IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#651 7 years ago

Anyone who has played 1.20 code want to share their thoughts on it? My game is being delivered Tuesday and super excited to play it!

#672 7 years ago

KPG do you know when the new code is going to be released to the public? Also, thoughts on the new code? My machine was delivered today and I get back in town on Thursday, so was hoping it would be out by then!

#717 7 years ago

== Version 1.21 ==
==============================================================================

=== Game Code

* Change Game Over music.
* Vastly improve Into the Fire choreography.
* Improve Gollum ball save choreography and execution.
+ Gollum Difficulty adjustment. Can be set from 1-6 (default 3). Sets the
relative difficulty (subject to in-game modifiers) of the "save area".
+ Gollum Save Limit adjustment. Can be set from 0-9 or unlimited (default
unlimited). Controls how many Gollum saves a player is allowed in a game.
* Update Smaug Edition UI.
* Mode instructions should always be on screen while a mode is running now.
* Changed ending of stage 1 of Into the Fire.
+ Arkenstone fragment audits.
+ Into the Fire stage audits.
* Fix Book Mode difficulty adjustment.
* Add-a-ball after each Into the Fire stage completion.

=== Core Code

* Fix Daily HSTD bug.

=== OS

== Version 1.20 ==

=== Game Code

* Fix playfield audit names for MAN targets.
+ Beorn multiball ball saver.
+ Daily HSTD to attract mode
* Grace periods added to super spinner, Feast Frenzy.
* Feast Frenzy scoring bumped.
* Improved choreography during Smaug MB.
* Added lots of speech to modes.
* Mirkwood now plays failed movie on bad shot.
* Fix logic error in Riddles.
+ Player added sound effect.
* Fix captive ball Erebor award going off the map.
* Jailbreak now engages right magnet when bumpers are needed.
+ Gollum attempt and success audits.
* Suppress flipper/start buttons until HSTD intro is over.
* HSTD intro only plays once.
* Smaug MB shaker choreography added.
* Improve Windlance choreography.
* Fix obscure barrel bumper crash.
* Improve Feast Frenzy choreography.
+ Arkenstone Mode qualifiers.
+ Arkenstone Mode: Into the Fire.
+ 2+ mode starts audit.
* Change Smaug MB music.
+ Added a couple of tunes to play when Attract Mode Music is set.
* Jackpot calls removed from beasts during Beast Multiball.

=== Core Code

+ Daily HSTD: 4 table entries, no defaults, valid time = 24 hours.
* Add delay to adding players.
* Coil test default mode is now MANUAL instead of RUNNING.
* Fix ball serve generating bogus ball saved calls.

=== OS

* Fix image display program showing a relatively small picture in the upper
left instead of fullscreen. (This affects things like the now updating
screen.)

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Has the new code been released?

Not yet, Keith said hopefully sometime tonight.

#740 7 years ago

Main additions are the Into the Fire mini wizard mode and then the Beorn add a ball during multiball which is very useful. The shot call outs were much needed and also a nice addition.

#749 7 years ago

When I play on mine at home, the first thing I've noticed is how hard it is to get extra balls. I have about 10 games over 1.2 million and have only earned an extra ball on one game. Am I missing something? I have my extra ball settings on 4, which I believe is default. Other than that, only 3 ball games.

#753 7 years ago

Anyone want to explain the mode qualifiers? I know the ELF, MAN, DWARF, Gandalf, Radagast, and Bilbo qualify most of them. However, I don't believe that's all of them. I do remember Keith mentioning something with combining some of these in order to light some. Do they carry over from ball to ball?

1 week later
#882 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Put it up on the JJP forum. I bet Keith will do it. Still waiting for my Hobbit but at least I get to seen one soon!

You're in for a treat, the wait was 100% worth it. I absolutely love this pin and what it offers. The code has developed nicely, the Into the Fire mini wizard mode is so well done. The call out, "Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fire" is epic. Can't wait for the other two Arkenstone modes to come in as well! I find The Hobbit has one of the most interesting multiballs in pinball. Waiting for the beast mechs to drop at certain times to hit jackpots is fun and the frantic 5 ball double (beast and smaug) is wild. Debating whether or not to bring in beast frenzy to smaug mb is a tough dilemma as it makes it harder to progress through Smaug, but the add a ball and ball save received from starting beast frenzy is oftentimes important. Killing Smaug and hitting the drop target at the perfect time was a huge rush of adrenaline.

When do you get your pin?

#899 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Thanks for the fast response Lloyd. This was the problem. You're the man. We are loving the game while we work out the kinks and get settings where we need them. I'm also trying to get 1.2 downloaded. Thanks guys

Did the game ship with 1.01 or 1.10 code?

#975 7 years ago

If you want high scores, proper use of the third flipper is key in my opinion. Small things like relighting kickback makes a huge difference. During multiball, it can be easier to hit the captive ball with the upper flipper because of all of the pop ups being up most of the time.

1 week later
#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I got to victory laps in Into the Fire the other day! The last few rounds are confusing because it only tells you what to do on the screen...no flashing shot or callouts to guide you. Pretty awesome mode though. I always get the blinding "replay" light show during that mode it seems.

Keith has fixed this in the next code update. Idk when that will be.

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I had a mega game and got to into the fire 3 times in that game. I'm probably done playing until you can progress further into the game.

Same exact feeling for me as well. I got like 3.4 million and played Into the Fire three times and just felt like there wasn't much else to do once playing Into the Fire. I'm sure the next code update will add Barrel Escape. Really hoping the completion bonuses for the modes are implemented soon as well.

1 week later
#1195 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Since there are some 1.30 videos on youtube already i dont think its meant to be a secret.
== Version 1.30 ==
=== Game Code
* More Into the Fire choreography.
* Improved Windlance choreography.
* Added Windlance awards 2x mode scoring, 2x playfield scoring, add-a-ball.
+ Barrel Escape.
* Arkenstone modes now properly restart after an add-a-ball event.
* REALLY scaled back Beast jackpot callouts.
* Mode won/ending fanfares unified.
* Fix Into the Fire stage 4 and victory lap lamps.
* Fix won modes not registering properly towards Arkenstone modes.
* Into the Fire scoring nerfed.
* Correct some stale blinking lamps.
* Defeat of Azog made a bit easier and higher scoring.
* Update mode hexicons.
* Ring Button can now be used during initial entry.
+ Book Mode Multiball. Adjustments control how many "easy" locks player
gets (light when Smaug locks light), and how hard it is to win points
and extra balls during Treasure Hunt.
* Fix drop targets popping back up after being hit during skill shot.
* Poppers hold off during extra ball and replay animations now.
=== Core Code
* Start button only shows Credits 0 if in attract mode now (not in-game).
* With SLOW restart set, game can be restarted on ball 1 with max players.
* Match awards credits now if interrupted by start.

Thanks! Really starting to come together quite nicely! Really all that's left is Battle of the Five Armies and then maybe a final wizard mode? Then not sure on completion bonus for modes or not. Great job by Keith and his team. If I remember correctly on the stream yesterday, Jack said it's about 95% done right now and it should be completely done within a month. I'm sure over time, there will be some bug fixes along the way as well. Can't complain one bit about JJP and code support.

#1198 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm really starting to get pissed off with my trough. Made the adjustment to the metal tab by bending it back a bit. That didn't help too much, because the ball started hitting the metal apron. If I backed the power off, it wasn't strong enough to put the ball in play. Took the apron off again, and bent the metal tab back to closer to how it was. That seemed to help initially, but when I am in multi-ball, the coil struggles big time to put a ball in play. You can here the machine repeatedly trying to put the additional balls in play during MB with very little success. I've tried numerous settings in the menu without and kind of real success.
This is really leaving a bad impression not only on others who come to play the pin, but me as well.

I've had similar trough issues but not to this extant. I have yet to make any adjustments to mine as it is off and on. Most games it has no issues and other times it takes 5-8 times to get out. Definitely can be extremely frustrating though.

#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Here's the replay of yesterday's Twitch livestream from the Jersey Jack factory on the new 1.30 code. We had Steve Bowden with us and he and Nick showed off quite a bit of the game, including Into the Fire a few times!
» YouTube video

Thanks for doing this! I really enjoyed the live stream and I think the game was set up properly. Hopefully people on the fence will watch this video and end up deciding to get one. JJP has a lot of good things going on right now, I'm hoping they keep cranking out Hobbits and show Lawlor's pin sooner rather than later.

#1203 7 years ago

Played new code once, but didn't get very far. I'll try more tomorrow.

13833206_1236121209753996_75836256_o_(resized).jpg13833206_1236121209753996_75836256_o_(resized).jpg

13844125_1236121213087329_505422539_o_(resized).jpg13844125_1236121213087329_505422539_o_(resized).jpg

#1206 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So just to confirm since barrel escape wasn't in there before... You must COMPLETE into the fire before you can start barrel escape?
Of youbdont complete into the fire you have to qualify the mode again and start from the start?

You don't have to beat Into the Fire to qualify Barrel Escape. So anytime you played Into the Fire twice in the previous code, that would have equated to Into the Fire and Barrel Escape in the new code.

To qualify Barrel Escape, you must do the following AFTER playing Into the Fire:
1. Start Smaug MB
2. Start Beast Frenzy
3. Start Feast Frenzy
4. Beat 1 mode (maybe 2 not sure, but probably a difficulty setting)
5. Advance to Erebor (shoot enough spinners)

#1209 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I got to Barrel Escape an hour ago.

Did you get past stage 1? I butchered it big time lol

#1210 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So you can get into the Fire - drain the balls, and qualify for Barrel escape by doing those 5 things? makes sense I guess...wonder if there is a reward for completing the Arkenstone modes (towards another wizard mode).....Or if the Final wizard mode will be...complete all 3 arkenstone modes, and all 31 normal modes. That would be like....a 2 hour game

If you wanted to, I guess you could. Into the Fire is worth a good number of points. I'm sure Keith has plans of a final wizard mode which would probably mean defeating all of the movie wizard modes and defeating Smaug. I'm not sure if completing all 31 modes is even doable. Who knows though, I'm thinking Keith will try to have a mode similar to Valinor in LOTR in terms of difficulty to get to.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think it just became a little more doable with the new code. Mode lock is very cool. This just added a bunch of new strategy to the game. You will want to combine the locked mode balls with a hard mode since being in multiball would presumably make it easier to beat the mode.

Good point, I should never say anything is not doable. Just very hard. But knowing there is an end mode for completing all 31 modes would definitely give everyone something to shoot for. The main question then becomes if you don't complete a mode, can you play it again? I think that currently you are locked out of modes that you play but don't beat. This might be different with the code update and the hexagon boxes that was mentioned in the read me file. Lots of stuff for Keith to think about, but I'm sure he will come up with something awesome.

#1214 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Hey Rob, after starting a mode with 2 balls, the mode finsihes and there is a 'treasure hunt?' can you start another mode while you still have 2 balls or do you need 1 ball to drain to start the next?

You can start the next mode. Essentially a free ball in play at this point.

#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I guess that will make the modes a bit easier and quicker to go through!
i found the post. Only took me 20 minutes. Off the JJP forums. Was in April last year
-----------
Similar to how you can do the 6 LOTR Ring modes in any order, and start the Movie MBs in any order, all of the top-end stuff can be done in any order as well. The 31 modes can be started in any order (provided you have the requisite qualifiers), but there will be reason to play them in certain orders should you choose to try to do so.
The 3 "arkenstone" modes will be played in order.
Then there will be the mode for finishing all 31 modes.
The the final final mode.
So, in some ways linear, others not so much. Maybe better to think of it as a whirlpool.
keith

Wow nice find! Well this sure gets very interesting. If Jack is right about code being close to 100% done by next month, then I guess we will find out soon enough. I think it is very safe to say that it is one of the deeper games in pinball history as all Keith Johnson games usually are.

#1219 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Absolutely. I'm thinking that the next update after this one will come with the last of the movie multiballs, Battle of the Five Armies, and then the one after that the final final wizard mode for completing all 31 main scene modes.
I still hope that there is some type of award / incentive added for completing the 31 scene modes. To play an Arkenstone mode you have to beat only one mode so 3 total for all of them. That leaves 28 other modes that only need to be completed then for the games final wizard mode? I hope that isn't the case.
Personally I would like to see some type of award system added for completing modes (thinking "Gift of the Elves") as well as maybe a multiball / mini wizard mode unlocked when a set number of them are completed. For example if you complete 6 modes you unlock something, 12, 24, etc.

Yeah that would be interesting as well. I think Keith will have a final wizard mode where you have to beat all movie multiballs, kill Smaug, and beat all 31 modes. The movie multiballs are not easy to complete the first time and there will need to be ways to be able to get back to them without qualifying all five arkenstones again. So my thought after all three movie multiballs have been played would be to use your suggestion of every 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 modes completed to be able to re-qualify any one of the three movie multiballs. Once qualified, the inserts should all flash and the ring button would be used to change which one the player wants to play. If a movie multiball is beaten, then that insert would remain solid on the playfield.

Maybe that's what Keith was getting at when he said there would be reasons to play certain modes in order.

#1229 7 years ago

1.30 utilizes the magnet a lot more than 1.21 did. I think the only time the magnets activated during 1.21 was during the pop bumper modes. You would shoot the orbit and the magnet would catch and drop the ball into the pops. I know one of the modes was Gathering of the Clouds. Then there was another mode where the loops and both ramps were lit and the mode wants the player to shoot the ramps. However, if you shot a spinner, the magnet would catch the ball and divert it to a ramp.

In 1.30, it is used for the Book Mode mb's, which happens a lot.

#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

news for the release date of the code 1.3?

Probably sometime this week. If you want the code, just email Jack and he will send you it.

#1240 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Smaug MB....
You get a certain amount of jackpots, and then the Super is lit
get Super and it advances to the next stage.
I think there are 4 stages
After that you are in Laketown and Smaug is f**king up the town
The Insert (load windlance) will be flashing purple i think.
you shot right ramp, it load winlance (you should be cradeling the ball on the left flipper if you can.
Press button and it chucks the ball int the right orbit
then it rolls down and you have to hit 1 (pretty sure its 1) Dwarf drop. That finishes it.
Its a special mode. You feel like the instructions on what to do towards the end of the MB should be in the middle of the screen.
I did it yesterday for the first time but only knew after watching lots of footage online.

Pretty much correct. After hitting the ramps, spinners, and holes enough times, the MAN targets will start to flash. You then must hit any of the MAN targets, which then lights ARF targets. Hit any one of those to to destroy SMAUG some more. Then MAN targets will be flashing again so hit those and then the two ARF targets that you didn't hit will be lit and you must hit one of those. Finally, you have to hit the MAN targets again, and the right ramp will light. Shoot the right ramp which diverts it to the left shooter. Press the ring button, and you must hit the stand up target that is flashing red (one of ARF stand ups). It is the only one with the drop target not up depicting his missing scale. If you hit any other target, you must repeat this final step of hitting the MAN targets and loading with right ramp and finally hitting the correct scale.

I just finished a game where I got to Into the Fire and Barrel Escape three times each. Killed Smaug once, but missed the final scale shot 5 times on my second attempt to kill him. This game is so intense!

13838030_1237396956293088_61140528_o_(resized).jpg13838030_1237396956293088_61140528_o_(resized).jpg

#1245 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Like I said, I don't know how I killed Smaug
Theres a lot of action going on with multiple mb's. Wonder if it's better with only two balls to kill Smaug or let the craziness of 4-5 balls hitting targets.

In my opinion, it is much easier to defeat Smaug with 2 balls and not in Beast Frenzy. However, starting beast frenzy usually happens and prolongs the multiball making it easier to even get the opportunity of killing Smaug. It can be done with one very good multiball stacked with beast frenzy and book mode mb, but most of the time it takes 2 or 3 separate attempts. Progress is saved, so I'm figuring that killing smaug will be something a player must do in order to get to the final wizard mode once that is implemented.

#1247 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Massive score.
Did you finish any arkenstone modes those 3 times each? I got into the part of barrel escape yesterday that you need to shoot 10 or so pics. And the way you do it is to shoot the ramp.. The divertor goes down and the ball doss a uturn ans you need to smash the orc. So doing that 10 times during multiball is just 1 stage! I got down to 2 more hits and lost the ball.
Wonder if people cannot progress and when code is done if Keith will allow people to continue like in LOTR.
Would almost be like cheating.
Has anyone finished either mode yet?

Nope, they are super tough. I've gotten to victory laps with Into the Fire, but it doesn't happen very often. Skyemont sent me a video of Barrel Escape victory laps which was pretty cool, he still wasn't exactly sure what to do each stage. I flame out every time in the second stage with the U-Turn ramps. I want to say I had 2 more orcs left but drained.

I hope that when all the final wizard modes are in, that your progress for each arkenstone mode is saved and you can go back and beat them in order to get to the final wizard mode.

#1254 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Thought of something else...you can get a "sneak in" lock for the modes if you dribble a ball into the passage above Smaug when the orbits aren't lit for locks. Cool little touch.
I had a bonus of 365k that I almost tilted away too. Thankfully, I didn't!

Great game! I thought there was a big difference between 1.10 and 1.21, but I honestly think an even bigger difference between 1.21 and 1.30. The mode ball lock is a game changer as well as treasure hunt and wind lance awards. It also becomes much easier to complete modes later in the game since the difficulty of the beasts is higher meaning less times you have to worry about them popping up.

#1258 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Oh yes, windlance awards: I got a double pf award from that last night!!
As awesome as the game is, I'm worried it's actually becoming too easy.

Easy from what standpoint? I think the rules yield to very long ball times especially with the addition of Book Mode mb. Then it's much easier to get to Into the Fire and Barrel Escape. But I think beating those two modes is extremely hard as well as beating some of the individual modes. I still have yet to come remotely close to playing all 31 modes in one game, which is rumored to be the final wizard mode.

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Easy in the sense that I'm having close to 45 minute long games and playing 6 Arkenstone modes in a game. Granted, I only beat Into the Fire once (got close on Barrel Escape) and some modes really are difficult to beat. Somehow I collected around 5-6 extra balls. It just seems that, like LOTR, after a long game you don't feel like pressing start again for a while. We'll see how the code finishes up though. Lots of stuff to come yet.

Yeah I know what you mean. I think going into it you are going to have to accept that it's a grind. I think the modes diversify it well enough where you aren't shooting for the same things all of the time. Here are the different ways I've seen to get an extra ball lit.

1. Mystery award from the mystery target
2. 25 captive ball hits
3. 50 captive ball hits (I think)
4. Kicking over enough barrels
5. Windlance award
6. Qualify all the modes and hit the roaming drop target
7. Treasure Hunt??? Very unsure on this

#1267 7 years ago

^^^ Having similar issues

#1272 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

expect to see ramp flaps in the repair kit to ship soon. I don't know if they are same size or modified. We'll see, but in the meantime ...

So the kit that will be released soon will contain new ramp flaps? On the live stream, I remember hearing 12 springs for the drop targets and the 4 beast mech fixes.

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I have yet to beat Smaug. It's in one of the modes you can unlock, right? I know I've tried hitting him a few times with the windlance, but with zero success. Loving the new beta code, btw!

Smaug is defeated during Smaug mb. Look at my post in the "Hobbit Ruleset" thread for rules.

#1390 7 years ago

I was hoping for a ramp flap fix in this kit too, but this will do. Big shout out to JJP for doing this.

1 week later
#1539 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Comments on 1.3 code:
This update has changed the way I play.
I no longer "chop wood" endlessly to get mutiballs and high scores.
My game is now about collecting runes to get into the "into the fire and Barrel escape" modes.
The sooner I can: complete a mode, finish Smaug MB (usually get all the dwarves during MB), kill the beasts, and get to erebor, the better.
I get great satisfaction upon completing the modes and learning new things about the game each time I play.
Into the fire and barrel escape are such a rush! I want to get to them as soon as possible!
One thing I noticed is that its way harder to get to Erebor via the spinners with the book MB addition as the ball returns via the ramp instead of going thru the spinner to advance.
I also like the ability to turn pages in the book via the flippers while the ball is on the wireform. If you get lucky you can scroll thru to a single task mode to get your rune.
With all of this I can get to a million points in 15 mins vs 40 mins on a good game.
Until now I never postponed the lock feature, but now depending on whats going on, I do it a lot.
I havent killed Smaug or finished Into the fire, I just dont know how to do it...!
Maybe there's a video on it...

I think I explained most of the rules in either this thread or the Hobbit Rulesheet thread. But here are the basics for Into the Fire and Smaug mb.

Into the Fire: Stage 1 = collect enough members to light the super jackpot which is collected at the left ramp. The stand up targets (9 of them), 2 spinners, 2 ramps, left hole, and captive ball all represent a member. Collecting super jackpot adds a ball into play and begins Stage 2. Stage 2 = hit 3 drop targets to raise the Warg. Hit the Warg. Repeat this cycle 5 times. Super jackpot is collected at the captive ball and adds a ball into play and begins Stage 3. Stage 3: hit 10 beasts as they randomly pop up. Every beast but the bottom left will potentially pop up. After hitting 10 beasts, both the Goblin and Orc will both stand up and you have to collect the jackpot by shooting through the two beasts and hitting the captive ball. This collets the super jackpot and advances to Stage 4. Stage 4: shoot a ramp to raise three beasts (warg, goblin, orc). Hit the beasts 15 times total. Ideally, this would mean 5 ramp shots and hitting each beast when they pop up. However, each ramp shot raises all 3 beasts again even if all haven't been collected since the last ramp shot. After collecting all 15 beasts, you then shoot the super jackpot at the right ramp, which adds a ball into play and advances the player to Stage 5. Stage 5: victory laps! The goal is to collect all 15 members at increasing point values. Once again, the 15 members are the 9 stand ups, 2 ramps, 2 spinners, left hole, and captive ball. You will know you are in victory laps when you hear the awesome music and Bilbo and Gandalf flying on the some animals over a valley.

Smaug mb: collect enough of the ramps, holes, and spinners. Then whenever you see the MAN targets lit red, you are close to defeating smaug. Hit any MAN target, which then lights the ARF targets. Hit any of those targets to relight the MAN targets. Hit MAN targets again and then hit one of the two remaining ARF targets. Repeat step one more time. Then finally, the right ramp will be the only jackpot lit indicating that the ball will be diverted to the windlance. The player then must press the ring button and the first switch that needs to be hit is the lit stand up target that is red (one of the ARF targets) indicating Smaug's missing scale. You will know when you hit the right one

If you don't hit the right target, then the player must hit a MAN target and reload the right ramp and try to hit the missing scale. Good luck! Easy to do without beast frenzy going, very hard to do with it going. FYI.

#1608 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

The rules sound pretty deep with 33(?) modes. I have also heard it has longer ball times? I think that is part of the problem with GB for my wife. 30-40 second ball times and laddered progression for her is a bit of a buzz kill. Like most people she wants to feel she is progressing in her game and not just draining before she accomplishes anything. She played WoZ for the first time 2 weeks ago and really liked it.
So sell me on why The Hobbit would be a good choice for a small 2 game collection, paired with Metallica. I have also watched some videos but if anyone has links to some good HD videos with nice sound, it would be appreciated. I send an email to a local distributor tonight for pricing, I hope to be joining the club soon.

The game is one of the best looking games ever made, the rules are deep and continue to progress, 31 different modes make all games somewhat different, the sound and video integration is quite possibly the best in pinball, easy to learn the basics yet hard to master. I think it is a solid game to pair with Metallica (great game BTW) which is faster paced and all about building up to Crank It Up. The hobbit is a touch slower and is more of a shooters game, it definitely takes you into the Middle Earth feel and is a journey to get to the end goals of the game. Overall, the excitement this game brings during the multiballs is what really makes it special in my opinion.

I have had no issues with build quality or gameplay. JJP customer support is top notch.

I have yet to get much into Ghostbusters myself. I don't care for the mode progression and every one I have played the flippers are too strong resulting in too many air balls and frustrating drains. But I will keep trying!

#1609 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Question about the "Load Arrow" light in the left outlane: what does it do? Whenever it's lit the ball drains right past it and I see no registration of anything. The Windlance post works and the Windlance fires correctly- and even saves if the ball goes right back into that outlane. Does the "Load Arrow" set up a Windlance shot on the next ball? Please enlighten me!

I want to say the Load Arrow means the next mode that is started, the player will get the chance to shoot the arrow in hopes of hitting the correct MAN targets, which would award either 2x scoring, 2x mode scoring, light extra ball, add more time, or points.

#1610 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks pinballer0415, that's the best written summary to beat Smaug I've read. However, I don't remember hitting the ring button when I first (and only) time beat Smaug.

It might shoot out automatically after a certain number of seconds...

#1611 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks pinballer ... going to have to print that out until it gets into the unofficial rulesheet that is in that thread. Then ... ... I'll definitely need a "coach" to guide me through all that wall playing. This is a two "player" game ... one person plays while the other one coaches. Can't wait for my TH to arrive in a month or so.

Having someone next to you definitely helps, but I also enjoy learning things on the fly while playing the game. I have made it very deep into the game, yet continue to constantly see/hear new things. Good way to keep players coming back. The secret mode lock was awesome the first time it happened.

#1625 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I just finished a 40 min game. Couldnt complete a singe mode. The one ring was impossible, I couldnt make a single ramp shot. No into the fire, no barrel escape, just a bunch of multiballs... 2.4 million score, Im disgusted with myself, the game kicked my a$$.
I cant wait to play it again..The game just ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know your feeling, good score without playing any of the Arkenstone modes. I just had an opposite experience, 4.2 million, and beat at least half of the modes I played. My goblin stopped working the last 3 balls so that halted any progress to Arkenstone modes. Had at least 10 chances to kill Smaug, but couldn't do it. Beast Frenzy makes it so difficult to hit the correct shot.

2 months later
#2236 7 years ago

Another great update! Battle of the Five Armies is awesome and challenging. Game is very multiball heavy and ball times are long after earning extra balls. I had to stop after ball 1 (including 5 extra balls) of 5.7 million because it took an hour.

Wishlist: Arkenstone modes save progress, pause game feature

Modes are very important now as is end of ball bonus. Great work by Keith and the team!

3 months later
#2801 7 years ago

You don't have to beat a mode to have it show completed. Just have lot beat one mode to advance towards next Arkenstone mode. Very impressive game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=pinballer0415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.