20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (7 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (7 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (7 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2407 7 years ago

Jen will be back for good soon. She's coming back full speed after Thanksgiving but she's working hard in the interim as always. She can get emails now.

#2437 7 years ago

Turn down the coil power on your woz upper sling

1 week later
#2488 7 years ago

It's like TOM you have to take the clip and spring off to remove the flap from above, then the beast mech drops down from below.

#2528 7 years ago

The left side button has no upper flipper, unlike the right, hence the harness has an extra pair of wires on the left side.

#2546 7 years ago

1.94 is coming very soon as it is being tested all around. I would expect it to release shortly although I know of no exact date. Adds pindemption plus some other things and addresses the sound popping issue.

#2571 7 years ago

Not the same boards as WOZ it's a ground-up redesign. Other differences include the fact that Hobbit GI are white only where WOZ had RGB throughout and that Hobbit has several special LEDs to simulate traditional 89/906 flashers. The wires are rather tiny to say the least and there have been issues here and there with the boards that control the various groups of lights (mounted under the playfield) but as far as issues overall it has been night and day with WOZ. Hobbit lighting is exponentially more reliable.

1 week later
#2616 7 years ago

Pull out the high power interlock switch to restore the high power. Left side of door frame, top switch

#2629 7 years ago

It relies on gravity to drop but there is an up switch to tell it when it's up. I'd check to see if your up switch is staying closed even when it's down

#2658 7 years ago

It depends on when exactly, doesn't it? I mean it shouldn't always be on. It depends on whether or not that shot does something beyond just adding Rad to the dwarf party.

#2662 7 years ago

You can't they always go in sequence. ITF is always first.

#2667 7 years ago

Battle of Five armies BoFA
Yes 1.90 is a delta update

#2671 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Quick Question: Aren't the four PF spotlights 12V?

Yes

#2678 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I keep getting a ball stuck on top of the "E" pop up targets in "ELF" when it is down. When it pops up, it launches the ball real hard and loud into the glass. Anybody do a mod to stop that? I don't want it to break the glass.

You can twist up the height adjustment screw to raise E drop ever so slightly and the ball probably won't rest there as much.

#2695 7 years ago

Delta means you don't need unetbootin. It adds software on top of your existing software it does not rewrite the hard drive.

#2696 7 years ago

And yes it's free to download and instructions are on the support site.

#2708 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search but didn't find anything.
When ordering this game from JJP, they give an option for a playfield covering. Do they apply it at the factory for you? Would anyone recommend or not recommend this upgrade? This would be home use only.

Yes, the factory will install it. Email [email protected]. I don't personally like the playfield overlay but many folks do.

#2717 7 years ago

Officially, Jack said at Expo, the code would be complete with the release of 1.90 but there is for sure one more software release which adds, among other things, pindemption software as well as a bug fixer and such, and probably one more update after that yet to come.

#2732 7 years ago

Blue one is topper which hobbit doesn't have, 12v one is not used.

#2734 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, the blue two pin not used, is it powered? Seems to be running to the coin door somewhere. Might want to make my own topper and light it up. Guess I could also tap off the black-yellow connector. I'll take some measurements with my DMM.

The topper plug is powered. Joe from Laseriffic launched his topper at Expo 2016 (well that's where I saw it) and many folks like it. Up until the latest software release, the game did not support lighting a topper but now it does. The Laseriffic topper was delayed getting into production by Warner Bros., which had to approve the artwork. Not telling you to buy one as the reception I've seen has been mixed, but I really like it.

1 week later
1 week later
#2852 7 years ago

Look at your settings - there are two numbers that represent the range that his mouth can open. These two numbers should be no more than 20 numbers apart (e.g. 100 and 120). See if his mouth moves in test step by step number by number. If it does, set the jaws open number 5 or 6 less than what it is now. On early Hobbits the ideal numbers are written in black on the bottom of the motor assembly. These numbers are entered into the settings in the factory but if the software was updated they could have reset.

#2854 7 years ago

Servo connector is on the back edge not accessible from below - 3 pin connector back edge that runs the jaw motor

#2856 7 years ago

Officially you have to remove Smaug but look along the rear edge see if you can reach it.

#2884 7 years ago

AFAIK it's 1.94 that enables topper support.

#2896 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I found the 1.94P update. Is it worth installing it over the official 1.90? What kind of new features does it offer?

More choreography and such for BoFA also

#2902 7 years ago

Connector for mouth servo is on the back edge of Smaug not under the field. It can come loose or back off so I'd start there.

#2909 7 years ago

In the jaw settings keep the top and bottom numbers within 15-20 of each other. That's all the range you want him to have.

#2917 7 years ago

Close your eyes and pretend you're playing NASCAR?

#2929 7 years ago

Make sure the wireform tube is lined up directly over the hole.

#2932 7 years ago

One or two more updates to come AFAIK

#2939 7 years ago

The Black arrow and the LE are still being built and have been being built together since shortly after the Black Arrow was announced at Expo last year. So if you want a game built later on the production run, you can buy an LE if you'd rather have that model.

#2948 7 years ago

These were factory on WOZ and were planned for Hobbit, there were some sound issues on WOZ which the engineers felt were being contributed to at least in some part by the ground loop isolator, ground loop isolator was removed from the Bill of Materials on Hobbit, lobbying to add it back to the Hobbit BOM is moot as Hobbit is nearing the end of its production run and it won't be needed on DI owing to the essential elimination of the chassis box that WOZ and Hobbit use.

edit: this is a response to "the wool"

#2960 7 years ago
Quoted from PinFan4Life:

Can someone elaborate more on the ground loop isolator fix for the static and noise? It's starting to get annoying on my Black Arrow. Is this something you have to purchase or will JJ provide it? Thanks for the info.

Either way. You can buy one if you want as they are inexpensive. If you ask JJP they will ship you one for free.

#2964 7 years ago

Whenever the game wants to get the ball to the bumpers it will activate on an orbit shot; otherwise not.

5 months later
#3747 6 years ago

You mean like a traditional start of ball, ball save, like most games have? Yes, Hobbit has one of those in the game settings. Or are you asking about something else?

#3750 6 years ago

FULL MENU - SETTINGS - SYSTEM SETTINGS - then 7th adjustment down "ball save time"

(My bad it was in system settings menu not game settings)

2 weeks later
#3760 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anybody figured out what issue the upgraded left wireform is addressing?
On my game the right hand wireform is the one which causes unfair drains FAR more often. I've bent it up a bit but it's still happening occasionally. I'm a little tentative to really bend it a lot, in case the weld won't hold.
Anyway so what's the left one helping with?

It is to stop the ball from falling off the left side of the rails as it is coming down to the windlance and trapping above the left side of the game.

1 week later
#3771 6 years ago

The one ring is one shot right ramp. Revenge of Sauron is 5 shots left ramp loop over and over.

1 week later
#3800 6 years ago

Tests switch test matrixed switch tests then spin it and see if the game registers it. If not physically push down on the micro switch arm next to the spinner
Does that register? If so then your actuator (switch arm) needs a gentle Bend up carefully hold the arm down against the body when you bend it
If still not reading look at 2 pin connector underneath and look for broken soldered wires on the switch body

#3818 6 years ago

Make sure the playfield hasn't landed on the start button switch and pulled it back out of the button housing a bit - lean in and look left and see if the switch needs to be snapped back into place.

#3831 6 years ago

Make sure your ball guides are spread and angled properly so that the free ball rests cleanly all the way down against the fixed ball and has the maximum potential for being croqueted properly (or whatever the term may be) up the lane. I had one where the channel was too tight once.

3 weeks later
#3912 6 years ago

We shall see at Expo this week but I do know that all of the code guys including Keith have been pounding away on game 4 to be ready for the reveal lately...

#3925 6 years ago

I wouldn’t attempt to speak for Keith but seriously you don’t think it’s coming? Black Arrow just went back on the line. And Keith loves the lore.

#3936 6 years ago

Standard, LE, Smaug, Black Arrow.
LE are the most common, standards are the fewest. Black Arrows are still available new from JJP. Playfields are all the same.

2 weeks later
#3997 6 years ago

Every DI production model shipped thus far has done so with 1.13 installed. This is DI’s first production code update. Hobbit has had many since production began in early 2016, including 2.0 which is the most recent one. There will be another by all accounts as well so I’m not especially worried.

#4000 6 years ago

To each his own, but from listening to Keith, there is one more update coming for Hobbit. I have one also and I’m not worried.

#4009 6 years ago

In May - every non prototype DI was built with at least 1.10 but 1.13 came out right on top of that just as the games started shipping in force.

1 week later
#4032 6 years ago

Psst - start button is dedicated switches not matrixed

1 year later
3 weeks later
#6092 5 years ago

Not Frank personally. Point is valid though. Game number won’t help - serial numbers are the key.

#6118 5 years ago

That’s coming back in 3.10 I believe

#6133 5 years ago

Check the up switch on the goblin bracket, mounted right near the playfield wood. It has a roller actuator on it and they can break off from the beast going up and down. Without the actuator the switch will never close - thus the stuck open error.

4 weeks later
#6460 5 years ago

Add a ground loop isolator as used in car stereos between motherboard and sound board. Gets rid of the noise.

#6465 5 years ago

There are two different Smaugs - gold and red. Except for the color they are basically the same. The prototype Hobbits had GLIs if I recall but they were not in the production build. Lots of folks have added them though after the fact. Occasionally there has been a situation where installing one will not only remove pretty much all of the noise and static but also knock the speech levels down some. Fortunately, Hobbit has written into its code several different sound adjustments and you can alter the speech levels and the music and sound effects in the settings so that you can make everything sound good and solid if installing an isolator should knock down the speech level somewhat. More often than not the isolator does the job fine with no side effects. In addition, installing one makes no permanent changes to the game (there is no soldering or anything you can just plug it in between the motherboard and sound board), so if you want to remove or bypass it later, no harm done. Get one with a 3.5mm mic style female port and male plug, then unplug the cable going into the pink jack on the sound board, plug that into the female port on the isolator, then plug the male cable coming from the isolator into the pink jack. That’s basically it. I mean if you want to do so, of course.

#6466 5 years ago

That description you quoted may be a hold over from the WOZ manual (I am not entirely sure) because the initial WOZ runs included GLIs in production machines.

1 week later
#6508 5 years ago

Line fuse is on the inside right front next to the service outlet. But before that, check that the plug didn’t come loose in the back of the machine behind the metal plate. Can happen easily especially if someone was vacuuming or something and bumped the cord.

#6534 5 years ago

Black Arrows in general are going to be newer because they didn’t come along until after the main production run was coming to an end. LEs are all over the place in terms of when they were built - there were some built during the later run and alongside the BAs and there are a few NIB LEs out there amongst distributors. They could be from anywhere in the run especially if you are buying used so you have to see if, for example, they have the beast mech inserts installed either at the factory or added later by the first owner, whereas all the BAs will certainly have them along with the longer drop target springs and so on. As to personal preference, of course that’s up to you. I have a Smaug edition but I happen to like the Hammered darker brown finish on the LEs the best. The BAs have a smooth black finish on the armor which I don’t favor, but the BAs cabinet artwork is great. Rad cals are a matter of personal preference also.

#6539 5 years ago

Actually the boards being in the head and the swivel monitor mounted on the pivoting arm didn’t start until Dialed In (and continued with Pirates). Black Arrow Hobbits still have the earlier style monitor mounts.

#6565 5 years ago

I was at the same reveal. The BA Hobbits were announced and then Pat took over and talked about his new cabinet design for DI including everything moving up into the backbox and so on. Black Arrow Hobbits however continued on with the original style as Hobbit and WOZ had been using cabinet and monitor-wise.

1 week later
#6646 5 years ago

Locate the sound board in the board cage (middle right side with RCA cables coming off the back). Unplug the male cable going into the pink jack, plug that cable into the female port on the isolator, plug the male cable coming from the isolator into the pink jack. Secure the thing somewhere so the cables don’t get into the CPU fan.
Note: if you find that the isolator knocks down the speech levels a bit, adjust them up in the sound settings.

3 weeks later
#6720 4 years ago

Wire is on the wrong lug of the start button - just pull it off and move it to the other tab.

2 weeks later
2 weeks later
#6862 4 years ago

If the auto plunger launches the ball it’s because it sees a playfield switch and assumes that there is a ball in play and thus no more skill shot. See if you’ve got a stuck or intermittent switch using matrix test. Create some vibration with your fist tapping the field between the slingshots. Sometimes hobbit is susceptible to seeing the rotating drop targets cycling as you are switching skill shots with the action button and that will occasionally trigger a ball launch.

1 week later
#6935 4 years ago

Magnet gets very hot as a rule. You can flare out the front end of the diverter which will effectively slow the ball down just a bit as it heads for the magnet. Not too much though as you will create a ball trap.

#6958 4 years ago

On Hobbit the insertion of headphones does not cut off the game volume. In this way Hobbit and WOZ differ from DI and potc.

#6965 4 years ago

There are either none, one or two small washers inside the lock rollover buttons. These were used to help correct the height difference caused by installing a Playfield Protector. If you removed the protector, open up the button and remove one or both washers to bring the height down.

2 weeks later
#7026 4 years ago

Removing the protector is simple if you don’t want to save it - just cut it off in pieces. Takes moments that way. Lock rollovers possibly, yes.

1 week later
#7066 4 years ago

Usually inside the bottom of the cabinet, left side near the back left corner.

#7092 4 years ago

License still good
More production is possible not imminent

2 weeks later
#7164 4 years ago

There’s an insert that corrects this - if you need one send me a pm

1 week later
#7216 4 years ago

Goes under the ramp it’s a diffuser for the ramp LEDs

1 week later
#7253 4 years ago

Spring broken underneath the F target probably.

#7258 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

"Apparently" JJP found the supplied springs were sub par. They now offer a beefier spring. Buy a complete kit and swap all your springs.

Longer. The word you want is longer. Initial feedback on early production Hobbits showed that a slightly longer spring would perform better so a running change was made.

1 week later
1 year later
#9042 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Is it normal for the rubber foot of the under Playfield bar to rest on top of the shaker motor?

Yes in some cases it does, other times it is just a bit above the cover.

1 month later
#9328 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Does anyone know the correct LEDs to use for the spotlights? Is it 12-volt, #906 bayonet?
Thanks,
Brian

JJP Part Description 555 LED, 12V, 4-Chip, Cool White

#9337 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

anyone have a Rules link or directions so that I can understand this game better

Why there's nothing to shoot for...
Oops sorry yes there is one online at
http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

#9348 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Ram stick was bad. Wish they would have seen that the 1st time I sent the mother board in. All is well now. Finally back up and running. He'll yeah![quoted image]

Hooray! Glad you're up and going again!

1 week later
#9382 3 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Do you guys think we are going to get another software update that adds WiFi support and Scorbit support like JJP just did for GnR? It has been a while since we have gotten a software update on Hobbit.

Yes and some minor bug fixes too

#9394 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Any chance co-op will be added soon?

Honestly don't know.

#9409 3 years ago

None of the game number stickers on any of the aprons on any model Hobbit have anything to do with production numbers

#9411 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

what about production limits? when is says #1/1500 does that mean not more than 1500 will be made of that version?

That yes - but let's say someone picked 1500/1500 for a game number - that does not mean 1500 units were made. It also means nothing as to production order at all.

#9415 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Right, but not more than 1500 made? No doubles on the numbers? Not 10 #420 games?

Right no double numbers let alone multiples of any given number. All that is correct

#9421 3 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

nothing happens when i plug a headphone in the jack on the front of the pin, lights are on, i can made plus or minus and lights change good but no sound on headphones and normal sound still on speakers, rj45 cables are solid in boards, any idea?

There's a slider switch very small on the side of the headphone jack board make sure it is in the correct position to allow the headphones to work

#9442 3 years ago

I’m around too

Always always always power cycle after a code update - always.

2 weeks later
#9493 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Is there a setting to turn off beasts on hobbit pinball? My beasts are not popping up. All 4 of them. The light still shows up as if the shot is there

Did you clip the tie wraps that hold them down in shipping?

9 months later
#10832 2 years ago

That's an extra 110v power connector for when the game had a 110v monitor in it (like the early WOZ games did).

#10837 2 years ago

They are very loud especially when you aren't used to hearing them. Normal though.

1 week later
#10897 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

I have a quick repair-related question. I apologize in advance if my question is stupid, but I'm not very knowledgeable about repairs. Learning bit by bit, though!
The light in front of the "N" from "MAN" targets is a different color than the others. It is a darker pink/red when the others are lit as the different party members are collected. It does change to a different color depending on status, but it is way off of all of the others in terms of color. Is this a settings issue I can address? A light board issue?
Thanks in advance!

Go into tests - lamp tests - all lamp tests and then walk the lights through each color red green blue - I suspect you are missing one color on that LED board. If so, replacements are available from JJP and are not (in your case) overly expensive.

2 weeks later
#10926 2 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

New owner of a Smaug Gold. Where has this game been my whole life! I have now owned all JJPs and this one is near the top or the top for me.
Where can I find a good thorough summary of the rules. I watched the Buffalo Pinball v. JJP video. Any others?

http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

1 week later
#10956 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Can you plug the dongle into the usb cord by the coin box?

Yes

6 months later
#11338 1 year ago
Quoted from ammiller:

Wondered if anyone has seen the green plastic at the rear of the machine start to warp/sag, as seen in my picture below. I'm tempted to try heating it up with a hair dryer or something and seeing if I can reshape/re-attach somehow, but worried I might mess up the paint or something.
The part is very stiff and generally still well-attached to the backboard, but can be somewhat forced up into the proper shape.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
[quoted image]

In case you end up needing a new one:
JJP Part Number 32-000034-00
Display Name/Code Hobbit Back Panel Pillar Sculpture

#11345 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

1. It's probably a lane next to the bottom slings
3. By design. People were complaining about flow and stop and go. If I remember right, they changed it to only attempt a grab on the first ball lock. If the ball is going too fast, it might not stop it.
4. Cliffys

What he said

3 weeks later
3 weeks later
#11434 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Does anyone know if these service kits are still being provided by JJP? Looking into an older LE. Pinside answers faster than JJP. Thank you kindly!

Yes

1 month later
#11519 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Anyone know where I can get the equivalent part for the "Microswitch with internal roller actuator" is? Part number 18-3005-01...
This is the beast "pop-up-detect" switch.
I see this one, at PinballLife..
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch.html
This one at Marcos:
w/o Diode... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5168-00
----> I think this is the one I would need... because there is a diode on the one, now. / Diode: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12953

JJP Part Number 18-003005-01
Display Name/Code Microswitch w/Internal Roller Actuator
$2.99 plus shipping
order directly from JJP

#11529 1 year ago

The jaw servo motors are in stock at JJP

#11532 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

I saw that they were in stock, tried to order a few and haven’t heard back. As I am horribly impatient, I looked on hobby king to order one and it is listed as discontinued

Email tomorrow [email protected]

#11542 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Does the top part of Smaug head move up and down also?
In LTG's video his head looks like it moves up and down a little.

Just the lower jaw

1 week later
#11561 1 year ago
Quoted from doc5md:

When running coil tests nothing happens at all? Do I have to do something special to allow the test to actually operate the coils? Maybe I’m just dumb??

Pull out the top white interlock switch to turn the coil power back on

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.