IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7075 4 years ago

Hi all from Oz, had my Black arrow from the original owner HUO for about a month now and have spent the time while resting my sore flipper hands scrolling through the 142 pages of this thread.

Now feel qualified to say hello at least and know i won't be asking questions already answered.

I've been doing things as they arise, i'm new to Pinball (second machine) so i am very lucky to know an operator with extensive experience next town over who has showed me how to do things like repair the beast wires etc.

Now need to try and find the leaf switch that operates the axe on the slingshot and stop it going off multiple times over and over, next learning curve for me.

I am incredibly impressed by the way this machine draws me in, must have had 15 games yesterday as i walked past to get a beer. I average around 400k on a good game and my best is just over a million, but i am starting to play with some purpose now and slowly figuring out where i am in the game and what to aim for.

Really just a very average to below average player, haven't played since childhood until getting my Deadpool NIB a few months ago and the cataracts don't help.

Anyway, just an introduction and a hello.

PS; There was a question about putting Pinstadiums on Hobbit a few pages back, the photos show them on Deadpool (which has a dark area between the flippers and the middle of the playfield) where i think it really improves the game. The Hobbit, on the other hand, is so very well lit and the light show has so much going for it and so much work and thought gone into it, i think it would be a real shame to disrupt the standard lights. (see second photo)
To each their own and i know lots would laugh at my pimped Deadpool and call it clown puke too.
I have a Rocker C which is pimped out a lot, but it sits next to my standard Duke 1098 and MkIV LeMans cycles.

I do have the coolasfuk sword handle shooter rod coming for Hobbit though and i am so disappointed that while i was on page 110 or so i missed out on the last gold buttons by a day or so.

pinball6 (resized).jpgpinball6 (resized).jpgpinball5 (resized).jpgpinball5 (resized).jpg
#7079 4 years ago

Quick question, after i light ,ITF, what do i have to shoot to start it?

Never have time to look around on this game.

#7081 4 years ago

Thank you. Gandalf was telling me to shoot that hole but i thought it was to finish the mode i was on.
So next ball the ITF is still lit, do i have to re qualify something or just shoot the hole and it auto starts?

#7084 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Slowly getting my averages up, have only broke a million once.

pinball5 (resized).jpgpinball5 (resized).jpg
#7094 4 years ago
Quoted from TrueJedi:

Just picked up a NIB #667 Hobbit LE that was brought up from the states. Made in late June 2016, so I'll need to do some code update this weekend. When looking for a NIB Hobbit it was rather hard to find stock. JJP's been sold out for some time as has Canada stock. Does anyone know if manufacturing has ceased and if the license has or will be running out soon?
Also, I was trying to determine production numbers and from leafing this this thread am wondering if this is correct:
Hobbit Standard = Unknown
Hobbit LE = 1500
Hobbit Smaug = Unknown (numbered, but random - is that correct?)
Hobbit Black Arrow = Unknown
My sons love dragons and really enjoy playing this at league, so this will be a signifiant addition to our household. Our 2nd JJP and certainly not the last.[quoted image]

No, Black Arrow is a run of 750.

IMGP0160 (resized).jpgIMGP0160 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7162 4 years ago

New place i haven't seen for a stuck ball before. I thought there should have been a ball left during multi but the machine didn't do a search until i tried to start a new game an hour later....

Any one else seen this one? I'm assuming it's come off the ramp...

IMGP0175 (resized).jpgIMGP0175 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#7242 4 years ago

Wish i could find a recipe for Sweet baby Rays Kickin Bourbon Wing Sauce.

#7246 4 years ago

Thanks LTG but that is not the one. I like the Kickin Bourbon WWing Sauce, i don't think their plain BBQ sauce is even in the top 23 from SBR's.

1 month later
#7389 4 years ago

My Black Arrow also came with 5 black balls inside it from the previous owner. It looked like they were a sealed plastic bag direct from the factory.

#7404 4 years ago

Running 6, the black balls are ok to see. I can play in a dark room and i have cataracts.

I think the black balls may be wearing thin and looking a lighter black after about 3 months now of regular home use.

#7410 4 years ago

It's not a cut wire is it?

#7411 4 years ago

Maybe a slight loss of colour on the active balls, but not much.

They look great during multi's.

ball1 (resized).jpgball1 (resized).jpgball2 (resized).jpgball2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7486 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I brought up some of the issues with the seller and they insist the machine was completely reliable for the 8 months they were operating it, with only minor mechanical problems. I find that hard to believe, but to their credit they sold me a great looking machine for a good price, and it was 100% functional at the time of purchase. Since getting it back to my house things have been a different story but I can't blame them for that, I think I've just been incredibly unlucky in the couple weeks I've had the pin.
JJP has been responsive, but unfortunately they don't have an answer on this one and I suspect they're refraining from outright telling me "try a new BAG board" in case that ends up not resolving the issue. I'm hopeful a new BAG board will sort out my problems though. The machine's behavior is getting increasingly erratic and it's no longer really playable, which is a bummer. I know I'm probably coming across whiny + entitled, but this is is my first modern pin (and most expensive purchase I've made in my short life, besides cars + a house) and it's just been a very disappointing experience. It hasn't killed my enthusiasm for the hobby but I think I'll be sticking to Sterns in the future.

I bought a NIB Stern Deadpool pro and a HUO Hobbit Black Arrow for my first two. I've got my head under the bonnet of both machines about equally i spose. I wouldn't discourage another brand of machine just because of maintenance, they all need it more or less.

I know have a couple of Sterns, the one JJP, some gotlieb, Williams and Bally machines and my first EM is on it's way. Buy good machines, surround yourself with experienced people and use the resource here giving back when you are able.

You'll love your machines more and more as you get to know them more intimately.

I do know what you are feeling as my Genie seems to be a constant issue after another and i get sick of the sight of it sometimes.

#7487 4 years ago

. please delete double post

#7491 4 years ago

Skill shots are all weighted, you get more i believe if you don't select it but play the one you are dealt.
Rollovers for example, the more of them you hit (in the order of lit especially) the more points. Same with the inlanes, get the flashing one and get more.

I do understand what you are saying though, you can get the same for dwarf or rollover as man or inlanes.

1 week later
#7530 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Hobbit has to be the best value in Pinball right now. If I liked the theme, this game would never leave my possession. It rivals alien in presentation and sound. Simply incredible.
I'm going on an adventure!

I dunno, Deadpool is a terrific game and 3-4 k cheaper here (i have both).

I confess i didn't think Hobbit needed an external sub and connected one to Deadpool and Spiderman that were sitting next to it.

After playing the Hobbit i decided it really could use the sub. It is spectacular, but more like thunder rumble than the music that Deadpool etc gives.

I did want to turn the sub section of the sound down, i can do that by turning the channel down on the mixer but thought that there should be a section in the menu to turn it down.
Can anyone tell me which bit of the menu (if any) control the sub sounds? Thinking it maybe Fanfare?
menu1 (resized).jpgmenu1 (resized).jpg

#7535 4 years ago

The sub has a volume knob and a cross over but i am running three machines through it. I want to turn the bass down on the Hobbit, leave it as is for Deadpool and turn it up for Spiderman. I'll just pull the cover off the mixer and use the internal volume controls, i thought it may be something i could do in the menu easier is all.

#7538 4 years ago

Pretty common thing with up to three subs according to all the threads i've read about it here. There are people who make the mixers that i used especially for pinball with 3 inputs.
The only one that sounds like garbage is the Hobbit as it's just a rumbly thunder sort of background that i think is related to the input volume.

http://tanglestech.com/Three-way-Audio-Mixer--for-use-with-the-TPP-1035-Pin2Sub-adapter_p_28.html

#7546 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This Pinnovators gizmo can do that. I have 3 pins on each sub with it and there is no distortion, individual bass volume controlc

Yeah so can the Aussie one i linked to that i have, just means crawling under the machines to do it is all. I'll do that next maintenance day.

#7569 4 years ago

Hi all, hoping for some advice.
My spider mech has been sticking up and not dropping. I knw from reading this whoile thread that LGT advises finding where the mech is binding and bending a little.
The problem is i can't see anywhere it's binding. I can feel it binding at the top 10% of the stroke but can't see anything where it's touching around the mech at all.
The only places i can see where it could be binding is the two shafts, one for the coil that goes through a sleeve and one on the mecch that goes through a little plastic split collett.

I undid the mech from the coil and they both moved smoothly with no binding seperate but now i have screwed them back together the stiff ness is worse, stronger sticking qand on 20% of the stroke maybe.

Hoping someone can tell me where to look next?

Also is there a way to reroute the green/white wires? I've already fixed it once and it's a bit flattened again.

hob1 (resized).jpghob1 (resized).jpghob2 (resized).jpghob2 (resized).jpg
#7570 4 years ago

Figured it out, it was the front plate connected to the coil section that the toy section is bolted to. The whole mech was binding when it was together but not apart so i just had to figure which way the plate had to bend then do some experimenting to get it right. Did loose one of the stainless spring clips up into the drop targets somewhere and will have to find one of those somewhere.

#7584 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

Issue is two plastics touch eatch other and block here : just remove the white beast light reflector in front of them et remove some plastic
[quoted image]

If you mean the binding it wasn't that. I had to unbolt the spider mech from the coil mech and bend the plate where they bolt together one way so the assembly was truer when bolted back together and ran straight. Hard to explain but easy to see when i finally figured it out.

3 weeks later
#7661 4 years ago

Does anyone know how to take the side rails off these machines? Trying to measure up for some custom rails with protectors but the small bolt at the front corner looks to be the only fixing but the rail still feels like it's either bolted or glued to the glass guide.
My Deadpool Stern the rails come off easy.

#7663 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe these side rails are adhered to the cabinet the same way WPC game are. You may need to use the heat gun and scraper method to break up the adhesive without damaging the cabinet or rail.

Sorry i don't know how those ones are stuck on either? Scraper where? Not on the decal?

#7665 4 years ago

Thanks very much mate. getting some made with protectors on them. Seems like it's the same pattern as the modern sterns but wanted to make sure with the rail off.

#7687 4 years ago

My Black arrow is the same colour as that.

1 month later
#7930 4 years ago

I believe the Black Arrow is the smallest run at 750 machines.

#7976 4 years ago

You can bend the frame of the mech if you need to. You need to pull the mech and dismantle it to see how it slides up and down and then bend the actual mech frame so it doesn't catch. My spider was holding up because it was binding on the frame at the top of the stroke.

1 week later
#8019 4 years ago

I have Deadpool and The hobbit, they were my first two machines. Both excellent at what they do, but what they do is very different. Hobbit is completely immersive and extremely long playing at times.
Deadpool is fast with shorter game times, although a great game can still be longish. The shots on Deadpool leave you more satisfied as a player and the strategy is easier to keep up with.
A great game on Hobbit means you really need a spotter calling over your shoulder, where Deadpool everything is simple and clear as to what you have to do, mostly you've learnt it by heart.

In short, two great but very different games.

2 weeks later
#8065 4 years ago

I seem to make my largest improvements as a player when i compete against new and better players (they are all better) and my small incremental gains through playing different machines and the skills that are needed for a particular machine.

Coming home from a comp will see me practicing things i have seen, and my scores reflect that.

2 weeks later
#8104 4 years ago

I have both and love them both for what they are, but i don't play Hobbit a tenth of what i play Deadpool.

#8115 4 years ago

I find it plays the best if you have a spotter over your shoulder who understands the game that can call the shots you need for you.

1 month later
#8331 4 years ago

The Isolation of Smaug;

smaug11 (resized).jpgsmaug11 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8379 4 years ago

Hobbit makes my heart beat fast on a good game. deadpool makes me sweat. Other machines make my legs shake. It's weird how they can have different effects, but Hobbit it's like my heart is gunna split a rib.

#8406 4 years ago
Quoted from Tiltboss:

does anybody have any idea if disconnecting one of the pop-up goblins because of a broken bracket will cause the game to compensate for it being disconnected? ie rerouting the points etc.. or is it just going to mess up the progression? i’m about to rent this game for a month going on and we’re stuck in the house I thought that would be a cool way to spend some time also away for operators to make money while bars and restaurants are closed rent a pinball machine people!

I have 15 of my own at home, but i'm currently renting Aerosmith and The Munsters from an operator mate who's had to pull all his machines out of closed pubs.

A couple of our group who don't own machines also got to rent some nice machines too. It's the way ahead.

pb39 (resized).jpgpb39 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8452 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Who cares. Whirlwind is garbage compared to hobbit. Let people keep under apreciating this amazing game.

I own and love them both and don't give a fig what people rate them up enough to even look.

#8466 4 years ago

Asks for help, gets someone to go out of their way to look up every step to get you there and then writes it down and posts it for you. FREE!

Abuse the helper because he had a little crack at the same time as helping instead of laughing it off? PRICELESS!

#8496 4 years ago

It's a year since i bought my first and i have 17. Hobbit was my second.

#8510 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Man just gotta say, I think for a 2 pin lineup (all I can fit in my apartment at the moment) Hobbit is an absolutely perfect game. I've still only seen 5 Armies once, haven't been able to clear Barrel Escape yet, and it feels like every time I play the game I get into some mode I haven't seen in weeks. Just really appreciating the variety of stuff to do in here at the moment, it's a perfect quarantine pin and is helping keep me sane.
The only downside is my girlfriend may be getting sick of 45 min games, but I ended up setting my LOTR to single ball for a quick(er) fix.
Excuse the pointless post, just very happy with this game lately and don't have any pinball friends around to talk about it with.

I would have been very happy if i hadn't had room or cash for more pins to keep Hobbit and Deadpool for many years. They compliment each other very well as two different faces of pinball. There's many other pins here now i don't love as much, but a few that i do.

#8539 4 years ago

It'll save the ball sdtm from a weak return if you hit it on the way out too.

#8575 3 years ago

I've had to employ that last fix. It was much easier in the end to see where it was binding once out of the machine. I had to pull the whole mech apart and twist the frame.

#8601 3 years ago

Can't you just shut the fuck up about it or take it somewhere else tiltboss? The rest of us are here to talk about a pinball machine.

I've seen international incidents blow over quicker than you are dragging this out.

#8628 3 years ago

It's written on the apron next to the left flipper button. Mines says #23 out of 750.

#8644 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

being that you're from Australia, I can't bash you for that funny Comment as I love your Country and Melbourne is Awesome!!!! Cheers Mate

He is right though, it's a pretty intuitive game and the callouts are all there to help you. Best tip i could share about learning it is to have a wingman calling the shots over your shoulder if you are ever having a real good game. You never really have much time, specially in multi's) to look at the main screen, and i've never looked at the samll screen while playing at all.
It needs to be someone with some understanding of the game but they can be telling you what to shoot for and you can muscle memory the shots.

'Mystery is lit'

'Just need left hole for extra ball' etc

Obviously can't do it in comp, but harmless at home.

2 weeks later
#8715 3 years ago

Houdini is designed the same way i believe.

#8723 3 years ago

To each his own.

4 weeks later
#8765 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stupid question: can beast frenzy be beaten?

Absolutely.

Just don't loose a ball.

1 week later
#8778 3 years ago

Yes an LE as well.

1 month later
#8888 3 years ago

Bought mine off pinside i think.

pb60 (resized).jpgpb60 (resized).jpg
#8890 3 years ago

Yeah it's not perfect. I always go the rollover skill shot so doesn't really impact that. Can't put that pin on the right hand end of a line, but that's a small drawback. It does feel pretty nice in the hand.

My favourites are made by a bloke here in Australia and they are a solid stainless ball rod. heavy as and feel beuatiful in the hand, suits and machine. You can see one on Houdini in the pic, they are beautiful and simple.

#8893 3 years ago

No sorry, just looked but i must have tossed the paperwork. That would probably be about where i bought it new in a really nice presentation box though i think.

#8913 3 years ago

Yeah Hobbit and Houdini are out of our Sunday comps because the other groups have to wait too long for good games to end. still much loved round here, but not suited to competition play.

#8919 3 years ago

Houdini is the closest i own so far. But in saying that, i've never played a game with the level of immersion that The Hobbit has.

#8924 3 years ago

And if i had some ham i could have some ham and eggs if i had some eggs.

#8966 3 years ago

Maybe one of those little suction caps you get for downlights?

#8995 3 years ago

Post a photo of it, someone will want to put it on the hacks thread.

#9019 3 years ago

Mine came with a grunt, and promptly fell asleep.

#9023 3 years ago

That's a pretty fucking ordinary photo.

#9027 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I took it with a potato. Will try to get a proper photo later.

great comeback, you win.

#9069 3 years ago

First i've heard of it. Houdini is prone by all accounts, although i haven't noticed it on either.

#9092 3 years ago

to reset the high scores, use the green button on the front, then use the two buttons on the side many times to make the score higher and higher.

Once the score is higher than the existing score, let the ball drain and use the buttons on the side to enter your initials and then you won't see the old score, no more.

2 weeks later
#9273 3 years ago

It's in this thread. The limited to numbers anyway.

Black arrow was limited to 750, i don't remember the others off hand. Assumptions were that standard editions were probably the lowest produced.

#9275 3 years ago

Sounds right to me. It also makes it unimportant.

#9283 3 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Im thinking about buying a Hobbit and one of the things that come up in reviews is there are too many opportunities for multiball. Is there a way to reduce multiballs?

There must be. My Feast only has one ball lately. Any ideas from anyone?

Can start the first multiball on my Deadpool with 2-3 flips for lil deadpool, few more flips for disco. Three good shots will get the ninja one too.

#9305 3 years ago

Not getting mine.

#9321 3 years ago

Shoved that into junk mail without looking at it this morning. Thanks for letting us know! I'm in.

3 weeks later
#9363 3 years ago

Center post won't make bugger all difference. I took mine out for a long time, then put it back. You so rarely use it that it may as well not be there.

3 weeks later
#9476 3 years ago

I have black flipper rubbers on my BA so don't see dirt. Black rubbers would look ok on the yellow bats, or you could replace the bats and rubbers to black.

#9480 3 years ago

I'm the wrong guy to ask mate, only had pinnies for 18 months.

1 week later
#9507 3 years ago

My magnet is flush.

1 week later
#9568 3 years ago

I normally skip the credits, but that was cool.

1 week later
#9596 3 years ago

I need a mod gate for between the bottom flippers too. I think this will drastically increase my use of the bottom flippers.

2 weeks later
#9629 3 years ago

They are not even up long enough for me to look at before i've got at them except in some of the modes. I don't really look at them when i aim at them either, it's a pherephial thing.

#9637 3 years ago

My bet is that it's binding slightly and you will find it hard to notice. That's what it was on my goblin.
The spider atm does this, but it pops all the way up and then drops straight away. That one is a switch registering a hit.

#9651 3 years ago

My snakes don't give a fuck.

#9653 3 years ago

You do what you want, but it's not going on my game.

#9685 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Good point. There is nothing more satifying than sneaking a shot right behind one of the beast mechs blocking the ramp.

Or making a backstab.

2 weeks later
#9739 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

At any rate, I know there are people here with way more knowledge than me so I thought I would throw it out. Thanks, everyone!

Don't throw it out, i'm sure it can be fixed. If you do throw it out i'll take it. 2 hobbitses are better than one.

#9749 3 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Auto Plunge when not ready to start??
Every once in a while a ball will auto plunge at the start of a persons turn when they are not ready?
It doesn’t happen all the time but it does happen ...
Any thoughts?

I know this one, as above it's a switch registering a score.

#9760 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im ready to buy this NOW! for my TH.
I dont see a need for the upper flipper kit, the upper flipper is barely used.
But for both lower flippers:
Vic, take my money!

On my machine the upper and lower flippers are used the exact same number of times each game?

#9762 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No stage flipping?

I'm a masher

#9764 3 years ago

Not everyone want's to win a grand slam. Some just want to play tennis in the sunshine.

#9769 3 years ago

I found the Hobbit wasn't really improved with a sub. I loved Tommy and Deadpool being hooked to the same sub, but Hobbit sounded poorer with the sub than without.

I used one of tangles little boards and a splitter to hook to the existing sub connections.

#9772 3 years ago

Biggest improvement in sound came from my sol republic headphones.

#9775 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Nope. My Polk Audio PSW10 sounds good with it!

Mine is only one man's opinion mate. All good.

#9800 3 years ago

My mate would love that to chop up on. He's always using my Mad magazines.

#9820 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

If the weather would ever get not crazy I could go grab these from my buddy and do a test fit. Once I have the size right, I'll publish the file so anyone can print their own. It's a 15 minute print and about 2 cents of PLA.
[quoted image]

Let me get this straight, you are reverse engineering the mod that Travahontas developed and cutting him out by publishing the print file?

TellMeIHaveThisWrongPunkin

#9823 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

That is exactly what the first guy should have done, if people have 3D printers he should not charge them to use the design. Get it right.........nearly every modder in this forum is skirting copyright law. Let’s not judge.

So artists should not sell paintings?

Sawmillers should not sell the wood?

What world are you from where people don't sell products so they can buy food?

All music should be publicly owned and the musicians not be paid?

That's some kind of twisted justification for stealing someone's idea mate. And I'll judge it if I feel it.

#9825 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

A complete misrepresentation of my words, you moron.
The idea was neither his or original, and the solution he devised posted on the internet. It’s free for anyone to replicate or reproduce. My statement is actually defending intellectual property rights, which he has none to claim in this case.

I disagree with what you are saying completely. You are also contradicting yourself. So the idea for the gate there was neither his idea or original appied to the hobbit? It was a factory option or he just copied it from another modder who also did it for bag end?

Your stooping to name calling makes your own discussion skills obvious without questioning my intelligence.

I think both you and the intellectual spoiler you are defending should go and develop your own ideas and stop piggybacking on others.

I have no interest in the mod, but i'll be buying one and having it shipped to Australia and throwing it in the coin box just to show my support.

#9844 3 years ago

Got some coming for my GnRLE.

#9865 3 years ago

Prophets.

What are you gunna do?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#9898 3 years ago

I have the sword shooter on my hobbit. Mates give me shit about it being a hip bruiser.

One mate laughed his arse off when it got me a beauty.

#9923 3 years ago

They are all the same, different colours the Black arrow are the most limited, I believe.

Choose which one takes your fancy. i don't run the Hobbit in comp here, other than that it's a most enjoyable game and probably the most immersive pinball machine I've ever played. Especially through good headphones.

#9926 3 years ago

It's usually people who are repeating what they hear with pinball machines, or theme based crap.

I've heard heaps of people say Hankin Orbit 1 is a 'skidder'. It'd probably be the last pinball machine to leave my collection. I consider it pinball distilled. I think those that diss it either don't love pinball or have never played a good one. If it was the only pinball machine i had, i'd be a happy man and my mates would be happy too.

How good is the extra ball animation on Hobbit? Compare that to the gross spit in the face on Walking Dead.

#9949 3 years ago

I have a Flash, a Fathom and just sold a Centaur. 2 x A grades and a B+.

Tell me the Hobbits floaty and i'll laugh in your face.

2 weeks later
#10058 3 years ago

I also did it by myself, and i HATE working on pinball machines.

#10060 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A tip I got from Butch Peel - when reinserting screws in wood, start by turning counter clockwise until it "pops" then go clockwise.

Are your screws really clockwise to tighten?

They are anti clockwise here.

#10063 3 years ago

No not the clocks but the ceiling and floor fans turn the opposite way (not backwards, that's you guys).

#10074 3 years ago

Orcs.

Evil bastards.

Got the gate yesterday mate thanks.

#10093 3 years ago

Custom message works well too. I sent all my op mates machines back after renting them with 'Punkin's Munster', 'Punkin's Maiden' etc.

You don't see it often unless you are looking for it.

1 month later
#10256 2 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

If you have a gap between your teeth you don’t go to the dentist to make it bigger.

Ahem...cough cough

_56800323_ear3_think (resized).jpg_56800323_ear3_think (resized).jpg

#10295 2 years ago

I wish people would stop saying they would pay extra for code that should be included.

#10313 2 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

If any game deserves co-op it's this one, just based on the theme alone.

Yes, the whole Hobbit series is based on cooperation defeating insurmountable odds. #1 take-home lesson from the books.

2 weeks later
#10392 2 years ago

Try different rubbers. I am a below average player and a good game for me is over half an hour.

#10395 2 years ago

Not every game has to kick you in the nuts.
I have a Walking Dead, Hurricane and a JJP GnR for that.

It's good to practice other skills sometimes than keep the ball alive and shoot accurate.

But everyone is different.

#10417 2 years ago

Not just expert players. It can be deceptive for below average players too. I like it better without.

#10419 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Center posts rarely help my game play, almost like it isn't there. But, I'll take the bounce back when it happens for a save any day.

Yep. I always either forget they are there and hold the flipper up or forget to nudge, or remember they are there and trust them on a marginal slider.

I'll take the bounce back though.

1 week later
#10428 2 years ago

Yes, switch not coils.

2 weeks later
#10475 2 years ago

Playing last night and realized my ramp diverter and the back magnet have both stopped working.
Any hints what to look for?

#10477 2 years ago

Guess it's call in a tech time then.

#10479 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might check the LED next to fuse F707 see if it's lit.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd, that's right at my skill/.tolerance level. Top flipper got stuck halfway up in the same game, so may be a few weeks till i look at it.

SnakeTankPrioritiesPunkin

1 month later
#10566 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Just acquired a Hobbit Smaug and the LOCK roll-overs don't seem to go down so easy when the ball roll overs... they seem super stiff and change the trajectory of the ball pretty dramatically. Is that normal?

If you search the thread i recall something about some of the rollovers having mylar over them or somesuch that made them higher up than they should be.

#10609 2 years ago

Make your bed into a fold up and piss the dining table off. There's three more pins.

1 week later
#10625 2 years ago

We discovered early on, as we are average at best players, that with the Hobbit you need a wingman. Someone reading the screens, listening to the callouts and watching the inserts, speaking from your shoulder and calling the shots and objectives during a long game can turn your game from a good one to a HS table great one.

#10630 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

So the 2 inserts frantically blinking orange was not enough?

Some of us have no attention to spare other than the inch above the flippers in multi's.

1 week later
#10675 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'm contemplating buying this game... just wondering what the pros and cons are about it? Is there much strategy in the gameplay? Are the rules complicated? I heard that the scoring is a bit 'mathematical' if that makes much sense... there's an LE for sale with 210 plays which I'm seriously tempted by! Thanks for any input!
Does this game suffer from the playfield issues? I've heard bad things about some JJP games in this respect..

Buy with confidence, no playfield issues i've ever heard of.

The soring is more complex than a computer game, 51 modes and noone knows how they all combine.
Good news is that you don't need to learn it to any real level to have a blast. The game does not revolve around scores like GnR, it revolves around an Adventure. And as everyone knows, an Adventure starts by taking one step outside your door.

#10681 2 years ago

never seen those blades before. they are beautiful

#10684 2 years ago

I've never seen them, but mine is a BA. Haven't seen them in photos either.

#10692 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As a person who will do at least one playfield swap one day, this is great to see.
I didn't expect it to be difficult either, so long as you're detail oriented and document the disassembly well.

I know which one!

Pick me! Pick ME!

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#10697 2 years ago

Have you got a Multimorphic?

#10714 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Can someone please tell me the build date from when the creature ball catch fix (spring?) started to be preinstalled in the machines? I might get another TH and would like one with the fix preinstalled on the machine (my previous one didn’t have it and it bugged me a lot).
Thank you in advance!

Not sure, but pretty sure the BA's all have all the fixes, ramp flap and mech ball traps.

#10728 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Recently picked up a Hobbit LE!
Where has this game been all my life? I'm about 50 games in and I'm not understanding how this is commonly rated last among JJPs (or a lot of machines for that matter).
It has literally caused me to have a knee jerk reaction and dump every Stern I have that doesn't have proper theme integration (imo of course). That's left me with keeping only Mando Prem & JP Prem, which I think are close from a theme integration perspective.
For a newer player like me, the theme & audio capturing you into the game, will allow you to shoot for hours regardless of the playfield. Again, can only speak for myself.
Someone tell me if I'm missing out on another machine like The Hobbit somewhere !

Deadpool.

#10730 2 years ago

Used prices are still relevant.

Hard to find anyone willing to part with one here though.

#10735 2 years ago

I use my knee to shift.

#10746 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Didn’t know much about what the audio guys do. Watched some cool YouTube’s including one on the other thread with prez by David. Very cool! I def appreciate it more now!

Did you know there's a documentary about the creation of the machine on the machine?

There's a flipper sequence to activate it, pretty cool watch. Probs in the key posts here. (edit, it's not)

#10756 2 years ago

Everyone says that. It's one of the skill shots, you can change them before the plunge with the ring button. I like the rollovers.

#10760 2 years ago

Who plays The Hobbit for points?

#10770 2 years ago

I had to actually twist the frame that the mech body slides in on one of mine once. Was really hard to tell if it was binding or not, but the slightest rub was enough to stop it from travelling properly.

Still have only one clip on the flap of that one.

#10792 2 years ago

I'm sad to say i'm leaving the club today.

Paid for my P3 yesterday and on an impulse listed the Hobbit to make the funds partly back.

Pretty sure i've made a mistake, but it never got played as the pins down the back only get turned on for comp and Hobbit is not in comp for obvious reasons.

Maybe i'll get another one day. Probably should have sold the Aerosmith LE that's 2 spots up instead.

#10803 2 years ago

Ahh the good ol days when we'd get the phone book out and ring random numbers asking if their Westinghouse was still running.

RememberPhoneBooksPunkin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=punkin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.