2 years ago

2.0 code is awesome - just for context, how long has it usually been in-between updates? I think I understand now why some are saying this game still feels a bit "unfinished" though. Just curious how long in between

#3712 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

You're right there dude. Expo is October I think? If that's the case then now is the right time to get Hobbit finished and then carry on tweaking DI and JJP4. All we can do as owners is keep the attention on the game by giving constructive feedback, I get the feeling if owners don't comment JJP won't give it priority.
Yeah I never updated my WOZ due to the twinkling and sepia TNPLH lights - not very masculine to admit that I know!!

I have to agree - if there's no update before Expo, it will be another year probably. I finally made it to the Barrels the other day, but almost immediately drained. Such a fun game! Trying to control myself from putting an order in for DI...

#3744 2 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

My particular jump drive would not allow the foward slash as part of the root menu. So I just named the file pinballimages. The machine found it right away and accepted it.
Going to experiment with it later today (having a pinball party tomorrow!). It accepted both images on the jump drive but only shows one of them during Attract. So not sure if the custom graphics are limited to one image, despite downloading both. And when I go back to the utility menu, neither are there.
So it appears to accept multiple images, but only shows the first. Once downloaded they are in the system and unable to be viewed or selected. Could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing at the moment.

It will only show one image at a time - if you select more than one, you'll only see the latest one you picked

2 weeks later
#3758 2 years ago

Has anybody figured out what issue the upgraded left wireform is addressing?

On my game the right hand wireform is the one which causes unfair drains FAR more often. I've bent it up a bit but it's still happening occasionally. I'm a little tentative to really bend it a lot, in case the weld won't hold.

Anyway so what's the left one helping with?

#3764 2 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

After 2 years finally defeated Smaug...flippers went dead, watched the screen. It was amazing!! Wish I knew what I did would like to do it again.

whoa! Congratulations. Played for about 45 minutes today and had the worst games since I've owned it. Never even made it to the Barrel level. Damn modes!

#3768 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

No shit? Thanks! Never noticed, too busy staying alive.

Never noticed that either, very cool detail! I am having the hardest time completing ONE mode lately, can get the other 4 items easily almost every game, but ...OMG I always end up with one of those modes where you need to nail a single Elf target. Guess I should write down some of the easier damn modes

#3770 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You can cancel the pending mode via the lockbar button before hitting the ramp.
After hitting the mode/book ramp you can use the flippers to select different modes while the ball is on the wireform.
They will be listed on the playfield screen.

I know, I do it all the time - I'm just not familiar enough with which modes to know the ones I can finish; some of them are super easy "hit the right ramp" and the others go in and on and on and on...

1 week later
#3786 2 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

OH. MY. GOD. I have just under 1000 games on my machine and I had NO CLUE that I could do this, I thought you had to hit the ramp each time you wanted to change modes. Then I could never get to the modes I really wanted to do as feeder modes. YOU HAVE JUST CHANGED MY LIFE.

Wait I didn't know this either. So you have from the time the ball is on the ramp to when it lands on the playfield again? I could not get this to work earlier..

#3788 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Yes. Shoot the left ramp and use the flippers to change the selected mode. If you want to start the mode that is selected, shoot the right ramp if it is lighted red. If the right ramp is lighted green, hit the lockbar button to cancel the lock first. The ramp lighting will change to red. This only works if the lockbar button is lit. If it is not lit, shoot the ball around a bit (I mostly shoot it into the bumpers) and it will light rather quickly.
Great game.

Oh, I get it now. I was trying to change the mode after hitting the right ramp.

#3794 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Choosing the modes. Must admit I wasn't aware of this until a few months into ownership. The Hobbit really is a fantastic piece of work. Some great coding and integration of theme here. The new code keeps making it better.

I have been playing MMr quite a lot recently, which is a much more - maybe not 'deep', but has a lot more modes than I thought. I sort of think of WOZ as the next level of TZ, and likewise TH the next level of MM. Sure, there's no castle, but there are still a lot of similarities. I've been going through "if I can only keep one of the two games..." type of thinking. TH blows it away in almost every capacity.

#3804 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Anyone else get lots of computer noise through their speakers as it is booting up and a constant static hum? Any way to eliminate this?

Open the game up and look for a magnetic isolator; it looks like a black cube clamped around the speaker wire. If you can't find one, get one The game should have come with one but they can fall off.

If that doesn't help order a ground loop eliminator (RCA cable style) from amazon and plug it into the back of the computer where the speaker plug in, then plug the speakers into that

#3806 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Will this work?

Yep that's one of the pieces I was talking about; it's worth a try but there's no guarantee it will do it perfect. The sound you are hearing is because some wire in the speaker chain is no insulated well enough (same
Wire on all games) and your wire must be too close to the computer

See if you have that other magnetic clamp cube I mentioned in the cabinet

#3819 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Ground loop isolator came in. Completely eliminated the annoying noise from the computer and the whine through the speakers. Thanks for the info!

yay! Glad to hear it!

#3820 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Make sure the playfield hasn't landed on the start button switch and pulled it back out of the button housing a bit - lean in and look left and see if the switch needs to be snapped back into place.

Yup, just push on it a little bit from inside the cab

1 week later
#3854 2 years ago

Lit Battle of the 5 Armies tonight, with a decent score (1.8million i think)... have not killed Smaug, need to figure that out... still love this game

#3856 2 years ago
Quoted from mima:

Four Smaug multiballs, and at the start of the fifth (that you start slightly different) you kill Smaug and get a pretty nice "trophy" for that, both how the game acts and the video-sequence that follows. It is actually harder than it sounds.

Gotcha - I do not remember if I got to a 5th Smaug multiball. Obviously not. So it doesn't have anything to do with the 3 stages (i.e. Into the Fire, Barrels, etc.)

I wonder if there are secrets that have not been found yet? What happens if you complete all the modes? anybody done that?

#3862 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I appreciate your attempt to better explain how to kill Smaug, but I am left with questions. What is a "stage"? What am I supposed to do and how do I know when and how to do it? Is the machine telling me what to shoot for? When it comes to hitting the Man and Dwarf targets, do I need to drop them all or only hit one? This game is fun, but about as un-intuitive as any game I have ever played. I never know what to do, apart from a few basic shots like multi-ball and the basic arkenstones. Actually I am still unsure how to achieve the Arkenstone at the very top. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Never know why.
Also, everyone talks about the various modes and changing them by shooting the left ramp, but I have no idea what is required for the various modes. The machine doesn't seem to call out what shots to try for. Any tips there?

The machine does 2 things to tell you what shots to hit during a mode: they are very clearly listed on the main screen, and the game lights flashing red inserts like every other game. Some of hte confusion is in that you can have several things going on at once, and you do need the main screen to clarify sometimes.

It is definitely hard to pick up on from the screen in the middle of playing, so you do have to be familiar with the modes a little bit, or cradle the ball while you look up and get your bearings. the game also allows you to complete a mode while in a Multiball, but it's tough.

My god, that description of killing Smaug tells me I need to get a HELL of a lot better at this game! How in the hell can you shoot precise shots during the multiball craziness! lol

#3868 2 years ago
Quoted from mima:

Cool, thanks for clarifying. I was not playing well enough then as it took me 5 Smaug Multiballs to do it. And it explains why i thought my last multiball started differently. Awsome with people that actually knows the rulset

This is all completely news to me - I thought you killed Smaug after Battle of the 5 Armies, which doesn't make sense from a story standpoint

#3871 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I really think that the value and perceived rank of The Hobbit will improve over time when more and more people spend time with it to understand it. It is the good and bad of a deep rule set.

100% agree - every time I play it I am frustrated I didn't get farther, but I keep going back for "one more game..."

#3875 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I wish. But with JJP wanting to impress with JJP4 I am guessing its been all hands on deck with that as a priority, a then Hobbit final code will come after that.

Are we expecting they will do a reveal at expo this year? Doesn't mean the game will flip yet, I suppose

#3877 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yeah, confirmed reveal in 2 weeks
I believe in the same fashion as dialed in.
Why do you think Keith has finsihed up Hobbit?

There is at least an INTENT to add at least one more mode/stage/etc, as the file system has a folder called (if i recall correctly) "there and back again"

#3881 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Thanks to all who helped explain - especially Rarehero and Crile1! I now can begin to understand what must be done to progress through the game.
A suggestion to anyone from JJP who might be reading along: Why not have a software option for something like "Old School Mode" or something like that, which the owner can select to drastically simplify the requirements to move from level to level? This would be for those younger players, or less skilled players who might play for a long long time without ever succeeding in doing everything needed to kill Smaug for example? Let the game default be as programmed, but let the rules be able to be simplified with the selection of a software option for those who don't need or want the great depth and complexity available to them in the standard game.
I'm guessing a lot of Hobbit owners who get frustrated and sell their games quickly might find a simpler Hobbit quite enjoyable when they don't have to play through stage after stage after stage to get to the "good stuff"! And the better players can still have the depth they want. Just a thought....

You can install "easy" difficulty in the menu, just like most DMD games

#3884 2 years ago

Killed Smaug tonight!! First time I ever got it, thanks to the descriptions you guys gave. Completely -entirely - a fluke. I just kept trying to set up Smaug multiball and on the second or third one I had enough jackpots/supers to do the final shot, and I happened to have a ball rolling down to the flipper, the middle dwarf target suddenly lit, and I nailed it!

So cool the flippers go dead and it plays that whole sequence. You miss SO much in this game because you have to keep your head down, i think they should build in more little sequences like that!

Then of course I just totally drained out on the last ball, really bad. Didn't even start Into The Fire

1 week later
#3892 2 years ago

Holy crap, great score! Your one and only game!? Screw you dude!! lol

At this poiint in the game code, killing Smaug is more like the 'ultimate' objective. There is supposed to be a wizard mode "there and back again" but it is not yet implemented. This game rules. Obviously yours is too easy!!! Mine still occasionally drains the ball when it spins out from the right wireform, which is INFURIATING

#3900 2 years ago

The game is so long it can be so frustrating when you "almost" kill Smaug or almost complete an arkwnstone mode - that's the "one more game" effect for me!!

#3903 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Good info. Took that approach and finally got to the battle of 5 armies. Finished that and killed Smaug on the next multiball. Balls flying everywhere and then silence, lights off, flippers dead, and a big ass dragon taking a dive into the water with a “Smaug is dead”. Quite an adrenaline shot for me. Finished with 3,557,904, a new Grand Champion at this house by 700k.

Great score!!

#3905 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I loved this game before, but the more I play it the more I realize I will never get rid of it. Absolute genius design.

It's the non-fan layout. Some people love it, some people hate it...

#3908 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Playing this game at shows always left me underwhelmed and not really caring to play it again. Having it in a home environment has let me learn the ins and outs of the game and truly appreciate it for the great game it really is. I believe it is even better then LOTR, can't believe I just said that!

now THAT is a strong statement!

#3911 2 years ago

Any thoughts/news on code updates?

#3917 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, POTC looks incredible. I want to buy one but cannot go through with an order with the current state that Hobbit code is in. JJP is promising a super wizard mode for POTC but us Hobbit owners have been waiting 1 year + for its promised super wizard mode.
Has anyone heard anything out of Expo about Hobbit code?

It seems extremely likely - for whatever reason the hobbit gets a lot of S from people but it's still a very fun pin - it's not as feature-filled as DI but that's now reflected in the price

Anyway there was a HUGE update back in June I think, which included placeholders for that final mode. I don't know how many Black arrows they sold but that certainly factors in. JJP hasn't let buyers down yet - WOZ still gets updates for goodness sake!

#3926 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I wouldn’t attempt to speak for Keith but seriously you don’t think it’s coming? Black Arrow just went back on the line. And Keith loves the lore.

They started producing black arrows again? Fascinating... get that code ready keith!! Such an awesome game

#3950 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

But here is where I need help. How in the HELL does the ball have so much spin that it exits my right wire ramp, and spin itself right over to the drain? Has anyone put a rubber stopper of some sort to kill that spin? Nothing like having a great game and losing more than 1 ball this way. Makes me wanna smash the glass.....just a little.

Man this drives me crazy too -

What you want to do is bend the top part of the end of the wire form UP. That is, the circular part where the ball gets all the spin- bend that up so there is more distance between the top and bottom of the wire form. Leave the Lower part of the wire form alone. you are "opening the mouth wider" so to speak. Works - I had to do mine 3 or 4 times to get it right, it seems like you are WAY over-bending it at first but as long as you go slow and don't break the weld it will be perfectly fine.

You can insert a screwdriver or nut driver in between the top and bottom of the wireform and use it as a lever to drive them apart. Cover the screwdriver with tape or a rag so it doesn't scratch

#3953 2 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Mind spins off the right wireform all the time too and onto the playfield. Thanks for the thorough instructions. Gonna try it again – but it's so scary! Feels like I'm going to snap the dang thing in half.

Yep, I know what you mean - just go slow and dont scratch anything!

#3955 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yeah no kidding. Mine only required approximately 1mm of lift. You don't really need a lot of bending to fix this issue. Well, in my case.
What an odd design flaw though eh?
I was thinking that wrapping a small piece of something rubber-like on the metal may also soak spinning energy out of the equation...

Mine Seemed like it needed a lot more than that - but I bet Its still only 2 or 3mm. Sometimes if I hit a perfect shot onto the right ramp it will still spin out, but far far less than before. I'm sure a rubber would help but it wouldn't look as cool!

2 weeks later
#4025 1 year ago
Quoted from Buju:

Le owner here. It sits right next to Lotr for that extra super geeked out experience. As of recent I have been buying into the hate, because let's face it people either love or hate our game. There is no medium ground. Buddy who hates hobbit comes over, and has best game he's ever had on the table. On and on he goes about his dislike prior to going for near a mill score. When I'm calling the shots for him explaining " shoot here, hit this" spotting it up for his money ass I see the lightbulb go off in his head. DING! Goes the bell in his mind and I can hear his brain saying "wow this game gives it to me like I want it". There is something special about this game when you invest the time it takes to get full enjoyment. Flip on brothers and sisters

100% agree.. well said

5 months later
#4665 1 year ago
Quoted from badblackz:

I couldn’t agree more. This is not a tournament game, so I’m not sure why they’re focusing on scoring strategies. The mentioned star system doesn’t excite me at all. I play for the immersive experience, which is amazing. They just need to make it more cohesive and remove some of the linearity of the game.
I really wish they would let the player decide which Arkenstone Mode they go after and change it so you have to play the regular modes associated with that movie/Arkenstone Mode to qualify it. Maybe increase the number of modes required to start it from 1 to 3 and remove something else from the main 5 qualifiers (feast and/or beast frenzy). This would make you play more of the modes with purpose.

I wonder if the stars give you “credit” for other modes so that you can complete them without literally having to play through all 31. Otherwise the game would last hours and hours. I’ve played for at least 50
Minutes (!!) and still not even completed half the modes, but did make it to Battle of the 5 Armies

1 month later
#4843 1 year ago

It is pretty amazing how great TH sounds out of the box.. it is miles beyond DI which came out so much later. Truly Immersive.

#4895 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

I would like some advice... I have a set of gold side mirrors from Pinball Side Mirrors. I was going to install them on my LOTR but think they would look better on Hobbit. Does anybody know if these would fit a JJP machine?
Would be nice to get these in ready for the the new code!

Stern and JJP/WPC blades aren’t compatible; I believe it’s because the Stern blades don’t have the hinge holes. So if you bought them for LOTR, that’s where you’ll want to install them..

#4946 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is the game officially out of production? That is often the main item to consider for the used market, more so than code (though they both play a role).

Not exactly the answer to your question, but There is still supply in-house at distributors of the Black Astrow edition, and st least one or two have the Smaug version still in stock.

2 weeks later
#5117 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Different cabinet art
Black armor
Black flipper bats
Black rubbers
One "black arrow" ball (normally installed behind the captive ball)
Black arrow splash screen
Has all other le/smaug features
I sold my personal le and picked up an black arrow. I really like the overall package.

Does the black arrow have any special video or animation on the screen, like the LE does?

#5120 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

LE doesn't have any special animation. Black Arrow does, similar to Smaug and RR WOZ. Just a little extra animation. Personally, I prefer the LE hammered bronze armor and art better than the black armor and BA art package. And don't really care for the black captive ball (hard to see). That is why I went with the LE. But it's nice to have options because we all like what we like.

Sorry, Smaug is what I meant - is it the same video on BA or something new?

1 month later
#5251 1 year ago

Pretty sure I am re-joining the club, had LOTR and sold it in a few months, really regret losing Hobbit!

#5259 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

No no. Linux and manufacturers already have drivers for sound cards that are not on-board.
What I am saying is that the JJP Linux build probably doesn't include them in their deployment, therefore rendering your add-on card useless.
Know what I mean?

If I can jump in here, I absolutely recommend you do NOT try to replace the video card. If the drivers are not included (best bet is NVidia, as AMD’s Linux drivers break all the time), then you will lose them as soon as you update. I tried this with WOZ and in adding an apron-mounted screen. The game I had required a driver update to support the proper resolution on both screens - It sorta worked but was such an unbelievable PITA I ended up ripping it out. It was cool when it worked but update and -bam - gone.

#5262 1 year ago
Quoted from TomN:

Kind of what I thought it would be like. One can only hope for zero mainboard failures. Did I just jinx myself?

Well the good news on that is that a lot of things are much more easily emulated these days. I don't know what the hardware is inside the CPU on these games, but there will likely one day be a solution, and it's MUCH easier to program these things. However, the stuff just doesn't last as long as the old boards. They are hotter, made with cheaper parts, more poorly soldered... I just had a motherboard fail on a computer we use daily but which basically just sits around and uses 1% CPU for a few hours a night, that's it. Then one day - BAM- motherboard dead. I'm replacing it tomorrow.

#5267 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I haven't seen what you are describing in years. The mobos that JJP use are top notch.

Absolutely! I'm sorry, I was making a general statement - computer motherboards by and large are very cheap - I should have clarified I was not talking specifically about JJP's stuff

#5269 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Pinphila has a nice HUO WOZ RR for $7500 he will sell you...

I wonder if he's interested in Scared Stiff? I have one for trade

1 week later
#5286 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What does attempt backstab with the ring button do ?

It lets you attempt to hit one of the beasts so you
Can get through A Beast attack quicker, but it doesn't always work so beware!

#5294 1 year ago

Has anyone ever tried to rotate the top of the pop bumper that has the barrel with Thorin on it? It bugs me that you can’t see him at all, and I don’t want to just start dumping figures on the playfield a la LOTR

#5298 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I heard Jack's saying when you hit the bumpers drops of water would go over the small LCD screen ,whatever happened to that.

3.0!

#5313 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Opposite of what should happen I would think is shorter ball times WITH center. It's that what you mean?

Yes, the center post is apparently counterproductive. This may be the case across the board, ironically (Except in John Trudeau games). Every game I have played which has a center
Post saves as many balls as it traps, especially when the ball bounces off the post at an odd angle and is flushed violently from the flipper recoil

#5340 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Hi all,
I've taken delivery of a lovely Hobbit se today, going through the usual post delivery health check and smaug's head won't turn or move his mouth. His max left and right optos are both activated even with his head somewhere inbetween with optos visibly unbroken by the tab that moves with smaug's head. I've unplugged and reseated all cables that I think are related, im assuming something has come loose in transit but any suggestions where to go next gratefully received.....[quoted image][quoted image]

Make sure your coin door is closed when you test! I can’t tell you how many times I did that..

#5343 1 year ago

Ok guys, I am having that issue with the ramp where the ball exits and then spins out into the outlane. I already bent up the wireform (quite a bit) and am looking for other ideas. foam? A rubber? Help me out here.

#5348 1 year ago

If the bottom end loops of the wireforms are at a 30 degree angle up from the playfield, the ball spin will end up being lateral and the ball will rattle in the lane instead of spinning out and up.
So, the bend has to be substantial enough to do this.
The upper loop doesn't have to be bent at all unless you just want to match them up.
It's easy to jam a 1/2" nutdriver in it and force it up as necessary from the top.

Hmmm... you know i think I bent the TOP part of the wf.. I will try the bottom!

#5351 1 year ago

Reporting back - have not had any further balls rolling out, so I think we are good!

New issue though - I did a factory reset, and now the game will not auto-launch. The lane switch works fine, the coil to launch the ball works in test.. but it never launches during the game! This is particularly annoying in multiball .. is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust?

Thx

#5360 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Reporting back - have not had any further balls rolling out, so I think we are good!
New issue though - I did a factory reset, and now the game will not auto-launch. The lane switch works fine, the coil to launch the ball works in test.. but it never launches during the game! This is particularly annoying in multiball .. is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust?
Thx

Anybody have a thought on this? Ball in trough, it ejects. Ball in shooter lane, auto-fire does not fire. Fires in test. Switch registers in test. .... what should i test next?

#5362 1 year ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Does the switch show as closed with the ball resting in the shooter lane? Sounds like there's difference between activating it with your finger and having the ball trigger it.
--Ted

I will verify. Thanks Ted Let this game go once and I am so happy to have it back. 2.96 is crazy fun! You have to stop making these awesome games, Ted, I am now on the lookout for a Demolition Man!

#5369 1 year ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Ok so I've put maybe 100 games on my Hobbit so far. Going to give a few early impressions and seeking feedback.
One of the biggest draws for me to enjoy a game long term is scoring. I can't quite wrap my head around Hobbit scoring just yet. On medium difficulty, no center post and difficult outlanes - a fair game for me is around 300k. I'm not sure how to blow up this game except for linear progression through smaug multiballs and a wizard mode. At any point I don't feel like there is an opportunity for any mind blowing scoring shot.
What does super x do? I don't seem to have much control over that.
Help me understand.

I don’t believe there is a huge jackpot super duper shot, other than killing Smaug. You have to kinda hack away at things. Treasure hunt during Smaug multiball and the victory laps after into the fire/barrels/ 5 armies are also pretty good scoring, but there’s no major 1 shot “JACKPOT!!!!” like say the piano shot in TZ multiball

My son said to me this morning “I really like that game...” which he has never said to me before about ANY game

#5374 1 year ago

The game is all about mode completions and mode combos plus mode multipliers.
It's the strategy that draws me in.
If it were as simple as "Hit this big flashing light for big points", it would get old real fast.
The beauty of this game is that no 2 games will ever be the same and I find out more everytime I play.

I just got this game back after a 7 or 8 month hiatus, and I am enjoying it WAY more than Houdini and Dialed In; I hope there are some updates soon to those two awesome games, but Hobbit is SO improved it is just incredible. You said it, no 2 games are the same, and I can’t think of another game that so well blends story and goals so well.

For example, I love all 3 games mind you, but Dialed In is great for story but it is very similar game to game, Houdini has lots of goals but I find it lacking in any sort of meaningful progression that ties it together. They are all fun but IMO Hobbit ties it together expertly

#5376 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

"treasure hunt during Smaug multiball and the victory laps after into the fire/barrels/ 5 armies "
Can you explain how to get these and what they are?

You have to complete the stuff on the screen for into the fire (rescue 15 companions, hit 4 wargs, etc) and in Smaug you have to hit through all the fire-colored targets, and eventually it will turn to treasure hunting mode

#5377 1 year ago

While we’re on the topic, can somebody refresh my memory on how to kill Smaug?

#5379 1 year ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hey Rdoyle1978 - I only have about 80 games on my HB, and 50% plus I've never finished the game as I didn't know what was going on or I felt bored.
Haven't installed new code yet, but does it really make that much of a difference? Thx Tony

Stop what you’re doing and install it right now! The new code makes it much more of a shooter’s game, and the beast multi ball which kind of took over the game before is much more balanced. It really does improve the game a huge amount.

I felt that way about the game a while back, liking not loving the game, and installing 2.95 completely changed it, it’s much more of a quick game to get achievements, although you can certainly go for much longer.

The game felt like multi ball all the time before, now you can plan things out better, and the modes are important for good scores. It doesn’t shoot all ultra-smooth like DI does, but it’s not supposed to. I think the latest code still feels like an adventure/journey, and you occasionally feel like you’ve been ambushed and are in the middle of a battle, which is what I think they were trying to convey.

#5382 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I didn't own this game before the update but I still would like mb toned down a little. Specifically don't put me in a mode with smaug bc my modes will be mb if you lock them via orbit Wich happens all the time. I know you can disable this which is fine but I like them during mode play only. What I want is no modes allowed during smaug or beast. I would also like music for beast but that's not critical.
This game does a better job allowing itself to breath but I would still want it to breath just a little more. Pressing the ring button during smaug to cancel doesn't seem like the best solution either.
Underrated game if the year no doubt though

You don’t think it’s a good idea to stack modes?

#5384 1 year ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Personally, I would never want modes to stop during Beast and Smaug MB. I think it's integrated pretty well and allows me to get through a lot more modes on the way to TABA. It's just enough chaos. Without it, it would take 2 hours to complete a game. If it was easily implemented I wouldn't mind it as an option (that I would never use).

That’s a relatively good description of what the game used to be like actually. I easily put 45 minute games on it before - it was just a bit too much

#5387 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not sure what you mean about stacking modes. I was talking about modes and smaug or beast at the same time. I like to focus on one thing at a time.

Sorry, stack multiballs I meant. Beast MB is a mode too

#5395 1 year ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Actually sometimes when playing the mini wizard modes and Smaug multi ball further into the game, I'm shouting at the playfield as it does feel you are battling the enemy. Great code.. Great game.. Should be a top 10 pin now..

Do you mean the mini wizard modes into the fire/Barrell escape / 5 armies? Or are there others I’m not aware of?

#5417 1 year ago

Guys, the started modes are color, the completed ones are b&w

I do think it would be good to have the started modes marked clearly on the BOOK. Not sure what difference it makes though, there’s no wizard mode for starting/completing all the book modes

#5430 1 year ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Complete (start) all 31 book modes to get to the new Wizard mode There and Back Again.

Oh, duh that’s right. I remember Ted saying that there’s no wizard mode for COMPLETING; sorry got mixed up!

#5441 1 year ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

One shot away from killing smaug. I finally appreciate the side flipper.

I use that flipper all the TIME to manage runaway balls and bricked shots. This game is SO damn good now. I can’t stay away from it

#5443 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I agree I've had the pin for about a month now and I don't understand why people said that the Flipper is useless like you say I use it all the time and it's really good for a sneaky ratagast shot.

Can you make it in that right hole with the upper right flipper? I’ve never been able to do it

#5449 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I use the right flipper all the time to divert the ball to the left side (instead of the right)
To hit the captive ball shot - I seem to do a better job with the top flipper than the bottom flipper (odd I know)
To hit the dwarf targets if they are needed and the time is short
To hit the top beasts when they are up.
While it isn't absolutely necessary for a shot I am glad they kept at least 1 of the upper flippers - I would rather have a flipper than another sling.

That’s pretty much all what I use it for. Plus mystery.

Occasionally the ball will accidentally go up the left ramp as well but I don’t think this is a reliable shot.

#5453 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Stepped up to my game tonight a bit miffled as I still hadn't managed to kill Smaug after about 1.5 years of ownership...
First two balls drained quick but I soldiered on. The third ball seemed enchanted and I quickly won two extra balls. Played Smaug MB once and got pretty far, then Into the Fire. Managed to play Smaug MB a second time and I looked up to see I was on the kill shot! Loaded up the right flipper and boom! So happy to see the 'Dragon Slayer' title at long last, and a hair away from BOTFA which I've never seen yet.
Amazing game.

I have only done it once but it is SO cool! Not sure there is another game this amazing. Well... Dialed In

#5471 1 year ago

Thanks for re-posting that; I had completely forgotten you can switch book modes
For a moment after hitting the ramp!

#5473 1 year ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but feel too lazy to try and find it.
Where does the game display the number of extra balls you have saved up during your game? Is that a setting I have to turn on?
I never know how many are in reserve.
Thanks.....

Doesn’t it show it real big on the main screen before you
Plunge?

2 weeks later
#5491 1 year ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

You’ve not been keeping up - new code for DI is being streamed on Monday!

#5502 1 year ago
Quoted from Jpp718:

So NIB is still going to run you 8500$

I haven't seen too many Black Arrow games for sale used - most of them are the Smaug LE, FWIW. I like that one,, and it's obviously the same game, but Black Arrow does have some cool artwork, and the black balls...

#5515 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The added call outs in the 2.97 build are great - but yeah a spotter is still nice to have.
I hear several new custom callouts from Gandalf. I wonder if JJP went back to the voice actor for some more content?

I am pretty sure there are also new callouts pulled from the movie too. The Goblin king maybe? I forget what I was playing last night when I heard them. And there are definitely some new scenes from the movie I didn’t notice before.

#5525 1 year ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I think Ted also wanted this game to be an adventure of discovery for the players. The feeder mode system is well thought out and completing modes based on where you are on the map? This is some next level stuff and more complicated than any game ever, if you want to go that deep.

Just got done with a very frustrating game where I drained almost immediately on Smaug MB, took forever to hit the hole to start into the fire, blew that after Stage 1, and STILL had fun.

#5534 1 year ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

1. Novus2 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I did that and they were dirty soon after. No desire to do it again. I had the ramps out when I was replacing the ramp flaps because they were curling.
3. Powered subwoofer is a great mod for any game. Really brings it to life. I'm going to reward my machine with the Gold Ring and metal plate when v3.00 comes out.

Astonishingly, there don’t seem to be a lot of mods for this game. This is a shocker to me, because a) it could use a couple of little add ons, and b) there are tons of LOTR mods!

#5542 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

One that you didn't mention that I have is I bought a shinny gold colored newton ball and captive ball. Nothing spectacular, but fits the theme better. The finish has held up well.
http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/newton-ball

Whoa! I gotta order that. This reminds me. I think the Hobbit is the only game I have never really thought about adding mods to. That gold coloured ball is brilliant though

#5543 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Larry's (flip n out) lockdown bar button plate with gold ring is a must for this game. And mirror blades look fantastic!

No doubt those are awesome - I have the map looking blades in there now (I think they were originally sold as LOTR blades) and they look great but start to get raggedy as I lift the PF more frequently. I have some black mirror blades; they will go on either this or DI eventually..

I guess I really meant more the “dolls on the playfield” variety of mods haha.

#5553 1 year ago
Quoted from Gregc:

How do get 2.97. On JJP only 2.96
Thanks
Gregc

One option is to wait until they post it won’t be long I don’t think

#5558 1 year ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I also have the same issue where the spider isn't dropping quite quick enough before the windlance is shot out. It used to drop right before the ball came out and it was perfectly fine, but now doesn't drop fast enough and the ball ends up hitting the spider.
Someone mentioned bending the beast mechanism forward or backward a bit. Is this the only fix, and is it effective? I'm a little leery about bending anything. Is there any other setting to make windlance delay a bit longer, or the mech to drop quicker?

I can confirm this is an issue with the recent update, as I’ve been playing my game continuously for a couple weeks, and happened to progressively test 2.95, 2.96 and 2.97 with quite a few plays on each. The spider isn’t dropping quite fast enough, and it hits -every- time it goes to the kickback in Flies & Spiders and Save Kili

Also - has anyone adjusted the speakers or the treble/bass mix? I am suddenly getting a lot of scratchiness from my right BB speaker and I wonder if it’s trying to hard to output bass (it could be distortion from the sound mix but I have it on stock settings)

#5559 1 year ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Thanks for the idea on the Throne of Erebor. 3D print file is up on Thingiverse. Just scale up 140%. Turned out well.[quoted image]

GREAT idea!! I am going to do that today.

#5563 12 months ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Is it something JJ is going to fix in the next update? Have they confirmed it is an issue?
Thanks,
RW

Not confirmed yet as far as I’m aware. (You mean the spider issue right?). Ted May chime in but this is definitely repeatable so it’s a clear bug

#5565 12 months ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Lighted
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very nice!! I just printed this last night as well. What material did you use ? And did you drill out the area where the light is?

I am unsure how the light is shining through like that. White PLA? I only have black PLA right now which is obviously not going to work.

#5572 12 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very nice!! I just printed this last night as well. What material did you use ? And did you drill out the area where the light is?
I am unsure how the light is shining through like that. White PLA? I only have black PLA right now which is obviously not going to work.

Damn it.. I came downstairs to see the completed throne. And the sliced file has something in it that’s causing the printer to “wait for user input”, and it wrecked the print. Arrrgh...

#5585 12 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Epic game! Played all three wizard modes, killed Smaug and set new personal best for Beasts killed, Modes played, and modes won. And then Smaug said, "Nice titles." Perfect touch to a great game. People who don't enjoy this for the epic adventure that it is are just missing out.

Doesn’t he say “wonderful titles...” ? Or something like that? Either way, epic game!

#5596 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I agree , the powder coating especially on the le is fantastic , sometimes I just find myself rubbing my fingers along it in between balls thinking how nice is this.

TMI dude

#5599 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I had to look up what TMI meant (PS I hate abbreviations) if I'm right that means to much information , is that because I said balls and rubbing in the same sentence . lucky I didn't mention how the game spurts the balls out or swallows them.

WAY too much information! Haha

#5608 11 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also... new hobbit smaug owner here.... what a amazing pin when set up nicely. Played it alot at shows and peoples houses and it was slow,floaty and just not that great. I set mine up to 7.3 with open outlanes no center post , sensitive slings and factory settings. Wow it plays fast and brutal but still very manageable. The lighting and overall atmosphere is top notch and the modes vary and are fun. Still not sure what im doing but im having a blast lol. I think more people wld love this pin if they play a correctly set up one. I perfer it greatly over wizard of oz.

The first couple of go-rounds on the code didn't help a ton, and a lot was overblown about how "open" the playfield is. With the new code they are strategically using the beast mechs as both "attack" moments, and as obstacles, changing your shots and making you have to re-think your game. This game is absolutely outstanding. I find it more fun than WOZ as well; WOZ is an absolute beauty but I think TH is more fun to shoot.

#5612 11 months ago
Quoted from elf70:

I just have to say, this v2.99 beta hobbit code is off the hook!!
The experience is nothing like when the game was first released. The sounds and callouts, the gorgeous lights and effects, the reworked rules and mode presentations - Absolutely amazing, beautiful, polished, and EPIC.
I am so proud to have this game!
Thank you JJP!!

2.99 or 2.97?

#5618 11 months ago

Awesome, I did not see the new update. That is killer!

#5632 11 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Are all hobbits made with the 2.0 lighting system? I know they didn't start using it in woz until dec 15 2016 but many hobbits were made way before that date.

Yes, 2.0 was built and tested for Hobbit

#5674 11 months ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

$31 for a few stickers? Wow, I bet that's some good profit for that seller.

You gotta make 'em too

#5682 11 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Man this pin keeps amazing me... all the modes are so unique and the sounnds/video/lighting are the best. I may need to drop my slope and put my center post back in and also close the outlanes some bc its absolutely brutal at the moment ..... but i kind of like it lol. So glad i got one of these and its alot of pin for 7k and under.

There’s more modes that use that ramp diverter now; I wish that was used even more often

#5689 11 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

People keep talking about how Smaug's audio is so expanded and varied. I think someone even said after many games they haven't heard the same audio twice? What am I missing? I installed 2.991 and it is still the same audio clips for locking balls as its always been. I heard a few additional quotes at other points of the game, but it feels like a minor addition, not the major expansion people seem to be describing. Do I need to do something different?

ball lock callouts are the same, it's the random stuff that's varied. when you drain, when your game is over, when you haven't plunged, etc

#5706 11 months ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

I was wondering the same thing... When will the post 2.97+ code be officially available to the masses?

I know they’re basically doing Dialed In at the same time, so it may take a bit

#5709 11 months ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Newton and captive ball upgrade.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Outstanding! Add the Erebor key and throne and you are in business!

#5711 11 months ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I like the look of the throne but don’t like that it blocks the view of the ball in the back. Guess I’d have to see it in person to decide for sure.

Aah fair point. I don’t have enough time to look at it during the game but in attract mode i think you’re right. Man but it looks -really- cherry in the game

#5727 11 months ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Despite being a little late to the party, I am now the proud owner of a Smaug edition. My 10 year old son and I always loved the movie, but I had resisted buying one due to some play some time ago on one that was setup too shallow and with early code. We jacked up the back and it is an absolute blast. This is, in my opinion, a machine that sets a bar for theme integration and is a perfect way to demonstrate how far this industry has come to the uninitiated pinball guest.
I know some people aren't crazy about mods, and I usually lean towards less is more as well. However, given my son and I's love of the theme, it has sort of become something that he and I brainstorm and work on things to do together and we have had a blast doing it. His idea was some sort of black arrow. It was a little tough to replicate as closely as I would have liked, but he, and a couple of other pinheads have given some great feedback. It sits right above the shooter lane, and is on an anti vibration mount that we fabricated. In addition, we have added a bunch of other stuff including side blade art, color filter, a bilbo/gollum display, topper, external sub, gold ring button and plaque, etc.
Anyway, I have rambled enough. Here are a few photos. Glad to join all of you.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

welcome to the club! That arrow looks killer

#5736 11 months ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Cool. Hobbit is complete. This was a massive game changing effort.
Well done Ted and Co. Thank you.

It almost makes me a little sad to say it, but it is complete indeed. The game is INCREDIBLE now. The kind of change that just doesn’t seem possible. The layout really does work, and the game shoots so smooth. And it’s hard, AND it’s deep, and it’s fun and not a grind - it’s exciting! Hopefully this will generate some more sales for JJP

#5820 11 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I hope so....I played a game the other night and have my game set to 5 balls. I got 2 extra balls and was still on my 1st ball before I played the extra balls and I was bored out of my mind. I still have the original, actually 2nd code update so I'm hoping the new code is worth it as I wish I would have passed on Hobbit and got a DI

Uh yeah you need to update, bad

#5853 11 months ago

Smaug SE to be exact lol

Is there another Smaug edition?

#5854 11 months ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Ted admitted that it was a mistake. It still happens when no initials are asked to be entered. Apparently he introduced this bug when tweaking something with entering initials according to a post in google groups.
His words:
“Whoops. This is a mistake. I was fixing a little glitch in the "enter initials" lamp effect and introduced a different defect.”
I assume it will be fixed in a 3.01 or something.

I wouldn’t expect it to be long, they have been on a tear between TH and DI

#5863 11 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The Hobbit mini wizard modes are absolutely awesome. I don't know of anther pin that has modes with that much light, sound, shots, and visuals - they simply rock!
The beast pop ups add so much to the game - for quick targets to shot blockers - great game.

Exactly! This is why I don’t get all the complaining about the “open playfield”. The beast mechs -change- the playfield on the fly. How is this not almost a revolutionary feature ? It was a great idea before, but it is now a great implementation.

#5875 11 months ago

There are 4 different versions of The Hobbit
Standard Edition
Limited Edition
Smaug Special Edition
Black Arrow Limited Edition
the last 3 editions are all the same with cosmetic differences.

Right - I was asking specifically about Smaug, thanks! Isn’t Smaug the only one with the special additional attract mode videos?

#5878 11 months ago

Black Arrow edition also has a special attract mode video.
--Ted

Nice!!

#5899 10 months ago
Quoted from Bendit:

If others are having the same issue.
Issue with version 3.0:. Played for a couple hours then left the machine on attract mode for a long while. Came back to the machine and both screens were black, but the play field was blinking normally. Had to power cycle and both screens came back up normally.
As if the motherboard had sent both screens into screensaver sleep.

Interesting this is popping up now. I believe WOZ had a similar thing where because they upgraded the underlying OS to a newer build of Linux, it introduced this type of a bug, and now the game reboots itself if left on for more than 24 hours (if a game is not going on, I believe)

#5927 10 months ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I am able to line up a 2 month old Black Arrow that's mint for a hair over 7k. Seems like a good price, but can anyone confirm? Ive been trying to research but it's tough to really nail down if that's a good deal or just normal.

That’s a pretty good deal for a BA, although you may be able to find a Smaug for slightly less, but I wouldn’t go out of your way, it would be a couple hundred bucks tops

#5929 10 months ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Joined the club! Black Arrow edition. Had the most fun I think I’ve ever had playing pinball during “Into The Fire” yesterday.

The game used to give you multi balls every 2 minutes, but now that it is spaced out a bit better, the crazy multiball “battles” are a real treat! I love the “stage 1, stage 2” call outs

#5935 10 months ago
Quoted from robx46:

My dragon stopped turning! Any tips?

The settings for Smaug seem to have been changed if you did the 3.00 install - I believe there's a message above about Smaug's mouth not opening correctly, he may need some adjustments to the turn settings in your game

#5936 10 months ago

Also, is the link for 2.991 still available? I am still on 2.97 and don't have a big enough USB stick for 3.0 where I am today

#5945 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Just downloaded the 3.0 from Jersey Jack for the Hobbit and presently running the 2.96. I saw that there is a Hobbit Change Log 3.0. What is that and does that need to be downloaded?
Thanks!
Tom

It just shows you what was changed in 3.0, you do not need to download it. Have fun!

#5952 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballT:

My up kickers are taking two to three times to kick up. Is there a way to adjust them?
Thanks!

If it’s new, it may just need a software adjustment. Several owners have mentioned that their VUKs were misaligned, you may want to check physically as well

#5983 10 months ago
Quoted from Bilbo1161:

I mean when you change any settings, like coil settings. Not after an update.
Thanks

Yes it should be instant

#5995 10 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

getting ready to install topper, where do you plug it in at? is there a plug in backbox behind screen or do you have to feed it to bottom of machine.

Take a pic! I don’t think I’ve seen a topper yet

#5996 10 months ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

We are going to do a limited run of Hobbit pin cups. A couple of people had messaged me in the past about it. If you would like one, just PM me. $30 including shipping in the US. The one pictured is ambidextrous, but we will be printing right or left hand flanges.
The one pictured has the flange on the right side. This would attach to the left leg and stick out the the side of the cabinet or attach to the right leg and stick out in front of the cabinet.
If you really want an ambidextrous one let me know and we can figure something out.
Just PM me if interested.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Not sure how close they are, but I JUST finished a 3D print of a cup like this. Really nice!

#6008 10 months ago
Quoted from Bilbo1161:

Does anyone’s Hobbit have different pitch readings throughout the playfield?
Just got a new Black Arrow and when I try and set the pitch up correctly I get a variation of 0.5 - 0.8 degrees between the flippers and the top of the playfield.
Is this normal?
If it is, what reading do I take to be the pitch of my PF?

Between the flippers

#6010 10 months ago
Quoted from Bilbo1161:

So are you saying the variation between front and back is normal?

No idea, but that’s where you typically measure from. Do you use the PinGuy app, or an actual pitch locator?

#6013 10 months ago
Quoted from Bilbo1161:

Using Pin Guy.
But proved Pin Guy to be ok by using a different app on another phone and also by using on the pf glass. This stays at a constant pitch on the glass as you would expect.

I’m not following why the pitch of the glass is relevant

#6026 10 months ago

I apologize for the disappointing experience with that crash. It was a very elusive problem to recreate before I could diagnose it. Can you please check the Error Log and confirm that it show a '9004' error code? (Full Menu->Reports->Error Log)
I will be packaging up Hobbit release 3.10 later today. It will be posted on the JJP Support site Monday morning.
--Ted

Ted, will this replace the 3.00 or will it be a Delta? Thanks for all the killer work on this; I can't believe what an awesome end of the year this has been between DI and Hobbit!

#6036 10 months ago

Technically it was released on the Google group as a trial. Ted said if all went well it should be on jjp site Monday.

Was it? Ted sent out the release notes but no link AFAIK.

1 week later
#6087 10 months ago
Quoted from Furio:

That's exactly the count that I was expecting. Is there anywhere else in the game that has some sort of a ball lock that I am not aware of? I can't do all the stuff I wanted immediately to test to do as my kids are around and pinball testing is a noisy business. I am sending them out again in the morning for some last minute errands and I will be testing. Is there anything different between the actual pinballs that JJ uses and others? I have a new set of balls incoming from Amazon, since I only received 3 of the 5, I am replacing them all with new balls to maintain similar wear levels. The 6th ball is still in place without issue.

No, balls are not held anywhere besides the trough. Even locked balls are immediately sent Back to you during a game. You may have a bad option in the trough

#6102 9 months ago
Quoted from MoPinball:

To start, hit the rollovers, lock three balls to start Smaug multiball and hit the spinners. Everything else will happen on its own. After that watch the small playfield screen and learn some level 1 and 2 modes, left ramp changes modes. Get a copy of the rules online. Then move to qualifying modes and hitting inlanes for Beast multiball. Now you can start completing level 3 and 4 modes in order to earn more points in the wizard modes. Of course, you have to be able to play the multiballs with some control in order to kill Smaug. After that, playing for points gets a little more complicated.

Quick clarification - you can choose modes by hitting the left
Ramp, and you cycle through
Them using the flipper buttons, and you can change until the ball reaches the inlane.

#6119 9 months ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Downloaded the full 3.0 install tonight. Yes, it's awesome. But so sad to see the ending LED sequence changed. Was the coolest thing ever to see Smaug breathe fire over the playfield. Must've shown it to every last friend and family member - it was that cool! The sequence has been changed to just a bunch of random lights.
Why oh why would they remove the coolest lighting feature in any machine ever? Please tell me there's a setting!

It was a bug, wait
For 3.10 after they get the last Dialed In update out.

#6149 9 months ago

Man I don’t think I would ever want to get WD40 near my game - I assume people are pulling the ramp out of the game entirely if they’re using that. It would be impossible to get off unless removing it with Naptha or something.

#6172 9 months ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Thanks, I’ll try that. I just assumed it wasn’t a power issue because it does eventually push it back onto playfield. Thought it might be some sort of alignment issue. Will try raising power first and see what happens.

Check under the PF that the kicker is aligned properly too - some people have had issues where it’s slipped a little bit and the clearance for the ball is really tight. Realigning it will open it up better

#6181 9 months ago

I have both - and.. yeah, they are very different games. If you like Pat Lawlor's games where they are fun to shoot, have lots of combos, and are mode-based, but not terribly deep - then that's DI. Awesome, very fun, amazing game. DI is PACKED with mechs and the type of mechanical, physical stuff that sets pinball apart from video games.

Hobbit is a journey - I don't mean a slog, where you're chopping wood - but it is *very* immersive. Dialed In is similar to playing a really fun video game (lots of video game influence with the bosses, health meters, etc) - while the Hobbit feels like you are IN the game.

It has 30-something modes, which is at least double the next game (Houdini), AFAIK. THey are all fun, and they are all really clever. The modes which come available a bit later on in the game use the monster mechs extra effectively: when you are in a battle, you are bashing into them to fight off the attack, whilst still trying to make regular shots. Other times the monsters are used as barriers to change the playfield and force you to re-think your available shots. AND THEN there is this diverter which comes out of nowhere on the ramps, and makes the ball come flying back at you in a very tight turn (similar to the Star Wars Tie Fighter shot [i think]). That is awesome when that happens.

Add to that actual callouts from the game, a Gandalf sound-alike, tons of actual music from the films... and a bunch of very fun wizard modes. Oh, and killing Smaug. Not even the Master Magician mode, nor is it the "end" of the game, but it is amazing when you do it.

Previous criticisms of the game included that it would get super long (this was true), the multiballs were coming up too often (also true), the playfield is "wide open" (I disagree on this because of the phenomenal use of the monster mechs, and the fact that a lot of the game mechs are placed at the far outer edges of the PF but still do their jobs just as well as if they were in the middle)... and it generally just wasn't as fun as it probably could be. I agreed with that after a while. UNTIL 3.0 came out. Holy crap.

I sold my Hobbit last year - just bought it back. And I am now getting ready to sell DI (which I really enjoy, just not *quite* as much). Hope that helps.

#6190 9 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks, I have played both and like both. But I always enjoy hearing others thoughts as well. Sometimes I overthink it, and it helps to hear what others experienced!

This is VERY helpful thank you. For me, DI feels very fun, the shots are very satisfying, a lot going on, and while I originally hated the theme, I now really like it. It's super quirky and fun. I agree hobbit to me felt much deeper in ruleset and mode etc. POTC is great, but can be very mean on ball drains. It also is very multi ball heavy, and the chapters are nice in that they spread out shots over the field.
For me I'd like my 2nd game to be "different" from POTC. Ideally, something that is a bit "nicer" on the ball drains (helps with kids and wife!), so longer ball times is a plus. I'd also like something that is less multi ball, with more "shooter" fun where you have to hit certain things. There is no doubt the theme integration on hobbit is phenomenal. Did 3.0 decrease the amount of multiballs? If not I'd fear it is too similar to POTC in that regard. Hobbit seems like it would be an "adventure" with lots of specific shots needed to progress, where as you said, DI is more about the modes and the very satisfying shots you can make, along with the great quirky theme.
So, you can see why I'm torn! I want a game that is different than POTC, a change of pace, with a bit longer ball times.

Hm, I was going to say get DI until you said longer ball times. Hobbit naturally has longer ball times because of the widebody playfield. I haven't played POTC enough to really get to know its shots and ball times, but it kinda sounds like you should go for DI. Really hard call though

#6191 9 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

The family said the Hobbit looked lonely without a topper, so they surprised me with this![quoted image]

Consider yourself extraordinarily lucky I have never had this happen ever in my life. My wife once forgot to get me something for christmas until the day before, and only because my son reminded her. LOL

#6192 9 months ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Hobbit is just getting better and better. I just played a great game only scored 800K but the modes are so much more to fun to play and it is very easy to understand what to shoot for. The sounds ,lights and screen footage are second to none.

seconded. I also have a Houdini which has a lot of similarities to Hobbit in this way - the modes are REALLY fun, and complicated but not out of control - however Houdini is still really rough around the edges. There is all this complaining about the shots being "bad geometry" (which is complete BS), but it is true they need a lot of work on the animations and transitions, and whole package. Just tweaks, mind you, it will happen. Since Hobbit is another whole level now, it's not fair to compare...

#6207 9 months ago

Unfortunately, we couldn't get "Misty Mountains Cold". The licensing for that music involves multiple layers of ownership rights, which was much too difficult to work through.
--Ted

That’s a bummer - I could have sworn that “that’s what bilbo baggins hates” is also from that Rankin/Bass cartoon where Misty Mountains is from. But I guess it’s not - the words are from the book, but the melody must be original.

#6257 9 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My wife is twisting my arm and wants me to sell Hobbit to buy AFMrLE lol. But - I love my preciousssss.

That is seriously insane. You will be selling AFM in weeks after owning a game like Hobbit

#6276 9 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If it were my only pin I'd agree.

just saw you have Pirates too. Damn that game is awesome as well. Way too complex for on location play IMO, and way too complex for the average player. But man is it fun,....

#6287 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

People here love it. Claim it's the best JJP pin.
LTG : )

I just spent about 2 hours on it on a trip to Dallas, and it was absolutely amazing -

#6305 9 months ago

3.1 installed flawlessly.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.10.iso
tools used:
BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS FIRST !!!!
Restore your settings after the update.
This iso update erases everything and reverts the game to factory settings.
I use a separate USB flash drive to backup my settings. Write what they are for on them with a marker, store in the coin box.
kingston 8gb USB 3 Data Traveler USB drive.
amazon.com link »
windows 10 64 bit.
Unetbootin utility to make a bootable flash drive.
https://unetbootin.github.io/
Followed the instructions in the service manual.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf
Another perfect update!

just did mine last night - I hadn't updated since 2.997 and I caught a lot of subtle lighting changes! awesome!

I second the call for "Rufus" - UNetBootIn didn't work for me either (first time that's been a problem)

#6320 9 months ago

Is this happening to other similar build games?
Maybe it's a problem with the sound system hardware?
My game is an early build and doesn't do this.

How do we replicate this bug? Just leave the game on for a long time?

#6347 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So I'm still on 2.99 code.... is there a huge difference between that and 3.10

It’s stable, you have the vast majority of gameplay changes but there are some additional light effects which are cool, and some very minor mode changes and bug fixes

#6394 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Would Hobbit be considered a loud game with all those drops, if the music was turned down?

Oh god yes. Don’t ever take the glass off with the game on!

#6413 8 months ago

The lane guide to the left of the windlance has an end that can be moved and bent slightly.
Adjusting this has a dramatic affect on it.
You will see that there is a screw that you can pry against at the end without removing anything.
Tiny adjustments here yield big results.
That and power adjustments does the trick.
Also make sure the kicker and all associated parts are tightly installed.
My pitch is 7.2 and seems to be the sweet spot.

where should the shot be going, generally? Mine typically hits the outer loop, but occasionally it will go into the Radagast hole or brick out.

#6434 8 months ago
Quoted from Maurice:

What about the 3.10 update that seems to get stuck when you kill Smaug when a mode is running. Is this a confirmed bug or not? I won’t update untill I know for sure.

I have not yet seen this - maybe something very specific needs to be happening

#6437 8 months ago
Quoted from Furio:

One of my field beasts, upper right Orc, is having an intermittent issue where it pops up and the force of the pop up is causing the head to bobble enough to trigger the switch. Asking the question has given me an idea on the fix, though I don't know if its an adjustable option. I am going to try and reduce the coil power for just that mechanism. I have checked the screws and everything appears to be connected properly and tight.
My other concern is that I have one of the earlier play field releases and it does not have the plastic bumpers pre-installed to prevent balls from locking inside the drop mechanisms on the play field. This does not happen often, but it's enough that I would like to install them. I wanted to see if anyone has a pic of what it should look like on each mech once installed. Mine are the early version with 2 pegs, vs some recent pics I have seen that have a full bar across the top. Does anyone have a good set of instructions for installation as the removal of the whole mechanism looks to be a daunting task for a newbie.
Thanks!

They are pretty easy to remove actually, just a handful of screws. You do have to be careful of the wires and just gentle.

The inserted blocks look like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1575390

#6445 8 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Hobbit is amazing with the new code and i find the game very difficult (at least mine is) but its very fun and the theme integration is one the best imo. I wldnt buy a new one as you can get a low play le or smaug for 6500-7k and its a lot of pin in that price range. Also it wld be fine as a 1-2 pin collection.

Yes, all this. Most people are still catching up on this game, as it took a while to really get it right. It was kind of so-so good at first, but now it is absolutely like no other game. Don’t buy new though; surely there are some out there who don’t like it as much and are willing to sell

#6453 8 months ago
Quoted from indybru:

This is very true since I bought one early on. However, I have no regrets the enjoyment I get from owning this game for the last few years is priceless for me. I've also purchased other NIB pins, and fully expect to take a hit if selling. Saving money and getting a used Hobbit is great option, except at my age I don't want to be hauling 350 lbs pin from someones basement to mine that's not priceless.

For what it’s worth, the Hobbit is THE easiest pin to take apart. I can do it in about 10 minutes. Remove legs. Pull PF, remove connectors, remove head, remove playfield. Then you can almost move it by yourself

#6457 8 months ago

Yes, 100%. WOZ is pretty easy too. Dialed In is WAAAAAAY not. Still easier than a B/W though.

I am not correct that it’s “the” easiest though - I think that might go to a Stern Spike2 game or Houdini. Houdini is like 2 minutes

#6469 8 months ago
Quoted from thewool:

Why aren't they installing those ground loop isolators at the factory?!!?!?! SMH....

Mine has one

DI did not come with them, but they were supplied free of charge

#6478 8 months ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Had to pick one up after the latest code update, such a great game!
[quoted image]

You won’t be sorry. This and Houdini are the best packages for the money in Pinball right now

#6486 8 months ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

So I was able to finally pick up a Smaug ddition a few weeks ago and I must say this game it's really great, especially with the new code development. I am very happy with the purchase, this is my first Jersey Jack pinball machine. While I love my other games, it is funny when you go from a Jersey Jack pinball machine to one of your other machines, you realize how much quality is put into these machines..haha. Truly amazing.

Well said!

I have owned every JJP machine (some several times!) and have never experienced the flipper binding as you described, not once. Is it possible the previous owner fiddled around with it?

You should *not* have to apply any lubricant to the flippers BTW, and it is overwhelmingly the standard to not use such lube, as it can get into the other parts where you don't want it. More than likely it's fine, but I'm just saying you should never expect to have to to do that.

#6491 8 months ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

My Warg target pops up and instantly triggers a hit and drops back down. Anyone seen this? In the beast test I can see the switch fluttering as the best rises and falls. What do I need to do to fix this.

You may just need to adjust the switch a tiny bit and space it out more. Make sure you have a proper leaf adjustment tool, do not use a screwdriver!

1 week later
#6518 8 months ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Can you go through the steps you did to get Smaug’s mouth working. My mouth remains open even though the servo is working and I have recalibrated.

How do you recalibrate Smaug; I'm not at my game, is it in the menu?

#6523 8 months ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

To recalibrate Smaug you have to take him out and open him up and physically calibrate the servo(not fun). In the service menu go to devices(Smaug) and you can set the end points of the servo. When you set the end points in service menu you are setting how far his mouth moves up and down.

Holy crap, glad mine is working acceptably

#6543 8 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Do you think they're worth the extra $500?

What extra $500?

#6558 8 months ago
Quoted from Bendit:

The Hobbit for $6300???????? Where?

It’s going back up as people wake up to the code changes. Makes sense ! Still cheaper than Pirates !

#6561 8 months ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Oh really? I remember seeing them talk about it when they revealed the black arrow. I remember being pissed off because I would like to have had the extra room in my cab for parts and whatnot.

Having disassembled WOZ, multiple Hobbits and Dialed In more than once, I can attest that the best design is absolutely the current Hobbit arrangement. There's too much packed into a tiny space in DI (heat issues) and the backbox is WAY too heavy. It makes the game way more difficult to move and to even lift to put the legs on. I think I've posted this 100 times now but TH is incredibly easy to disassemble, which is important for me because I have stairs! Not sure what they went with for POTC.

That said, even though I don't like the board design, the Spike 2 games are really really light, which IMO is the direction they should be going in. Less stuff on the PF which obviously makes a huge difference, but there's almost nothing in the backbox at all.

#6581 8 months ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

wow I had no idea the inside of the DI head was so jam packed?!! The Hobbit head has virtually nothing in it! I was hoping to drop weight by removing the head to haul my Hobbit up a flight of stairs....well it was super easy and fast to remove the head but yeah...didn't take off more than 30 lbs....
Is Hobbit the heaviest pinball machine ever created? (aside from Hercules)????

Pretty sure it’s still WOZ. DI is no picnic either - I always remove the head, even though it is a pain

#6583 8 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Woz was bloody heavy but I reckon The Hobbit is heavier . The Playfield on The Hobbit is heavier because of all the coils all the rest of the cabinet and back box should be pretty much the same

I just checked - WOZ is 310, TH and DI are 350. MAN!

#6587 8 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

What does POTC weigh? I feel like that weighed more than my hobbit BA.

It says 350 as well

#6597 7 months ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course![quoted image]

Holy CRAP?! is that your place ?

#6604 7 months ago